• RustyRightPeg

• GinRummy

• Sooks

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete Elliott
1 hour ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

200 odd appearances 50 goals... branded lazy like shankland look how that one's going 👀

:cornette:

25 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

The difference between Lawrence Shankland and Jamie Walker both being branded lazy is that one of them is lazy and the other is Lawrence Shankland.

Is of course the correct answer 👍🏻

PhoenixHearts
1 minute ago, Pete Elliott said:

:cornette:

Is of course the correct answer 👍🏻

I liked Jamie Walker, I really did. But there's just no getting away from the fact his second stint here he just seemed to lack that ambition and maturity.

Even going back to his first spell when it was Walker here and McGinn at Hibs I used to say that Walker was destined for bigger things as he had more skill and natural talent than McGinn, but the way their respective careers have gone since then is obviously very different. For me it all comes down to application and desire. The only things Walker lacked.

McGinn was always very agricultural and not a very attractive footballer (both figuratively and literally) but he made up for it with drive and now he's reaping the benefits with Scotland and as a Premier League captain.

Thats the most I'll ever praise an ex-hibs player... Feel a bit grotty.

8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

County just sold someone to Exeter. Not Dhanda.

ben purrington left back

Pete Elliott

Supposed to be a decent prospect this guy:

IMG_6477.jpeg.f5fff9ebd32aed73bf65a1fea6954de2.jpeg

Put him together in midfield with the Ross County guy and we’ll be looking just great imo.

Agentjambo
7 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Supposed to be a decent prospect this guy:

IMG_6477.jpeg.f5fff9ebd32aed73bf65a1fea6954de2.jpeg

Put him together in midfield with the Ross County guy and we’ll be looking just great imo.

Take it this is a poor joke?

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

This. Personally I think he was only given a new deal to protect the development payment. 

Scunthorpe had an option to buy but their financial issues scuppered that. Probably would have covered the dev fee. 

Jackhmfc1348

Been a very quiet transfer window for every club weirdly 

Was expecting Aberdeen and hibs to bring in a few signings but none so far,same with every club 

maybe it’s to do with the amount teams spent in the summer ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Jackhmfc1348 said:

Been a very quiet transfer window for every club weirdly 

Was expecting Aberdeen and hibs to bring in a few signings but none so far,same with every club 

maybe it’s to do with the amount teams spent in the summer ?

January a tough window, you will find it hard to replace anyone decent, not much quality to be had for any value 

1 hour ago, Rods said:

Smith is not going to get game time at Hearts 

He is not trusted by the management or so I have heard on the grapevine.

Use him as a makeweight for the Dhanda deal. 

Smith is not good enough for us. 

Any info, in depth stats on Callum Talbot Melbourne City FC? Seems to be another decent Aussie RB. 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I liked Jamie Walker, I really did. But there's just no getting away from the fact his second stint here he just seemed to lack that ambition and maturity.

Even going back to his first spell when it was Walker here and McGinn at Hibs I used to say that Walker was destined for bigger things as he had more skill and natural talent than McGinn, but the way their respective careers have gone since then is obviously very different. For me it all comes down to application and desire. The only things Walker lacked.

McGinn was always very agricultural and not a very attractive footballer (both figuratively and literally) but he made up for it with drive and now he's reaping the benefits with Scotland and as a Premier League captain.

Also, and I don’t know how to say this without it being incredibly insulting, Walker didn’t have enough intelligence to bridge the gap between being talented and exceptionally talented. We see it all the time in Scotland, natural talent in abundance, but players that haven’t given a **** about education since primary school and all they know is hanging about with their dingbat mates. He seems a nice lad, but I’d wager if I said “look, there’s a dead bird” he’d look up to the sky and say “where?!?”…

GorgieFifeLife
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

He would probably score more than Tavares right enough

Tagawa you mean👍🏻

lost in space
46 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Take it this is a poor joke?

It's a fine and dandy joke.........

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I hear we're also in for Paisley Panda!

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Once had a star from Uganda 

If he fails to score in his first game, there will shouts on here to put him on a plane to Rwanda.

All roads lead to Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

If he fails to score in his first game, there will shouts on here to put him on a plane to Rwanda.

For us that wouldn't be great propaganda

Mikey1874
3 hours ago, ericb said:

I would not swap Connor Smith for dhanda, also has Connor posted for us this season?, could scupper another loan.

Connor Smith has only played for Scunthorpe this season. It was previously Hamilton he was at last season which could be an option.

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

The difference between Lawrence Shankland and Jamie Walker both being branded lazy is that one of them is lazy and the other is Lawrence Shankland.

I never thought Walker was lazy. Ill advised, unfocused at times and didn’t do a lot of the things a top footballer should be doing as a given, especially when he was young and coming through. Could have taken his talent a lot further than he did. On his day he was a great player. His lifestyle and attitude ensured that his day didn’t come often enough. It wasn’t laziness, it was daft laddieness 

8 hours ago, Chimp said:

Lafferty aside, I think Isma was the last one to hit that kind of return. Sure he was about 15 goals in a season.

Boyce was signed after Isma left and scored 16 in both his 1st and 2nd seasons (albeit one was the Championship). We def miss having more goals across the team and not just Lawrence.

feedthefox

I feel like a total Luke McCowan fanboy but I question my whole take on football (coached youth football for 10yrs) that nobody has taken him from Dundee, just don't understand why Savage or whoever is supposed to be monitoring (affordable) Scottish talent hasn't been tracking him and moved in.

Edited by feedthefox

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Carter said:

Smith is not good enough for us. 

Correct.

Has obviously done well at Scunthorpe but in no way does that mean he can come back here and be effective. It's non-league. Imagine we signed someone from non-league haha - people would absolutely lose their shit! 

Lowry is better. And even he's struggling to properly make an impact. Denholm is also better. 

Smith would do alright at Livi or someone. Not Hearts. Not suggesting it's possible but if County would take him in PX for Dhanda, I'd be more than happy to let him go. 

Edited by Batistuta87

feedthefox
3 hours ago, Rods said:

Smith is not going to get game time at Hearts 

He is not trusted by the management or so I have heard on the grapevine.

Use him as a makeweight for the Dhanda deal. 

Smith is essentially Denholm, neither have offered anything beyond effort.

Aussie Jambo

Sean Wilson. Ex Liverpool and youth team. RB. Still young. Cheap as chips. Might do a job?

IMG_0104.jpeg

FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Solid at the back, competitive but careful in midfield, waiting on our superstar upfront  to conjure something up once or twice a game is another way of describing it. Think we have won 7/11 league games by a single goal.   Only time we have really let loose this season was against thistle in LC. 
Agree entirely re the players needed.   We can all see it. Will the three slots be filled come Feb 1? 

Yes, just not an entirely accurate way of describing it!

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Sean Wilson. Ex Liverpool and youth team. RB. Still young. Cheap as chips. Might do a job?

IMG_0104.jpeg

You been on the XXXX? 

Aussie Jambo
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

You been on the XXXX? 

Yes. Have it on my cornflakes every morning.
£25k. I see he’s gone from them to two random teams I’ve never heard of in England and Wales. But if he was at Liverpool he can’t be that bad. Or could he? 

FarmerTweedy

That’s makes him a 12-14 goal per season striker. Need more from him than that. 

No we don't. Certainly not if we keep Shankland. Having a first striker scoring 20-odd (or maybe even more 🤞) goals per season and a second striker scoring 12-14 is something almost every club would give bite your hand off for.  If you think that wouldn't be good going for us, your expectations are totally unrealistic and you're living, quite frankly, in dreamland. 

Admittedly, if Shankland goes, we'd probably need either Vargas to get closer to the 20-odd mark and someone else to get to the 12-14 range, or someone else to come straight in to the 20-odd range (or close to it), but until then, 12-14 would be just fine from Vargas.  Of course, it remains to be seen if Vargas is actually going to deliver even 12-14 per season or if his last two games are an aberration! 

Where we really need more goals from is the midfield! 

42 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

I feel like a total Luke McCowan fanboy but I question my whole take on football (coached youth football for 10yrs) that nobody has taken him from Dundee, just don't understand why Savage or whoever is supposed to be monitoring (affordable) Scottish talent hasn't been tracking him and moved in.

This is his first season up with Dundee. Probably too soon for anyone to take any real notice yet. 

FWIW, I would take him too. Looks a player you want to watch. 

Arthur Morgan
Just now, OTT said:

This is his first season up with Dundee. Probably too soon for anyone to take any real notice yet. 

FWIW, I would take him too. Looks a player you want to watch. 

By that time he wouldn't be available to us though. Better to go for them when there is less interest imo. 

FarmerTweedy

Will be delighted if he gets 12-14 this season. I was talking about a full season based on what a posted thought he would score from now until end of this season. At the moment he is shaping up to be a 5-6 goal season striker. 

That's completely ignoring the circumstances of him joining the club as a young guy from halfway across the world, with the club fully expecting him to take time to settle, and him often being played out of position as a winger rather than a striker. It's just wilful ignorance on your part.

I could be just as wilfully ignorant as you and argue that he started off poorly, but hit form, and at the moment he is shaping up to be a 50-51 goal a season striker, based on him scoring two in his last game and a half, but that would be just as idiotic as your 5-6 claim, so I won't! 

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I’m not suggesting bringing him back.  Another poster mentioned him.  If he did come back I’m sure he would make more impact than some of the players we have recently signed.

He would make zero impact now. He made negligible impact last time he was here.

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, OTT said:

Deserves a chance in the first team tbh. 

I'm not saying he does or he doesn't, as I've not actually been watching his games for Scunthorpe, but while his stats are good there, it is regional football, the 6th tier in England, and those stars alone are nowhere near enough to give any indication as to whether he deserves a chance in our first team.

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

People don't appreciate the work Shankland has to put into towing that caravan! 

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Tbf, I think he also lacked knees that weren't made of broken meccano bits!  I think what appeared to some people to be laziness was more a physical inability to run anymore due to his knees being shot.  If he's actually still playing regularly down south and doing well, I think it'll be because at the level he's playing at now, he's got the superior skill level to compensate for not being able to run. Up here, although the standard isn't great, it's high enough that his skill couldn't compensate. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

£25k. I see he’s gone from them to two random teams I’ve never heard of in England and Wales. But if he was at Liverpool he can’t be that bad. Or could he? 

Breakfast of champions 👍🏻

Mate, Connor Randall and Micheal Ngoo were at Liverpool. Ben Woodburn actually played for their first team. More than once! 

Along with Chelsea they are notorious for just absolutely hoovering up players. They have over 100 players registered with their U18 and U23 squads. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

You know absolutely nothing about the guy.

Does he have a YouTube video?

Does he have a sleeve tattoo?

Does he have a pronoun?

RustyRightPeg
7 hours ago, feedthefox said:

We’ve obviously had eyes on Dundee players. We moved in for Lyall Cameron in the summer before he signed a new deal.

soonbe110
7 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yes, just not an entirely accurate way of describing it!

Close though. 

soonbe110

No we don't. Certainly not if we keep Shankland. Having a first striker scoring 20-odd (or maybe even more 🤞) goals per season and a second striker scoring 12-14 is something almost every club would give bite your hand off for.  If you think that wouldn't be good going for us, your expectations are totally unrealistic and you're living, quite frankly, in dreamland. 

Admittedly, if Shankland goes, we'd probably need either Vargas to get closer to the 20-odd mark and someone else to get to the 12-14 range, or someone else to come straight in to the 20-odd range (or close to it), but until then, 12-14 would be just fine from Vargas.  Of course, it remains to be seen if Vargas is actually going to deliver even 12-14 per season or if his last two games are an aberration! 

Where we really need more goals from is the midfield! 

I’m very much thinking of your second para scenario. When he goes, not if imo, we need more than 12-14 from a couple of the strikers that replace him. 
Agree re midfield but if your squad is full of defensive minded midfield players it’s not going to happen. 

the_jailer
7 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Been impressed with him every time I’ve seen him play. He definitely has something about him. Think he would be a decent signing for us 

soonbe110

That's completely ignoring the circumstances of him joining the club as a young guy from halfway across the world, with the club fully expecting him to take time to settle, and him often being played out of position as a winger rather than a striker. It's just wilful ignorance on your part.

I could be just as wilfully ignorant as you and argue that he started off poorly, but hit form, and at the moment he is shaping up to be a 50-51 goal a season striker, based on him scoring two in his last game and a half, but that would be just as idiotic as your 5-6 claim, so I won't! 

Time will tell.  He has been played on the wing for what reason if he was signed as a striker? We lost our front man at the end of last season. He was brought in to replace him, along with Tagawa. Neither have done anything yet  to suggest they are good enough to hold down that position on a regular basis. Nothing wilful or ignorant about it. Just what I see when I watch us play.  Project players. We can’t afford to have several of those at the same time. 

soonbe110
6 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Tbf, I think he also lacked knees that weren't made of broken meccano bits!  I think what appeared to some people to be laziness was more a physical inability to run anymore due to his knees being shot.  If he's actually still playing regularly down south and doing well, I think it'll be because at the level he's playing at now, he's got the superior skill level to compensate for not being able to run. Up here, although the standard isn't great, it's high enough that his skill couldn't compensate. 

Spot on.  Attitude and knees stopped him reaching the highest levels in our game. Whether the attitude came about through frustration with the injuries who knows?  I suspect it was a major factor. 

33 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m very much thinking of your second para scenario. When he goes, not if imo, we need more than 12-14 from a couple of the strikers that replace him. 
Agree re midfield but if your squad is full of defensive minded midfield players it’s not going to happen. 

You're spot on about the type of midfield player we've elected to recruit. Nothing personal against either, but it's pretty depressing when you sign a player who makes so little impact as Kio did and you move him on and bring in someone similarly beige in Nieuwenhof. I'm not sure that a club like Hearts in this domestic environment should have such a requirement to have assembled so many 'safe' midfield options.

8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Agreed. 

kingantti1874

What position does Mcowan play? I have to confess I watch very little of Scottish football outside of hearts. 

JimmyCant
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What position does Mcowan play? I have to confess I watch very little of Scottish football outside of hearts. 

Generally left in a midfield 3. Similar to where we play Lowry or McKay 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Hearts Winter Transfer Window 2024 SLAMS SHUT***