Employment advice

Taffin

Hello folks.

Just after a bit of advice frmo the KB masses on behalf of my girlfriend really.

She is starting to be forced out of her job and thinks that she is going to be asked to leave within the next few weeks and we (I, as I'm ****ed off) are trying to find out where she stands.

She works at a Horse Stables, doing the treks, lessons, general yard work etc, and has been working there for about 3 years on varying levels.

At the start of her year out she went full time there and did that for 7 months but the pay was terrible and worked at another job for a month and only did nightyard at the stables. She decided to go back though but only wanted to do part time and her manager agrees as it was the management that offered her the daytime roles again. However it ended up she was forced into doing 5 days a week with one of the days being made up of 2 nightyards that she had said she was only willing to do one of but was told that it was her responsiblility to find another member of staff to do one if she didnt want both.

Anyway, in the last week or so, she has been told that she isn't a 'grafter' which tbh is a load of rubbish, she was doing 14 hour shifts somedays over the winter and having seen her she certainly wasn't not putting in graft. She has in turn been told that they need a full time member and not someone doing 4days a week.

So she confronted the manager yesterday and she was assured that she was still wanted and that they wanted her plus another full time. Yet today is when she was told her heart isn't in it and she isn't a 'grafter'. She works all day for 4.50 and hour with minimal pleasures or perks because she loves what she does, her heart is in it for sure.

She now feels she is being slowly forced out more and more, and is now considering quitting.

My thoughts are that she shouldn't be feeling that she is being forced to quit, as basically they are applying pressure to get her to go as they no longer want her but have no acceptable reason to sack her.

Any thoughts/advice.

Cheers guys.:confused:

The Old Tolbooth

Does she have a contents insurance policy in her own name? Or even if she lives at her parents house, does her parents have one?

It might sound an obscure question to ask regarding your opening post, however if there is legal expenses cover on the policy then it might be worth giving them a call and running the scenario past them to see where she stands. If they take the case on then all she would need to pay in legal fees is the excess (normally ?50-?100) and she won't get hit with legal bills.

Most policies cover contractual disagreements, or constructive unfair dismissal by an employer.

The Old Tolbooth
Get her pumped.

Cant believe JM missed that out.

Damn, I had my serious head on for a rare change :)

Can I ask you firstly

How long has she been there continuously?

What age is she?

What other financial perks does she get with the job?

Can I ask you firstly

How long has she been there continuously?

What age is she?

What other financial perks does she get with the job?

She has been there, at varying levels of employment (ie 10 hours up to 50 hours per week) since she turned 16 so, 2.5 years.

She is 18, and as far as I am aware, other than discounted jumping classes there are no other financial perks.

Hope this helps.

ps. cheers john, ill ask her about that.

pps. She has been

?4.50 an hour?! Bloody hell; I just sit about reading in a bookies all day, and I get much more than that!

Either way, she shouldn't quit.

Hi Taylor

The reason I asked about her age was to find out if she was being underpaid and yes she is, albeit by 10p per hour but that should also be backdated to her 18th birthday. If not the Low pay Commission would need to know. If she wants to talk to someone there for advice on how to deal with this issue the number is 0845 6000 678

Her employer if they wish to move her on must follow all procedures to do so, if she is feeling like she is being in any way victimised she should raise a grievance, sometimes this can be difficult if there is only one person running the business especially for an 18 year old who is scared for her job. She should however keep in mind that she has the law on her side, but she can't just leave without following the grievance steps and file for constructive dismissal. If she does take a grievance against a certain member of staff/management she should always take a witness into this meeting. Does the company have a proper grievance procedure? Do they have a handbook detailing her employment terms? Feel free to PM me.

blondejamtart

I would also suggest she contact the CAB or ACAS - both are very good at giving accurate advice on employment matters. As jambo121 has said though, she does have the law on her side, so try not to let her feel bullied into leaving. I can sympathise though - from first-hand experience I know that stables/riding school proprietors can sometime not be the best of employers! It's also a line of work that many folk tend to stick with under trying circumstances because they love the job!

If she is being underpaid, could she not resign, then sue claiming constructive dismissal, take them for a couple of grand plus the backdated pay, take Taylor for a wee holiday, get him pumped, and then just come home and find a similar job?

Sawdust Caesar

She should also keep her wage slips as evidence of being underpaid. Will help HMRC if/when they take legal action against the employer to get the shortfall in wages paid to her.

Archived