Football side / Business side / The Board

Selkirkhmfc1874

Selkirkhmfc1874

Off the field we've never been in a better state with new stand , various improvements around the ground and hotel on the way.

The football side of the club has been letting down the supporters after blowing 3rd last season and yesterday's performance was shambolic, after last seasons total collapse there's players there that can't be trusted and there's far too many with losers mentality.

The supporters demand and deserve much better than what we are getting from those players who being well paid by HMFC.

Getting beat up at dundee can happen but getting beat with lack of fight , hunger , desire and giving everything for the famous badge is unacceptable.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• Bull's-eye

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

Ministryofdad

No one ever said supporting hearts was going to be easy or good. 

Next time enjoy the good times. 

I still want us to win a league cup before I die 

As a football club one should trickle, or flow would be a better word from one to the other, it seems we as a club seem to be different in that regard. I may be wrong, and I hope someone will post to enlighten us , but, it seems as though they’re run as separate entities.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
45 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Off the field we've never been in a better state with new stand , various improvements around the ground and hotel on the way.

The football side of the club has been letting down the supporters after blowing 3rd last season and yesterday's performance was shambolic, after last seasons total collapse there's players there that can't be trusted and there's far too many with losers mentality.

The supporters demand and deserve much better than what we are getting from those players who being well paid by HMFC.

Getting beat up at dundee can happen but getting beat with lack of fight , hunger , desire and giving everything for the famous badge is unacceptable.

Are we that good off the field?

New stand, season tickets and the fans generally, properly back in the community. 

Other than that?

Think we should have waited a couple of seasons for hotel. If we had spent a little more on transfers last season 3rd would have been ours. We've let aberdeen catch up to us. (Only positive it is good for scottish football having a 4 good teams for europe coefficient) They don't have the pressure to sell a player now because they're getting 5 million. In the future we need to increase spending on players like we have this season. Think we'll be OK.

Actually I think the board will be pressured into spending money now. Every fan has got wise and are no mugs. Spend some dough on players or your days on the board are numbered. 

I'm starting to feel a lot of contempt for the team. They are getting unprecedented backing by the supporters, £1.4m being put into the coffers, fans selling out home and away fixtures and a real push to build the atmosphere in games. They're being asked to finish 3rd with the 3rd most resources and the 3rd biggest support in the league. Its not unreasonable. 

This seemingly lackadaisical approach to away games is arguably more insulting than anything else because the financial commitment to follow Hearts away is even more expensive than at home because of needing to factor in train tickets and the time commitment to travel up and down the country (and abroad!). I think there is a culture or mentality that its okay to lose away games. Something that takes the edge off the team - as the OP highlights the fight, hunger and desire wasn't there and in quite a few away games its been the same old story there over the last the few seasons. With the resources at the teams disposal we shouldn't be regularly dropping points on the road to bottom 6 teams, yet we do. These venues aren't intimidating, there really is no excuse for it. 

3 games in 😆😆😆😆😆

Seriously, supporters go on about dropping players when they have a Weston Super, maybe some supports should step away for a few weeks, take deep breaths, lower the lunatic expectations snd get back on the Nag and enjoy the Football.

The irony of it all is all these negative moaning winers who think they're experts wouldn't get anywhere near a Football club with all the moaning they do.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Are we that good off the field?

New stand, season tickets and the fans generally, properly back in the community. 

Other than that?

people just say it - probably never seen the accounts nor would understand them if they had

just about 10 years later and we’re still paying back queen Ann 

:qqb006:

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

3 games in 😆😆😆😆😆

Seriously, supporters go on about dropping players when they have a Weston Super, maybe some supports should step away for a few weeks, take deep breaths, lower the lunatic expectations snd get back on the Nag and enjoy the Football.

The irony of it all is all these negative moaning winers who think they're experts wouldn't get anywhere near a Football club with all the moaning they do.

13 games in to Naismith being in charge with a full pre-season into the mix.

4 wins from 13.

Absolutely woeful performances in 6 of those games. 

The Treasurer
14 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

people just say it - probably never seen the accounts nor would understand them if they had

The accounts are there for anyone to see. 

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Mrs Budge had been paid in full 

16 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

She gave us an extra loan after Covid started. The repayment terms were stated in the accounts.  

9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

13 games in to Naismith being in charge with a full pre-season into the mix.

4 wins from 13.

Absolutely woeful performances in 6 of those games. 

Super, fantastic, great stuff.

Not sure where it says in the terms and conditions that supporting a football club means you must turn into a slavering mess who's dying inside through sheer embarrassment and can't face the real world, instead head straight to the interweb device to tell everyone you know better and everything is Shit.

Must check my season ticket, maybe its in the small print.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
35 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

No one ever said supporting hearts was going to be easy or good. 

Next time enjoy the good times. 

I still want us to win a league cup before I die 

I genuinely expect to never see us win the League Cup. Our record in it is weird 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Super, fantastic, great stuff.

Not sure where it says in the terms and conditions that supporting a football club means you must turn into a slavering mess who's dying inside through sheer embarrassment and can't face the real world, instead head straight to the interweb device to tell everyone you know better and everything is Shit.

Must check my season ticket, maybe its in the small print.

I don’t know better. That’s just the reality of our form under Naismith.

Not sure why you don’t accept it and just get abusive?

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t know better. That’s just the reality of our form under Naismith.

Not sure why you don’t accept it and just get abusive?

Firstly,  I've said plenty times previously,  giving Naismith the job would end badly and very quickly, my estimate was gone by November.

I don't want that to happen.

It's not about Naismith though, is it.

The narrative because its a bit early to put the boot into a new coach is plain ridiculous, except for the hard of thinking of course. No, let's get battered in about finances and who's pocketing what, I've no doubt it'll all be Budge, Levein and Neilsons fault within 3 pages anyway.

It's absolutely bonkers, lower expectations and support the club, its really much more enjoyable  😜

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Firstly,  I've said plenty times previously,  giving Naismith the job would end badly and very quickly, my estimate was gone by November.

I don't want that to happen.

It's not about Naismith though, is it.

The narrative because its a bit early to put the boot into a new coach is plain ridiculous, except for the hard of thinking of course. No, let's get battered in about finances and who's pocketing what, I've no doubt it'll all be Budge, Levein and Neilsons fault within 3 pages anyway.

It's absolutely bonkers, lower expectations and support the club, its really much more enjoyable  😜

Oh. So you basically agree with me? (genuine question).

The only thing I disagree with is about lowering expectations - with a proper manager in place we should have good positive and hopeful expectations.

40 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm starting to feel a lot of contempt for the team. They are getting unprecedented backing by the supporters, £1.4m being put into the coffers, fans selling out home and away fixtures and a real push to build the atmosphere in games. They're being asked to finish 3rd with the 3rd most resources and the 3rd biggest support in the league. Its not unreasonable. 

This seemingly lackadaisical approach to away games is arguably more insulting than anything else because the financial commitment to follow Hearts away is even more expensive than at home because of needing to factor in train tickets and the time commitment to travel up and down the country (and abroad!). I think there is a culture or mentality that its okay to lose away games. Something that takes the edge off the team - as the OP highlights the fight, hunger and desire wasn't there and in quite a few away games its been the same old story there over the last the few seasons. With the resources at the teams disposal we shouldn't be regularly dropping points on the road to bottom 6 teams, yet we do. These venues aren't intimidating, there really is no excuse for it. 

Agreed.

With a few notable exceptions (Boyce, Atkinson & Devlin) the players just seemed to be going through the motions.

When you're away from home you need to roll up your sleeves and dig in.  Seems to me that a lot of them don't actually appreciate this.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
29 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Mrs Budge had been paid in full 

appears she gave us an extra loan(s) so no - not been paid in full 

maybe better worded as 10 years later and we’re still relying on loans from Queen Ann which we’re still paying back

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The only thing I disagree with is about lowering expectations - with a proper manager in place we should have good positive and hopeful expectations.

No I dont agree about woeful performances. 

We've play exactly as I expected us to play at the start of the season, we're inconsistent during the 90 minutes, have 11 players on the pitch at any given time that are capable of a brain  fart of epic proportions and have a coach who's still in his nappies in regards to the job.

Hence my post about threads like this in general, wasn't aimed at you personally, was aimed at all the other moaning whingbags as well 😀

30 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Accounts to FYE 30 June 2022 state that AB was due just over £3M. Repayment was to commence no later than November 2022 on a 2 year monthly full repayment basis.

Nobody has really come out and stated it but you can effectively state that FoH subscription from November 2022 to November 2024 are being used to repay her latest 2 loans. 

JA/FoH collectively introduced £6M in 2022 and £6.5M in 2021. Staff costs rose by almost £4M between 2021 and 2022. Would be reasonable to believe those costs will increase to FYE 30 June 2023 as will income have grown. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We've play exactly as I expected us to play at the start of the season, we're inconsistent during the 90 minutes, have 11 players on the pitch at any given time that are capable of a brain  fart of epic proportions and have a coach who's still in his nappies in regards to the job.

Hence my post about threads like this in general, wasn't aimed at you personally, was aimed at all the other moaning whingbags as well 😀

I’d say our 6 woeful performances have been:

Hibs away last season 

St Mirren away season

The 3 league games this season

Rosenberg away.

With a full pre-season we shouldn’t be performing like we did yesterday 6 games into the season.

**** sake even Levein when he signed 18 players in his first pre season had us at the top of the league playing decent football until Haring and Naismith got injured.

I don’t buy the fact that we need a “lead-in” time of more than 6 games to start putting performances together.

manaliveits105
8 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Agreed.

With a few notable exceptions (Boyce, Atkinson & Devlin) the players just seemed to be going through the motions.

When you're away from home you need to roll up your sleeves and dig in.  Seems to me that a lot of them don't actually appreciate this.

Or are physically unable to 

As can be seen in the EPL you need bigger athletes with strength speed and skill now - we are still signing too many small to average build players imo 

57 minutes ago, skacel103 said:

Think we should have waited a couple of seasons for hotel. If we had spent a little more on transfers last season 3rd would have been ours. We've let aberdeen catch up to us. (Only positive it is good for scottish football having a 4 good teams for europe coefficient) They don't have the pressure to sell a player now because they're getting 5 million. In the future we need to increase spending on players like we have this season. Think we'll be OK.

Actually I think the board will be pressured into spending money now. Every fan has got wise and are no mugs. Spend some dough on players or your days on the board are numbered. 

We never really caught up with Aberdeen I would say. They just had an off season.

manaliveits105
Just now, Tour22 said:

We never really caught up with Aberdeen I would say. They just had an off season.

for 40 years 

Glamorgan Jambo

Our fundamental problem is we are always prone to leaking a goal and we still give the ball away too much and too easily.

58 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We should never lower expectations, it’s just some fans can’t deal emotionally with it when it goes pear shaped.  People who don’t want expectations to be a bit higher are the “there’s always next week” mob and don’t mind an away defeat to Dundee.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Won't be paid in full until next November! Monthly FOH subs go into Mrs Budge bank account until November 2024

loveofthegame

I don't get it at all.

The club is, as has been said, in the best position financially and off the field in my 30 years as a ST holder. Those off the pitch and behind the scenes are doing all they can to back the team on it. But for whatever reason, we aren't seeing any major and tangible progress.

But then, neither are our rivals. Hibs and Aberdeen continue to yo-yo with a series of poor managerial appointments and duff signings.

Is it possible that perhaps we expect too much?! Is the whole Rangers and Celtic thing crippling us as we try "too hard" to find "gems" from markets that we can afford to play in and overcomplicating our signing strategy in a bid to try to plug the gap?! Should we be focussing more on youth and local (UK) markets in the main, with a very limited sprinkling of overseas additions (I'm purely playing devils advocate here btw!)?!

Or are we just simply appointing the wrong people?! But then as I say, we aren't alone in that when you look at manager turnover at Hibs and Aberdeen post-McInnes.

Or is it again that the "right people" aren't going to come to Hearts?! Are we looking for something that we won't find? This again goes back to expectations.

Finally, has it always been thus, or certainly in modern times, and we just have so many ways of venting our frustration these days (internet and social media) that we all get ourselves more worked up than ever before?!

I don't know the answer but I do know that expectations seem to be very high right now and that, for whatever reason, the team/management/board are struggling to meet those expectations!

I've no idea if this post makes any sense but I thought I'd run with it anyway... in conclusion, I'm a very frustrated punter right now with our start to the season.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Losers mentality who'll make excuses for any old rubbish I'm afraid ! Performances like yesterday should never be acceptable against dross like dundee with our resources 

Off the field the board should be applauded for the work they have done in turning the entire business/stadium around and the financial stability they have brought.

On the field they should be getting crucified for the endless short term, easy/cozy lacking ambition appointments they have made since Cathro was sacked. Only Stendal was out the box thinking and look how he was treated. After God knows how many weeks, they appoint " just along the corridor" Levein. They then took far,far to long to sack him and appointed Stendal, whilst allowing Levein to wander around the building. Why was that allowed to happen? They then appointed Neilson without having the courtesy to inform Stendal , who was open to discuss a renegotiated contract. They then for some reason gave Neilson,McCulloch and Forrest a 3 year extension to their contracts. Again they took to long to sack Neilson which has cost us £5 million gave Naismith the interim job, again taking forever to appoint him, trying to convince us that he was the best candidate although with no experience at all, over the other excellent applicants McKinley stated had applied. The next question is did they know the situation with SN and the licence , or did that come as a surprise. Every player we sign cannot have the wrong attitude as attitude and character are one of the key things they look at prior to signing them. All our issues over the past 5 or 6 years come down to the board's poor decision making in sacking and appointments as a result the coaches are not good enough/experienced enough get the best out of the players we have, and now we have the third best squad in the country. As in any business the buck stops at the top.

2 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

As in any business the buck stops at the top.

Who from the board, in your opinion should step down/be sacked? 

8 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Losers mentality who'll make excuses for any old rubbish I'm afraid ! Performances like yesterday should never be acceptable against dross like dundee with our resources 

Its a Football Club.

If all supporters had your gross immature logic then there would be no Football clubs left anywhere in the world except Glasgow.

The "losers mentality" tag line is ridiculous.

Personally i can shrug off a bit of disappointment and move on quickly.

Plainly, some cant.

Selkirkhmfc1874

I can shrug of a bad result it's part of football but what I can't accept is players not giving 100% for the badge 

51 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Won't be paid in full until next November! Monthly FOH subs go into Mrs Budge bank account until November 2024

Meaning Budge lent Hearts that money from her purse, up front.

She isn’t trousering FoH subs. 

34 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Off the field the board should be applauded for the work they have done in turning the entire business/stadium around and the financial stability they have brought.

On the field they should be getting crucified for the endless short term, easy/cozy lacking ambition appointments they have made since Cathro was sacked. Only Stendal was out the box thinking and look how he was treated. After God knows how many weeks, they appoint " just along the corridor" Levein. They then took far,far to long to sack him and appointed Stendal, whilst allowing Levein to wander around the building. Why was that allowed to happen? They then appointed Neilson without having the courtesy to inform Stendal , who was open to discuss a renegotiated contract. They then for some reason gave Neilson,McCulloch and Forrest a 3 year extension to their contracts. Again they took to long to sack Neilson which has cost us £5 million gave Naismith the interim job, again taking forever to appoint him, trying to convince us that he was the best candidate although with no experience at all, over the other excellent applicants McKinley stated had applied. The next question is did they know the situation with SN and the licence , or did that come as a surprise. Every player we sign cannot have the wrong attitude as attitude and character are one of the key things they look at prior to signing them. All our issues over the past 5 or 6 years come down to the board's poor decision making in sacking and appointments as a result the coaches are not good enough/experienced enough get the best out of the players we have, and now we have the third best squad in the country. As in any business the buck stops at the top.

Hard to argue with much/any of that.

28 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Who from the board, in your opinion should step down/be sacked? 

If there is no discernible improvement in the results/performances by the AGM in December, the coaching staff should be sacked and those on the board who wanted them appointed should stand down at the AGM. This endless nepotism within the club has to stop. Record season ticket sales, merchandising, corporate sold out most weeks, FOH money, yet we are no further forward than Aberdeen and not much ahead of Hibs. There is something far wrong. 

Why should we paying Mrs Budge anything? She is the de facto owner of the club, therefore she has a duty to put her hand in her pocket for the simple privilege of being said owner. Absolute brilliant arrangement where you can have all the benefits without the responsibility, or the financial penalties.
Mrs Budge should be coughing up out her own pocket for the privilege of being chairperson at Hearts

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Who said she was ? Think you'll find I'm one of Mrs Budge biggest backers within our support and hope she's here for a long time ! We lucky to have her as I've said many times 

1 minute ago, Hashimoto said:

Why should we paying Mrs Budge anything? She is the de facto owner of the club, therefore she has a duty to put her hand in her pocket for the simple privilege of being said owner. Absolute brilliant arrangement where you can have all the benefits without the responsibility, or the financial penalties.
Mrs Budge should be coughing up out her own pocket for the privilege of being chairperson at Hearts

Haha sorry that’s a load of silage from start to finish. 

Jambof3tornado
52 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Correct. Thats a terrible dundee side and we failed to trouble them.

3 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

She's not. We are paying her back ( I think £500000 each November ) until the money she gave us for the stand is repaid. To say she is trousering the FOH money is just plain wrong.

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Who said she was ? Think you'll find I'm one of Mrs Budge biggest backers within our support and hope she's here for a long time ! We lucky to have her as I've said many times 

Calm. I never said you did but I have to say on reflection you did say “FoH subs are going into Budge’s bank account until November 2024.

I’m allowed to point out (for the sake of impressionable forum users) that Budge is quite rightly being paid back her loan.

6 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

She's not. We are paying her back ( I think £500000 each November ) until the money she gave us for the stand is repaid. To say she is trousering the FOH money is just plain wrong.

We’ll said, but no one said she is trousering subs.

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Calm. I never said you did but I have to say on reflection you did say “FoH subs are going into Budge’s bank account until November 2024.

I’m allowed to point out (for the sake of impressionable forum users) that Budge is quite rightly being paid back her loan.

I answered a question but off course Mrs Budge should be paid back her money 

The Achilles heel of the board is the managerial/coaching appointments for me.

Happy to take business risks off the pitch which are paying off, happy to sanction the potentially risky signings on the pitch that look - for the most part - to be forming a decent squad. 

But there is a major blind spot when it comes to the most important jobs. Club seem to think taking the easy/safe/cheap option is the way to go. A good manager can elevate even a poor/mediocre squad into something better.

You watch our performance levels over the last 8 years and tell me our coaching teams have got the best out of the squads at their disposal. Our opponents each week can turn up with squads of half our value and look well drilled, fighting for everything. We, meanwhile, can’t even take a basic throw in.

1 minute ago, liam11 said:

The Achilles heel of the board is the managerial/coaching appointments for me.

Happy to take business risks off the pitch which are paying off, happy to sanction the potentially risky signings on the pitch that look - for the most part - to be forming a decent squad. 

But there is a major blind spot when it comes to the most important jobs. Club seem to think taking the easy/safe/cheap option is the way to go. A good manager can elevate even a poor/mediocre squad into something better.

You watch our performance levels over the last 8 years and tell me our coaching teams have got the best out of the squads at their disposal. Our opponents each week can turn up with squads of half our value and look well drilled, fighting for everything. We, meanwhile, can’t even take a basic throw in.

Agreed. I hate to say it but just look at the effect Neil Lennon had at Hibs. He turned them into a very hard team to beat by getting inside their heads and toughening them up mentally. That is what an experienced coach can do. It was what was required this season, but again we took the easy option.

1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

I don't get it at all.

The club is, as has been said, in the best position financially and off the field in my 30 years as a ST holder. Those off the pitch and behind the scenes are doing all they can to back the team on it. But for whatever reason, we aren't seeing any major and tangible progress.

But then, neither are our rivals. Hibs and Aberdeen continue to yo-yo with a series of poor managerial appointments and duff signings.

Is it possible that perhaps we expect too much?! Is the whole Rangers and Celtic thing crippling us as we try "too hard" to find "gems" from markets that we can afford to play in and overcomplicating our signing strategy in a bid to try to plug the gap?! Should we be focussing more on youth and local (UK) markets in the main, with a very limited sprinkling of overseas additions (I'm purely playing devils advocate here btw!)?!

Or are we just simply appointing the wrong people?! But then as I say, we aren't alone in that when you look at manager turnover at Hibs and Aberdeen post-McInnes.

Or is it again that the "right people" aren't going to come to Hearts?! Are we looking for something that we won't find? This again goes back to expectations.

Finally, has it always been thus, or certainly in modern times, and we just have so many ways of venting our frustration these days (internet and social media) that we all get ourselves more worked up than ever before?!

I don't know the answer but I do know that expectations seem to be very high right now and that, for whatever reason, the team/management/board are struggling to meet those expectations!

I've no idea if this post makes any sense but I thought I'd run with it anyway... in conclusion, I'm a very frustrated punter right now with our start to the season.

I’ll go for third last paragraph. 
I think, on the face of it, that the internet age can amplify things because a frustrated rant is there forever. 
However, the rants, frustration etc were always there pre internet, it’s just they were done person to person then forgotten about the next day. 
I don’t think the expectation level has ever changed following Hearts and neither it should. 
It’s a ridiculous suggestion that we should accept piss poor performances because, somehow, it makes it a more pleasurable experience!

We always fail to capitalise when changing management.  For all his faults Neilson left us in a decent position both times he left. First time we messed up by getting Cathro in then had the Levein fiasco, and this time we’ve went for the cheap and easy option. 

58 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

I'm pretty sure you'd also recognise that she's made mistakes. Some really quite costly. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'm pretty sure you'd also recognise that she's made mistakes. Some really quite costly. 

Yeah off course she's made mistakes but she's done far more right than wrong and when she does leave she'll have left us financially viable with a 24/7 stadium 

• davemclaren changed the title to Football side / Business side / The Board