Leonard Cohen

grumpyjambo

grumpyjambo

I was working at his show at the Castle last night and he was a real class act absolutely superb and I am not a fan of his at all.

Sydney from Sydney

He's been touring out this way, and the consensus is the same as you. Morbid, maybe but the reviews on his shows have been first class. I heard he only toured because his agent ripped him off for a few million and he's a bit skint now he's in retirement.

He's a great poet, not much of a singer. Prefer his songs when others sing them. Played Manchester not that long ago, got rave reviews.

I P Knightley
He's a great poet, not much of a singer. Prefer his songs when others sing them. Played Manchester not that long ago, got rave reviews.

I tend to agree. There's a lot of songs that have been covered and made much better than the original.

I have an album, "I'm your Fan" (geddit?) which is 18 Cohen songs performed by other artists (Ian McCulloch, Pixies, James, REM, Lloyd Cole and, memorably, John Cale knocking out the defititive cover of Hallelujah - as used in Shrek). Almost all of them are at least as listenable as the original.

That said, the early songs in the '60s were so distinctive that they bear up on their own as does the '80s album, I'm your Man.

Jennifer Warnes, who did the backing vox on I'm your Man also released a tribute album, Famous Blue Raincoat with some good versions. Taking away the drone that is Laughing Len's voice and replacing it with something beautiful and melodic allows you to hear just how good the songs are.

Bono covered Hallelujah and. for that alone, he needs a kicking until his insides hurt badly.

At the Montreux Jazz Festival, Cohen introduced himself to the audience saying, "I haven't performed live since I was 60, 14 years ago. I was just a kid, then, with a crazy dream." Cool guy!

grumpyjambo
He's been touring out this way, and the consensus is the same as you. Morbid, maybe but the reviews on his shows have been first class. I heard he only toured because his agent ripped him off for a few million and he's a bit skint now he's in retirement.

He was on stage for 2 1/2 hours (not bad for a 72 year old) and the audience were enthralled for the whole show. Awesome stuff, a lot of artists could learn from him in how to work an audience.

Tickets were on ebay for Edinburgh at ?300!!!

I P Knightley

Having bigged up the "I'm Your Fan" covers album, I played it on the iPod on the way home yesterday.

If you can get your hands on it, you really should have a listen to the Pixies version of I Can't Forget - brilliant stuff! Probably all the better for knowing the original but I think it's likely to stand on its own two feet anyway.

The boy cannae sing, but what a songwriter!

Here's what his music sounds like with a decent singer:

I thought the concert was absolutely amazing and his voice surprisingly good. The sound quality and mix was spot on and the wee bit I filmed of Hallelujah is brilliant. He is first and foremost a wonderful poet with a surprisingly earthy approach to living and loving. I love his music and for me watching this concert was a privilege.

BTW tickets went on sale this a.m. for a November tour taking in the Clyde Auditorium.

beryltheperil

Anyone who thinks others do his songs better than he can has obviously not seen him on this tour. A voice like gravel, it sends shivers down the spine. He's better than ever and the harmonies by the very beautiful Webb sisters were totally fantastic too. One of the best gigs ever.

Anyone who thinks others do his songs better than he can has obviously not seen him on this tour. A voice like gravel, it sends shivers down the spine. He's better than ever and the harmonies by the very beautiful Webb sisters were totally fantastic too. One of the best gigs ever.

Good first post, Beryl. I completely agree. For a guy of 73, he has one amazingly sexy voice.... :)

grumpyjambo
Good first post, Beryl. I completely agree. For a guy of 73, he has one amazingly sexy voice.... :)

Could this be the start of a Helen Mirren type thread??

grumpyjambo

As stated before I am not a fan and I have been to hundreds of gigs but that show is up there with the best that I have been too.

I reckon his old songs sound far superior now with his voice that bit lower - Suzanne being a fine example from Wednesday.

You really should try "I'm your fan" though, its excellent. Agree with the comments about the Pixies, but I think Nick Cave's version of Tower of Song is tremendous! (certainly not done Cohen stylee !)

:cool:

Could this be the start of a Helen Mirren type thread??

:eek: Whit?

In the case of Leonard, ahem,

it's his mind that I find overpoweringly attractive .. and, of course, the voice.

The body, on the other hand....:whistling:

grumpyjambo
:eek: Whit?

In the case of Leonard, ahem,

it's his mind that I find overpoweringly attractive .. and, of course, the voice.

The body, on the other hand....:whistling:

Amazing what I catch when I go fishing!!!! ;)

I P Knightley

All right, all right!!!

No need to rub it in.... :grr:

That vid of Allison Crowe is probably about the 5th best cover version of that song that I've heard. It's pretty sappy but nowhere near as bad as Bono's. Christ, it's maybe not even as good as the original - and that was pretty dirgeful....

None of these covers, Buckley, Wainwright, etc would have been in our midst had it not been for the great Welshman John Cale.

I P Knightley
I based my opinion of his singing on this video...

IMO opinion he's a wonderful songwriter and the power of the song still creates a great atmosphere when he sings it, but he sounds like my Dad singing in the shower with a hangover.

Can't watch the vid at work here but know exactly what you're saying about the hangover voice.

I find a hangover, coupled with a heavy morning cold, equips me the best to sing along with Laughing Len or Tom Waits.

Walter Payton
Having bigged up the "I'm Your Fan" covers album, I played it on the iPod on the way home yesterday.

If you can get your hands on it, you really should have a listen to the Pixies version of I Can't Forget - brilliant stuff! Probably all the better for knowing the original but I think it's likely to stand on its own two feet anyway.

Tried looking for this album on iTunes Ivana, but couldn't seem to find it. Any idea where I could find it?

I P Knightley
Tried looking for this album on iTunes Ivana, but couldn't seem to find it. Any idea where I could find it?

I have it on CD & ripped to my iTunes library.

Guess it must be available on Amazon or something.

Walter Payton
I have it on CD & ripped to my iTunes library.

Guess it must be available on Amazon or something.

Thanks for that mate (and the offer in your PM), I just found it on Amazon and it should be winging its way to me now.

Incidentally, has anyone used the preowned option when buying from Amazon? While the new CD was selling for ?12, you could pay anything from ?4 to ?22 for the same CD in "as new" condition- why on earth would somebody list the CD for sale at that price when somebody can get it from the same page ?18 cheaper?

Archived