George Burley Thread.....

Section Q

Would like to see the club reconnect with him. Such a magic time in the short period he was with us.

Our Football was magic and the fans on the terraces were on fire.

Would be nice if he returned as a guest of the club.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• kevin_hmfc

• PortyBeach

• Paolo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Would like to see the club reconnect with him. Such a magic time in the short period he was with us.

Our Football was magic and the fans on the terraces were on fire.

Would be nice if he returned as a guest of the club.

I'm just glad he didn't manage Bradford City.

Japan Jambo
9 minutes ago, kevin_hmfc said:

Nearly 20 years ago.  Don't think anything like what happened then will happen again 

Ironically with the opening run of games we've got this time... on pre season evidence though we are too powder puff up front, still reinforcements look to be on the way. 🙂 

jimmy the jambo
50 minutes ago, kevin_hmfc said:

Nearly 20 years ago.  Don't think anything like what happened then will happen again 

I’m not sure,Jack Ross was pumping the staff a few years ago 😂

Used to love watching him wave the players forward, encouraging them. 
  I think Vladimir got a wee bit jealous of the adulation he was getting from us fans and the press, just my opinion.

Robbo-Jambo
36 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

what were the drinking rumours all about? just smoke from Madd Vladd, or truth?

Truth, I am afraid.

Heartsofgold
2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Used to love watching him wave the players forward, encouraging them. 
  I think Vladimir got a wee bit jealous of the adulation he was getting from us fans and the press, just my opinion.

Not just yours mate, I think a lot of us think this was the reason he was binned, he took all the limelight away from the mad Russian *******.

4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Truth, I am afraid.

The fans got pissed after the match..no problem with George doing that too

Robbo-Jambo
Just now, kevin_hmfc said:

The fans got pissed after the match..no problem with George doing that too

He was getting pissed the night before a game though.

41 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Couldn't care to be honest.  He was doing the business, we were riding a wave all the way to the title IMO until we sacked him.

what a time to follow Hearts though, was a sheer pleasure turning up and watch us dismantle teams with ease. 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

How do you know?   And if so it was fookyin working.  🍾

skinnybob72

Ipswich opened “Burley’s Bar” at Portman Road last season, pretty sure he’s a regular there on matchdays. 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We sacked a guy that had a bevvy the night before games and replaced him with a guy that had sex with a child.  

Robbo-Jambo

He was spotted in bars at 1 am 

I couldn't give a shit really because as you say it was working brilliantly.

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

We sacked a guy that had a bevvy the night before games and replaced him with a guy that had sex with a child.  

Check my last  post 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

GB didn't rate, nor want in his team, Mikoliunas or Cesnauskis. Mad Vlad, on the other hand, wanted both in the team every week.

There's your conflict. Simple as...

Source: George himself.

ScottieMac17
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

GB didn't rate, nor want in his team, Mikoliunas or Cesnauskis. Mad Vlad, on the other hand, wanted both in the team every week.

There's your conflict. Simple as...

Source: George himself.

Playing both would mean dropping our left winger, and at that time it was Skacel who under Burley scored in almost every game... Crazy stuff from the mad yin

4 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Playing both would mean dropping our left winger, and at that time it was Skacel who under Burley scored in almost every game... Crazy stuff from the mad yin

Exactly that, Scottie.

Vlad had a choice: Burley or the Lithuanian twins and he gladly chose the latter.

Sure I’ve heard he used to drink wine and eat pasta in Bar Napoli just about every night. Had his own table through the back.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The George Burley myths are right up there with Vanecek being 40 stone. 

Not one mention of GB shagging Vlad's niece yet.

WTF is gong on on here these days?:waiting:

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Sure it was on one of the podcasts he was drinking during some of the pre season games. Think it mainly was jealously from Romanov about burley getting all the credit. Def could do with burley’s scouts

been here before
16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Sure I’ve heard he used to drink wine and eat pasta in Bar Napoli just about every night. Had his own table through the back.

What are you supposed to do with wine and pasta?

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Make a smoothie. Chug in one go. Saves time. Vlad couldn’t stand inefficiency. 

Edited by CMc

tokyowalnut

I’m not one for calling for previous players or managers to return, but I’ve always been surprised that he hasn’t been quoted for a return. 

Too expensive now?! 

It’d be a shame if he did return and it didn’t quite click. What a (brief) glorious time it was! 

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

And where did I imply you were suppose to do something different? 🤨

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Not just yours mate, I think a lot of us think this was the reason he was binned, he took all the limelight away from the mad Russian *******.

Vladimirs megalomania got the better of him.

been here before
16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

And where did I imply you were suppose to do something different? 🤨

So you're just informing us that he ate and drank at a table?

Hopefully Naismith adopts this groundbreaking technique and the flamboyant, free flowing, cavalier football seen under Burley returns. 

21 minutes ago, CMc said:

Make a smoothie. Chug in one go. Saves time. Vlad couldn’t stand inefficiency. 

Could be a niche market for that. Hipster wanks buying 'artisan' food and drink smoothies made by 'micro brewery'. Most likely for sale in Waitrose, farmers markets and 'foody events'.

"The Vlad Range, contains nuts".

2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

True. Massive bar bill at the Dalmahoy, and an incident at Musselburgh Races.  

One thing I know is he was a top coach with an eye for a player. That spell under Burley felt more exciting in many ways than 85/86. We were pulverising opposition. 

He was a guest on Scotsport iirc the night after we drew 1-1 at Parkhead. Around the time when JC used to be on the show. Burley was pressed about what he thought the team could do and he actually stated the aspiration was to win the league. That was the time where Chick Young was getting increasingly desperate on BBC Sportsound after each of our victories when claiming we couldn't possibly sustain it. What a rancid little turd he is. 

George Burley just looked and came across as a proper football manager. 

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, Paolo said:

True. Massive bar bill at the Dalmahoy, and an incident at Musselburgh Races.  

yep my mate was at a wedding at the Dalmahoy and GB gatecrashed it was absolutely pissed saw a picture of him at a table slumped in his seat loads of bottles of beer in front of him and seemingly on the morning of the Dumfermline game was emptied out a taxi still pissed.

He didn't do well at Scotland cause you can't bring players in and it's a different kettle of fish.   Also has worst miss in the world Chris iweeuuudooooo in a crucial game.  ( Not Burnley's fault obviously)

Fxxx the SPFL

i remember the day he got sacked we were at a smoker at the BMC club the comedian was half way through his routine when everybody's mobiles started pinging with the news that GB had been sacked. Poor comedian didn't know if he should carry on with his act or not.

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

One thing I know is he was a top coach with an eye for a player. That spell under Burley felt more exciting in many ways than 85/86. We were pulverising opposition. 

He was a guest on Scotsport iirc the night after we drew 1-1 at Parkhead. Around the time when JC used to be on the show. Burley was pressed about what he thought the team could do and he actually stated the aspiration was to win the league. That was the time where Chick Young was getting increasingly desperate on BBC Sportsound after each of our victories when claiming we couldn't possibly sustain it. What a rancid little turd he is. 

George Burley just looked and came across as a proper football manager. 

I couldn't agree more about Chick Young.

He absolutely hated us at that time and that we might break his beloved duopoly/finish above Rangers.

I recall even Richard Gordon had a go at him for his bias. Something about Chick being gleeful when Hearts dropped points or another madVladism came out.

Horrible little runt.

39 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

yep my mate was at a wedding at the Dalmahoy and GB gatecrashed it was absolutely pissed saw a picture of him at a table slumped in his seat loads of bottles of beer in front of him and seemingly on the morning of the Dumfermline game was emptied out a taxi still pissed.

Come on now, we've all been in the nick before. 

31 minutes ago, martoon said:

I couldn't agree more about Chick Young.

He absolutely hated us at that time and that we might break his beloved duopoly/finish above Rangers.

I recall even Richard Gordon had a go at him for his bias. Something about Chick being gleeful when Hearts dropped points or another madVladism came out.

Horrible little runt.

I think Chick sensed the duopoly was under threat at that point and he hated it. How that thieved a living masquerading as a journalist for decades is utterly unfathomable. 

Richard Gordon is another vile sycophant who has played a key role in ensuring Scottish football has remained parochial and tin pot. 

3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

George Best used to drink before going on to the field and still run rings round everyone. Not saying I agree with Burley hammering the booze the night before a match (if its true), but, the team were doing the business on the field so he mustve still been doing his job right.  The bevvy culture has been in scottish football for years. If every manager was punted due to their liking for a drink, then half the teams wouldn't have a gaffer. As others have said, I think vlad was a bit jealous of the success burley was having and he couldn't justify his tinkering in team delections so, this was possibly the best way for him to get power back. Either way, great times, even if it was just for a couple of months

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Regarding the Musselburgh Races incident.  I was told it was an official event  oiled under Hearts’ name.  He again was he’s ily on the bevvy, and was warned/advised to stop.  He didn’t and pot pissed, then started to chat up and harass the female waiting staff.  

1 minute ago, Paolo said:

Regarding the Musselburgh Races incident.  I was told it was an official event  oiled under Hearts’ name.  He again was he’s ily on the bevvy, and was warned/advised to stop.  He didn’t and pot pissed, then started to chat up and harass the female waiting staff.  

It is rather ironic though that after the Dunfermline game, when Foulkes made a statement to the press, he himself was pissed.  

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Paolo said:

such a shame who knows what we could have achieved that season

Just now, **** the SPFL said:

such a shame who knows what we could have achieved that season

It is a shame.  I do still think we would only finish second.  The New Year game against Celtic confirmed that for me.  

4 minutes ago, Paolo said:

It is a shame.  I do still think we would only finish second.  The New Year game against Celtic confirmed that for me.  

Yup, no way were we going to be allowed to win the league.

4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The way things were going, I couldn’t have given a flying one if he was getting plastered, half an hour before kick off.

6 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Hard to imagine a Russian wanting to sack a guy who enjoyed a drink. He was doing such a good job and stealing Vlad's thunder. That was the problem. Bring him back and give him a round of applause.

3 hours ago, Carter said:

I think Chick sensed the duopoly was under threat at that point and he hated it. How that thieved a living masquerading as a journalist for decades is utterly unfathomable. 

Richard Gordon is another vile sycophant who has played a key role in ensuring Scottish football has remained parochial and tin pot. 

Aye.

No fan of RG either.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Paolo said:

Can't use the NY game undr Rix as a yardstick. We were an entirely different beast under GB.

Edit.

Realise now that you are meaning the officiating that day. Apologies.

The first half performance that day was one of the best ever that I have witnessed. Celtic couldn't complain if we had been 4 or 5 up.

Edited by Tommy Brown