Wee team in Europe

Wonfiveone

Arthur Morgan
23 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Nah, unfortunately Istanbul didn’t have to get out of 2nd gear either. Only Riga were forced to play against us.

I know Istanbul were good, but I think you are giving them too much credit.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• Wee Mikey

Dalstonjambo

Just one point I feel has been lost in the half and half scarf love in the docksiders are trying to cultivate (mugs available too). 

Aston Villa are literally partially the colours they are because they copied the famous Heart of Midlothian. Yet here we have some sort of love in trying to be cultivated by those idiots. 

Their lack of awareness is staggering

24 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Nah, unfortunately Istanbul didn’t have to get out of 2nd gear either. Only Riga were forced to play against us.

also when we played against them and Fiorentina we had a lot of players injured. Patchwork side played against them especially in defence

Our 2012 team would make a mess of the current Hibs team . Also are folk trying to say this Villa team has players as good as Van Der Vaart and Bale ? Bloody hell they do not . The Liverpool team that we put up a fight against would beat that Villa side as well 

14 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Birmingham is a bucket list European city though ay 

It’s a huge step-up from Lochend though.

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I know Istanbul were good, but I think you are giving them too much credit.

I’m not giving them the credit at all, we rolled over to them. Our capitulations in Europe had just as much to do with how we set up / played than it did how others played against us. Are Istanbul and Fiorentina excellent sides? Yes. Did they have to play to a high level to beat us? Absolutely not. First Istanbul goal was a rocket of a shot from the left. But we allowed the boy to have all the space and time in the world to pick his shot out. Shot doesn’t happen if we do our job properly. Like Hibs tonight with Digne. He’s a quality left back that has played at the highest level, so they decided to allow him to to do whatever the hell he wanted without being pressured or tackled. Insane.

31 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Villa are a good team tbf. Quality players.

But FTH

Compared to Scottish teams aye. But they’re a mid-table Prem team. The commentator said tonight Villa will be looking to beak into the top 4. They just got scudded 5-1 at Newcastle and even they will struggle for top 4 this year.

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

also when we played against them and Fiorentina we had a lot of players injured. Patchwork side played against them especially in defence

Of course. We would’ve fared better against them with full strength side, no doubt. But it was all the basics that went out of the window against them from us. That’s why they both could play us without breaking a sweat. Wouldn’t beat us either way I’m sure, but they didn’t have to work for it.

5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Compared to Scottish teams aye. But they’re a mid-table Prem team. The commentator said tonight Villa will be looking to beak into the top 4. They just got scudded 5-1 at Newcastle and even they will struggle for top 4 this year.

It’s why I really wasn’t that bothered about getting into that Europa group last season. 
Arsenal would have given us a similar pasting or worse than hubs got tonight. 
It’ll be interesting to see how they react v Livingston on Saturday that’s for sure

30 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

We can argue all week as to whether this Villa team are as good as the Spurs side from the 2011/2012 season however I suspect that when H1b5 don't bring the Scottish Cup back to Edinburgh next May after filleting their local rivals in the biggest game in both clubs' history, we will know for sure that they aren't. 😊

No chance. That Spurs team were in the Champion’s league quarter final a few months before they played us

So can we now shut this massively over contributed nonsense thread and get on with our own job now ?

Edited by JimmyCant

Arthur Morgan
12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not giving them the credit at all, we rolled over to them. Our capitulations in Europe had just as much to do with how we set up / played than it did how others played against us. Are Istanbul and Fiorentina excellent sides? Yes. Did they have to play to a high level to beat us? Absolutely not. First Istanbul goal was a rocket of a shot from the left. But we allowed the boy to have all the space and time in the world to pick his shot out. Shot doesn’t happen if we do our job properly. Like Hibs tonight with Digne. He’s a quality left back that has played at the highest level, so they decided to allow him to to do whatever the hell he wanted without being pressured or tackled. Insane.

I honestly don't think Istanbul are an 'excellent' side. They are decent, nothing more than that, imo. They finished 5th in the Turkish league last season, they are nowhere near Aston Villa levels for me. 

The game tonight was either going to be like us vs Spurs OR vs Liverpool. There was no middle ground. Hibs conceded basically the same goal on three occasions and Watkins missed a sitter from the same type of move. Villa were strolling it particularly towards the end but still should have scored more. Against Spurs, they took the foot off the gas as well or it could have been anything that night. Next week, Hibs better hope that they put out a B team or it could be even worse than their Malmo defeat. Shrewd to sell all the away tickets this morning...

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Wish this had happened after we had gotten a good result in our match tomorrow! 

:lol:

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I honestly don't think Istanbul are an 'excellent' side. They are decent, nothing more than that, imo. They finished 5th in the Turkish league last season, they are nowhere near Aston Villa levels for me. 

Definitely not anywhere near Villa levels. In fact I think PAOK are probably as good or better then them. But they still didn’t have to work that hard to beat us. Twice.

Arthur Morgan
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Definitely not anywhere near Villa levels. In fact I think PAOK are probably as good or better then them. But they still didn’t have to work that hard to beat us. Twice.

We were awful in fairness, I also think PAOK will be as good or even better than Istanbul. I don't think we have a chance tbh, but hoping we can at least keep things respectable. I know that at least Naismith won't have us fearing them like Robbie would.

If that game finished 0-8 they’d have zero complaints. I’m putting on a bet +5 for Villa in the return. Probably be evens tho 🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

We were awful in fairness, I also think PAOK will be as good or even better than Istanbul. I don't think we have a chance tbh, but hoping we can at least keep things respectable. I know that at least Naismith won't have us fearing them like Robbie would.

we have a much better squad compared to then and very few injuries, and as you say a management that don’t shit the bed. 
it should be a cracker

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Hope the last part is true. We definitely need to get in their faces tomorrow.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Birmingham is a bucket list European city though ay 

We were there for an Aston Villa game in hospitality last season. Hospitality was great and the night out in Birmingham was a great laugh though maybe not the highest of quality. Defo worth a visit with your mates though! 

35 minutes ago, DMac-89 said:

The game tonight was either going to be like us vs Spurs OR vs Liverpool. There was no middle ground. Hibs conceded basically the same goal on three occasions and Watkins missed a sitter from the same type of move. Villa were strolling it particularly towards the end but still should have scored more. Against Spurs, they took the foot off the gas as well or it could have been anything that night. Next week, Hibs better hope that they put out a B team or it could be even worse than their Malmo defeat. Shrewd to sell all the away tickets this morning...

They can't put out a B team as such. They can only select players from the squad they have already declared. The ones that do play will want to play well and prove a point, it will be another scudding regardless. Pleasing!

the posh bit
47 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No chance. That Spurs team were in the Champion’s league quarter final a few months before they played us

So can we now shut this massively over contributed nonsense thread and get on with our own job now ?

Take a night off Jimmy. 

heartsfc_fan
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think Hibs are out tbh, cannae see them turning it around.

Never know. Get the away goal and all.....

:rofl:

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree,

Similarly been having a look at the table and squads etc and I reckon Celtic and Rangers will likely be top two in Scotland this season. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’s why I really wasn’t that bothered about getting into that Europa group last season. 
Arsenal would have given us a similar pasting or worse than hubs got tonight. 
It’ll be interesting to see how they react v Livingston on Saturday that’s for sure

Agreed, I said it all last summer. But Zurich only got beat by them by a single goal in both games strangely enough. 

27 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I take it that's tongue in cheek?  I hope

Aussie Jambo
3 minutes ago, fila said:

Can we change the thread title to include the words ... out of and remove the word ... in 

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I cant decide who is the most atrocious 

Marshall , Hanlon , Stevenson or Campbell 

Stevenson is a liability and I hope they all start against us. I predict a riot. Sorry, rout.

11 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Looks like the lion, caught the gazelle quite comfortably😂😂😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Without breaking sweat. 

7 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Just one point I feel has been lost in the half and half scarf love in the docksiders are trying to cultivate (mugs available too). 

Aston Villa are literally partially the colours they are because they copied the famous Heart of Midlothian. Yet here we have some sort of love in trying to be cultivated by those idiots. 

Their lack of awareness is staggering

For anyone who is intetested, hete's the difference between the current AV claret and our maroon.

pantone-222-c-vs-pantone-7421-c.jpg

33 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

So, for this battle of Britain it was the Hibs that took on the role of the Germans I see.

Circa early 1945

kingantti1874

Putting aside the fact that it was very enjoyable and pleasing.  The outcome should surely dispel any myth that Scottish football is in the same stratosphere as the English game - this could easily have been double figures if Villa got out of first gear.  and there are a small minority of dreamers who genuinely think there is some comparison.

ive been watching Leeds who if we are honest looked a level or 2 above us.  And they’ve picked up 2 points from 3 games in the championship.

It annoys me that those English clubs are hoovering up all the talent and leaving us with the dregs. 

Edited by kingantti1874

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

For anyone who is intetested, hete's the difference between the current AV claret and our maroon.

pantone-222-c-vs-pantone-7421-c.jpg

Blood shows slightly on claret. 

9 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

They were the best team in Turkey when they played us. Their squad was dismantled and they plunged down the league, after they ran out of money. 

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

They were the best team in Turkey when they played us. Their squad was dismantled and they plunged down the league, after they ran out of money. 

No they weren't. They finished 4th the season before last. 

10 hours ago, trotter said:

What the **** is 'multi-international'? Do you mean 'multinational' Lee?

He's a wee tosser but if you put Toby Sibbick, Frankie Kent and Oda in a room you'll have a room of multinationals but not multi-internationals in the sense that when you get capped you become an international.

Can't believe I'm sticking up for Dopey.

Bazzas right boot

Tbh, I think hibs had the same problem as us V Fiorentina last season. 

They just never believed enough.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbh, I think hibs had the same problem as us V Fiorentina last season. 

They just never believed enough.

got absolutely nothing to do with belief I’m afraid and everything to do with talent, athleticism, intelligence and professionalism.

Armadale Thistle could believe they could beat Hearts all they want but it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference 

It was a sore one for our friends and neighbours,  but a learning experience. At least they will always have memories of their great comeback against the Andorrans to look back on :thumbsup: