Sinead O’Connor

iantjambo

A deeply disturbed and troubled woman but a powerhouse performer.

The way she was blacklisted in the USA was disgraceful.

56 is far too young.

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sad news, seemed to be a deeply troubled woman, but 56! 

Just now, Cade said:

56 is far too young.

Suffered mental health issues for several years. But went rapidly downhill after the death of her 17 year old son a year or so ago.

I’m by know means in the know. But I fear she may have taken her own life 😔 

4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

But I fear she may have taken her own life 😔 

I'm thinking that too. Not a single hint of how/why she died so young.

Och I'm gutted.

I was 13 or so when she first came on the scene and she was unlike anything else at the time. I still remember stomping about to Mandinka and even to this day, I have to sing to it when it's on.

Obviously she had all her issues but above all she had a brilliant voice. I just always hoped she'd win her fight but hopefully she's finally found her peace.

JudyJudyJudy

May she rest in peace . God bless her . Poor troubled soul . Always remember dancing to “ Nothing compares to u”

with one of my beaus ! God bless you too P rip x 

ToadKiller Dog

Sad to hear a real talent ,a troubled soul .

In the end she was proved right about the abuse in the church ,was brave to call it out at a time when nobody wanted to listen.

RIP 

5 hours ago, Cade said:

56 is far too young.

Was it solely because of what she did on SNL? Or was it other stuff as well?

25 minutes ago, trotter said:

Dunno if it may have been relevant, but she was the first - and AFAIK the only - recording artist ever to have turned down a Grammy.

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Anybody high profile if they talk about religion at all is supposed to say God is great or something like it. 

While she said something like priests are perverts. Biggest stooshie since John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

the posh bit

Genuinely thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world around the time of NC2U. That shaved head and those eyes. 😍

Some performer and some woman. 

31 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Genuinely thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world around the time of NC2U. That shaved head and those eyes. 😍

Some performer and some woman. 

She really suited the shaved head. I saw a picture of her yesterday with long hair and it looked really weird.

When it comes to ‘Protest singers’ she was up there with the best of them.

RIP Sinead.

Not a huge fan, but one thing I did admire was her stand against the establishment and esp the Catholic church. She did her own thing and took no sh*t. Always remember her ripping up the picture of the Pope ( with regards to child abuse). She was a troubled soul and I think the loss of her son probably contributed to her demise.....RIP.

RIP. What a shit life she had.

Grew up in an Ireland dealing with the traumas of Brit colonialism and the Catholic Church.

What a talent though.

New Town Loafer

Very sad news, and certainly a troubled soul. Was heartbreaking re. her son.

For what it’s worth, I was never a fan of her as a person. Strange anti-white comments and her somewhat hypocritical embrace of Islam were at best a result of deep mental health issues and at worst…

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Anybody high profile if they talk about religion at all is supposed to say God is great or something like it. 

While she said something like priests are perverts. Biggest stooshie since John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

She was right. A victim herself.

Screenshot2023-07-27at09-38-51mastodon_scot.png.2d89bcd71cfd451124dd0593a4e7da19.png

Hagar the Horrible
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

She was put into one of those beyond evil Magdalene laundries, and in her experience priests are pervs, those nuns  will rot in he'll, more should have been jailed. Great talent and sang from the soul. 

37 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Very sad news, and certainly a troubled soul. Was heartbreaking re. her son.

For what it’s worth, I was never a fan of her as a person. Strange anti-white comments and her somewhat hypocritical embrace of Islam were at best a result of deep mental health issues and at worst…

I always thought she was clearly a bit nutty too, I found it off putting, shaved head, controversial comments about more than religion. Great singer.

But at the end of the day who am I to judge, environment is most certainly a major feature maybe the major feature in the development of a person from childhood to adulthood. And beyond even.

I don't know what her childhood environment would have done to me, so I can't judge her.

Diadora Van Basten

I saw Ian Brown tweet and hadn’t realised she sang on his song Illegal Attacks. I hadn’t listened to the song for a while so played it to listen to Sinead bits and was surprised it was such a good song. I then went onto YouTube to see if there were any reaction videos to it and found it on Robb reacts. I read the comments from two years ago and the last comment was about how beautiful her voice is on the final two lines of the song.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I always thought she was clearly a bit nutty too, I found it off putting, shaved head, controversial comments about more than religion. Great singer.

But at the end of the day who am I to judge, environment is most certainly a major feature maybe the major feature in the development of a person from childhood to adulthood. And beyond even.

I don't know what her childhood environment would have done to me, so I can't judge her.

The doc on her 'Nothing Compares' is well worth a watch.

The lyrics to Troy posted above reflect on her childhood. Her mother - herself traumatised - locked Sinead out of the house for summer. She had to live in the long grass outside, whatever the weather. Then the trauma of the Magdalene Laundries. Incredible she survived to 56.

5 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Incredible she survived to 56.

So we're all thinking it's suicide? The family when they revealed she had died didn't even say when far less how/why

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Your link is leading tot this thread. You must have put that link in the text area, this is what it leads to

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/201136-sinead-o’connor/

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

So we're all thinking it's suicide? The family when they revealed she had died didn't even say when far less how/why

I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I mind she went missing for a few days in New York, IIRC, a few years ago and I thought that was it then. Obvs the death of her son since then was too much.

What a woman and what a singer.  Absolutely iconic for those above an age.

RIP Sinead, amazing voice, Nothing Compares to You is as legendary as it gets, everyone knows the name and the face from the video.

Bindy Badgy
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Police have stated that it isn't being treated as suspicious. Suicide would be consistent with that statement but, it could also be natural causes. We'll find out in the coming weeks.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Police have stated that it isn't being treated as suspicious. Suicide would be consistent with that statement but, it could also be natural causes. We'll find out in the coming weeks.

It’s more than likely suicide . But could be caused by a broken heart ?  Not literal but just dress and pain too much of her son dying last year . What a shame 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s more than likely suicide . But could be caused by a broken heart ?  Not literal but just dress and pain too much of her son dying last year . What a shame 

You don't think it could have been the trauma of Brit colonisation then? 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, pablo said:

You don't think it could have been the trauma of Brit colonisation then? 

Nae such thing as that apparently ! Don’t you mean English colonisation ? 😂

I find it annoying the media calling her prescient, NO she lived the abuse and highlighted it and was then abused for this. Punished more than once by the church and establishment, who won't, or didn't recognise this, all coming to light 30 years later.

Catholic church a misguided (carefully chosen wording) institution, I do believe all religion is vile and serves no common purpose.

RIP lady, to have survived the Magdelines, then lose your son, too much.

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Your link is leading tot this thread. You must have put that link in the text area, this is what it leads to

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/201136-sinead-o’connor/

Yes, I fixed it about 2 minutes after you posted that.  But to no end, because the link now leads to a different RTÉ story about a memorial vigil.  Ah well. :sorcerer: 

3 hours ago, ericthepen said:

I find it annoying the media calling her prescient, NO she lived the abuse and highlighted it and was then abused for this. Punished more than once by the church and establishment, who won't, or didn't recognise this, all coming to light 30 years later.

Catholic church a misguided (carefully chosen wording) institution, I do believe all religion is vile and serves no common purpose.

Good, and well written post, Eric.

Your username is very apt.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, ericthepen said:

👍👍

il Duce McTarkin
23 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

May she rest in peace . God bless her . Poor troubled soul . Always remember dancing to “ Nothing compares to u”

with one of my beaus ! God bless you too P rip x 

JudyJudyJudy
On 27/07/2023 at 01:20, Ulysses said:

That was a great version , think this was. Tribute album to Cole Porter “ red hot and blue “ 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Good BBC article describing her effect on Irish society outside her music. A quote from it.

O'Connor's death has cracked open a complex and deep emotional network in the Irish psyche. Once again, through her, a pain about growing up in a place where little truth-telling occurred, is flowing.

Speaking out against the Catholic Church at a time when few people did sparked outrage and hostility and risked her career, but Ireland is now realising the good she did.

How Sinéad O'Connor changed Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66330500