techno

Carl Weathers

bit partial to some Valentino Kanzyani myself..specifically Nuevo York :P

Carl Weathers
stacey pullen, underground resistance, derrick may, kevin saunderson etc etc

Any Stacey Pullen comps worth checking out? Am I right in saying that he did a Fabric?

conn artist

;

Bas Mooy and Vincent De Wit or just on their own.

there is somehting not right about clubs/daylight/techno. most definalty a nightime pursuit or at the very least darkness to mask everyones wastedness. ;)

;

there is somehting not right about clubs/daylight/techno. most definalty a nightime pursuit or at the very least darkness to mask everyones wastedness. ;)

Dono, have had many an enjoyable day in a field or a quarry, laughing at every one's 'next day' face. ;)

conn artist
Dono, have had many an enjoyable day in a field or a quarry, laughing at every one's 'next day' face. ;)

been in the same situation myself. when your wrecked tho you obviously dont notice it as much. it just looks wierd watching it without a good light and visual display giving it the same impact. dont think PURE would of been the same if they left the lights on throughout.

will be off to a forest location next weekend weather permitting. camping, soundsystem, and a posse of mates. still no location as off yet as the organisers dont tell you till the last minute.

been in the same situation myself. when your wrecked tho you obviously dont notice it as much. it just looks wierd watching it without a good light and visual display giving it the same impact. dont think PURE would of been the same if they left the lights on throughout.

hehe true..... never thought of it that way.

sven wittekind is where it's at.

He is pretty rocking but not heard him for ages and when I did he was far far too distorted.

Used to love Arkus P and the rest but not had the want to listen to it for ages.

Ritchie Hawtin - Just booked up to go and see him in the dam in October.

Saw him as Plastikman at the Barrowlands back in the day. Awesome set, but definitely a little bit different.

conn artist
Ritchie Hawtin - Just booked up to go and see him in the dam in October.

used to love hawtin and had probably one of the best nights out seeing him at the venue one sunday night at triptych in 2002, but now he is so minimal its unreal. some of the vids on youtube people are barely dancin. he is at fieldday in london on the 9th might see if its any diff in the flesh. i'm much more into the the french stuff these days- oizo, kavinsky, justice, para one, medhi. also looking forward to catching hannah holland and brodinski at fieldday and a-trak and sinden through in the weedgie lands at the end of august.

used to love hawtin and had probably one of the best nights out seeing him at the venue one sunday night at triptych in 2002, but now he is so minimal its unreal. some of the vids on youtube people are barely dancin. he is at fieldday in london on the 9th might see if its any diff in the flesh. i'm much more into the the french stuff these days- oizo, kavinsky, justice, para one, medhi. also looking forward to catching hannah holland and brodinski at fieldday and a-trak and sinden through in the weedgie lands at the end of august.

Not seen him for ages but was going to be going to Mistery Land in Aug but its come to quickly after my holiday. So combining a trip to the dam and seeing him in Oct.

Some of the recent stuff I've heard live has been alright. Just like his sound.

Used to love french techno, more hard tek but Medhi is quality, if its who I think it is, pretty fat sound, loads of silly 'french' samples.

Some of that French stuff is ok but most is too cheesy and housey for me. Mr Oizo's production has been great since his first LP, he's a terrible DJ though. Surkin, Para One, Feadz, Kazey and Bulldog are all better. Ed Banger is a bit on the gay/housey side but there are a few belters on arcade mode. I can't be doing with Justice or Sebastian at all. All of their stuff sounds too similar and cheesy. I like the French Baltimore / ghetto stuff but the electro house is poor.

Techno wise, Landstrumm, Schmidt, Vogel, Subhead, Adam X, TSR, Sueme, Jerome Hill, Red Planet, UR, Basic Channel, AFX, Tubejerk, Cut Out, Sir Real, Bill Youngman, Crystal Distortion, Luke's Anger and Jason Leech are among my favourites.

Carl Weathers

I like Techno but prefer the housier side of the sound.

Labels like:

2020 vision

Simple

Compost

Great Stuff

Freerange

Karmarouge

Plastic City

Poker Flat

Soma

Systematic

Urbantorque

Labels like:

2020 vision

Simple

Compost

Great Stuff

Freerange

Karmarouge

Plastic City

Poker Flat

Soma

Systematic

Urbantorque

The only one of those i've ever heard of is Soma.

The only soma I really like is the very first one, Eterna by Slam is an amazing record. It's oldskool house though - not techno and it really is a blinding tune.

No idea where they got that vocal but it is seriously nice.

conn artist
Some of that French stuff is ok but most is too cheesy and housey for me. Mr Oizo's production has been great since his first LP, he's a terrible DJ though. Surkin, Para One, Feadz, Kazey and Bulldog are all better. Ed Banger is a bit on the gay/housey side but there are a few belters on arcade mode. I can't be doing with Justice or Sebastian at all. All of their stuff sounds too similar and cheesy. I like the French Baltimore / ghetto stuff but the electro house is poor.

Techno wise, Landstrumm, Schmidt, Vogel, Subhead, Adam X, TSR, Sueme, Jerome Hill, Red Planet, UR, Basic Channel, AFX, Tubejerk, Cut Out, Sir Real, Bill Youngman, Crystal Distortion, Luke's Anger and Jason Leech are among my favourites.

seen oizo a few weeks ago at cotton cake, had heard before that his djing was no the best, but he was unnreal that night. not a beat out of place mixing all the frnech stuff with old rave sounds and some motown too. brilliant.

all those guys you listed are what my two mates living in london used to cream themselves about now they go on about dubstep this and that which i dont really think uch of either as its too slow and bassy from the stuff i've heard, never really got into their idea of techno. they always used to go ona bout bass invaders up here, i never throught much of it. the beats where always too broken in the way dubstep is for me almost dnb.

differant strokes for diffeant folks tho i can see why they like it. i just dont think much of it.

conn artist
Obviously SpeedyJ's worth a mention. Beyer too... or even Leibling.

speedy j at the last eve PURE was rocking. the venue closed a few days after that and that night was brilliant. bouncers did not care at all. ;).

seen beyer a few times and he is great on the three decks. but i've gone right off most techno dj's. guys like may, clarke, green velvet, mills, used to be great but they are all still knocking out the same stuff they where doing ten years ago or more. dinosaurs. they must be bored stiff cos i was after seeing them once or twice years ago. i am genuinly suprised people still book them.

speedy j at the last eve PURE was rocking. the venue closed a few days after that and that night was brilliant. bouncers did not care at all. ;).

seen beyer a few times and he is great on the three decks. but i've gone right off most techno dj's. guys like may, clarke, green velvet, mills, used to be great but they are all still knocking out the same stuff they where doing ten years ago or more. dinosaurs. they must be bored stiff cos i was after seeing them once or twice years ago. i am genuinly suprised people still book them.

Yeh I was there.. worse for wear to say the least, I played the night after at the venue... was a messy weekend.

Oh and my mate who's female went home with Speedy that night, lovely lad seemingly.

Cant be ersed with May any more but think Green Velvet is still a decent show.

Also like some people like Dean Roddell, Mike Humphries and Glenn Wilson, but again this is from sone one thats not really listened to any one new for about 2 yrs.

conn artist
Yeh I was there.. worse for wear to say the least, I played the night after at the venue... was a messy weekend.

Oh and my mate who's female went home with Speedy that night, lovely lad seemingly.

Cant be ersed with May any more but think Green Velvet is still a decent show.

Also like some people like Dean Roddell, Mike Humphries and Glenn Wilson, but again this is from sone one thats not really listened to any one new for about 2 yrs.

you should check out MSTRKRFT they are playing the sort of stuff i am into these days since i stopped really listening to the techno side of things. they are two guys from toronto that play all sorts, a lot of there own production and remix stuff. but it is still pretty hard, just not like techno hard a bit more lighhearted. they played glasgow a wee while back but i couldnt make it i was gutted. they have an essentail mix which is on isohunt. well worth a download.

you should check out MSTRKRFT they are playing the sort of stuff i am into these days since i stopped really listening to the techno side of things. they are two guys from toronto that play all sorts, a lot of there own production and remix stuff. but it is still pretty hard, just not like techno hard a bit more lighhearted. they played glasgow a wee while back but i couldnt make it i was gutted. they have an essentail mix which is on isohunt. well worth a download.

Will get on to that when I get home... cheers.

seen oizo a few weeks ago at cotton cake, had heard before that his djing was no the best, but he was unnreal that night. not a beat out of place mixing all the frnech stuff with old rave sounds and some motown too. brilliant.

all those guys you listed are what my two mates living in london used to cream themselves about now they go on about dubstep this and that which i dont really think uch of either as its too slow and bassy from the stuff i've heard, never really got into their idea of techno. they always used to go ona bout bass invaders up here, i never throught much of it. the beats where always too broken in the way dubstep is for me almost dnb.

differant strokes for diffeant folks tho i can see why they like it. i just dont think much of it.

Bass Invaders are my mates. I've DJ'd at their night and they played live at mine last Christmas. Great bunch of guys.

I heard Oizo played a lot of Italo Disco at Cotton Cake - not my thing at all.

I love dubstep as well. It's great for mixing and having fun with at home but i don't think it's club music. I very rarely go to dubstep nights but i'll make an exception if Burial ever plays live in Scotland.

Exactly!!!

About 99% of the late 90's 4x4 techno guys are tired, boring and repetetive. I used to love Dave Clarke 10 years ago but i think he's terrible these days. That type of technk has had it's day.

conn artist
Exactly!!!

About 99% of the late 90's 4x4 techno guys are tired, boring and repetetive. I used to love Dave Clarke 10 years ago but i think he's terrible these days. That type of technk has had it's day.

i tried explaining that theory that techno was dead to this guy at a party and he just about had a heart attack. he was going on about sublime in edinburgh, i said that that was trance anyway.

i also hate all the diff genre names that get used. i really just want a dj to play records and suprise you with a random track or piece of technical skill. am looking forward to seeing a trak play records using his hip hop turntabalism skills at hows yor party. he is maybe not to everyones taste but seen DIPLO last summer and his choice of just about every style of music put together was really good. from baltimore to tech stuff and everything in between.

get what your sayin about dubstep. would not like to hear hours of it on a night out the odd track is cool tho. seen kode 9 and spaceape at mutek in montreal a month ago during the day and it was perfect for that time. not too heavy. then flying lotus came on and blew them away. was still pretty dub but had a more techno edge to his stuff, actually he has a really good remix of ozio -stunt. knifehandchop was also really good that day.

deesidejambo

Labels like:

2020 vision

Simple

Compost

Great Stuff

Freerange

Karmarouge

Plastic City

Poker Flat

Soma

Systematic

Urbantorque

I prefer some of the more European stuff -

Mierenneuker.

M Le Pine.

Zaadschieter

Lul

DJ Phat Knut

Procto

Amgems

The People's Chimp

Agreed about dubstep, although at snowbombing there was a fair bit being played, especially early in the week. The scratch perverts, who have raised their game so far it's unreal, played a fantastic set mixing up dubstep, crunk, ghetto tech and techno and you could see the way that dubstep has a role to play in a club setting. I dont know who played before them, but he rocked out a heavy as ****, really techy dubstep set, which was just immense. It was slow, but it was so heavy, but crisp at the same time, and you could definitely dance to it.

As for the French stuff, I'm a big fan of institubes, with guys like surkin, para one, orgasmic etc. they're linked to TTC as well, who are a great band. also at snowbombingn they had a paris terror club night, which was great...up to a point. they had it in the crappest venue and the sound was just awful. i had to leave because the sound was so disappointing. their music has that bassy quality that means you need a decent PA. they'd be well worth checking out if they come over here for a night.

I also see that dusty kid is playing the arches in oct or nov. he was fantastic at T in the P. his productions are really banging, on that elctro house/techno crossover, the kind of stuff alkan will play if he's in the mood.

Oh and carl craig was another one at T who was in top form. his sessions mix on k7 is a belter.

i tried explaining that theory that techno was dead to this guy at a party and he just about had a heart attack. he was going on about sublime in edinburgh, i said that that was trance anyway.

i also hate all the diff genre names that get used. i really just want a dj to play records and suprise you with a random track or piece of technical skill. am looking forward to seeing a trak play records using his hip hop turntabalism skills at hows yor party. he is maybe not to everyones taste but seen DIPLO last summer and his choice of just about every style of music put together was really good. from baltimore to tech stuff and everything in between.

get what your sayin about dubstep. would not like to hear hours of it on a night out the odd track is cool tho. seen kode 9 and spaceape at mutek in montreal a month ago during the day and it was perfect for that time. not too heavy. then flying lotus came on and blew them away. was still pretty dub but had a more techno edge to his stuff, actually he has a really good remix of ozio -stunt. knifehandchop was also really good that day.

I wouldn't say techno is dead, just 90's boring stuff is a little stagnant. There is still some quality stuff out there.

Flying Lotus is quality - he's making about the best instrumental hiphop on the planet at the moment. His new LP is superb.

Kode9 is brilliant as well as Scottish. Seen him a couple of times and he is very good live also. His label Hyperdub is about my favourite label at the moment.

I like knifehandchop as well. Very creative and very tongue in cheek. He's also great live. Techno, breakcore, ragga, hiphop, jungle and whatever else he uses in his live sets. The guy has a lot of talent.

I wouldn't say techno is dead, just 90's boring stuff is a little stagnant. There is still some quality stuff out there.

Flying Lotus is quality - he's making about the best instrumental hiphop on the planet at the moment. His new LP is superb.

Kode9 is brilliant as well as Scottish. Seen him a couple of times and he is very good live also. His label Hyperdub is about my favourite label at the moment.

I like knifehandchop as well. Very creative and very tongue in cheek. He's also great live. Techno, breakcore, ragga, hiphop, jungle and whatever else he uses in his live sets. The guy has a lot of talent.

Love knifehandchop, quality breakcore with as you say tongue in cheek.

Agreed about dubstep, although at snowbombing there was a fair bit being played, especially early in the week. The scratch perverts, who have raised their game so far it's unreal, played a fantastic set mixing up dubstep, crunk, ghetto tech and techno and you could see the way that dubstep has a role to play in a club setting. I dont know who played before them, but he rocked out a heavy as ****, really techy dubstep set, which was just immense. It was slow, but it was so heavy, but crisp at the same time, and you could definitely dance to it.

As for the French stuff, I'm a big fan of institubes, with guys like surkin, para one, orgasmic etc. they're linked to TTC as well, who are a great band. also at snowbombingn they had a paris terror club night, which was great...up to a point. they had it in the crappest venue and the sound was just awful. i had to leave because the sound was so disappointing. their music has that bassy quality that means you need a decent PA. they'd be well worth checking out if they come over here for a night.

I also see that dusty kid is playing the arches in oct or nov. he was fantastic at T in the P. his productions are really banging, on that elctro house/techno crossover, the kind of stuff alkan will play if he's in the mood.

Oh and carl craig was another one at T who was in top form. his sessions mix on k7 is a belter.

TTC are quality.

Their 1st 2 LPs are some of the best hiphop of the last few years. Did you like the dopplereffekt gig by the way? Was pretty stunning. Was crazy how many people left as soon as they finished.

Going to DJ Assault tonight - the ghetto mac daddy!!! Cannae wait!!!

deesidejambo
TTC are quality.

Their 1st 2 LPs are some of the best hiphop of the last few years. Did you like the dopplereffekt gig by the way? Was pretty stunning. Was crazy how many people left as soon as they finished.

I'm going to rajbassa in Madrid in September. Hopefully Seaweed will be there as well.

The People's Chimp
TTC are quality.

aye, it was really good. Though i think heaps of people had turned up expecting a rave or some banging techno. they certainly got a surprise. having said that, there was a real trainspotter fanboy element as well. it was pretty much how i expected it - sh it hot. i was with this girl thoguh who was nipping my head about when the beats going to drop etc so i only hung about for a bit after he played. :rolleyes:

i was contemplating going to assault. i bet it's going to be a quality night.

conn artist

knifehandchop came on after modesolektor (who i thought where the worst electronic act i have ever seen live but they have some decent tracks. they did a scooter type track called hyper hyper, it was completely cringeworthy) and totally lifted the night. his tunes are quite funny and the way he bops around on stage is refreshing compared to sulky dj's just messing with laptops. flying lotus was also very lively when playing. good to see interaction with the crowd and even a smile. also seen these guys called magasoid. nice hip hop samples.

i did not mean all techno is dead but its going if you know what i mean, i just meant like you said some scenes are very stale its just due to the emergance of newer styles/genres etc pushing techno further out and people wanting to describe thier sound as breakcore, grime, dubstep or whatever. thats why i dont really like going to techno nights anymore and have moved away from it to the stuff i have talked about earlier.

aye, it was really good. Though i think heaps of people had turned up expecting a rave or some banging techno. they certainly got a surprise. having said that, there was a real trainspotter fanboy element as well. it was pretty much how i expected it - sh it hot. i was with this girl thoguh who was nipping my head about when the beats going to drop etc so i only hung about for a bit after he played. :rolleyes:

i was contemplating going to assault. i bet it's going to be a quality night.

It was about the geekiest, beard stroking gig i've ever been at. Lots of older guys seeing something they've been into for years. Once in a lifetime in Glasgow.

Assault should be decent. He's got proper turntablist skills and plays ghetto / booty like a hiphop DJ. The last time I saw him was at 69 in Paisley and it was outstanding.

deesidejambo

The North European scene is changing. The 90s seminal guys have gone altruistic and the next generation is a bit plinky. Still, there are some great young frims coming out of Bavaria and East Holland. Watch out for Johan de Klootzak, Moonpus, and Hondelul.

For good 'core' check out http://www.illfm.net think knifehandchop could be on their.. check out Spitting Vitreol, Ely Muff, Tantrum and even some lighter stuff from Jerome Hill

If you go to the site then click on Archive, takes a bit to open you'll find some great stuff.

Came across it after going to a Head*** Soundsystem Squat in London last year.

deesidejambo
could always go and check out dj scotch egg.

Or Ovulator and Dikkelul in Amsterdam this Saturday.

could always go and check out dj scotch egg.

Scotch Egg's class seen him with ****mat couple of years ago when he was doing his KFC Core launch, maybe it was more than two years ago.

Not easy listening music, granted.

knifehandchop came on after modesolektor (who i thought where the worst electronic act i have ever seen live but they have some decent tracks. they did a scooter type track called hyper hyper, it was completely cringeworthy) and totally lifted the night. his tunes are quite funny and the way he bops around on stage is refreshing compared to sulky dj's just messing with laptops. flying lotus was also very lively when playing. good to see interaction with the crowd and even a smile. also seen these guys called magasoid. nice hip hop samples.

i did not mean all techno is dead but its going if you know what i mean, i just meant like you said some scenes are very stale its just due to the emergance of newer styles/genres etc pushing techno further out and people wanting to describe thier sound as breakcore, grime, dubstep or whatever. thats why i dont really like going to techno nights anymore and have moved away from it to the stuff i have talked about earlier.

I absolutely love modeselektor. I honestly think they are one of the best live bands on the planet. I also like Hyper Hyper (are you ready for tha sound of scooootah.... :biggrin:). Think i've seen them live 4 or 5 times and each one was outstanding. Don't rate their new LP as highly as the first one but it's still decent. I posted a modeselektor live set on here a couple of years ago but that was on the old server so it's probably gone since we changed it.

Scotch Egg's class seen him with ****mat couple of years ago when he was doing his KFC Core launch, maybe it was more than two years ago.

Not easy listening music, granted.

I've got that record - it's mental.

10" thing with an 8-bit hardcore version of the tetris theme tune, it's great for freaking people out who have been up all night.

Archived