Hearts Women - cup semi final - Spartans 0 Hearts 3

3fingersreid

Forever Hearts
28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You are missing the point completely. All goalkeepers regardless of their gender make mistakes. 

All this talk about reducing the goal size for women teams is nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. There are 6ft tall female goalkeepers out there, and dare I say it, some of them are excellent keepers.

I know all goalkeepers make mistakes, I've seen thousands down the years. But women goalkeepers make them on a regular basis and as has been said on here by somebody else, the height and width of the goals does them no favours whatsoever. As for 6ft female goalkeepers, they will very much be in a minority.  

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• 3fingersreid

• sadj

• Kalamazoo Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TyphoonJambo
14 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Paul Cooper 5 foot 9

Andy Goram, not quite 5 foot 11

Jorge Campos, 5 foot 7

Peter Bonetti, 5 foot 10

Rene Higuita, 5 foot 9

Steve Death (?) 5 foot 7.

As the womens game gets more and more professional and a job, career, their fitness and athletism will improve.

Joel Perreria, about 6ft2 but could miraculously shrink himself to the size of an ant if a ball was coming towards him.

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You are missing the point completely. All goalkeepers regardless of their gender make mistakes. 

All this talk about reducing the goal size for women teams is nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. There are 6ft tall female goalkeepers out there, and dare I say it, some of them are excellent keepers.

I agree however there is talk about it and if you look at many sports there are subtle changes such as the hurdles being lower in athletics, golf tees meaning holes are shorter in many cases so the idea is not so silly

In our case it's not a short term fix to get a decent team together so patience is the key and we need to allow for the growth of the game at the younger age groups

Trouble is as soon as women's sides were linked with male clubs it became a pride thing and that will be seen in years to come when clubs spend more and more on wages to support women's teams that commercially will not be able to stand on their own two feet

I wish they had been independent from the start but it's too late now however the speed of growth has probably come from such links so good news there

John Findlay
44 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Paul Cooper 5 foot 9

Jorge Campos, 5 foot 7

Peter Bonetti, 5 foot 10

Rene Higuita, 5 foot 9

As the womens game gets more and more professional and a job, career, their fitness and athletism will improve.

One of the best was only 5ft 10, Jim Cruikshank.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Lots of sports make amendments for females so it remains competitive, fair and serious. 

It's biology, in general they are not as fast, strong or tall. 

It's likely not just a height thing, women have breasts and when you jump, dive etc it must hinder and limit you. 

It's really easy to try it as well, it can always revert back. 

Snooker is another "sport" where women are at a disadvantage because of their height and breasts. 

I actually enjoy watching the odd game but the goalkeeping consistently cheapens the whole thing imo. 

5 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Joel Perreria, about 6ft2 but could miraculously shrink himself to the size of an ant if a ball was coming towards him.

😂😂😂❤❤❤

maroondevo52
6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

One of the best was only 5ft 10, Jim Cruikshank.

Jocky Robertson played for 12 years in Scotlands top flight and was only 5 feet 5 1/2 inches.

On 19/04/2021 at 11:41, Armageddon said:

You'd need 5 a side goals for her to have tipped that over the bar.

We're all kidding on thinking women's football deserves to be on the same platform as the men's, you can repeat it as many times as you want and package it as many different ways as you want - but it's shite, END OF.

The simple fix would be to remove the goals and just let them pass it about.

Its worse than under 10 boys level. Most of the women don't even look like athletes. To think we put 'six figures' in to this. 🤣

The White Cockade
On 19/04/2021 at 14:23, DETTY29 said:

Paul Cooper 5 foot 9

Jorge Campos, 5 foot 7

Peter Bonetti, 5 foot 10

Rene Higuita, 5 foot 9

I think Thompson Allan was quite wee

3fingersreid
21 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I think Thompson Allan was quite wee

There’s a blast from the past , remember watching him in a derby at the piggery , I was only a wee boy at the time but I remember thinking he wasn’t very good 

Ford Prentice

Hearts really having to dig deep against Glasgow City who got two early goals.

City are mostly full time professionals - would love to see us do that.

Goalkeeper in fine form and everyone playing for the jersey.

Half time 0:2 - on BBC website.

Ford Prentice

Beat 4:0 in the end. Held out at 2:0 until 66 minutes when goalkeeper went off injured. As they tired conceded another 2 but sub. goalkeeper pulled off a great penalty save. Both Hearts' keepers defied lazy stereotypes. Overall a hard defensive shift for the women in which they did well. 

4 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Beat 4:0 in the end. Held out at 2:0 until 66 minutes when goalkeeper went off injured. As they tired conceded another 2 but sub. goalkeeper pulled off a great penalty save. Both Hearts' keepers defied lazy stereotypes. Overall a hard defensive shift for the women in which they did well. 

Lazy?

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

First season in the top flight against a team that have win games in their champions league and only 4 is alright.  

Ford Prentice
9 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Lazy?

My own prose may have been lazy here. Don't mean women goalkeepers are stereotyped as lazy but that they are often slagged off by men who haven't taken the time to watch much other than a few clips of howlers. Sorry if I was unclear.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

My own prose may have been lazy here. Don't mean women goalkeepers are stereotyped as lazy but that they are often slagged off by men who haven't taken the time to watch much other than a few clips of howlers. Sorry if I was unclear.

I don't think I've ever watched a womans game where that hasn't been some kind of goalkeeping howler. 

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

You're obviously a fan of the women's game but surely you must admit that goalkeeper tends to be the weakest area of the game 

15 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

👍

Ford Prentice
19 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I don't think I've ever watched a womans game where that hasn't been some kind of goalkeeping howler. 

8 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You're obviously a fan of the women's game but surely you must admit that goalkeeper tends to be the weakest area of the game 

Looking back this seems to have been already done to death on this thread. So I'll post this and then retire.

I do think part of the criticism comes from people just watching clips of goals and picking out bad examples. Both Hearts keepers played well today (both considerably better than Pereira for example and we might have stayed up with either in goal last year).

I accept it's not the strongest part of the women's game overall but I'm sure the standard will improve over time.

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Looking back this seems to have been already done to death on this thread. So I'll post this and then retire.

I do think part of the criticism comes from people just watching clips of goals and picking out bad examples. Both Hearts keepers played well today (both considerably better than Pereira for example and we might have stayed up with either in goal last year).

I accept it's not the strongest part of the women's game overall but I'm sure the standard will improve over time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the women's game in general but from the games I've seen keeper seems much weaker than any other part of the team. 

24 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the women's game in general but from the games I've seen keeper seems much weaker than any other part of the team. 

And get more scrutiny because of that 

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Because all men’s games never have a keeper howler ???? 

54 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The goalkeeping is a position that needs improving , the best thing they could do is reduce the size of the goals 

40 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Don’t let it get to you bud . 
Today was a real big test for the team and whilst getting beat is never acceptable the performance was good , the effort was fantastic . 
As you said the keepers both pulled of some fantastic stops , delighted for Charlotte saving the pen after her slip up a week ago . Hopefully Aileigh won’t be out for any length of time . 

Our biggest issue is we need one maybe two experienced players to help out , say someone like a Leanne Chriton (sp) to help out on the park . 
Small matter of an Edinburgh derby next week , revenge will be on their minds . 

Forever Hearts
31 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Because all men’s games never have a keeper howler ???? 

The goalkeeping is a position that needs improving , the best thing they could do is reduce the size of the goals.

Not at all. There's just nowhere near as many comedy howlers in the mens game. 

I agree about the size of the goals. It does them no favours at all. 

On 19/04/2021 at 03:27, John Findlay said:

Funny I was watching the big match revisited from December 15th 1979. Crystal Palace v Notts Forest. Palace won 1-0. Peter Shilton(arguably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time), let the ball slip through his hands and his legs into the net.

One of the best programmes on the telly

3fingersreid
32 minutes ago, andi17 said:

One of the best programmes on the telly

Excellent programme , what gets me is the pitches they played on but still produced some quality play 

3fingersreid

Looks like a male keeper , in this case Doyle* , has had a howler , really should stop this football malarkey , complete waste of money 

* no shock there , he’s shit

Edited by 3fingersreid

Unknown user
On 25/04/2021 at 16:29, 3fingersreid said:

The goalkeeping is a position that needs improving , the best thing they could do is reduce the size of the goals 

I don't think that's going to happen, most pitches have permanently installed holders for their posts, pitch owners would need to install a second set on the goal line inside the main goal which would be a risk to the keeper for diving on, getting studs caught in etc

3fingersreid
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't think that's going to happen, most pitches have permanently installed holders for their posts, pitch owners would need to install a second set on the goal line inside the main goal which would be a risk to the keeper for diving on, getting studs caught in etc

It would be an expense to put in new holders but could the covers not be the same as the ones for the on pitch watering systems ?? 
The goal size is certainly a huge issue though 

Forever Hearts
12 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Looks like a male keeper , in this case Doyle* , has had a howler , really should stop this football malarkey , complete waste of money 

* no shock there , he’s shit

You're clutching at straws here. Female goalkeepers make far more mistakes than their male counterparts. 

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

It would be an expense to put in new holders but could the covers not be the same as the ones for the on pitch watering systems ?? 
The goal size is certainly a huge issue though 

Having said that, when goalposts were fixed at 8ft high the average height of a male was 5ft 5.

Compare with the current average height of a female at 5ft 9.

Just saying!

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Having said that, when goalposts were fixed at 8ft high the average height of a male was 5ft 5.

[b]Compare with the current average height of a female at 5ft 9.[/b]

Just saying!

5'3 is the average female height. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

5'3 is the average female height. 

Oh yes, so it is. 5ft 9 is for males.

Plenty of women out there around the 6ft mark though so should be able to develop this.

3fingersreid
4 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

You're clutching at straws here. Female goalkeepers make far more mistakes than their male counterparts. 

I take it my post didn’t read in sarcasm style then ? 

On 19/04/2021 at 18:07, Smith's right boot said:

Lots of sports make amendments for females so it remains competitive, fair and serious. 

It's biology, in general they are not as fast, strong or tall. 

It's likely not just a height thing, women have breasts and when you jump, dive etc it must hinder and limit you. 

It's really easy to try it as well, it can always revert back. 

Snooker is another "sport" where women are at a disadvantage because of their height and breasts. 

I actually enjoy watching the odd game but the goalkeeping consistently cheapens the whole thing imo. 

Did you watch mens snooker in the 70s and 80s 🤣

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I take it my post didn’t read in sarcasm style then ? 

It did, but your underlying point was that male goalkeepers make mistakes too. We know that. 

On 13/04/2021 at 11:17, The Maroon Pound said:

Is there any plans for the Hearts ladies team to go professional and take it to a higher level to compete with the Glasgow team's? 

Otherwise we will just lose our best players 

Was going to say what jbee647 did. This place would be mental. However I think its something we should look at in a couple of years. 

On 13/04/2021 at 11:23, jbee647 said:

This will be good

people losing there shit because we give the women’s team a poxy 100k and you are suggesting we add to the clubs wage bill

and I’m talking as a parent of one of the team 😊

🤣 can you imagine. 

17 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Just seen Doyle’s error , what a useless keeper he is 

There will never be a worse goalkeeper than Jim Moffat...As an aside though he is the only keeper to ever have saved pen from me in a game - was a good pen too , let one go through him minutes before too 🤬🤬. He was seriously useless. When you saw his name on the teamsheet you’d think woohoo goals guaranteed

On 19/04/2021 at 08:14, Malinga the Swinga said:

FFS, we didn't 'waste money'. Benefactor donated money specifically for women's team. In any case, it wasn't wasted, it was doing what every club should be doing and that is expanding. 

Expanding and appealing to all demographics of fans too. Ridiculous chat from some.

On 19/04/2021 at 09:01, DETTY29 said:

Wait till you see how Ayr United market their new strip launches.

🤣🤣 forgot about that

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, sadj said:

Was going to say what jbee647 did. This place would be mental. However I think its something we should look at in a couple of years. 

🤣 can you imagine. 

There will never be a worse goalkeeper than Jim Moffat...As an aside though he is the only keeper to ever have saved pen from me in a game - was a good pen too , let one go through him minutes before too 🤬🤬. He was seriously useless. When you saw his name on the teamsheet you’d think woohoo goals guaranteed

Expanding and appealing to all demographics of fans too. Ridiculous chat from some.

🤣🤣 forgot about that

Let's hope Ayr launch new kit as 1st division team. Would be good to replace Alloa and Ayr with Partick and Falkirk. 

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, sadj said:

If it was self-sustainable then of course it’s something we should do 👍🏻

3fingersreid
59 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It did, but your underlying point was that male goalkeepers make mistakes too. We know that. 

But at no point does anyone say , why are we throwing money at this ? 
My point is people , male and female make mistakes . It’s only in the last few years clubs have actually gone with keeper coaches 

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

But at no point does anyone say , why are we throwing money at this ? 
My point is people , male and female make mistakes . It’s only in the last few years clubs have actually gone with keeper coaches 

United had a goalkeeping coach in the 80s

46 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think it needs to move toward that though , can’t just flick a switch and see it sustainable. Id like to see us develop to that point with it.

50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Let's hope Ayr launch new kit as 1st division team. Would be good to replace Alloa and Ayr with Partick and Falkirk. 

🤣 would be good if they did. That playoff place will definately be a tough game be it Falkirk , Cove or Partick in it. In saying that I think Cove are at home to Partick tonight and Airdrie to Montrose two home wins and that top four is anyones guess

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

I think it needs to move toward that though , can’t just flick a switch and see it sustainable. Id like to see us develop to that point with it.

Not sure why can’t charge £10 entrance for games, try and generate some interest etc 

Let’s be honest, if we are professional then it’s around 20 players on, say, £25k/year. If we want to progress then those salaries will only get higher.  Then staff on top of that. Simply cannot see us making that kind of commitment right now. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure why can’t charge £10 entrance for games, try and generate some interest etc 

Let’s be honest, if we are professional then it’s around 20 players on, say, £25k/year. If we want to progress then those salaries will only get higher.  Then staff on top of that. Simply cannot see us making that kind of commitment right now. 

No not right now unless its a benefactor. In terms of that investment i think it needs to be built too those levels slowly inline with investment into sponsorship and women’s football from the associations. How that can happen up here with our associations though i don’t know. They can’t even get worthwhile sponsors for the mens game.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think the self-sustainable thing is important.  If it’s a product that’s going to continue to be watched by a handful of people then that tells me it’s an amateur sport and should be run as an amateur sport.  No sport, men or women, has a god given right to be professional - if the interest / funding isn’t there then it should remain amateur imo.   Nothing wrong with remaining amateur, getting women to participate is the key thing, not how much they can get paid for doing it. 

3fingersreid
37 minutes ago, sadj said:

United had a goalkeeping coach in the 80s

🤣 would be good if they did. That playoff place will definately be a tough game be it Falkirk , Cove or Partick in it. In saying that I think Cove are at home to Partick tonight and Airdrie to Montrose two home wins and that top four is anyones guess

United ?

I was referring to the women’s teams 🤔

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Hearts Women - cup semi final - Spartans 0 Hearts 3