Alistair Huett

pharmaceutical01

pharmaceutical01

Just back from Alistair's funeral, and I wonder if any older JKBers remember Alistair. He was a grade one official who acted as both referee and linesman ( not at the same time) at Tynie. He did have a soft spot for JTs and regaled me with stories of officials being locked in their changing rooms with Hearts 'losing' the key after an OF match and of a European officiating team when Hearts refused to pay the match fee, hotel bill and transport as they had reffed so badly. Would be interested if anybody remembers him and if he was any good as I only got to know him in his later life.

davemclaren
53 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Just back from Alistair's funeral, and I wonder if any older JKBers remember Alistair. He was a grade one official who acted as both referee and linesman ( not at the same time) at Tynie. He did have a soft spot for JTs and regaled me with stories of officials being locked in their changing rooms with Hearts 'losing' the key after an OF match and of a European officiating team when Hearts refused to pay the match fee, hotel bill and transport as they had reffed so badly. Would be interested if anybody remembers him and if he was any good as I only got to know him in his later life.

I remember him from the 80s I think.  He got a lot less abuse than some so must have been ok. 😄

1 hour ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Wasnt the European game against Bologna? 

Back to 2005

Remember the name but don’t recall him refereeing many of our games. The referee that was locked in was David Syme after a typical exhibition of impartiality against Rangers in the late 80’s. 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

I remember the name and have a slight memory of what he looked like. Doesn't seem to have upset us greatly, otherwise he'd be remembered for the wrong reasons. An Edinburgh referee?

First I've heard of the incident with Hearts and the European officials, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hearts thought they'd been involved in a financial arrangement with the opposition. Dundee United were on the wrong end of a bent referee in a European Cup semi final against Roma, in the 80s.  It certainly went on.

There were Scottish officials who attracted punishment from the SFA for accepting gifts from an Italian team. JPR Gordon and Rollo Kyle come to mind, but I could be wrong.

Malinga the Swinga

My dad, no longer with us, was close friends with Alistair, and met him many times.

From what I recall, he was pretty much a stand up guy.

Time just flies past quicker.

pharmaceutical01
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

My dad, no longer with us, was close friends with Alistair, and met him many times.

From what I recall, he was pretty much a stand up guy.

Time just flies past quicker.

Yeah he was, MtS. He was also really funny and switched on. Not what I imagined as a top flight ref

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

I remember the name, and think I talked to him a few times in the old Barnton Hotel in the 80s or 90s.  Did he live in that area ?