The great Lafayette

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

This Edinburgh story has always fascinated me . He was a world famous magician who died in the famous fire at the Empire theatre. He is buried at Piershill cemetery . His dog who died 4 days before him was given permission to be buried there as long as Lafayette could be buried there too ! Eeerily he did , 4 days later !

I’ve still to Locate   his grave , as I’ve been there a few times to visit family members . 

At the end of the article are two great films from the incident . His funeral and the after events of the fire . 

The Great Lafayette ( 1911)

The Great Lafayette's mystifying illusions  made him one of the most popular and highest paid entertainers of the early 20th century.  Lafayette had an eccentric lifestyle. He lived with a small dog, named Beauty, which he had been given by Harry Houdini. The dog slept on velvet cushions, dined with Lafayette and had a collar of pure gold studded with diamonds. Lafayette's London home and his private railway carriage had special rooms for Beauty, fitted with dog-sized settees and miniature porcelain baths. 

Lafayette opened a two-week season at the Empire Theatre of Varieties (now the Festival Theatre) in Nicolson Street, Edinburgh on May 1. Four days later Beauty died of apoplexy, caused by over-feeding. Lafayette was grief-stricken, he had Beauty embalmed and was given permission to have the dog interred at Piershill Cemetery, provided he agreed to be buried in the same place. 

Meanwhile the show went on. On Tuesday May 9, 3000 spectators packed the Empire Theatre for Lafayette's performance. In Lafayette's finale, the 'Lion's Bride' - a lion paced in a cage, a young woman in Oriental dress walked slowly on stage and entered the cage. When she was inside, the lion roared and reared up ready to pounce. The animal skin was then suddenly ripped away to reveal The Great Lafayette who had changed places with the lion.  

As the Great Lafayette took his bow, a lamp fell into the scenery which caught fire. It took three hours to bring the fire under control, and eleven people died – including the Great Lafayette.

On May 14, 1911 the streets of Edinburgh were thronged with spectators to see his ashes moved from a funeral parlour in Morrison Street to Piershill Cemetery. The funeral was described as 'one of the most extraordinary internments of modern times'. There was great ceremonial at the Cemetery, as Beauty's coffin was opened and Lafayette's ashes placed beside the dog. 

Film of his funeral

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1620?fbclid=IwAR3TSLRO0RL5O8CbqTkR2QFzilLN-o1urfkgK9Xf12TM6Eq9ew4801F3Isg_aem_Ads4UrBgEoFOo9t20tlIBNBk78J2JTPje-_y0VY2FK5AofHn4kVbEO1EsHGMDGouMKo

Film of the fire aftermath

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1607?fbclid=IwAR2sqCvhg8W-j5tMqf2VBpisYn2dvW-JNiMb9InONxb59ev8mLxZ69nVvX0_aem_Adtm8NGUwOxh9Y45Ncy_SeU_RsU7TDJvPad1TwcR17jhkwNGoJ2MG0Fj31Qly3g9J94

IMG_5084.jpeg

IMG_5083.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, JKB Member C said:

It's a great story JJJ.

The grave's pretty easy to find.

laffayette.png

Yes it fascinates me as I love magicians and magic . I’ll ask the office at the cemetery next time I’m there ( hopefully not in a coffin😂

hughesie27
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes it fascinates me as I love magicians and magic . I’ll ask the office at the cemetery next time I’m there ( hopefully not in a coffin😂

Can you not see the bright pink cock and balls in the picture showing you where it is?

Armageddon
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Can you not see the bright pink cock and balls in the picture showing you where it is?

Haha you're now talking JJJ's language I'm sure!

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I missed that !!! Lol I’ve probably walked passed it many a time 🕰️ 😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Haha you're now talking JJJ's language I'm sure!

Not like me to miss that 😂

JudyJudyJudy

I actually just assumed it was the entrance to the cemetery and that was. Flag of some sort ! 😂

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

What a story, my grandparents are buried there, I'll take a peek the next time I'm down there.

Yes most of my family are there too . It’s a lovely cemetery . My place is booked too 😎

14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I actually just assumed it was the entrance to the cemetery and that was. Flag of some sort ! 😂

Just don't go on Pink Cock and Balls Flag day, the grave'll be a bugger to find.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, JKB Member C said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just don't go on Pink Cock and Balls Flag day, the grave'll be a bugger to find.

Yes it’ll be a “ bugger “ to find ! 

😂😂 Jesus , it’s a serious topic really , why has this descended into smut and innuendo ! 

IMG_1266.gif

Carl Fredrickson

IIRC it was due to this firm that there are now the fire safety curtains that are used in theatres to prevent a fire from stage to seats and vice versa. 

I do love magicians too. I think they're magic. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

IIRC it was due to this firm that there are now the fire safety curtains that are used in theatres to prevent a fire from stage to seats and vice versa. 

👍 Houdini was the greatest I feel . I remember as a child  being enthralled David Nixon magic show on the telly and loved it since then . Surprised there hasn’t been a film about the great Lafeyette . He seemed rather Camp too 😂

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

👍 Houdini was the greatest I feel . I remember as a child  being enthralled David Nixon magic show on the telly and loved it since then . Surprised there hasn’t been a film about the great Lafeyette . He seemed rather Camp too 😂

I love the whole illusion stuff. My daughter had a magician at her birthday party last year and I was trying to figure out how each trick was done. 

A local magician to me has some shows at the Festival - Dan Bastianelli - check him out. I have yet to "suss" any of his illusions. 

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Der Kaiser said:

Was his coffin sawn in half as well?

Grave next to him is a crossword wizard 

Spoiler

He's buried two down,six across 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

Grave next to him is a crossword wizard 

Hide contents

He's buried two down,six across 

That had me in Stitches 🧵 😂😂😂

IMG_8835.gif

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I love the whole illusion stuff. My daughter had a magician at her birthday party last year and I was trying to figure out how each trick was done. 

A local magician to me has some shows at the Festival - Dan Bastianelli - check him out. I have yet to "suss" any of his illusions. 

Yes I want to know and I don’t want to know ! Many of the tricks are to do with doubles / twins . Like the Lafayette trick in which he perished . I’ll check him out . Cheers 👍

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Safety curtains existed a long time before this happened and there was one in The Empire otherwise many more would have died. So maybe this proved their usefulness and made them compulsory. 

Carl Fredrickson
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Safety curtains existed a long time before this happened and there was one in The Empire otherwise many more would have died. So maybe this proved their usefulness and made them compulsory. 

Cheers, I had it in my mind that this was the reason they were implemented but wouldnt swear that was the case

Edit

From Wiki 

In 1794 the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane became the first theatre to install an iron safety curtain.[3] Several other serious fires, notably that at the Theatre Royal, Exeter in 1887, led to the introduction of safety curtains on a wider scale. However, Edinburgh's Royal Lyceum Theatre, built in 1883, has also been described as the "[first] theatre in Britain to be fitted with an iron safety curtain".[4][5]

Every day is a school day. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Throughly enjoyed that Jim ! Thanks . 

Some very interesting points raised in it about how people / crowds/ audience respond to such emergencies like a fire 🔥 .

The podcaster noted that human communication and instruction helped people not to panic . The theatre manager made an inspiring and life saving decision for the audience it seems . He knew the fire was raging on the stage but the audience thought it was still part of the act so they didnt move . He knew if the audience panicked it would be pandemonium.

Therefore he asked the conductor of the orchestra to play “ god save the king “ to ensure people quietly get up and leave .   It worked not one of the 3000 audience died . No doubt if oor resident brave heart was in the audience he would have been toast 😂

The information about how people reacted or didn’t react at the king cross fire was startling too . 👍

6 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Was his coffin sawn in half as well?

No, he was though. Managed to fit him in the same coffin as his dug. 

• 8 months later...
JudyJudyJudy

I finally had a decent look at his grave today . I was at Piershill to lay some flowers at family members graves . He’s got a very impressive and attention seeking stone and grave ! 

There is even a scan code at his grave site to this interesting site . 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFuzWU9IUo/zwpBRI2ewYcQw17zof7lGA/view?utm_content=DAFuzWU9IUo&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink#17

This site won’t let me upload a couple pics I took . Think they are too big . 

Wee Mikey
7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I finally had a decent look at his grave today . I was at Piershill to lay some flowers at family members graves . He’s got a very impressive and attention seeking stone and grave ! 

There is even a scan code at his grave site to this interesting site . 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFuzWU9IUo/zwpBRI2ewYcQw17zof7lGA/view?utm_content=DAFuzWU9IUo&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink#17

This site won’t let me upload a couple pics I took . Think they are too big . 

Allow me:-

Screenshot_20240314_230206_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240314_230215_Gallery.jpg