Wildlife crossings in Scotland?

ri Alban

I hear wildlife crossings are quite common in the Netherlands. Does Scotland have any? 

Edited by ri Alban

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Puffins and Toucans as well.

I've never heard of those before. Every day is a school day, eh? 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

There's a Pegasus crossing as well but I'm a bit dubious about the existence of winged horses.

Cairneyhill Jambo
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hear wildlife crossings are quite common in the Netherlands. Does Scotland have any? 

Yes. Transport Scotland install underpasses on main trunk roads to allow various species to safely cross the roads. The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Road has also got rope bridges across it to allow red squirrels to cross. 

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

There's a Pegasus crossing as well but I'm a bit dubious about the existence of winged horses.

Why would they need a crossing? 

I think there might be some places that provide tunnels under the roads for hedgehogs, badgers etc. Don't think it's very common though.

It should be. I hate seeing hedgehogs dead on the road.

I remember when I was still working on the roads, we were replacing a few cattle grids around the island. The amount of dead hedgehogs in them was quite amazing. Part of the design now for them is to have basically a set of hedgehog steps under the cattle grid on each side of the road.

I thought it was a piss take when we were working on the first 1.

10 minutes ago, superjack said:

I remember when I was still working on the roads, we were replacing a few cattle grids around the island. The amount of dead hedgehogs in them was quite amazing. Part of the design now for them is to have basically a set of hedgehog steps under the cattle grid on each side of the road.

I thought it was a piss take when we were working on the first 1.

One of my dogs tried to walk over a cattle grid once.  The look on his face, as he was sat there unable to move, was priceless.

Tommy Brown

A few weeks back heading off the m9 onto Newbridge Roundabout.

I was on outside lane, seen mother duck with god knows (10 ducklings) on my lane ahead. Oh ****!!!

Pulled into inside lane behind a car.

Mother got spooked and ran onto inside lane, car in front killed it.

Ducklings all left on other.

Horrible.

highlandjambo3
52 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Toucan, if you just remember that “two can”…..that means that two can use this path, pedestrians & cyclists (sign below) that means the traffic light crossings on that path are toucan (two can)……simples yes?

IMG_5270.png

Rural South Lanarkshire - I've seen about half a dozen dead badgers around here this year. That said, it wouldn't be very practical to put badge runs under every little back road.

highlandjambo3
47 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I think there might be some places that provide tunnels under the roads for hedgehogs, badgers etc. Don't think it's very common though.

In Canada they have small bridges to allow bears/wolves/elk etc to cross a road safely…….of course it also helps if the animals know how to use them 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are they fek.

It's shameful the inconsiderate manner we think in construction and conservation.

We still don't get it .The life of everything is linked.

On our level too ri.

We've all been nipped about nesting birds or bats.

Most motorways or major roads have hedge type tree lines.

Saw a baby badger dead the ither day.

And what struck me was it was unusual.

Because you used to see a lot more roadkill.

I will say my beastie window is busier this year.

It never fails to fekin rile me how with all our intelligence we have just shit on the other life's that share the planet.

Anyway crossing would help link the patchwork of greenery. That's the trouble with insect life as well.

I dunno maybe it's just the way it meant to be.

But the beauty of wild life is dying on every single measurement.

Our crime against other life forms if we as a species survive will be judged.

Fekin shame sorry for the rant.

15 minutes ago, Ked said:

Are they fek.

It's shameful the inconsiderate manner we think in construction and conservation.

On our level too ri.

It never fails to fekin rile me how with all our intelligence we have just shit on the other life's that share the planet.

Anyway crossing would help link the patchwork of greenery. That's the trouble with insect life as well.

I was out on my motorbike today and the number of wee beasties who went to meet their maker must have run into the thousands.

Dick Dastardly
20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Toucan, if you just remember that “two can”…..that means that two can use this path, pedestrians & cyclists (sign below) that means the traffic light crossings on that path are toucan (two can)……simples yes?

IMG_5270.png

Just makes me think of Guinness tbh

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, graygo said:

If they can't be arsed flying.

That's probably why there are none of the lazy *******s left

39 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Rural South Lanarkshire - I've seen about half a dozen dead badgers around here this year. That said, it wouldn't be very practical to put badge runs under every little back road.

I thought the farmers killed them illegally and passed it off as road kill.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Not seen them for years,dead or alive 🤔

7 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Not seen them for years,dead or alive 🤔

I'm over in Ayrshire. I see lots of hedgehogs and sadly too many killed on the road.

1 hour ago, JKB Member C said:

One of my dogs tried to walk over a cattle grid once.  The look on his face, as he was sat there unable to move, was priceless.

To be fair, a few times walking from my mates after a few drinks and smokes I've done the same. Thankfully we've got rodnif the cattle grid coming into our village now as everybodys crofts are all fenced off now.

3 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Yes. Transport Scotland install underpasses on main trunk roads to allow various species to safely cross the roads. The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Road has also got rope bridges across it to allow red squirrels to cross. 

👍

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Bauld said:

I'm over in Ayrshire. I see lots of hedgehogs and sadly too many killed on the road.

Used to see hedgehogs in the eighties,never see them now,but looking around the village most people haven't got a garden,just monoblocked driveways and fences. Plus since lockdown place is overrun with rats

3 hours ago, Ked said:

Are they fek.

On our level too ri.

👍 I agree 

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Just for pelicans and zebras, i think. 

Pretty sure it’s pelicon crossing and that’s not me being a pedant. It was on the James O’Brien Mystery Hour podcast. It stands for Pedestrian Light Controlled.

Dick Dastardly
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Pretty sure it’s pelicon crossing and that’s not me being a pedant. It was on the James O’Brien Mystery Hour podcast. It stands for Pedestrian Light Controlled.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_298c9dd3-a6ec-40de-ad92-4814d0b1c1cb_554x623.png

11 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Used to see hedgehogs in the eighties,never see them now,but looking around the village most people haven't got a garden,just monoblocked driveways and fences. Plus since lockdown place is overrun with rats

I see a hedgehog in our back garden most nights, sure it's nesting next door but was then unable to get out our garden so have sawn off a bit at the bottom of our fence so the little guy can go explore further afield

Lone Striker
29 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I see a hedgehog in our back garden most nights, sure it's nesting next door but was then unable to get out our garden so have sawn off a bit at the bottom of our fence so the little guy can go explore further afield

👍  I've heard a few naturalists urge home-owners with a fenced garden to make a hole somewhere at the bottom of it to allow  animals like badgers, foxes, hedgehogs a wider territory in which to forage and nest.

Not always possible though, if your fence is shared with a grumpy neighbour  😏

35 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍  I've heard a few naturalists urge home-owners with a fenced garden to make a hole somewhere at the bottom of it to allow  animals like badgers, foxes, hedgehogs a wider territory in which to forage and nest.

Not always possible though, if your fence is shared with a grumpy neighbour  😏

I've a dog I need to keep in. But I'm sure my cat would appreciate the hunt. 😆

Edited by ri Alban

Lone Striker
Just now, ri Alban said:

😃  Yeah, know what you mean.     Quite a few wildlife campaigns to help one group are likely to  harm other groups.    If you're way down a food chain and a beast one wrung above you gets some help....... 😲

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

We've got two cats, both sit and stare at the hedgehog but don't dare to get too close