• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZadokThePriest

• Morgan

• Gundermann

• The Real Maroonblood

With the 12th July approaching, I am treated to the local band practising 3 or 4 nights a week about a mile down the road, which I can hear clear as day in my back garden.

How none of them have worked out that their stupid tin whistles sound absolutely shite is beyond me.  Like a primary school class let loose with the recorders. 

Edited by tian447

periodictabledancer

Great news and the sooner it folds completely, the better. I remember them in the 70s marching up London Rd to Princes St gardens. The levels of drunkenness were disgusting but perfectly understandable for this bigoted dinosaur of an organisation. Scotland will be a much better place without it. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

No Surrender🇬🇧

IMG_2093.jpeg

Didn't realise they were so forward thinking. Genuinely wouldn't have expected the Orange Order to have drag queens marching. 

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

No Surrender🇬🇧

IMG_2093.jpeg

OMG 

Francis Albert

My only contact with the Orange Order was in Broxburn maybe 60 years ago. My  cousin, an avid Hibs fan by the way, invited me to watch the 12th July parade. Outside the Catholic church in the main street where the drum beating was particularly enthusiastic. If you ignored the context it was probably one of the highlights of the year in Broxburn!

Anyway I have no religious belief so I have had no interest in sectarian nonsense between those belonging to different branches of believers in a mythical sky god.

But never quite understood why the Orange Order seem to be vilified more than say the Provisional IRA.

And to be heretic some of the songs aren't bad. As is true of some Irish Republican ones.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Norm said:

Didn't realise they were so forward thinking. Genuinely wouldn't have expected the Orange Order to have drag queens marching. 

Boris Johnson’s new vocation. 

17 hours ago, R9. said:

The big hoose must stay open!!!! 🧡

:laugh:

16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I thought the funniest comment was below the article saying that it was being turned into a Chinese restaurant - The Orange Wok. 🤣

😁

They don't do woking away... ho-hum...

5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Cracking day was had by all. 

In the true spirit of KIng Billy. The original pride.

694080570_orangegaymarch.jpg.cdb2458186e5f41ecad7d6eec34d2786.jpg

Last time I saw one it was a pitiful sight . Under a dozen wee fat piggies in human gear , and a jakeball in a Hun top swinging a carry out about 

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Last time I saw one it was a pitiful sight . Under a dozen wee fat piggies in human gear , and a jakeball in a Hun top swinging a carry out about 

An Orange lodge? Bricks and mortar surely, even in Larkhall :whistling:

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

An Orange lodge? Bricks and mortar surely, even in Larkhall :whistling:

Pricks and mortified is more accurate , but yip , fair comment :lol: 

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, Gundermann said:

In the true spirit of KIng Billy. The original pride.

694080570_orangegaymarch.jpg.cdb2458186e5f41ecad7d6eec34d2786.jpg

James has now changed his opinion.  

Not for the first time :biggrin2:

24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

WCWs version of the British Bulldogs never really caught on 

Soooo

We have to accept all races,creeds,religions and sexual preferences but the Orange order are unacceptable.

What a time to be alive.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Oh yuck no thanks 😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Nucky Thompson

I knew loads of folk who were members when we were growing up in the '80's. I don't think any of them are in it nowadays.

It's certainly from the bygone days of yore and a bit old fashioned in this day and age 

That thing you do
6 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Great news and the sooner it folds completely, the better. I remember them in the 70s marching up London Rd to Princes St gardens. The levels of drunkenness were disgusting but perfectly understandable for this bigoted dinosaur of an organisation. Scotland will be a much better place without it. 

100% it will.

56 minutes ago, stevie said:

Soooo

We have to accept all races,creeds,religions and sexual preferences but the Orange order are unacceptable.

What a time to be alive.

It's ironic, isn't it. To promote and encourage tolerance we have to be intolerant of the intolerant.

Still the right thing to do though.

Marching around insisting their version of the imaginary creature in the sky is the correct one.

In a couple of hundred years they will look back and think wtf were they on

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Marching around insisting their version of the imaginary creature in the sky is the correct one.

In a couple of hundred years they will look back and think wtf were they on

:spoton:

jack D and coke

It’s good to think that all the religious pish in the world will die out. 
I’ve got nephews who don’t understand it at all and I’m really glad they don’t. 
I’ve got pals who went to the catholic schools themselves who now send their laddies just to the local one now and don’t force anything on them.
Progress👍🏼

And less catholics😀

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, stevie said:

Soooo

What a time to be alive.

Yep. Tolerance only for those you agree with is the new way.

davemclaren
54 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

To be fair, the Orange Order are not renowned for their wide ranging tolerance. 

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, the Orange Order are not renowned for their wide ranging tolerance. 

This. 

Apparently we should respect and be tolerant of non tolerant organisations

Would be sad to see them go to be honest because they are a bit of a confidence boost.  You see these tragic bairns prancing about and it instantly makes you feel better about your own life. 

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Would be sad to see them go to be honest because they are a bit of a confidence boost.  You see these tragic bairns prancing about and it instantly makes you feel better about your own life. 

:clap:

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

🎣 

the posh bit
19 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I was in Glasgow last year and there was a walk on. I actually felt sorry for them. 

An old pal of mine used to play the big drum in the local flute band. He said he would give it absolute laldy as they passed the chapel. He said he lost heart when he saw the village priest enjoying the spectacle, smiling and clapping along 😁

On 14/06/2023 at 21:38, Gundermann said:

What’ll happen to aw the white gloves, bowler hats and wee purple cushions though???

17 hours ago, stevie said:

Soooo

What a time to be alive.

The Orange Order are a race...?

:cornette:

FWIW, I support their right to worship whichever god they choose to believe in. I support their right to worship in whatever church they wish and to have their own holy day to observe. I don't support their right to deny that to others - say Catholics - even though I don't agree with any of them and worship no god.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

The Orange Order are a race...?

:cornette:

FWIW, I support their right to worship whichever god they choose to believe in. I support their right to worship in whatever church they wish and to have their own holy day to observe. I don't support their right to deny that to others - say Catholics - even though I don't agree with any of them and worship no god.

I fear I may get a reputation as an Orangeman (which I am far from) but what rights do they deny to others? The right to join the Orange Lodge is the only one I can think of. 

The rights you describe are not within the Orange Orders gift or right to deny

Edited by Francis Albert

19 hours ago, stevie said:

Soooo

What a time to be alive.

Did find it quite funny that to express their joy at the demise of a bigoted institution that pictures are used of the head of another bigoted organisation but hey ho. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I fear I may get a reputation as an Orangeman (which I am far from) but what rights do they deny to others? The right to join the Orange Lodge is the only one I can think of. 

The rights you describe are not within the Orange Orders gift or righ to deny

Francis "King Billy" Albert of Orange. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Francis "King Billy" Albert of Orange. 

The Catholic origin of my user name and my "mixed marriage" would I think deny me that honour.

I did have to take a course on Catholicism before a priest would allow me to be married in a Catholic church. 

Orangemen are not the only bigots.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

The Catholic origin of my user name and my "mixed marriage" would I think deny me that honour.

I did have to take a course on Catholicism before a priest would allow me to be married in a Catholic church. 

🤣 I'm just messing. 

No sure how they'd look at me going to a Catholic primary school! 

henrysmithsgloves
8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What was he expecting,It was a green bucket 🤔

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Up to 1970, even that wouldn't have been possible.  My grandparents married in Ireland during WW II, and couldn't do so unless one or other of them "flipped".  So my grandfather (Billy) flipped.  As it happens, his new father-in-law was called Francis, though there's no record of any Alberts in the clan.  ;) 

My wife is catholic and a lot of her family are the most bigoted people I've met.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Up to 1970, even that wouldn't have been possible.  My grandparents married in Ireland during WW II, and couldn't do so unless one or other of them "flipped".  So my grandfather (Billy) flipped.  As it happens, his new father-in-law was called Francis, though there's no record of any Alberts in the clan.  ;) 

The tuition was mainly around how any children would be brought up. Since my then future wife was quite religious (and I was not at all) passing the test was easy enough.

I suppose minority religions/sects (eg Jews and Muslims in this country) naturally worry about dilution of the line. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

🤣 I'm just messing. 

No sure how they'd look at me going to a Catholic primary school! 

You would fail at that familiar old Edinburgh question (which school did you go to?)

Watched the Big 25 year one last year in Midlothian. You might be surprised to hear that there appeared to be minimal hangers on, and it was striking how much effort (and cost) some of the bands had put in to looking good.

• cosanostra locked this topic