Whose line is it anyway?

ri Alban

When they both had Ryan Styles and Colin mochrie on they could be genuinely funny shows. As always the British one had far more relevance to our humour but the American version had its moments. 

Pete Elliott
7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

When they both had Ryan Styles and Colin mochrie on they could be genuinely funny shows. As always the British one had far more relevance to our humour but the American version had its moments. 

The unbelievably unfunny Drew Carey spoiled the US version. Tried to take too much of the limelight for himself while Clive Anderson knew just to let the comedians do their thing.

Just now, Pete Elliott said:

The unbelievably unfunny Drew Carey spoiled the US version. Tried to take too much of the limelight for himself while Clive Anderson knew just to let the comedians do their thing.

Would agree with this. Drew Carey trying to to do the improv and singalongs, when he was clearly shit at it, was cringe. Clive Anderson knew his role was to simply promote and get the most out of the brilliant comedians on stage. 

Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops and Tony Slattery was the best lineup. 

Always disappointing if either of the first two didn't feature.

Nookie Bear

Loved Mike McShane on that as well plus John Sessions always added some high brow nonsense to proceedings that went down well.

8 minutes ago, Cheile said:

The UK version by far, especially when Josie Lawrence was on.

Is the right answer.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

ive never heard of it.

what ? whos line is it anyway ? or " both a load of shite"? 🙂

Harry Potter
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

what ? whos line is it anyway ? or " both a load of shite"? 🙂

The programme, what time is it on. maybe washing my hair and missed it 😄.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

think i was on channel 4 and it had all those Pouncey left wingers types new wave 

" comediennes " who tried to outdo each other with witty one liners. tony slattery being a prime example. 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Both a load of shite 

Thought you'd love a bit of drama 😁

Edited by neilnunb

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Thought you'd love a bit of drama 😁

17883909_10156171833212619_9012502716035150024_n.jpg

Neve really saw much of the US version.

Whose Line Is Is Anyway (UK) was part of quite a good line up of shows on a Friday night back then in the late 80s, early 90s

C4 was good in those days.  

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

For clever folk(The participants on the show) so don't mind James.

Edited by ri Alban

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Neve really saw much of the US version.

Whose Line Is Is Anyway (UK) was part of quite a good line up of shows on a Friday night back then in the late 80s, early 90s

C4 was good in those days.  

Drop the dead donkey being the best.  

3 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Drop the dead donkey being the best.  

TFI Friday was not too bad to start with, then ended up crap.

Always thought it was self indulgent, look at me, pish. Tony feckin Slattery, Jesus, there's a face you would never tire of skelping.

8 minutes ago, JWL said:

Always thought it was self indulgent, look at me, pish. Tony feckin Slattery, Jesus, there's a face you would never tire of skelping.

Think you’re reading it wrong mate.  (Or maybe I am?😁)

Would never think in a million years it was self indulgent. 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Think you’re reading it wrong mate.  (Or maybe I am?😁)

Would never think in a million years it was self indulgent. 

Just my memory of it but to be fair, it was over 30 years ago and I was an angry wee shite back then. Maybe if I watched it today I'd be less critical. Not about Tony Slattery though, he definitely was a self indulgent, irritating prick that I'd never tire of slapping.

Pete Elliott

Think Slattery was only involved in the first couple of seasons. Its peak years were when most shows had the foursome of Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops and Wayne Brady. 

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Just my memory of it but to be fair, it was over 30 years ago and I was an angry wee shite back then. Maybe if I watched it today I'd be less critical. Not about Tony Slattery though, he definitely was a self indulgent, irritating prick that I'd never tire of slapping.

Haha.  Was never a huge fan of TS, to be fair.  

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

liked this but in the US version 

Suddenly JudyJudyJudy is a fan. 😂

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

For clever folk(The participants on the show) so don't mind James.

Would that be folk wi a degree, NVQ, SVQ, HNC, HND, Highers, O grades, or just clued up on life.

2 hours ago, JWL said:

It's improv comedy, wtf else are you expecting to look at if not the comedians? :lol:

JudyJudyJudy
57 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Funniest show on telly. 

As Oscar Wilde once said " opinions are like arseholes , everyone has one ".  well i think it was him  :) 

I prefered " are you being served? had me in fits of laughter since i was a kid and it still does. Harmless humour really 

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Splatters was going through some pretty heavy mental stuff a few years ago. 

I reckon that type of performance goes hand in hand with such issues. 

Yes i read a moving article about his mental health.  He just cracked up it seems. 

Slattery has struggled for decades with addictions to alcohol and drugs after repressing being sexually abused as a child. There was a really sad documentary about him on BBC a year or two back.

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Would that be folk wi a degree, NVQ, SVQ, HNC, HND, Highers, O grades, or just clued up on life.

Just fast of thought, I'd have thought. Lee Mack and David Mitchell would be superb at this.

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

As Oscar Wilde once said " opinions are like arseholes , everyone has one ".  well i think it was him  :) 

*I prefered " are you being served? had me in fits of laughter since i was a kid and it still does. Harmless humour really 

*Absolute garbage tv. But hey, there's stuff for everyone.👍 Stuff like Last of the summer wine, Dads Army and Waiting for God made Sundays unbearable.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Slattery has struggled for decades with addictions to alcohol and drugs after repressing being sexually abused as a child. There was a really sad documentary about him on BBC a year or two back.

Yes I think he turned to the drink too . 

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

*Absolute garbage tv. But hey, there's stuff for everyone.👍 Stuff like Last of the summer wine, Dads Army and Waiting for God made Sundays unbearable.

Yes well it was just daft comedy it wasn’t claiming to be clever and intellectual 🧐 i liked “ butterflies “ 

“ the golden girls “ 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes well it was just daft comedy it wasn’t claiming to be clever and intellectual 🧐 i liked “ butterflies “ 

“ the golden girls “ 

Nowt wrong with the golden girls.  Touched loads of taboos and was pretty ground breaking for its time. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Definitely raise you. PEEP SHOW.

Didn't get into that.  Dtdd felt like a 90s version of yes minister (still relevant today!) in a way. 

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, cannonfoda said:

Didn't get into that.  Dtdd felt like a 90s version of yes minister (still relevant today!) in a way. 

Was a good comedy, no doubt about that 

On 12/06/2023 at 11:51, JudyJudyJudy said:

think i was on channel 4 and it had all those Pouncey left wingers types new wave 

" comediennes " who tried to outdo each other with witty one liners. tony slattery being a prime example. 

That's it in a nutshell 🤣