Japan

TheBigO

TheBigO
2 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Hey TheBigO, I hope you had a great time in Japan. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks and was hoping that you could give me some info that would make my trip a little easier. I tried to PM you with no success. 

Cheers 

Ah hey man, ill delete some messages to allow a message.

My biggest practical advice is geta pasmo tourist passport rail pass as soon as you get there. Takes some pissing about to find, but ask in a big station like Shinjuku or Tokyo Station. Save you loads of time and hassle being able just to buzz thru when travelling.

But aye, gimme a shout chief

Ps its amazing btw. Totally fell in love with the place, the people, food, scenery, culture, whole lot, its just a brilliant country.

Heart of Darkness
22 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Where are you going, and what sort of things are you hoping to do? 

Arrive in Tokyo for a couple of days. Train down to Kyoto where we will be based and do our travelling from there. We will be following a couple of itineraries for places to visit. 

Craig_
1 hour ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Arrive in Tokyo for a couple of days. Train down to Kyoto where we will be based and do our travelling from there. We will be following a couple of itineraries for places to visit. 

Sounds great. Make sure to get your bento box before you get on the bullet train. The Nozomi trains are the fastest and most comfortable and leave every fifteen minutes or so. Think it's about ninety quid or so to Kyoto. 

Would definitely head to Osaka for a wander around, it's only half an hour on the train from Kyoto. The whole area around the Dotonbori is tremendous fun, lots going on and great street food etc.

Kyoto a lot more traditional, lovely shrines etc and good fun laughing at all the idiots who've hired the whole get-up (it's a tourist tradition apparently, but looks ridiculous IMO!).

Food-wise, the small independent restaurants are usually the best ones for Ramen and the like, or the aforementioned street vendors for octopus balls, yakitori etc. Try and seek out a branch of Kura, the supposedly original conveyor belt sushi joint. And the corner shops (7-Eleven, Lawsons etc) have great hot snacks, sandwiches etc. And the Kobe beef is stunning if you like steaks. 

Very jealous, was there with the family for a couple of weeks last year. Would go back in a shot! 

Heart of Darkness
5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Sounds great. Make sure to get your bento box before you get on the bullet train. The Nozomi trains are the fastest and most comfortable and leave every fifteen minutes or so. Think it's about ninety quid or so to Kyoto. 

Would definitely head to Osaka for a wander around, it's only half an hour on the train from Kyoto. The whole area around the Dotonbori is tremendous fun, lots going on and great street food etc.

Kyoto a lot more traditional, lovely shrines etc and good fun laughing at all the idiots who've hired the whole get-up (it's a tourist tradition apparently, but looks ridiculous IMO!).

Food-wise, the small independent restaurants are usually the best ones for Ramen and the like, or the aforementioned street vendors for octopus balls, yakitori etc. Try and seek out a branch of Kura, the supposedly original conveyor belt sushi joint. And the corner shops (7-Eleven, Lawsons etc) have great hot snacks, sandwiches etc. And the Kobe beef is stunning if you like steaks. 

Very jealous, was there with the family for a couple of weeks last year. Would go back in a shot! 

Thanks Craig, I appreciate your help. Trying to get as much information as possible so it's easier for us when we arrive. 🫡

JFK-1
Posted (edited)

I would like to see the monkeys in the hot springs. Maybe join them for a bit if they're friendly. 😉

Edited by JFK-1

Jamboross

Second what TheBigO said about Pasmo. There's a few different branded travel cards, Pasmo & Suica being probably the two most common, but they're all essentially interchangeable and do the same job. Can use them on buses, trains, subways, vending machines, in convenience stores and various other places all across Japan. Saves a lot of faffing with the many weird and wonderful Japanese coins! Should be able to pick one up fairly easily at Haneda airport. 

I've been tentatively planning my next trip, just waiting on a good deal on flights, Yen is absolutely on the floor at the moment so it's a great time to visit! 

Craig_

Good point on the currency. We were shocked at how cheap things were. Can get a great meal for two with drinks for about twenty quid! 

Heart of Darkness
9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I would like to see the monkeys in the hot springs. Maybe join them for a bit if they're friendly. 😉

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Looks amazing 😍

Heart of Darkness
7 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Second what TheBigO said about Pasmo. There's a few different branded travel cards, Pasmo & Suica being probably the two most common, but they're all essentially interchangeable and do the same job. Can use them on buses, trains, subways, vending machines, in convenience stores and various other places all across Japan. Saves a lot of faffing with the many weird and wonderful Japanese coins! Should be able to pick one up fairly easily at Haneda airport. 

I've been tentatively planning my next trip, just waiting on a good deal on flights, Yen is absolutely on the floor at the moment so it's a great time to visit! 

Thanks Jamboross 👍🏻