Travel Money Card……anyone used one of these?

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

As per the title.

I’m looking at using a travel money card on holiday in Canada later this year, Sainsbury’s looks decent and fairly straightforward…….any advice anyone? (Including ones to avoid)

Is there any benefit over getting a Monzo or Starling type card? Only asking because as far as I know those money cards come at a cost.

Edited by graygo

Percival King
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

As per the title.

I’m looking at using a travel money card on holiday in Canada later this year, Sainsbury’s looks decent and fairly straightforward…….any advice anyone? (Including ones to avoid)

We've used the Sainsburys card a few times, most recently in Florida last year. Easy enough to set up in store (but allow half an hour) and absolutely no problem to use. Using it again this summer. Whatever you do, always make sure you have a back up card - cards can get nicked/swallowed or can be blocked by the bank/provider so best not to rely on just one card.

Revolut is the answer. 

I haven't taken local currency on holiday with me in years! Load it with pounds, spend it in whatever currency you like, just make sure they don't hit the GBP option on the card reader. It even works in ATMs so you can take some cash out if you really need it.  You don't need to worry about creating wallets for other currencies, just use the main one. 

Used it in Poland (PLN), Germany/Austria/Slovakia (EUR) , Hungary (HUF), Croatia (at the time, HRK), and very frequently across the border in Ireland. 

So easy and convenient. 

Revolut has actually replaced my Bank of Scotland card as my every day card. I stick my monthly "allowance" (i.e. how much I'm willing to spunk on beer and pizza) on it when I get paid, and use it for everything. 

It's so easy to use in every country, and I haven't even bothered with anything else since :thumbsup:

Still looking to see what the advantage one of these has over something like a Starling card which is what I use.

I only use it for holidays, can load instantly from my normal current account and back again if necessary, exchanges at the MasterCard rate which is as good as it gets, no fees whatsoever, has an app which controls everything, can add it to Apple or Google Pay, the card is free.

So why a pre-paid card, I accept I'm maybe missing something.

Edited by graygo

Stewie Griffin

How does it work with the exchange rate when you use the Revolut card in Spain for example ?

DarthVodka
21 hours ago, graygo said:

Still looking to see what the advantage one of these has over something like a Starling card which is what I use.

I only use it for holidays, can load instantly from my normal current account and back again if necessary, exchanges at the MasterCard rate which is as good as it gets, no fees whatsoever, has an app which controls everything, can add it to Apple or Google Pay, the card is free.

So why a pre-paid card, I accept I'm maybe missing something.

prepaid cards kinda predate the accounts with no fees for abroad. Plus their exchange rates are worse than the actual bank accounts, when you load them you get the dollar rate at that time, not when you spend.

I would stick with your Starling account 

2 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

prepaid cards kinda predate the accounts with no fees for abroad. Plus their exchange rates are worse than the actual bank accounts, when you load them you get the dollar rate at that time, not when you spend.

I would stick with your Starling account 

Thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for. I'm not missing anything then. 👍

Footballfirst
50 minutes ago, graygo said:

I have a Starling account too. Never had any issues using it, at least in Europe.

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I have a Starling account too. Never had any issues using it, at least in Europe.

No me neither and I love that it notifies me instantly how much the transaction has cost me in sterling.

stevie1874
3 hours ago, graygo said:

No me neither and I love that it notifies me instantly how much the transaction has cost me in sterling.

It’s pretty much the same as a Revolut card. 

DarthVodka
10 hours ago, graygo said:

Chase gives 1% cash back on purchases anywhere. They have capped it now though 

1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

Chase gives 1% cash back on purchases anywhere. They have capped it now though 

Yes, I considered moving to them earlier this year. Not sure why I didn't tbh.