Naismith/McAvoy/Forrest confirmed as management team - contracted to 2025 (title updated)

kingantti1874

Naismith, Cifuentes, Someone Else  

589 members have voted

1. 1. So who is your preference

• Steven Naismith
    • Marti Cifuentes
    • Someone else (name them)

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I agree. Of the only two candidates we think we know about  Naismith is the right gamble. But that is what it is. We had managers in mind but we could not come up with one we can even call a manager! Let alone an experienced winner.

Seemingly McKinlay and the two FOH directors were influential in belatedly sacking Robbie for which many thanks.

But the succession process has not impressed.

Good luck Naisy. Hope you don't need too much of it.

This is where I am at. I had hoped for Billy Reid but if Graham Potter has a job lined up I get why he was not available.

McKinlay and Savage just need to be a little more circumspect. McKinlay's chat at the beginning of this process was rhetoric he thought the fans wanted to hear and Savage's chat about Patterson and Ginnelly being "done deals" is unhelpful. It's almost like they believe nothing will ever emerge into the public domain. Time to back the manager and shut up.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Naisys Tackle

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Ricardo Quaresma

52 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Twitter has exploded with sheep and Hibs fans calling us a joke and tin pot :lol:

Can't wait until we scud the lot of them next season.

Complete diddies.

Two teams managed by Robson and the Gnome?

You have to admire their brass necks.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Reality is there wasn't many options that would be worth the punt. 

Aberdeen have taken the same path.

The Marti guy felt refreshing but pull off the lid and the number of jobs he's had and his win percentages is worse than Robbie.

Naismith could be a revelation, he could be a disaster. He's shown though in a short time against the leagues best teams, that is tactically astute and can motivate a group low on confidence.  Some smart signings this summer, and improvement on away form and we will have a very good season.

Definitely, Motherwell, Partick Thistle and St Johnstone did it too. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Two teams managed by Robson and the Gnome?

You have to admire their brass necks.

😆👍🏽👏🏾

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The pro licence may be a nonsense and a technicality but it is a basic technical requirement for a manager of a team competing in Europe as we will be in a couple of months. On the very limited knowledge of our options I have said I agree with the appointment of Naismith. But it does not smack of great succession planning.

Except that’s not what you said.

”He does not have the basic technical requirements to be a football manager”

He does. You’re at it.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Pointing out stupid examples isn't lashing out 🙃

He was a stuntman; that's the risk!

Still never hit a brick wall like neilson though

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The pro licence may be a nonsense and a technicality but it is a basic technical requirement for a manager of a team competing in Europe as we will be in a couple of months. On the very limited knowledge of our options I have said I agree with the appointment of Naismith. But it does not smack of great succession planning.

If this appointment doesn't work out it's going to come on top for the Board, that's a certainty. Hopefully Naismith has been given assurances about squad improvements as they're definitely required. 

Quite excited to see the type of player he looks to bring in. A few will know their time at the club is now up. Grant and Halliday will be amongst the first few to leave I'm quite sure. 

Bongo 1874
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That is the subjective part. The objective part is the actual results. Need to better 3rd and a Scottish Cup final.

Already has won trophies at Rangers,and played in prem,don't even try and compare Robbie to Naismith, because Naismith was a winner.

Played at the highest level.

And has shown more passion and fight, than Robbie ever did.

Hoping and praying he fails.

Bongo 1874

The points and goals scored aren't going to be massively improved. We actually scored a lot of goals this season under Neilson.

No Neilson was extremely boring.

And a WageThief.

12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

McAvoy has his. Steven will now be fast tracked for his. Not a problem 👌 

That is the subjective part. The objective part is the actual results. Need to better 3rd and a Scottish Cup final.

Neilson was well enough backed last summer to have navigated European participation and achieved 3rd spot again which would've started to put a gap between us and Hibs & Aberdeen. He failed spectacularly. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Twitter has exploded with sheep and Hibs fans calling us a joke and tin pot :lol:

Can't wait until we scud the lot of them next season.

Complete diddies.

No doubt starting from P & B, where a 'Hearts fan' started them off on their path; twitter is a school playground though, full of the sheep and wee team numpties on P & B

Agree; can't wait to put them in their place; they will be shitting it soon enough
🙂

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Just feels as if our management trio have a much better skill mix to them than previous bods. Time will tell but I’m very optimistic! 

Bongo 1874
Just now, Carter said:

Neilson was well enough backed last summer to have navigated European participation and achieved 3rd spot again which would've started to put a gap between us and Hibs & Aberdeen. He failed spectacularly. 

Nah he wasnae backed 🤣.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This definitely is a thing. And it’s a peculiar thing too. Why would they be like this?

the club should have published a helpline as part of the announcement for those neilson fans struggling with the trauma of losing neilson and their own embarrassment in being so infatuated with him

hopefully all will be recovered for the beginning of the season which isn’t far away to get right behind naisy and the team

😃🤞

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Already has won trophies at Rangers,and played in prem,don't even try and compare Robbie to Naismith, because Naismith was a winner.

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No Neilson was extremely boring.

And a WageThief.

The age old mistake of muddling up a playing career with a managerial career. Basic basic stuff. 

p.s.

IMG_5552.webp.bbe34da104992a6da9ec0d39dc4fca47.webp

innerjambo

Naismith could be the best thing since sliced bread Hi could also be a flop Every manager is an unknown, with previous successes counting for very iittle.

Time will tell, but please let's us give him the best support possible!!!

Cut The Crap
3 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

If this doesn’t work out and I hope it does then there should be a clear out on the board , who in my opinion have been very poor at the footballing side for the last 3 seasons, so let’s support the management team and keep our fingers and toes crossed 

They do seem to have a bit of a talent for making simple things unnecessarily complicated. 😃

I think we are entering into our 10th season of Budge. I have to say I expected better by now.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Carter said:

How much more money have we spent than Aberdeen and Hibs?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

yup although the old firm are minnows in European / world football when it comes to achievement on the park in the gold fish bowl of Scottish football with the high pressure to better each other requires a certain type of player and character

naisy’s rangers background and experience should prove to be a very positive attribute at our club ie a smaller minnow in the big picture but one who actually aspires to be a ‘big’ club in this backwater

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How much more money have we spent than Aberdeen and Hibs?

How did neilson blow an 11 point lead?

The transfer kitty was irrelevant at that point

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

McAvoy has his. Steven will now be fast tracked for his. Not a problem 👌 

Somebody above suggested it might take at least two years. It might not matter that much but it is true he is not technically qualified to be a manager. Hence I suppose his meaningless official title.

10 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Naismith could be the best thing since sliced bread Hi could also be a flop Every manager is an unknown, with previous successes counting for very iittle.

Time will tell, but please let's us give him the best support possible!!!

This

5 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Very predictable appointment which shows a massive lack of ambition, yet again, by a board who have a huge amount to prove given their ability to talk the talk.

That said Naismith has a tremendous hunger and desire about him, as we saw over the last couple of months. He manages in much the same way he played the game and he's always been one of those you'd rather be on your team than the opponents. Hopefully this will be the start of an excellent managerial career. When I think of someone like Davie Moyes and what he has gone on to do in the game, after a far less illustrious career than SN, then there are reasons to believe he can do "something really special at Hearts".

For that to happen he needs backing and regardless of the horrific financial shortfall caused by the failings of Neilson/Savage and the board, that backing needs to be significant. They are once again seeing the Hearts fans dig deep for ST renewals and it's evident now that the monthly FoH commitments are lifelong. So it's very much time they walked the walk. Put a team and squad together that will blow Aberdeen and Hibs away, no ifs, buts or maybes. The former are quite rightly laughing at us currently so let's see what McKinlay and Savage are all about and whether that has lit a fire. McKinlay needs at some point to address last season's failures too given his lengthy musings and statements in March. All very well being a skilled orator but he can't get away with saying that qualifying for the European groups "presents a challenge" only for us to fall short of that, as we certainly will, and for us then to hear radio silence. Some accountability is most definitely required.

Anyway, all the best to SN and his staff, he's now errr, Technical Director, of the greatest club on planet earth. 

Absolutely this!

McKinley & Savage aren't going to help us improve - very lucky to be anywhere near the posts they hold. They should drop down to their level at the Highland League with Levein.

30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

JJ flatly refused to take any coaching courses. 

Frankly I don't know why coaches have to take their badges. Feck that for a game of soldiers. Courses might be a good idea, learning from other pros and all that, but being forced to do them before you can manage a team? Daft idea. Nice earner for UEFA though, I imagine. Helps develop a nice clique too.

More managers like Will Still, I say. You've either got it or you don't.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/preston-lad-who-learned-trade-26154406

the posh bit
24 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Still never hit a brick wall like neilson though

Correct. He jumped 50 feet in the air and landed on his head. 

Neilson got a payout and landed on his feet. 😊

Give it up, you're having an utter nightmare on this thread. 

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

How did neilson blow an 11 point lead?

The transfer kitty was irrelevant at that point

How did Neilson create an 11 point lead?

Ricardo Quaresma
13 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Correct. He jumped 50 feet in the air and landed on his head. 

Neilson got a payout and landed on his feet. 😊

Give it up, you're having an utter nightmare on this thread. 

That's all in your head, pal; you've got nothing but your vivid imagination

Ricardo Quaresma
11 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How did Neilson create an 11 point lead?

Also irrelevant, unfortunately

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the club should have published a helpline as part of the announcement for those neilson fans struggling with the trauma of losing neilson and their own embarrassment in being so infatuated with him

hopefully all will be recovered for the beginning of the season which isn’t far away to get right behind naisy and the team

😃🤞

Budge could’ve fielded the calls, £5 a minute 😜

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Frankly I don't know why coaches have to take their badges. Feck that for a game of soldiers. Courses might be a good idea, learning from other pros and all that, but being forced to do them before you can manage a team? Daft idea. Nice earner for UEFA though, I imagine. Helps develop a nice clique too.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/preston-lad-who-learned-trade-26154406

Im actually all for them getting their badges, my nephew has them and it cost him a fortune but he met legends like Robbo and De Vries. 

Ricardo Quaresma
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They are a scam of sorts, but they are necessary to deal with the moon howlers, like those who hounded cathro

But cathro truly wasn't a manager; he's a good coach

Anyway, he's on the course and most of us wanted our cake and to eat it; we got it; not that much to ask is it?

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. I did not know that. So basically it is a bit of a closed shop. Who chooses the average of 10 a year entrants?

In a way yes, they don't set out exactly the selection criteria or who makes the final decision,  (and the 20 includes coaches from the Women's game). but they did comment on the calibre of applicants. 

This is the announcement from the SFA:

Scottish FA Coach Education Department welcomes new intake for UEFA Pro-Licence

20777161.jpg?mode=crop&width=820&height=305&anchor=top
Thursday 1 June 2023

The Scottish FA Coach Education Department are set to welcome the new crop of UEFA Pro Licence students, with the latest offering of the course beginning on Monday. 

More than 130 applications were received for this year's intake, with 20 candidates ultimately selected to take part in the prestigious designation

There will be six former Scotland internationals on the course, in the form of Christophe Berra, Chris Burke, Don Cowie, Leanne Crichton, Brian Kerr and Steven Whittaker.

St Johnstone manager Steven MacLean, Morton manager Dougie Imrie and Queen of the South manager Marvin Bartley are all notable inclusions who are currently working as managers in the SPFL. 

Among the others in the talented 20-strong field are Benfica assistant manager Jens Wissing, Brentford B boss Neil McFarlane and Motherwell Women manager Paul Brownlie.

The group will meet up on Monday, 5 June for the first time for a three-day event in Edinburgh, before flying out to Bucharest at the end of the month for the UEFA 2023 Under-21 European Championship to continue their learning. The two-year course will conclude in May, 2025. 

The UEFA Pro-Licence, which follows completion of the A-Licence, is the highest coaching certification available in Europe.

Scottish FA Head of Coach Education and Development Greig Paterson: "The selection process has proved testing once again due to the high calibre of applicant and we are thrilled with the quality of the candidates selected. 

"We are excited to get down to work with this group over the next two years as they continue their coaching journey with us. 

"It is fantastic to see so many of the new candidates already being given management opportunities within Scotland, while the fact we also have high-quality students from outside of the country is testament to the best-in-class offering available with the Scottish FA. 

"The candidates also come from different roles and backgrounds and we anticipate them challenging each other positivity over the course of the next two years."

The line-up in full: 

Brian Kerr, unattached
Chris Burke, Head of Coaching, Kilmarnock FC
Chris Doig, Assistant manager, Grimsby Town FC
Christophe Berra, unattached 
Colin Stewart, First Team Goalkeeping Coach, Rangers FC
Don Cowie, Assistant Manager, Ross County FC
Dougie Imrie, Manager, Morton FC
Gil Sousa, Technical Director, FC Baniyas
James Grady, Head Coach, Scotland Under-15s
Jens Wissing, Assistant Manager, SL Benfica 
Leanne Crichton, First Team Coach / Player, Motherwell Women FC
Marvin Bartley, Manager, Queen of the South FC 
Neil McFarlane, Under-23 Head Coach, Brentford FC
Owen Coyle (Jr), unattached
Paul Brownlie, Head Coach, Motherwell Women FC
Paul Nuijten, Head of Youth, Queen's Park FC
Richard Foster, Head of Coaching, Motherwell FC
Steven MacLean, Manager, St Johnstone FC
Steven Whittaker, Assistant Manager, Fleetwood Town FC
Stuart Glennie, Head Coach, Scotland Under-16s 

Scottish FA Coach Education Department welcomes new intake for UEFA Pro-Licence

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

They are a scam of sorts, but they are necessary to deal with the moon howlers, like those who hounded cathro

But cathro truly wasn't a manager; he's a good coach

Anyway, he's on the course and most of us wanted our cake and to eat it; we got it; not that much to ask is it?

I'm looking forward to it to be honest. Naisy has fire in his belly and I like to see that. I just hope he can keep that fire going. Most managers get tired after a while. That will be his measure, if he can keep on evolving, improving and learning, even, and perhaps especially, if things aren't going as well as he and we would like.

Good point on the distinction between coach and manager.

Naisys Tackle

As said before on this thread Naismith probably wouldn't have been my first choice but the past 2 hours of absolute Robbie rimmers hoping he fails because they backed the wrong donkey and can't admit they were wrong is utterly unreal.    The same ******s bullying people saying people concerned about the club actually wanted us to fail are now actively creaming themselves wanting Naismith (or whoever was appointed) and the club to fail to say how great Robbie was all along.  Same tubes say Levein and the SPFL wasn't the prime reason we got demoted while shamelessles ripping stendel for "relegation"   

Absolute spanners. 

Ricardo Quaresma
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm looking forward to it to be honest. Naisy has fire in his belly and I like to see that. I just hope he can keep that fire going. Most managers get tired after a while. That will be his measure, if he can keep on evolving, improving and learning, even, and perhaps especially, if things aren't going as well as he and we would like.

Good point on the distinction between coach and manager.

Well, the manager is also the technical director in every sense, regarding team on park; we've simply had to split these 2 roles apart because of politics

I don't get the animosity for Savage and McKinlay, but agree they're under the microscope and so is everyone here at Hearts

Also, Steven Naismith has shown that he's not daft, ever since he joined us; he's actually very astute indeed

I, like most Scottish football fans, did not appreciate him much before this point 😊

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Added more at the end

gorgierulesapply88
52 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Nah he wasnae backed 🤣.

Oh he was his recruitment was shit

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

As said before on this thread Naismith probably wouldn't have been my first choice but the past 2 hours of absolute Robbie rimmers hoping he fails because they backed the wrong donkey and can't admit they were wrong is utterly unreal.    The same ******s bullying people saying people concerned about the club actually wanted us to fail are now actively creaming themselves wanting Naismith (or whoever was appointed) and the club to fail to say how great Robbie was all along.  Same tubes say Levein and the SPFL wasn't the prime reason we got demoted while shamelessles ripping stendel for "relegation"   

Absolute spanners. 

Can you be someone who didn't like Robbie but also isn't enthused by this choice either? That's me. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Can you be someone who didn't like Robbie but also isn't enthused by this choice either? That's me. 

:rofl:

As long as you are open to persuasion by results, bud 👍

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Absolute spanners. 

Spot on 

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

As long as you are open to persuasion by results, bud 👍

Yeah for sure, I hope he does really well for us. 

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Thats me too but the arseholes are now making me more enthusiastic really. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Yeah for sure, I hope he does really well for us. 

We all should but there seems to be a few stragglers unwilling to get off the Bob train and jump on the Naisy bus, maybe theyd be better off on a tram 😜

AlphonseCapone

Regardless how this goes there are going to be some right insufferable pricks on here going on about how they were right all along 🙄

It is what it is for me and he gets my full backing.

jamboinglasgow

Reading the quotes from McKinlay and Savage on the official website, something I found interesting is how often when talking about the three of them that they mention either they are good at developing players or working with youngsters. Certainly reads that those three have been a strong remit that they need to bring through and develop youngsters to play and sell on (Joe Savage even talks about McAvoy having a history of bringing through young players who have been sold for millions.) They do mention that the aim now is for the three to be as successful as can be and about the qualifiers being an aim to get through next.

While a lot is generic praise, I think the make up of the squad is going to be interesting this season. As others say that 3 or 4 quality signings could be enough (unless certain players go) to make it a top squad. 

I do hope there is a press conference organised as I would be intrigued to hear the thoughts from Naismith and the other coaches as well as Joe and Andrew.

Ricardo Quaresma

Did someone mention robbie lovers 'refus ing to admit they were wrong'?

I spot a pattern....

Well done SN & the backroom team, right behind you for next season .......... cant wait 

Ricardo Quaresma

^^^^ *refusing

I'm sorry, I got it wrong

But I'm not going to blame Kickback, invision, autocorrect or thow my phone under a bus