Big Fat Fatty/Fat Fireman(merged)

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

The Grampian Fire Service are sacking a big fat fatty fireman and the unions are threatening to strike.

He shouldn't be in a job that depends on his ability to climb a ladder without (a) stopping halfway up to catch his breath or (B) buckling the ladder.

I have to say that I'd be worried if my place was on fire and they sent round a bloke like this who would, most likely, stop by the fridge before putting the fire out.

The unions 'claim he could have been moved' although they don't mention that it would require heavy industrial equipment to do so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7506909.stm

Walter Payton

The guy gets no sympathy from me (though I'm sure if it was a member of my family it would be different). If I turned up to work in no fit state to do the basic job requirements I'd expect disciplinary action as well- I'm sure he wasn't summarily invited into the office one day and fired, he'd surely have known that his level of fitness was causing management concern.

Why should he be "re-deployed" as well? Just because an employer sees you as a suitable candidate for a job, it doesn't mean they should be committed to employing you 20 years later when you clearly don't have the same level of commitment to them (if he did he'd have kept himself fit). Put it in another light- imagine applying for a job and being told "sorry, you're by far and away the best candidate for the position, but we've got to give it to somebody not as good because they couldn't do the job they already had". Pension the guy off if it was an unavoidable health issue that led to the weight gain, if not it's fair enough IMO to ask him to seek alternative employment.

Carl Spackler

Surely it's incumbent on a fireman to keep himself fit enough for the job?

He had surely been warned first?

Anyway, do you think we could threaten big Nads with the same?

I P Knightley
Surely it's incumbent on a fireman to keep himself fit enough for the job?

He had surely been warned first?

Anyway, do you think we could threaten big Nads with the same?

I can see a role for him at the Hearts.

Standing in the food queue in front of Nade.

Guest gorgie kev
The Grampian Fire Service are sacking a big fat fatty fireman and the unions are threatening to strike.

He shouldn't be in a job that depends on his ability to climb a ladder without (a) stopping halfway up to catch his breath or (B) buckling the ladder.

I have to say that I'd be worried if my place was on fire and they sent round a bloke like this who would, most likely, stop by the fridge before putting the fire out.

The unions 'claim he could have been moved' although they don't mention that it would require heavy industrial equipment to do so.

When i saw the thread title i thought another thread about about mixu:rolleyes:

It is possible for big fat fatties to climb up and down a ladder all day you know. I should know!!;)

doctor jambo

The problem is not just that he is fat- he is corpulent

Looks like he cannot even get the chin strap down on his helmet

I am pretty against all this PC nonsense about the fire service and police etc where they removed the fitness tests height restrictions etc

The guy cannot do his job

If he lost the weight he would have kept his job- not exactly rocket science is it?

I'd hate to be stuck in a burning building then have to carry the fireman down the ladder- especially him

Looks of him over his 20 years service he has put on average 1/2 stone per year

No sympathy from me either. You simply can't be that fat and a firefighter. More so than most other jobs it would seriously have an effect on your ability to perform the role. My father was a firefighter for 25 years...i know it was a physical job!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

What if he gets stuck in the doorway of a burning building?

They should fitness test them every year to stop the likes of that happening, either that or he should have had a warning (and a barring order from Greggs) years ago

I P Knightley
Could they not just have stuck him in an admin job?

Christ! Imagine how tubby he'd become if he had a job that just involved sitting down all day except for the odd trip to the kitchen for a tea with 5 sugars and a handful of chocolate digestives.

He wasn't recruited and trained to do an admin job. If he wants one, he could apply for one and I hope he'd be treated the same as all the other applicants.

Uberjambo What kind of buildings do you lean your ladder against? Are they:

(a) burning & occupied by folk who need a carry to safety;

(B) burning & about to be doused by the heavy, high-pressure hose which you're lugging over your shoulder or

© not burning?

Or...do you carry a ladder around looking for folk with upstairs kitchen window ledges on which they leave their freshly cooked pies in a Tom and Jerry style? :)

Christ! Imagine how tubby he'd become if he had a job that just involved sitting down all day except for the odd trip to the kitchen for a tea with 5 sugars and a handful of chocolate digestives.

He wasn't recruited and trained to do an admin job. If he wants one, he could apply for one and I hope he'd be treated the same as all the other applicants.

Uberjambo What kind of buildings do you lean your ladder against? Are they:

(a) burning & occupied by folk who need a carry to safety;

(B) burning & about to be doused by the heavy, high-pressure hose which you're lugging over your shoulder or

© not burning?

Or...do you carry a ladder around looking for folk with upstairs kitchen window ledges on which they leave their freshly cooked pies in a Tom and Jerry style? :)

The latter of course.:dribble:

I thought I had better check out his photo since I made comment. Jesus. I aint in that league, I hope.

I am a roofer btw, strong legs and arms but a bit cuddly.

Sack the fat git. Why do people not accept responsibility for their own actions these days? Its a bloody joke. Its HIS fault he's a fat waster therefore he should pay the price. Look at the bloody state of him and his helmet! Its like trying to fit a blow up mattress back in the bloody box after using it! The unions should tell him to **** off as well but seeing as how they're all a bunch of PC ***** who think everyone has the right to be employed no matter the state of them they'll fight his corner. Even tho he's wrong.

Rant over.

loveofthegame

Agree with the Brow- the guy deserves to be sacked. **** the PC world that we're living in. He's working in a very dangerous enviroment that clearly requires a level of fitness well above his. Being in that state of health not only puts him in danger every time he's called into action but also puts those who he is meant to be rescuing in more danger.

On a relevant sidenote i was once told that in order to join the police you have to pass a number of fitness tests then once you are in thats it- no more fitness testing throughout your career. If true what an absolute joke.

All those working for the emergency services should, imo, be subject to regular fitness testing and health checks. As i've said its our lives, not just theres, that they are meant to be looking after.

Dr. Bapswent

Calling for strike over the dismissal of an overweight 'Health and Safety' risk colleague.

What nonsense.

The guy is clearly well overweight and a danger to himself and others.

Yet his mates cover his fat back and threaten even more dangerous strike action over it.

jeez,

Surely their energies would be better spent encouraging him not to eat pies, to go for a run or do some star jumps.

Even the reporting Scotland piece on it showed him sitting reading the paper.

Get of your fat erse and go for a run, then you might get yor job back!

chester copperpot
Hahaha, I hadn't noticed that.

_44832713_kevin_ogilvie_226.jpg

What a lardy bugger.

What they haven't pictured is the fact that there's a straw running from the bottom of the chin strap (can you see it?)

That is making its way to one of those beer dispensing things which holds a can of budweiser on each of the sides of his helmet. Either Budweiser or gravy.

Fat Feck, pretty shocking that he's been allowed to get into that state, and thats coming from me.

Professor.Arturo

Agree with most thats been said.

Having said that, being 'podgy' does not mean unfit, what about the great martial artist Samo Hung?

SamoHung.jpg

whats the betting if the guy was a fat gay muslim he would,t have been turfed out.the fire service has been in recent years rather PC but totally agree with their actions on this guy.

I find it hard to believe that the unions have a leg to stand on here. Firefighters have to go through fitness tests on an annual basis to prove that they're still capable of doing the job - if he sat that test and failed, it's in his contract that he could be sacked if his fitness failed to improve.

I P Knightley
whats the betting if the guy was a fat gay muslim he would,t have been turfed out.the fire service has been in recent years rather PC but totally agree with their actions on this guy.

Be fair.

You'll notice from the photo that he's a ginge so they're not shying away from the minorities thing.

This reminds me of about 3 years ago at my old place of work - an 9 storey block. We had a fire call-out - false alarm as it happened - evacuated the building (about 300 folk) and waited for the men in the red lorries.

They arrived pretty pronto and jumped athletically out of their trucks - all but one who looked like this guy's slightly lighter brother. A colleague and I clocked the wee fat fatty and smirked at each other.

The guy in charge asked me about where the alarm was and what I thought was wrong. Looking at the fatso, I said "It's something on the 8th floor. We've switched off the lifts but you'll be able to climb the stairs, I'm sure."

Colleague and I laughed as his face fell and we followed them in to check the control panel which, obviously, revealed no such thing.

Sack the fat git. Why do people not accept responsibility for their own actions these days? Its a bloody joke. Its HIS fault he's a fat waster therefore he should pay the price. Look at the bloody state of him and his helmet! Its like trying to fit a blow up mattress back in the bloody box after using it! The unions should tell him to **** off as well but seeing as how they're all a bunch of PC ***** who think everyone has the right to be employed no matter the state of them they'll fight his corner. Even tho he's wrong.

Rant over.

:rofl::clap:

Totally agree :thumbs_up:

Archived