Edinburghs foundations creaking

david mcgee

david mcgee

Our reliance on the financial sector and tourism is about to bite our butts.

I spoke to a business man from one of the banks, he had just signed up to his banks rights issue.

He was buying ?30,000 worth of his banks shares at the issue price of ?2.00,( at that time they were ?2.60) he did not have the money to buy them.

He was borrowing that from the same bank, as soon as he recieved his new shares he was going to flog them, make 60p per share and pay off the loan.

Well he wont have recieved his shares yet and they are now worth ?1.50.

How many other people have been as stupid?

All these financial organisations are victims of there own greed and it would appear their staff share their ethos.

How much longer can they continue to employ as many people when there is no money available to borrow, the phones in their mortgage departments must be silent?

The building industry has collapsed, the influx of Poles has turned into an exodus, flats lie empty, nobody can afford to move.

The global economy is collapsing and Tourist numbers will be well down over the next few years, at exactly the same time Edinburgh council has invested in a tram system to bring all these extra tourists into Edinburgh.

The tram system is affecting business in Edinburgh right now. Even LRT is complaining they are not seeing the same ammount of passengers travelling into town, this at a time where car drivers are avoiding the City centre.

We may have a sparkling new tram system in a few years time but the only people on it will be heading to the dole office to pick up their giros.

coppercrutch

Doom-monger....;)

You are right though.

At a time when the banking sector and tourism are flying high it is great to be a City that relies on that.

However when those industries start to nosedive, the city that is reliant on them will also start to ...................

Not rocket science.

The other 'growth' factor in Edinburgh has been the size of Government and quasi-Government spending.

Given how quickly tax receipts are drying up, next few years are going to see a squeeze there too.:eek:

I heard that the Bank Of Scotland is to lay off 2000 workers in the next few weeks.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I heard that the Bank Of Scotland is to lay off 2000 workers in the next few weeks.

I presume that's across the UK. It's no great surprise really.

In Dunfermline, where I used to live, I always wondered why there was a Halifax branch and a Bank of Scotland branch. It made no sense.

If the capitalist economy relies on boom and bust then at the moment we are in a bust situation.

So, a public works project like the trams is actually very good as it will keep people employed, then as the cycle returns to boom we have a "sparkling new tram system" for the tourists to use!

Easy!

If the capitalist economy relies on boom and bust then at the moment we are in a bust situation.

So, a public works project like the trams is actually very good as it will keep people employed, then as the cycle returns to boom we have a "sparkling new tram system" for the tourists to use!

Easy!

I am afraid that there are no notes to fill the buried milk bottles, nor money to pay the people to bury them.

Brown has wasted so much money - which has led to ludicrous schemes like the tram line - that there is nothing left to offset the current slump. His time as the most disastrous Chancellor in modern memory is now being recognised.

I P Knightley
I am afraid that there are no notes to fill the buried milk bottles, nor money to pay the people to bury them.

Brown has wasted so much money - which has led to ludicrous schemes like the tram line - that there is nothing left to offset the current slump. His time as the most disastrous Chancellor in modern memory is now being recognised.

What a fine paragraph.

Broon, Broon, Broon! Oot, oot, oot!

What do we want?

Broon oot!

When do we want it?

Noo!

This thread has made me feel sad. :sad:

I'm going to look at weeteam.net to cheer myself up again. :)

This thread has made me feel sad. :sad:

I'm going to look at weeteam.net to cheer myself up again. :)

:rofl:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not true.

650 people in 18 months. The aim is to achieve this through further redeployment, voluntary severance and normal turnover. It is due to two departments merging.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My mate works for HBOS and has done for nearly 30 years

Every penny he had spare over this period he's bunged into the company share scheme.

Last year he was thinking about cashing in his shares as they were at ?11 odds (he has nearly six figures worth in number) but decided against it as he has 4 years till he wants to retire

Last week they were worth about ?2 odds

Needless to say the retirement plans are on hold

Our reliance on the financial sector and tourism is about to bite our butts.

Why? Our financial sector is not going to disappear and neither are the tourists.

I spoke to a business man from one of the banks, he had just signed up to his banks rights issue.

He was buying ?30,000 worth of his banks shares at the issue price of ?2.00,( at that time they were ?2.60) he did not have the money to buy them.

He was borrowing that from the same bank, as soon as he recieved his new shares he was going to flog them, make 60p per share and pay off the loan.

Well he wont have recieved his shares yet and they are now worth ?1.50.

How many other people have been as stupid?

All these financial organisations are victims of there own greed and it would appear their staff share their ethos.

One person's stupidity doesn't make every bank worker a gullible, greedy fool. Not sure what that anecdote has to do with reliance on the financial sector biting our butts?

How much longer can they continue to employ as many people when there is no money available to borrow, the phones in their mortgage departments must be silent?

Will they not be offering mortgages to existing customers then? My mortgage is up for renewal in October. Does this mean there will be no-one available to give me a new rate?

The building industry has collapsed, the influx of Poles has turned into an exodus, flats lie empty, nobody can afford to move.

If the Poles are leaving, isn't this a good thing in that it frees up the job market even more? Correct, moving is costly, however market forces (assuming they exist) must surely result in a lowering of house prices and a resumption of trade?

The global economy is collapsing and Tourist numbers will be well down over the next few years

Eh...source?

....at exactly the same time Edinburgh council has invested in a tram system to bring all these extra tourists into Edinburgh.

The tram system is affecting business in Edinburgh right now. Even LRT is complaining they are not seeing the same ammount of passengers travelling into town, this at a time where car drivers are avoiding the City centre.

We may have a sparkling new tram system in a few years time but the only people on it will be heading to the dole office to pick up their giros.

See my earlier comment re boom and bust and the possibility that by the time the trams are finished we are in a period of economic upturn.

coppercrutch
Our financial sector is not going to disappear and neither are the tourists.

No, but they are going to contract markedly. For a City that has so much reliance on both this will have huge negative effects.

No, but they are going to contract markedly. For a City that has so much reliance on both this will have huge negative effects.

There will be negative effects, but huge I doubt.

david mcgee
Edinburgh tourism is programmed to GROW by 50% over the next 7 years; not contract :confused:

Somebody has programmed it?

Oh well take back everything i said!

jambos are go!

Brown has wasted so much money - which has led to ludicrous schemes like the tram line - that there is nothing left to offset the current slump. His time as the most disastrous Chancellor in modern memory is now being recognised.[/

Funny how Browns opponents seem to believe the more the say he's rubbish the more folk will believe it. Forgetting as Andrew Marr put it 'were all substantially better off'. People seem to reflect on that when they get to the polling booth history suggests.

Carl Spackler

Fundamentally what has changed?

The price of oil has gone up which has knocked the price of everything else up. People feel like they have less money. They probably have.

At the same time the banks have lost a shed load of money from losses in the American "sub-prime" market collapse (ie lots of people who were only borderline capable of making payments on their mortgages defaulted and the banks lost money). The banks changed tack completely and tightended up their lending criteria. Now alot of people can't get mortgages that previously could and the housing market has slowed down severely.

As far as I can tell that's it though really. Everything else is a consequence of this.

I don't understand why the government doesn't correct the fuel cost situation at least at the pumps. They must be raking in a hugh amount of extra revenue from the increased oil price and could forego this.

I don't know about the banks but it would seem to me they have tightened the belt so much that they are affecting the larger economy. Abrupt changes help nobody.

The world will not stop turning though. There has been a very sharp change in the economy mainly because of the banks. That correction is now done. If everyone gets themselves into a downbeat state then the economy will only get worse. So Chin up!

coppercrutch
Edinburgh tourism is programmed to GROW by 50% over the next 7 years; not contract :confused:

Yeah sure.............................. ;)

the banks have lost a shed load of money from losses in the American "sub-prime" market collapse

No offense - but are there still people out there who actually believe this...:eek:

Carl Spackler
Yeah sure.............................. ;)

No offense - but are there still people out there who actually believe this...:eek:

So what was it that caused the banks to stop lending money to each other and to punters then?

coppercrutch
So what was it that caused the banks to stop lending money to each other and to punters then?

There is a straw - that is the US sub-prime market.

There is the camel - that is the UK housing market.

Work it out. :)

Houses in the UK cost too much - end of story.

Now how can I collect my $1,000,000 for summing up the situation so succinctly? I could have saved so many useless so called 'journalists' so much time and effort. ;)

The Old Tolbooth

Makes you wonder who will fill Vlads new hotel :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
Makes you wonder who will fill Vlads new hotel :rolleyes:

Hobos having a weekend away from their sad life...........;)

Carl Spackler
Houses in the UK cost too much - end of story

Rubbish. The market has only slowed down because the mortages have dried up not because the prices were too high.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Rubbish. The market has only slowed down because the mortages have dried up not because the prices were too high.

Indeed but the demand was "artificially" created by the plentiful availability of cheap credit. 100% mortgages were commonplace for first time buyers because of the availability of credit. Now that they've gone, the first time buyer market has dried up because people have been using personal debt to fund their spending and the bottom of the pyramid has disappeared as a consequence.

So now it needs people to save to obtain a mortgage but with the costs of everything spiralling, that isn't possible either.

Carl Spackler
Indeed but the demand was "artificially" created by the plentiful availability of cheap credit. 100% mortgages were commonplace for first time buyers because of the availability of credit. Now that they've gone, the first time buyer market has dried up because people have been using personal debt to fund their spending and the bottom of the pyramid has disappeared as a consequence.

So now it needs people to save to obtain a mortgage but with the costs of everything spiralling, that isn't possible either.

I agree. The banks pulled the rug from under the economies feet. The correction was abrupt and has made the situation worse.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I agree. The banks pulled the rug from under the economies feet. The correction was abrupt and has made the situation worse.

Perhaps, but they had no option. They were playing Pass the Parcel with primed Semtex which was fine when no one knew it was Semtex. When they found out it was, the game was a bogey.

coppercrutch

Please have a think about this !! Please read up about it.....:rolleyes:

Mortgages HAVE NOT DRIED UP !!!

If you are wanting to borrow 3.5 times your salary, and have a 10% deposit you can pick and choose your mortgage. Up until 5-7 years ago this would have been plenty for the average person to buy the average house. Mortgage lending HAS JUST GONE BACK TO NORMAL. The last 5 years were abnormal.

I really despair sometimes..

Carl Spackler
Please have a think about this !! Please read up about it.....:rolleyes:

Mortgages HAVE NOT DRIED UP !!!

If you are wanting to borrow 3.5 times your salary, and have a 10% deposit you can pick and choose your mortgage. Up until 5-7 years ago this would have been plenty for the average person to buy the average house. Mortgage lending HAS JUST GONE BACK TO NORMAL. The last 5 years were abnormal.

I really despair sometimes..

I know this fine well. I have a larger mortgage agreed with the bank at the moment, I haven't got a problem (yet). The MORTGAGES HAVE DRIED UP (since we like to despair and use capital letters) for a large number of the first time buyers who would to buy my flat currently on the market.

coppercrutch
The MORTGAGES HAVE DRIED UP (since we like to despair and use capital letters) for a large number of the first time buyers

No they haven't, they are still there. However what they are willing to lend and under what circumstances is what has changed. Reasonable multiple of salary and decent deposit is now required, as it should be.

So either one of the following will happen:

(A) House prices come down to a level where sensible 3.5 times mortgages will cover them

(B) Banks decide to go back to lending silly money to people that cant actually afford it.

Chances of (B) happening is slim to none.

So that just leaves Option (A)....

The days of 125% mortgages and 8 times lending are gone for at least 5 years, probably more. If you are trying to sell your place price it a good bit under what everyone else is going for. You will sell it. Otherwise you will end up chasing the market down with the rest of them.

Carl Spackler
No they haven't, they are still there. However what they are willing to lend and under what circumstances is what has changed. Reasonable multiple of salary and decent deposit is now required, as it should be.

So either one of the following will happen:

(A) House prices come down to a level where sensible 3.5 times mortgages will cover them

(B) Banks decide to go back to lending silly money to people that cant actually afford it.

Chances of (B) happening is slim to none.

So that just leaves Option (A)....

The days of 125% mortgages and 8 times lending are gone for at least 5 years, probably more. If you are trying to sell your place price it a good bit under what everyone else is going for. You will sell it. Otherwise you will end up chasing the market down with the rest of them.

Do you actually read other people's posts before responding? I have never asserted that the mortgages have COMPLETELY dried up but they have dried up sufficently to be the source of the market's problems. A point of view which you would now appear to agree with.

coppercrutch
Do you actually read other people's posts before responding? I have never asserted that the mortgages have COMPLETELY dried up but they have dried up sufficently to be the source of the market's problems. A point of view which you would now appear to agree with.

The markets only problem is that prices are too high. ;)

I wouldn't call mortgages getting back to normal levels 'drying up' - would you ?

Anyway we agree on the main part. I just think you need to realise that all this talk of 'the markets getting back to normal' is just vested interest spin.

They are back to normal. That is the 'problem'. Now we just need house prices to get back to 'normal' and hey presto - everything is....well..........normal again. ;)

• 7 months later...

Can we get Coppercrutch back? Used to love reading his apocalyptic views! Surely whatever he did couldn't have been that bad?!

Can we get Coppercrutch back? Used to love reading his apocalyptic views! Surely whatever he did couldn't have been that bad?!

Sir Fred Goodwins hair looks suspiciously ginger.

It couldnt be......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

......................................................................could it?

Sir Fred Goodwins hair looks suspiciously ginger.

It couldnt be......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

......................................................................could it?

OMG! OMG! That's like totally, mental! This site really is where it's at, isn't it? :shaun:

Geoff Kilpatrick
OMG! OMG! That's like totally, mental! This site really is where it's at, isn't it? :shaun:

To be fair, I think his first three words would be "told you so".

I thought it would be bad, but not as bad as it is transpiring. There is more to come over the next couple of years.

With regards to the tourism, there was a big worry here in NZ that many of the businesses that rely on tourism would find it hard. As the summer now slowly comes to an end, many of these businesses have found a new customer, basically NZers. Where as in the past they would have gone to Aussie for a holiday, the locals are staying at home and enjoying their country.

Archived