All aboard the Naisy train - poll!!

Ricardo Quaresma

Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?  

1,085 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?

12 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Posted before mate.   The deal seems done regardless.

Naismith for me is blind faith to the extreme.

it’s not blind faith since we know him as a player, as a person, as a sub team coach and have trialled him in the position.

May not be the outcome you hoped for but it’s not wholly blind faith.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Ricardo Quaresma

• kingantti1874

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

I think it's a sensible move, no candidates within Scotland, any one out with Scotland is going to be a big risk with our playing budget.  People point to Ange coming in, blokes been given 30 odd mill to build something.

Naismith knows the league, knows the team already, has in a short time been thrown into the toughest fixtures he will face domestically and come through relatively unscathed.  A good transfer window and we have a high chance of being best of the rest again.

This is a fair comment, particularly when considering how utterly low the team were following that dismal run. It would have been interesting to see our performances and results against the lower teams in the league too - guess we got a flavour against RC at home.

Bongo 1874
15 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Posted before mate.   The deal seems done regardless.

Naismith for me is blind faith to the extreme.

Feel his time will come as manager, would rather have him as assistant to Stendel.

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

it’s not blind faith since we know him as a player, as a person, as a sub team coach and have trialled him in the position.

May not be the outcome you hoped for but it’s not wholly blind faith.

Hes done not a lot to show he should be the manager of our club really.  For me thats blind faith based on him as a player and a person. 

Back him regardless tbh.  But hoped for better.

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Feel his time will come as manager, would rather have him as assistant to Stendel.

He could become a really good manager.  We shouldnt be the audition though.

Jambo in Bathgate
28 minutes ago, stirlo said:

There will always be those who take a different perspective, but if the poll at the start of this thread is even vaguely representative of the feeling among Hearts fans, it suggests a strong majority in favour of appointing Naismith. 

Some people are talking about this as a lazy or 'unimaginative' appointment - but I honestly think if we didn't appoint Naismith we could end up with a real feeling of 'what if?'. As I've posted a few times now, based on the last few weeks I just have a feeling that Naismith has the potential to be a very good football manager.

He explained why he took Toby out of team after Rangers game. Telling him would be on the bench for Hibs game. His discussion with Toby had the desired effect. Having to come on and play in defence when we went down to 10 men and played his part. That’s good man management. 

the posh bit
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yippee, another season in the Championship on the horizon, 😁

Bongo 1874
Just now, the posh bit said:

Cmon mate he would easily finish 3rd with current squad,and most likely win a cup too 😉

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

He's also managed player's like Moore,Pinnock, etc that are currently in prem.

jamboinglasgow

I am mostly happy with that (still have a lingering doubt but overall happy to see him have a go.)

Certainly we looked more attacking, at least at home. Away needs to improve, but I think a pre-season on working on the players will make a difference. Looking back at his 7 games in charge, I think one thing that has been underrated is the fight in the team. We have got draws late away to St Mirren and Rangers, plus the game at the weekend was one which required the team to knuckle down to fight. Obviously the issue Naismith needs to solve is the mistakes which has meant we have had to fight back.

The players do look to have responded well and quite a few seem to have stepped up since he took over.

He has spoken well and its been very interesting. His talk today about changing the mentality among the players is pleasing. But at the moment its just words, and I have heard too many managers speak well but not deliver what they talk about. So will be fascinating to see how he will follow through with that.

The talk of youngsters is pleasing, but no academy player has played in his 7 games (I know there is reasons with this) so again I hope its not words from manager saying what others and the board want to hear but not deliver.

From the article it sounds like Frankie McAvoy will go back to being head of the academy so I think who he brings in as an experienced assistant will be crucial.

It is a gamble of an appointment, an inexperienced manager and in the last 10 years we have mixed results with that. Cathro was a disaster but Robbie in 2014 was a massive success. But I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Leveins not coming back nor covid.  We are safe of that.

Hearts1975
8 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Hes done not a lot to show he should be the manager of our club really.  For me thats blind faith based on him as a player and a person. 

Back him regardless tbh.  But hoped for better.

Mate .. totally respect your opinion on this one. I get some folk think there are better options out there 

For me, there has been one key thing missing over the last number of years and it's mentality. That mentality to live your life to beat everyone before you. Now it's not always going to happen but if the mentality is set, and driven from the top it can be oh so powerful. Naisy is a born winner and just hates losing. That mentality coming from a manager when driven can be the major difference 

Just look at the recent sheep doc with fergie. Throughout that documentary he just set about changing the teams mentality and look what happened. That's pretty much all he focussed on 

Remember burley.  Burley's team talk before the game. He would name all the players in the opposition side and write a big block capitals SHITE next to their names. Regardless of who it was. 

I'm not saying Naisy is fergie, nor is he burley, but If you read the below link he is going to address the mentality as a priority. Something (imo) that we haven't done properly and for a good number of years 

We keep saying that we are a big club, and we are a big club. Behind the OF we have everything in place to leave the rest behind. The players have to believe and carry this forward though. Mentality from the stands helps but games are won and lost on the pitch hence it's the players mentality that need to change and I'm sure under Naisy, although he can't tick the experienced manager box, that it will change 

I hope he gets it as I really and truly believe he is going to turn out a good manager 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-naismith-sick-hearts-hard-30103818

Hearts1975
4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Very lazy appointment if true.

If you think the next appointment is going to be a lazy appointment or by saying that, inferring that the board will take an "easy" option, I would politely suggest to you that they probably would have just stuck with Robbie until the end of the season .... If that was their overall intent 

Hearts1975
20 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am mostly happy with that (still have a lingering doubt but overall happy to see him have a go.)

Certainly we looked more attacking, at least at home. Away needs to improve, but I think a pre-season on working on the players will make a difference. Looking back at his 7 games in charge, I think one thing that has been underrated is the fight in the team. We have got draws late away to St Mirren and Rangers, plus the game at the weekend was one which required the team to knuckle down to fight. Obviously the issue Naismith needs to solve is the mistakes which has meant we have had to fight back.

The players do look to have responded well and quite a few seem to have stepped up since he took over.

He has spoken well and its been very interesting. His talk today about changing the mentality among the players is pleasing. But at the moment its just words, and I have heard too many managers speak well but not deliver what they talk about. So will be fascinating to see how he will follow through with that.

The talk of youngsters is pleasing, but no academy player has played in his 7 games (I know there is reasons with this) so again I hope its not words from manager saying what others and the board want to hear but not deliver.

From the article it sounds like Frankie McAvoy will go back to being head of the academy so I think who he brings in as an experienced assistant will be crucial.

It is a gamble of an appointment, an inexperienced manager and in the last 10 years we have mixed results with that. Cathro was a disaster but Robbie in 2014 was a massive success. But I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Got a feeling it will be GF. That's where I would hope that GF goes back to coaching, and Naisy gets an experienced assistant beside him. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

If you think the next appointment is going to be a lazy appointment or by saying that, inferring that the board will take an "easy" option, I would politely suggest to you that they probably would have just stuck with Robbie until the end of the season .... If that was their overall intent 

Personally, I think it's a lazy accusation born of general frustration, but I also get it. If he's appointed though, I hope people put that aside and don't hold a mental grudge, ready to put the boot in.

I, for one, welcome our new doe eyed overlord, but his derby record's pish and it needs sorted. There's my balanced view!

Boab Mugabe

Feel we need an experienced manager and not someone who is going to be learning on the job.

I doubt our board even looked at any of the CVs that were sent in.

Naisys Tackle
26 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Mate .. totally respect your opinion on this one. I get some folk think there are better options out there 

For me, there has been one key thing missing over the last number of years and it's mentality. That mentality to live your life to beat everyone before you. Now it's not always going to happen but if the mentality is set, and driven from the top it can be oh so powerful. Naisy is a born winner and just hates losing. That mentality coming from a manager when driven can be the major difference 

Just look at the recent sheep doc with fergie. Throughout that documentary he just set about changing the teams mentality and look what happened. That's pretty much all he focussed on 

Remember burley.  Burley's team talk before the game. He would name all the players in the opposition side and write a big block capitals SHITE next to their names. Regardless of who it was. 

I'm not saying Naisy is fergie, nor is he burley, but If you read the below link he is going to address the mentality as a priority. Something (imo) that we haven't done properly and for a good number of years 

We keep saying that we are a big club, and we are a big club. Behind the OF we have everything in place to leave the rest behind. The players have to believe and carry this forward though. Mentality from the stands helps but games are won and lost on the pitch hence it's the players mentality that need to change and I'm sure under Naisy, although he can't tick the experienced manager box, that it will change 

I hope he gets it as I really and truly believe he is going to turn out a good manager 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-naismith-sick-hearts-hard-30103818

Excellent post tbf and completely hope you are correct mate :) 

Arthur Morgan

I was undecided but after thinking about it I would rather we go for a more experienced manager tbh. Looks like Naismith it getting it though so obviously I'll support him and hope he proves me wrong. 

Jambo in Bathgate
6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I was undecided but after thinking about it I would rather we go for a more experienced manager tbh. Looks like Naismith it getting it though so obviously I'll support him and hope he proves me wrong. 

Experienced managers don’t guarantee success. See Leeds United or Dundee United. What Naismith has had during his playing career is a winning mentality. His after match press conference have been good in explaining his thoughts on match and players. His decision to move Snodgrass on was good for team moral.  His thoughts on players attitude at away matches was absolutely correct something that has been the downfall of Hearts over the years. He basically says we should go away expecting to win but have to turn up and fight. We won’t win every game but I’m sure his preferred style of play will pick us up more points. Let’s get behind him and move forward

Jambo in Bathgate
19 minutes ago, Boab Mugabe said:

Feel we need an experienced manager and not someone who is going to be learning on the job.

I doubt our board even looked at any of the CVs that were sent in.

CV’s are sent in to every club but these will be from out of work managers as those in jobs will have to have the ok from their club boards.

I feel like the longer this goes on it will be Naisy.

He's not my choice but would be willing to give him a shot next season, providing he is backed financially and we get the recruitment right over the summer, 2 year deal at best though and if we are not within 3 points of 3rd by xmas then he should be let go imo.

Edited by gregzy2k7

No Idle Talk

Two wins out of seven. That's the bottom line and it is legitimate cause for concern. There have been positives too of course. 

I feel like we are taking a real gamble here. It could work out well or it could go spectacularly wrong. 

Hackney Hearts
29 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Two wins out of seven. That's the bottom line and it is legitimate cause for concern.  

You can only really judge him on six. And in 50% of those we had red cards (2 of which were wrong). It's a complicated bottom line. The main cause for concern IMO was the performance at St Mirren (not the fight shown to come back) - but hopefully we can work on that.

As you rightly say, it's a gamble and could go either way. But then that's true of any appointment we could make at our managerial level.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If it is Naismith, so be it, but it feels that the board have taken the easy option. Perhaps that is because we expect a reduction in revenue from not getting automatic group stage football.

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Who would you be realistically hiring (or trying to) if you were Savage?

Another for me would be Enzo Maresca. 

Hearts1975
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Personally, I think it's a lazy accusation born of general frustration, but I also get it. If he's appointed though, I hope people put that aside and don't hold a mental grudge, ready to put the boot in.

I, for one, welcome our new doe eyed overlord, but his derby record's pish and it needs sorted. There's my balanced view!

100%. He needs to be given a chance. You have to look behind the results sometimes but some find that almost impossible to deal with. 

Succinct view and to the point. Nowt wrong with that. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

No, three then back to Neilson.  Only three in between two Neilson spells.  I thought you had it wrong. 😂😂

Sound, I meant we had only had 4 managers since admin then back to the first one. Can see how you thought that though, it wasn’t too clear. 

merseyjambo

Like others have said, there will be doubts about it but I’ve seen enough in last 7 games that something can be built upon next season. As SN has said, there will be bumps along the road but having watched guys like Walter Smith, David Moyes and Steve Clarke, I’m almost certain one of the things he will install in the players is a mental toughness and positive mindset. The other thing I’m certain of is that the players will be back on double and treble sessions to improve their fitness for next season. Moyes worked the ar$e of players and their fitness. He also had to contend with playing teams much better than him and was able to get results because his players ran through a brick wall for him.

I’m hoping that youngsters will look at this appointment and say I want to go there as I think he will definitely give them a chance to shine.

Edited by merseyjambo

BackOfTheNet

When Neilson got sacked if you told me Naismith would be given it, I would say that was an uninspiring safety first choice with little ambition. But I’ll be very honest in that Naismith - in a very short time against the toughest opponents he could face (County aside) I might add - has won me over.

Still a lot to prove, but his mentality approach to games, the uplift in some players, punting players with big personalities for the benefit of the team, the obvious shift from what was being played before etc tell me he’s worth a shot. Naismith at least has possibility and potential, so is an exciting prospect. In that regard I’m much happier with him than if it was a McInnes, Robinson etc.

I also genuinely think he’s the type to walk before pushed if things started to go badly. So we give him a chance, and if it doesn’t work out, then we do what most teams do and get another manager. (Like half the teams did in the Premiership this season) It is a bit of an experiment, which I’m not overly fond of. But until he gives me reason to doubt his potential, I’m happy enough to see what he can do here.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

A bit disappointed in the board but will get 100% behind Naismith now. Hope he achieves what he has talked about and we see a Hearts team with a proper shape and a winning mentality.

39 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

When Neilson got sacked if you told me Naismith would be given it, I would say that was an uninspiring safety first choice with little ambition. But I’ll be very honest in that Naismith - in a very short time against the toughest opponents he could face (County aside) I might add - has won me over.

Still a lot to prove, but his mentality approach to games, the uplift in some players, punting players with big personalities for the benefit of the team, the obvious shift from what was being played before etc tell me he’s worth a shot. Naismith at least has possibility and potential, so is an exciting prospect. In that regard I’m much happier with him than if it was a McInnes, Robinson etc.

I also genuinely think he’s the type to walk before pushed if things started to go badly. So we give him a chance, and if it doesn’t work out, then we do what most teams do and get another manager. (Like half the teams did in the Premiership this season) It is a bit of an experiment, which I’m not overly fond of. But until he gives me reason to doubt his potential, I’m happy enough to see what he can do here.

Agree with all of that except the safety first bit. I think it's quite a risky choice but do think, mainly for the reasons you've went on to mention, that it is well worth the risk.

BackOfTheNet
Just now, GinRummy said:

Agree with all of that except the safety first bit. I think it's quite a risky choice but do think, mainly for the reasons you've went on to mention, that it is well worth the risk.

Definitely risky in that he’s an unknown quantity still when it comes to management. And uber safe would be the usual suspects that float around Scottish football, where Naismith has a risk element.

I meant more safe in the sense of the club is sticking with what they know rather than a left field appointment or bringing someone from outside Scottish football. Which was my preference before, mainly because I don’t want any manager or team giving a rats ass who Rangers or Celtic are, but in his two games against the OF Naismith has shown he’s not going to adopt the usual approach against them. So in that regard he’s won me over too.

44 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Good post. Just one for the it’s gamble crowd, every appointment would be a gamble since you have no clue how things will work out. We’ve seen the type of football he plays so imo that is one risk removed. We’ve seen his reading of the game and honest opinions in his interviews, again he carries himself well. We’ve seen how he deals with players, the uplift in performances and those not performing.  He may well be a cheaper option and a gamble but from those things it doesn’t mean he isn’t the correct option. I’m optimistic he’ll do well based on what I’ve seen. 

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Definitely risky in that he’s an unknown quantity still when it comes to management. And uber safe would be the usual suspects that float around Scottish football, where Naismith has a risk element.

I meant more safe in the sense of the club is sticking with what they know rather than a left field appointment or bringing someone from outside Scottish football. Which was my preference before, mainly because I don’t want any manager or team giving a rats ass who Rangers or Celtic are, but in his two games against the OF Naismith has shown he’s not going to adopt the usual approach against them. So in that regard he’s won me over too.

Got you. I think there are more than enough plus points to give him the job. Hope it gets confirmed and I'm already excited to see what he can do.

Glad that has been settled early and incoming and outgoing players can  now take priority and we can now get on with it, there's a lot to be done. All the best Steven.

BackOfTheNet
38 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Good post. Just one for the it’s gamble crowd, every appointment would be a gamble since you have no clue how things will work out. We’ve seen the type of football he plays so imo that is one risk removed. We’ve seen his reading of the game and honest opinions in his interviews, again he carries himself well. We’ve seen how he deals with players, the uplift in performances and those not performing.  He may well be a cheaper option and a gamble but from those things it doesn’t mean he isn’t the correct option. I’m optimistic he’ll do well based on what I’ve seen. 

:spoton:

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Got you. I think there are more than enough plus points to give him the job. Hope it gets confirmed and I'm already excited to see what he can do.

Same. Hopefully does really well. Wonder if he’ll use connections to get players in. Not sure he knows anyone at Everton still, but maybe if Moyes stays at West Ham if they’ve got any decent players on the books.

46 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Honest opinions like ‘third place isn’t the be all and end all’? 

See you all in eight/nine months when this past season will look glorious by comparison.

Just now, SM8 said:

See you all in eight/nine months when this past season will look glorious by comparison.

Well we didn’t finish 3rd and here we all are alive and well. Context is everything buddy and if you are going to hang to every word then you’re in for a constant pretty angry state of mind. 

Any way good luck in your next job Robbie. 👍

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, SM8 said:

Trying to take a shit on it before it's even began

:bolt:

Very happy with this if its done. He will do well. He's dragged the team out the gutter after the mess left by neilson and got the players confidence and bite back. All this with a team of players he didn't recruit. 

Confident he will have a list of what he needs to improve the squad going forward. Add in his attack minded winning mentality and that is exactly what we need at the club. 

No other manager on the list was any less of a risk than someone that's been in and around the squad like naismith has. It's down to savage to get the right deals done for players he highlights he needs in areas to improve us. 

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, SM8 said:

No we won’t be seeing you I’d guess.  

Going to be great looking back at these threads.  Almost as much fun as the Shankland thread with half the board telling us he won’t cut it and would struggle to get more than six. 🤣

Edited by kingantti1874

7 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It’s weird isn’t it. I get he may not be everyone’s choice but why look forward to something so negatively ? Can only assume it’s kids who can’t really control their emotions probably yet and are chucking toys out the pram. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

It’s weird isn’t it. I get he may not be everyone’s choice but why look forward to something so negatively ? Can only assume it’s kids who can’t really control their emotions probably yet and are chucking toys out the pram. 

Not even confirmed yet; if I didn't approve I'd still not post anything like that; I'd still want him [Naismith] to smash it

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I agree we’ve heard far too much talk and seen little action from the club this season with little action, I do think Naismith has backed his chat up however. What I’ve liked with him his he talks about simplifying the game, mentality of the players and building something that the fans want to see. 

We've definitely seen the mentality and style change and posted some good results. He’s acknowledged the problems and tried to fix them, he’s also spoke about our ridiculous away form. 

To put this a different way, had a new manager been appointed when Neilson left and produced the results Naismith has would anyone be questioning his appointment? I think most of us would be excited by the improvements and looking forward to next season.

23 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Well we didn’t finish 3rd and here we all are alive and well. Context is everything buddy and if you are going to hang to every word then you’re in for a constant pretty angry state of mind. 

Any way good luck in your next job Robbie. 👍

I’m not hanging on every word, I just think those words particularly were ridiculous from him, and clashed with the line of our CEO.

I really hope Naismith is a success and yes I’ve enjoyed some games under him which was an improvement from his predecessor but equally I really thought McKinlay and Savage had more about them than yet another internal appointment at this club. 

Go for it 1308
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Are you seriously judging his Derby record as pish? His first one was after 5 days in charge....his second one we played 70 mins with 10 men. Ffs get a grip 

27 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Thanks for using a picture of the last time our managerial vacancy was filled internally to illustrate the perils we are in now.

(Okay, it’s not that bad)

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

...We’ve seen the type of football he plays so imo that is one risk removed...

Very astute observation, very logical; cut, jib, etc...

8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

...To put this a different way, had a new manager been appointed when Neilson left and produced the results Naismith has would anyone be questioning his appointment? I think most of us would be excited by the improvements and looking forward to next season.

A viewpoint, as yet, not put forward; very good point

• davemclaren locked this topic