Decent Hearts signings

carjam

Have seen plenty threads on here about crap Hearts signings, what about some of the decent players brought in. In no particular order, John Colquhoun, Craig Levein, Colin Cameron, Mike Galloway, Alex MacDonald to name a few. Please add to this , i'm sure there are more!.:)

Charlie-Brown

in fairly recent times pressley, webster, hartley, fyssas, jankauskas, velicka were all acquired with only webster costing a ?70k transfer fee.

colinmaroon

Just for Lynn

Drew Busby

During the Vlad era we've had Rudi, Bednar, Fyssas and Laryea (when he can be arsed). We've had one or two more who THREATENED to be good but just turned out to be wage robbers!

During the Jefferies/Levein era there were a few that haven't been mentioned so far...Weir, Pressley, Webster, Stephane Adam, Stevie Fulton.

Going back 20 years:-Derek Ferguson, Robbo back, Peas 'n Gravy (McPherson), Neil Berry (anyone who saw 85/86 - 87/88 knows Chuck was a great signing).

To be honest there are loads but one signing sticks out above all others as a Jefferies master stroke...

...step forward...

...Mr ANDY THORN.;)

boy_in_maroon

BUSBY, CRUICKSHANK, COLQUHOUN, McDONALD ALEX, MAHE,

and for the fun of it WILLIE JOHNSTONE, loved that goal against celtic

:);)

Darren Jackson,think was his first game at tannadice when micky just came back from injury an we horsed them 3-0

I'm going to have to say Glynn Snoddin for his goal against Slavia Prague at Tynie when we gubbed them 4-2 in the Uefa. Years ago but by far my earliest memory of being a Jambo

I'm going to have to say Glynn Snoddin for his goal against Slavia Prague at Tynie when we gubbed them 4-2 in the Uefa. Years ago but by far my earliest memory of being a Jambo

Possibly my earliest memory of watching Hearts as well. Thrown out of a Gorgie Road End window before being miraculously caught as part of the celebrations.

When I eventually made my way back into the living room I sat down next to my StepDad and watched BBC News tell us Hibs had been emptied by Anderlecht. Great night.

Drylaw Hearts
Peter van de Ven

Jim Bett

Stephane Mahe

Alan Maybury

He would be in my worst Hearts XI.

Niemi, Flogel and Cameron are the three that spring to mind as being stand outs from "recent" times.

Brian "Roger" Whittaker. One of the calmest footballers I have ever seen and cleanest striker of a ball. Sadly missed.

Marmeladent?rtchen
Darren Jackson,think was his first game at tannadice when micky just came back from injury an we horsed them 3-0

I remember that game, was it not 3-1 and we were one down after a few minutes. I listen to it on the raido and was about turn off after they scored. I stuck with with the game and it became the best game I listen too on the raido. Micky came on and got the 3rd and I jumped out my chair.

Uncle Bobby B

Stephan Piey when he wasnt buzzing off his t.i.t.s on crack...coming to think of it, that never happened!!!!

Clerry Jambo

Rudi Rudi in recent times.

This guy's goals and assists got us 2nd in table and brought the Cup back to Gorgie..........can't really do much better than that me thinks:rolleyes:

Levein is my hero, sheer class but I must also mention wee Mickey Cameron who was one of the best midfielders I have seen in Scottish fitba never mind Hearts.

Benny Factor
I remember that game, was it not 3-1 and we were one down after a few minutes. I listen to it on the raido and was about turn off after they scored. I stuck with with the game and it became the best game I listen too on the raido. Micky came on and got the 3rd and I jumped out my chair.

I remember that game well. T'was the first game we'd won in 4 months, and i had a go straight from Dundee to my nightshift in Livi... no celebrations for me that night.

Paisley Jambo

Too many from the Alex Macdonald era. There was a man who could spot a player and put a team together.:)

JJ also did quite well until he got carried away with SMG money.

From present times Paul Hartley a favourite as he was ex-Hobo and he had a real hatred of them.:)

Just a pity he ended up where he has.

Robert Tomaschek. Never fully appreciated. Great player.

He cost six hundred grand of borrowed money, never lived up to the hype and was not very good.

So how could he be a 'best signing'? Surely that is all about value for money.

If it is about value for money perhaps Craig Gordon's re-signing stands out. But best of all has to be

Stevie Fulton for David Hagen. The best/worst swap in the history of football.

shaun.lawson
He cost six hundred grand of borrowed money, never lived up to the hype and was not very good.

So how could he be a 'best signing'? Surely that is all about value for money.

If it is about value for money perhaps Craig Gordon's re-signing stands out. But best of all has to be

Stevie Fulton for David Hagen. The best/worst swap in the history of football.

Hang on - JJ's share of the SMG cash came from the money already converted to shares, did it not? So Tomaschek wasn't bought with borrowed money at all, was along with Niemi, the main reason we charged back up the league and into Europe, came into his own in 2000/1, and was then ruined by injury at Parkhead. He remains, to many others' bemusement, one of my favourite ever Jambos.

And my favourite signings would be:

Niemi

Flogel

Cameron

Bruno

Rousset

McCann

Jackson

Pressley

Skacel

Tomaschek

Hang on - JJ's share of the SMG cash came from the money already converted to shares, did it not? So Tomaschek wasn't bought with borrowed money at all, was along with Niemi, the main reason we charged back up the league and into Europe, came into his own in 2000/1, and was then ruined by injury at Parkhead. He remains, to many others' bemusement, one of my favourite ever Jambos.

And my favourite signings would be:

Niemi

Flogel

Cameron

Bruno

Rousset

McCann

Jackson

Pressley

Skacel

Tomaschek

Totally disagree with the point in bold.

And yes I am bemused that anyone would say he is a favourite player. He couldn't control the ball!

shaun.lawson
Totally disagree with the point in bold.

And yes I am bemused that anyone would say he is a favourite player. He couldn't control the ball!

In the first half of that season, we had an incredibly soft centre, and blew lead after lead (notably a two-goal one at Rugby Park in late November). At times, we played some really nice stuff, but it was far too ambitious for the hurlyburly of the SPL (something you're clearly aware of, having read some of your posts elsewhere today).

Then, we signed Niemi and Tomaschek. In the second half of the season, we kept a huge number of clean sheets, and while being pretty dull to watch, had a steel which enabled individuals like Jackson or Cameron to strut their stuff. Without this steel, we'd have got nowhere: hence my assertion that these two players made the difference.

In the first half of that season, we had an incredibly soft centre, and blew lead after lead (notably a two-goal one at Rugby Park in late November). At times, we played some really nice stuff, but it was far too ambitious for the hurlyburly of the SPL (something you're clearly aware of, having read some of your posts elsewhere today).

Then, we signed Niemi and Tomaschek. In the second half of the season, we kept a huge number of clean sheets, and while being pretty dull to watch, had a steel which enabled individuals like Jackson or Cameron to strut their stuff. Without this steel, we'd have got nowhere: hence my assertion that these two players made the difference.

This was the season that Mickey came back into the side after his injury? That was the one where Jackson signed half way through and he and Mickey turned it around almost by themselves?

shaun.lawson
This was the season that Mickey came back into the side after his injury? That was the one where Jackson signed half way through and he and Mickey turned it around almost by themselves?

Nope - that was the previous season, when we escaped relegation. JJ spent the SMG money in December 1999, and after leaking 28 goals in our first 18 games, we went on to concede just 12 in the second eighteen, complete with Niemi and Tomaschek.

Nelly Terraces

Jimmy Bone, Willie Johnstone, Sandy Jardine, Sandy Clarke, Roddie McDonald.

Best years ever to be a Hearts fan in recent(ish) times. The old boys did the bizzo for us.

Nope - that was the previous season, when we escaped relegation. JJ spent the SMG money in December 1999, and after leaking 28 goals in our first 18 games, we went on to concede just 12 in the second eighteen, complete with Niemi and Tomaschek.

Fair play, got it wrong. But ...

I don't remember Tomaschek ever having a good game for us. He scored one good goal though.

shaun.lawson
Fair play, got it wrong. But ...

I don't remember Tomaschek ever having a good game for us. He scored one good goal though.

He certainly did! And don't get me wrong: I'm totally aware of how much he divided opinion. Were you at Parkhead in February 2000? I thought he was brilliant that day: in fact, all four of the SMG signings were, even Simpson and Petric!

He certainly did! And don't get me wrong: I'm totally aware of how much he divided opinion. Were you at Parkhead in February 2000? I thought he was brilliant that day: in fact, all four of the SMG signings were, even Simpson and Petric!

Not that I remember.

I do appreciate holding midfielders. Loved watching Brellier. It is such a technical position. But I thought Tomaschek is a candidate for the biggest flop signing rather than best signing. He didn't do anything well in my opinion.

Jimmy Bone, Willie Johnstone, Sandy Jardine, Sandy Clarke, Roddie McDonald.

Best years ever to be a Hearts fan in recent(ish) times. The old boys did the bizzo for us.

Totally agree, Nelly. There were a few other decent signings around then although they used to get some stick which at times i could'nae work oot, Kenny Black(always gave 100 0/0) Ian Jardine, George Cowie.... Happy Days:)

Craig Levein for me, I think we paid 4 pounds fifty and a bottle of iron brew for him. Admittedly career blighted by injury, but what a great player he was for us.

Niemi was a fantastic signing too, got years of fantastic performances and a huge profit.

JC. What a deal.

Dirk Diggler
Totally agree, Nelly. There were a few other decent signings around then although they used to get some stick which at times i could'nae work oot, Kenny Black(always gave 100 0/0) Ian Jardine, George Cowie.... Happy Days:)

Out of interest, don't you have a % on your keyboard?

:)

Archived