Travel money card

Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin

Looking for a bit of advice on which is the best pre paid travel card to use. In previous years we’ve always just taken euros for spending on holiday however last year I noticed a lot of places were happy to accept card payment. So this year I’m planning on taking some cash but want to take the rest on a pre paid card but don’t know which one is best. 

magic roundabout

Maybe look at wise they have an excellent exchange rate. Card accepted everywhere etc 

I use them to transfer money abroad and never had an issue

https://wise.com/

5 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

Maybe look at wise they have an excellent exchange rate. Card accepted everywhere etc 

I use them to transfer money abroad and never had an issue

https://wise.com/

I was going to post exactly the above.  I've been using Wise for about 4 years now, and I'd recommend it.  Excellent exchange rate, very quick and seamless transfers of money from my bank account into Wise, instant conversions from one currency to another, and a contactless card that's accepted everywhere.  Also useful for multiple currencies, not just GBP and EUR.

We use a Virgin Money credit abroad now, take very little cash. No transaction fees plus the exchange has always worked out very good when paying in local currency. 

I use Revolut. Not sure if they still do it, but if you refer a friend and they sign up you get £30 (maybe £40 now?).

periodictabledancer

What happens to the unused funds - I used one , once. The cost of cashing in unused dollars was extortion. I just use my Chase debit card now - there's no fees for foreign transactions. 

hughesie27

Revolut too. On the app it shows you which ATM machines will work for withdrawing cash.

Important thing to remember when using card abroad is they will ask you if you want to pay in local currency or £. Always choose the local currency.

Edited by hughesie27

Footballfirst

I have a Starling account that I use when abroad. Never had any issues using the card. Excellent exchange rate and instant notification of each transaction both in sterling and the foreign currency.

hmfc_liam06
48 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Revolut too. On the app it shows you which ATM machines will work for withdrawing cash.

Important thing to remember when using card abroad is they will ask you if you want to pay in local currency or £. Always choose the local currency.

I just exchanged a bunch on cash on the app and any purchase I made it automatically took it from the $ portion rather than the £ portion.

I've just opened a Chase account as they have great rates when spending abroad. 

I think i get 1% back on all spend for the first year as well. 

17 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I've just opened a Chase account as they have great rates when spending abroad. 

I think i get 1% back on all spend for the first year as well. 

That was their opening offer and they've extended it another year. Got the feeling they'll just keep extending it.

4 hours ago, Dazo said:

We use a Virgin Money credit abroad now, take very little cash. No transaction fees plus the exchange has always worked out very good when paying in local currency. 

Excellent. Just signed up for a Virgin card.

I use a Halifax Clarity credit card, no transaction fees etc. pretty decent.

highlandjambo3

I just chuck my bank card into a cash machine when abroad….let the bank know where and when I’m going, never had a problem…..even worked in the back of beyond in India.

3 hours ago, cheetah said:

I use a Halifax Clarity credit card, no transaction fees etc. pretty decent.

Or currency conversion fees, good shout, currently getting €1.15 to the £ in the pishing rain in Murcia, Spain...👍

stevie1874
6 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Used to use Revolut, now use Monzo.

Revolut for me, any reason you changed? 

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Or currency conversion fees, good shout, currently getting €1.15 to the £ in the pishing rain in Murcia, Spain...👍

Plenty of good restaurants to keep you occupied in Murcia.

I've used a Caxton card for years. Although it's around 1.12 so I should maybe look elsewhere.

Hagar the Horrible

I use the post office one abroad. Multiple currency and can move your money between. In Oz there is card only food fayre and it solves how much to tip. If the service is bad then your not shamed for giving f all. Don't take cash out with them. Use your own card better deal.