Tobacco (prices)

Vlad Magic

Vlad Magic

Ashamed smoker here however this isn’t about the wrongs of which there are many. This is about the costs and economics of being a smoker.

Picked up some Amber leaf pouches from a couple of overseas trips. A frequent overseas traveler friend also picked me up some whilst on business.

So I’m comfortably sitting on 20 50g pouches of Amber Leaf.

Total cost to me €200 or approx £190. All legit and no rules broken.

Cost in the UK if bought by the pouch £660. A pouch lasts me a week.

Now the really interesting bit. If I smoked pre rolled like I used to I would get through 30 a day or a packet and a half. Marlboro lights currently £13.75 a packet.

£13.75 x 1.5 = £21 or near enough.

21 x 7 = 167

So buying abroad and smoking roll ups rather than pre-rolled is…..

€10 a week opposed to £167 a week.

Even more interesting.

My 20 pouches will last 20 weeks.

In 20 weeks on pre rolled Marlboro Lights = £3340

So by buying abroad (legitimately) and smoking rollys I will save myself over £3140 compared to UK pre rolled.

Rather random and distasteful thread given how disgusting the habit is however any smokers out there I hope you can find a friend out there to bring some rolling tobacco home and you will save yourselves a fortune!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack D and coke

• Morgan

• il Duce McTarkin

• doctor jambo

SectionDJambo

My opinion of smoking is that if smoking had never been invented, up to now, and a Walter Raleigh character came back from an expedition into previously unknown territory with supplies of tobacco, and then showed us what to do with them, he would be  laughed at.

Having said that, many young people have enthusiastically taken to vaping which is, to my mind, astonishing.

It doesn’t affect me as a non smoker. I’m content with the extreme contribution that smokers make to the treasury’s coffers. I just wish that all of that taxation was ploughed into the NHS. What a difference that would make. More than the red bus slogan promised?

Doctor FinnBarr

Tell me about it, normally smoke Gold Leaf now at about £28.50 for 50g but was in Brussels last weekend to watch the famous RWD Molenbeek clinch the 2nd Division title and 50g of Golden Virginia is getting punted at about £14.50!

When another poster I'll not name got me it before lockdown I was paying £5, its a NATO thing.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Fag prices are utterly ridiculous.

Doesn't affect me as I don't smoke however...

I was in a shop I was delivering to last year waiting for the owner to sign my sheet so I cold piss off to next drop..

In front of me (he was a particularly arsey person of an owner, instead of signing my sheet he would serve customers with" banter". Prick) was an elderly lady, mid 70's I'd say, who was paying her gas etc.. With every transaction (gas, electricity etc) she would say, "oh its terrible how do they expect us to live" etc etc.. 

After paying for her essentials she then asked for 100 Regal King size and didn't even blink at having to pay nearly £50 for them. 

Moan like **** about price of trying to keep warm etc but gleefully throw your money away on fags. 

I am seriously considering giving up on the human race. (I'm 99% there to be honest.)

skinnybob72

Smoking is a reasonable alternative to saving for a pension, nothing more, nothing less.

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Smoking is a reasonable alternative to saving for a pension, nothing more, nothing less.

This is a thread about tobacco prices, stop trolling.

30 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Tell me about it, normally smoke Gold Leaf now at about £28.50 for 50g but was in Brussels last weekend to watch the famous RWD Molenbeek clinch the 2nd Division title and 50g of Golden Virginia is getting punted at about £14.50!

When another poster I'll not name got me it before lockdown I was paying £5, its a NATO thing.

It was always gold leaf I smoked. Been off the smokes for a week now. I usually find the first couple of months easy, then when I'm pissed I usually let my guard down.

Anyway, with the price so dear its no wonder the black market is thriving. I can quite often get a 2 ounce pouch of golden virgin for a tenner, but it's from Spain. They don't seem to have the same quality control as in the UK, so it's like smoking hedge trimmings. Don't mind using it for a joint, my other main weakness when I'm off the fags, but I struggle with it for a fag.

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, superjack said:

It was always gold leaf I smoked. Been off the smokes for a week now. I usually find the first couple of months easy, then when I'm pissed I usually let my guard down.

Anyway, with the price so dear its no wonder the black market is thriving. I can quite often get a 2 ounce pouch of golden virgin for a tenner, but it's from Spain. They don't seem to have the same quality control as in the UK, so it's like smoking hedge trimmings. Don't mind using it for a joint, my other main weakness when I'm off the fags, but I struggle with it for a fag.

Never is the same quality from abroad but quality control for GV is in Nottingham I think.

And I can guarantee that tenner packet has came from North Africa via Spain.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

So a packet of decent cigarettes is near £14 now? How the hell can people afford that? That about £100 a week if you’re on 20 a day. There are guys that work in the office block next to where I work that always seem to be on smoke breaks. So they must be on more than that. I sure as hell couldn’t spunk £400 a month on something non necessary 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

My opinion of smoking is that if smoking had never been invented, up to now, and a Walter Raleigh character came back from an expedition into previously unknown territory with supplies of tobacco, and then showed us what to do with them, he would be  laughed at.

Having said that, many young people have enthusiastically taken to vaping which is, to my mind, astonishing.

It doesn’t affect me as a non smoker. I’m content with the extreme contribution that smokers make to the treasury’s coffers. I just wish that all of that taxation was ploughed into the NHS. What a difference that would make. More than the red bus slogan promised?

Off topic so apologies OP but... Electronic vapes were invented by the tobacco companies (or at least they own patents etc..) so vaping still fills their coffers.. 

Touted as a healthy alternative to smoking when in reality its actually equally, if not more, bad for you. 

On topic..

My wifes mum smoked probably up to 100 a day. 

She would light a fag from a fag. 

Now she had 13 children but as my wife (last of the 13) says , we may have had a pigs head in a pot making soup or had to nibble on an actual pigs trotter to eat but her ma always had fags and went to bingo. 

People will always prioritise that which they feel they need. (however bizaar to outsiders..)

6 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Off topic so apologies OP but... Electronic vapes were invented by the tobacco companies (or at least they own patents etc..) so vaping still fills their coffers.. 

Touted as a healthy alternative to smoking when in reality its actually equally, if not more, bad for you. 

I tried going down the vape route about 5 years ago but I had to go back on the fags. 

I was still playing fives amd coping OK while smoking. When I started vaping instead, I found my chest would go too tight and I'd struggle for breath after about 5 or 10 mminutes.once I went back to the fags I was fine. Don't worry, I know I would ha e been even better if I never stopped.

I'm not sure where I read it, but some doctor was saying, at least when it was just fags, the doctors at least knew what was causing the problems. As vaping was knew, there are a lot of unknowns.

I have a friend and she seriously struggles to stay off the fags. She has managed to be smoke free for the last five years, but she has been on nicotine patches the whole time. Yes it's expensive (for her, not the NHS as she has never sought to get them on prescription). I know this would cost the NHS a fortune, for a short to medium period of time,  but in the long term, would this strategy save the NHS money and save a lot of lives?

Doctor FinnBarr
31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So a packet of decent cigarettes is near £14 now? How the hell can people afford that? That about £100 a week if you’re on 20 a day. There are guys that work in the office block next to where I work that always seem to be on smoke breaks. So they must be on more than that. I sure as hell couldn’t spunk £400 a month on something non necessary 

Me and Mrs S both smoke rollies, most likely about £60 a week. Daughter has flown the nest and we both work full time so why not do something (addictive) we both enjoy?

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

I tried going down the vape route about 5 years ago but I had to go back on the fags. 

I was still playing fives amd coping OK while smoking. When I started vaping instead, I found my chest would go too tight and I'd struggle for breath after about 5 or 10 mminutes.once I went back to the fags I was fine. Don't worry, I know I would ha e been even better if I never stopped.

I'm not sure where I read it, but some doctor was saying, at least when it was just fags, the doctors at least knew what was causing the problems. As vaping was knew, there are a lot of unknowns.

I have a friend and she seriously struggles to stay off the fags. She has managed to be smoke free for the last five years, but she has been on nicotine patches the whole time. Yes it's expensive (for her, not the NHS as she has never sought to get them on prescription). I know this would cost the NHS a fortune, for a short to medium period of time,  but in the long term, would this strategy save the NHS money and save a lot of lives?

I'm massively anti smoking. hate it. 

but, vaping is just as bad but its being touted as a way to quit or be a healthier smoker.. by the media (controlled through advertisements by the tobacco companies)

its an absolute crock of bollox. 

tobacco causes cancer. we know. (my sister in law has just today been told there are shadows on her lungs and most likely it's lung cancer. shes smoked since about aged 12. in her 60's now.) 

but vapes.. as those doctors said, vaping is an unknown quantity.. or is it? look at the ingrediants in vapes and ask (scientists) are they shit for humans? yes? dont ****ing do it then. 

but we know thats not how big business works. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, superjack said:

My daughter (21 at the time) was told she was better going back on the fags than vaping, she had nodules removed from her lungs  that they reckoned was caused by vapes.

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Ashamed smoker here however this isn’t about the wrongs of which there are many. This is about the costs and economics of being a smoker.

Picked up some Amber leaf pouches from a couple of overseas trips. A frequent overseas traveler friend also picked me up some whilst on business.

So I’m comfortably sitting on 20 50g pouches of Amber Leaf.

Total cost to me €200 or approx £190. All legit and no rules broken.

Cost in the UK if bought by the pouch £660. A pouch lasts me a week.

Now the really interesting bit. If I smoked pre rolled like I used to I would get through 30 a day or a packet and a half. Marlboro lights currently £13.75 a packet.

£13.75 x 1.5 = £21 or near enough.

21 x 7 = 167

So buying abroad and smoking roll ups rather than pre-rolled is…..

€10 a week opposed to £167 a week.

Even more interesting.

My 20 pouches will last 20 weeks.

In 20 weeks on pre rolled Marlboro Lights = £3340

So by buying abroad (legitimately) and smoking rollys I will save myself over £3140 compared to UK pre rolled.

Rather random and distasteful thread given how disgusting the habit is however any smokers out there I hope you can find a friend out there to bring some rolling tobacco home and you will save yourselves a fortune!

Unusual logic there: A bit like if I was to tell you about the absolute fortune I'd saved buying a VW instead of a Maserati. You don't smoke Marlboro so you've only really saved £470. 😁

Whatever, it's still beter in your pocket mate.

23 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Me and Mrs S both smoke rollies, most likely about £60 a week. Daughter has flown the nest and we both work full time so why not do something (addictive) we both enjoy?

Carry on if you enjoy it. I wasn’t judging any bodies habit I was commenting on how people can afford to smoke cigarettes and not roll ups. 

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Carry on if you enjoy it. I wasn’t judging any bodies habit I was commenting on how people can afford to smoke cigarettes and not roll ups. 

on a tobacco (rollie) thread? 

17 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I’m really not sure why you’re getting offended by my post. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

The thread is about their price. I'm equally astonished that folk can afford to spend money on tobacco when it's hard enough to pay for a food shop. 

The increasingly restrictive price of fags is one of the main factors which led to me giving up years ago, which is one of the best things I’ve ever done. Disgusting habit. Absolutely no issues with taxes continuing to rise.

John Findlay

Non-smoker here.

Surely the price of a pack of Twenty,

Is a huge incentive of its own to give up smoking?

7 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

This is a thread about tobacco prices, stop trolling.

Not trolling, just an observation that is extremely difficult to counter, IMO! If sentences like Bob's persuade a few smokers to see the light (not the 3rd) and give up then it's progress...:thumb:

I've just shoved it under my Son's nose, smoker, usually a gobby wee shite...not today, I won't give up!

Jingle Bells

Pre Covid, each winter, used to come back from the Algarve with a couple of suitcases full of cigs and a spare pair of underpants.

32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Out of interest I had a quick google about vaping v smoking. There is no suggestion vaping is worse than smoking and zero evidence that suggest that; quite the opposite in fact. 

Albeit vaping is not risk free. 

**** even cancer web sites are saying vaping is healthier than smoking for a variety of reasons. Mainly they don’t contain the carcinogenic cigarettes and tobacco do.🤷🏻‍♂️

Vaping seems the less damaging of the option by some distance.  

Not that either is recommended 😂

When I found that vaping felt worse on my lungs than smoking, I do know which is actually worse for me long term. Maybe it was because I was using the vape more often than I was smoking (except when I'm on the piss, I smoke around 10 roll ups a day).

Or maybe it was just my lungs adapting to not having untipped roll ups. Anyway, I'm almost a week off them now, without a vape. I use a nicorette quick mist.

indianajones

Worked in a shop in the early 2000s. I'm sure a 10 deck was around 3 quid? 

They should just ban it in all honesty. Profiting on addiction through taxes. Wonder when it will get banned. Haven't New Zealand done this? 

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Well because it will damaging your health massively and costing you a fortune (even if duty free you need to earn 4k to fund your smoking) Never mind the other negatives that it had with it such as undue pressure on NHS and generally being a smelly. 

Smoke if you want that your business, however, let’s not pretend there are not severe consequences to smoking for the individual. 

Who told her that? As I guarantee it was not a ducking doctor. A medical professional removes nodules from the lungs and advises your daughter to go ‘back on the fags’ 😂😂😂

Only smoker I now know is my mother in law. Every holiday involves us having to get her hundreds of fags for her. Find it strange that we actually purchase them for her. Especially as the father in law can’t smoke for health reasons and been told he has another one he will be risking killing himself.

Yet we buy her hundred of cancer sticks that in reality are reducing her time on this earth. Maybe that’s why we buy them🤔

He’s not had a fag in a few hours makes them crabbit. Plus addicts hate having delusions broken 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The new mantra for smokers seems to be, well it’s not as bad as vaping. Fair enough, however, that doesn’t stop it being exceptionally damaging and anti social. 

On cost I would actually tax it even more to increase the price. Probably do similar to vapes to be honest. A pretty destructive habit for individuals and society in general. 

And I can 100% guarrantee you it was a doc. She was told they know the dangers of smoking and how to deal with it, they don't yet know the dangers of vaping.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Out of interest I had a quick google about vaping v smoking. There is no suggestion vaping is worse than smoking and zero evidence that suggest that; quite the opposite in fact. 

Albeit vaping is not risk free. 

**** even cancer web sites are saying vaping is healthier than smoking for a variety of reasons. Mainly they don’t contain the carcinogenic cigarettes and tobacco do.🤷🏻‍♂️

Vaping seems the less damaging of the option by some distance.  

Not that either is recommended 😂

A wee vape of the exotic tobacco to accompany a nice dinner and a few coldies after scudding the cod-heids is approaching the high water mark of human endeavor imo.

doctor jambo

It’s about time food was treated the same- take away food that is.

Lump massive tax on it to fund the NHS which is being swamped with all the fatties.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, moogsy said:

The increasingly restrictive price of fags is one of the main factors which led to me giving up years ago, which is one of the best things I’ve ever done. Disgusting habit. Absolutely no issues with taxes continuing to rise.

Pubs smoke free is brilliant.

Folk going out in the pishing rain for a fag.:rofl:

10 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

On topic..

My wifes mum smoked probably up to 100 a day. 

She would light a fag from a fag. 

Now she had 13 children but as my wife (last of the 13) says , we may have had a pigs head in a pot making soup or had to nibble on an actual pigs trotter to eat but her ma always had fags and went to bingo. 

People will always prioritise that which they feel they need. (however bizaar to outsiders..)

This is just pure nonsense. For your “conspiracy” to be true, it would involve thousands of doctors and scientists as well as numerous charities, media outlets etc. 

I can guarantee you that your doctor would much prefer you vaped than smoked. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Lump massive tax on it to fund the NHS which is being swamped with all the fatties.

:greatpost:

Shooter McGavin
7 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

This is just pure nonsense. For your “conspiracy” to be true, it would involve thousands of doctors and scientists as well as numerous charities, media outlets etc. 

I personally find the whole vape or smoking argument a bit daft.

Why not try fresh air?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Why not try heroin?

:interehjrling:

Agreed.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Same downunder. It's a huge 'hiding-in-plain-sight' problem. It's one thing an adult becoming morbidly obese, but I'm noticing more and more younger folk going the same way. Within walking distance of my home there's a Hungry Jacks (burgers), a McDonalds, a KFC, a Marcellina (pizza), a Pizza Express, a Dominos (pizza) plus multiple Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian joints. All in a strip of road not more than 1 km long. Scary thing is, when I go to work in the morning (just after 6.00am), there's queues of cars waiting to be served at the big franchise burger and pizza places!
But, back to baccy. The few people I know who still smoke (2) don't buy 'retail' tobacco. They buy 'chop-chop' in bulk (1 kilo), then divvy it up with friends. I believe the going rate is about AUS$300 a kilo, about half the retail price of legit tobacco. As growing tobacco in Australia is illegal (more than a decade) the stuff is all dark-imported from S.E. Asia.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

By healthy I meant better alternative to help quitting. 

Interesting link here regarding ownership of vaping brands... https://www.gosmokefree.co.uk/latest-news/who-owns-all-the-vaping-brands-infographic/

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

By healthy I meant better alternative to help quitting. 

Interesting link here regarding ownership of vaping brands... https://www.gosmokefree.co.uk/latest-news/who-owns-all-the-vaping-brands-infographic/

You said vaping is worse than smoking and that tobacco companies invented the e-cigarette. That “Reddit style” link does nothing to prove either of your arguments.

Your link also speaks as if it’s somewhat secret information that Philip Morris acquired a stake in JUUL or that the tobacco companies can’t see which way the wind is blowing. Either way, your initial statement was conspiracy fuelled nonsense 

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Why not try fresh air?

Everyone has a vice I suppose. Why not try water?

The Real Maroonblood
51 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Smokers should just jump off the bridge. It's quicker and doesn't smell as bad.

:lol:

been here before

Some of the huge clouds of shite the ignorant vapering ***** bellow out expecting you to walk through can almost make you nostalgic for a simple small puff of fag smoke.

54 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Smokers should just jump off the bridge. It's quicker and doesn't smell as bad.

Non-smoker here, but you really are a charmer, Herbs.  👍

30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Non-smoker here, but you really are a charmer, Herbs.  👍

Stinking of shit, Black teeth, Yellow fingers and a slow painful death. Sign me up.

7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

There's absolutely no way you're a doctor.

Theres a lot of denial and bullshit on this thread. The NHS is actually recommending vaping as a cessation device so I find it hard to believe that a doctor told someone to start smoking again.., 😭

Edited by BudgeUp

doctor jambo
37 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

There's absolutely no way you're a doctor.

Theres a lot of denial and bullshit on this thread. The NHS is actually recommending vaping as a cessation device so I find it hard to believe that a doctor told someone to start smoking again.., 😭

What are you on about?

I never said that?!

I vape myself to get off the tabs.

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

What are you on about?

I never said that?!

I vape myself to get off the tabs.

Sorry. I was making two statements.

Your terminology for people with morbid obesity is what I'm precluding you from the medical profession for. 

doctor jambo
20 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Sorry. I was making two statements.

Your terminology for people with morbid obesity is what I'm precluding you from the medical profession for. 

Fatties?

You think that’s harsh ?

Sorry, I’ll use whales or lard buckets in future

crunchy frog

Its over 15 quid for 20 regal filter now, and they're just 2 draws and a burnt lip