• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

Not there yet. Scotland can lose final game v Netherlands and still qualify. Someone will calculate score permutations. 

Zimbabwe are out. 

Malinga the Swinga

Not sure I'll cope with Netherlands game. Nerves in shreds already. I'll settle for a rain storm and game being abandoned with not a ball bowled

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

More than one person (all from India or Pakistan) saying much the same. Hopefully get this confirmed. 

Edited by Mikey1874

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not there yet. Scotland can lose final game v Netherlands and still qualify. Someone will calculate score permutations. 

Zimbabwe are out. 

Don't take this as gospel, just trying to figure out but trying to get a feel for how close it would need to be

Say
Scotland bat first and score 250
Ned would need to chase it down in about 44 overs

Ned bat first and score 250
Scotland would need to score about 220

I could be way off just a calculation

Just now, RobboM said:

Don't take this as gospel, just trying to figure out but trying to get a feel for how close it would need to be

Say
Scotland bat first and score 250
Ned would need to chase it down in about 44 overs

Ned bat first and score 250
Scotland would need to score about 220

I could be way off just a calculation

Yes, that's it.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

More than one person (all from India or Pakistan) saying much the same. Hopefully get this confirmed. 

****ers beat me to it 😂

Lots of praise from cricket fans all over the world. Scotland praised for their consistency.

Just the Sri Lanka bowling attack were  too good. 

Malinga the Swinga

Last 2 world cups have seen Zimbabwe win or tie all games till they need a win from last 2 games.

Both times they've blown it.

Scotland's bowling so strong with Sole producing pace we haven't had before. Mccullum is swinging it about and Leask/Watt spinning well.

One bowler short of real quality attack but Sharif managed that wicket today.

Netherlands strength is batting so real contest on Thursday.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Last 2 world cups have seen Zimbabwe win or tie all games till they need a win from last 2 games.

Both times they've blown it.

Scotland's bowling so strong with Sole producing pace we haven't had before. Mccullum is swinging it about and Leask/Watt spinning well.

One bowler short of real quality attack but Sharif managed that wicket today.

Netherlands strength is batting so real contest on Thursday.

Do you think Scotland would be better to bat first or bowl first against the Dutch, should they win the toss?

If Scotland is chasing you can take approx 30 runs off the target. If Netherlands are chasing they have approx 44 overs to get the runs.

Edited by Footballfirst

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Do you think Scotland would be better to bat first or bowl first against the Dutch, should they win the toss?

If Scotland is chasing you can take approx 30 runs off the target. If Netherlands are chasing they have approx 44 overs to get the runs.

26 games in group stage and Super Six. 25 times team winning toss fielded first. 12 wins, 13 defeats (often the weaker team). Due to assessment of the pitches. Only Sri Lanka batted first v Netherlands after winning that way v Scotland couple of days before.

Scotland fielded first v Ireland, Sri Lanka, West Indies. Batted first v UAE, Oman, Zimbabwe.

The_razors_edge

Before watching this tournament I knew Chris Sole was a pace bowler but no idea how quick he actually is. Regularly firing them down between 88 and 92 MPH 😲😳 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I think Scotland prefer to chase and given match being played at Bulawayo, same ground as today's game, I say bowl first and skittle Netherlands for 200, then chase it down.

If we bat first, then Netherlands know what they have to do and they can just go hell for leather as they have nothing to lose. If they bat first, on a slow wicket, then hopefully they'll take risks against best attack, apart from Sri Lanka, and we can restrict them to low total.

Their bowling is nothing special and confident we can chase a reasonable total.

Personally hope it pours with rain all day Thursday and Scotland go through without playing. Might not be the preferred way to qualify, but I would prefer to avoid the stress.

scott herbertson

I worked it out.

If Nederlands bat first we just need to bowl them out for 31 or less and we don't need to bat

I'm getting the hang of this crickety thing, living with my English in laws

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I worked it out.

If Nederlands bat first we just need to bowl them out for 31 or less and we don't need to bat

😂

Malinga the Swinga
16 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I worked it out.

Would be nice if it happens but you could say it's unlikely. Checked weather forecast and no rain expected so it's busy day Thursday with this and 3rd Ashes test.

Nelly Terraces
6 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Before watching this tournament I knew Chris Sole was a pace bowler but no idea how quick he actually is. Regularly firing them down between 88 and 92 MPH 😲😳 

Yeah, I watched it today & Chris Sole was superb, accurate & like you say, the pace is frightening. I think he'd easily get a game for some of the larger nations.

Overall, another incredible performance & roll on Thursday 8AM, I'll be tuning in as the last 2 games have been compulsive & enjoyable viewing. 

The_razors_edge
15 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah, I watched it today & Chris Sole was superb, accurate & like you say, the pace is frightening. I think he'd easily get a game for some of the larger nations.

Overall, another incredible performance & roll on Thursday 8AM, I'll be tuning in as the last 2 games have been compulsive & enjoyable viewing. 

He’s been great all tournament. It makes a huge difference for a nation like Scotland to have a bowler who can bowl at that speed and can get the ball to move - you saw that today when he skittled the Zimbabwe top order. 

One of the perks of working from home is being able to sit and watch the cricket 👌🏻

Malinga the Swinga
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Some other game being played tomorrow

Thought Tongue did okay but suppose Woakes offers more batting options. England's tail far too long at Lord's.

Personally would have got rid of Brook, brought in Foakes and played Bairstow as batsman but Root doesn't like going in at 3.

If that's English attack, then they need to make wicket quick but then Australia have bowlers who can take advantage of these conditions.

Think that's what England and their media are missing, Australia have better bowlers and with Root/Smith cancelling each other out, the Aussie batters are better than English ones which makes Australia better team.

They don't need to make excuses about stampings or anything else, it's that simple.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thought Tongue did okay but suppose Woakes offers more batting options. England's tail far too long at Lord's.

Personally would have got rid of Brook, brought in Foakes and played Bairstow as batsman but Root doesn't like going in at 3.

If that's English attack, then they need to make wicket quick but then Australia have bowlers who can take advantage of these conditions.

Think that's what England and their media are missing, Australia have better bowlers and with Root/Smith cancelling each other out, the Aussie batters are better than English ones which makes Australia better team.

They don't need to make excuses about stampings or anything else, it's that simple.

strange about Tongue, he’s done well

Malinga the Swinga

You have to laugh at the spin on the England changes.

Everything and everyone is a positive change. No recognition of changes being made cause they're desperate and players aren't good enough.

If, or hopefully when, they lose ashes, how long before they turn on bazball and realise it's hyped up and in reality, nothing has changed.

Batsmen get out to loose or poor shot selection and now it's oh, bazball means this is okay and part of game. No it doesn't, it means batsmen are thick and have poor technique. Same old stuff, just with glossier deflection.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Everything and everyone is a positive change. No recognition of changes being made cause they're desperate and players aren't good enough.

If, or hopefully when, they lose ashes, how long before they turn on bazball and realise it's hyped up and in reality, nothing has changed.

Batsmen get out to loose or poor shot selection and now it's oh, bazball means this is okay and part of game. No it doesn't, it means batsmen are thick and have poor technique. Same old stuff, just with glossier deflection.

From what I’m ready down here, the coverage has been pretty negative. Read Martin Samuel in the Times today, slating England for deflecting blame for everything. Liew in the Guardian has been hammering them too

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

India, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan must be pretty shite then. All beaten by this England team. 

The first test really came down to a bad decision in the first innings (the declaration), and Cummins and Lyon batting better than expected.  The second test has been really close too (the stumping has been a boring distraction, but at least it got the dull Lord's crowd going and will rev up the crowd this week).

It wouldn't have taken much for it to have been 2-0 for England.

Australia does have much better pace bowlers and that has kept them in the hunt in both matches so far when England threatened to do something special.

I don't think England will win 3-2......but I do think it is possible.

Stokes is the best player in the world. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Sydney said:

The first test really came down to a bad decision in the first innings (the declaration), and Cummins and Lyon batting better than expected.  The second test has been really close too (the stumping has been a boring distraction, but at least it got the dull Lord's crowd going and will rev up the crowd this week).

Australia does have much better pace bowlers and that has kept them in the hunt in both matches so far when England threatened to do something special.

This is a fair analysis. Everyone making out that the Aussies are vastly superior when the truth is a little different (although the only reason the second test was in any way close was because of a Stokes near miracle). 

But this is why there’s frustration. A little bit more intelligence and sense and England would be right in this.

Dennis Denuto
17 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This is a fair analysis. Everyone making out that the Aussies are vastly superior when the truth is a little different (although the only reason the second test was in any way close was because of a Stokes near miracle). 

But this is why there’s frustration. A little bit more intelligence and sense and England would be right in this.

I disagree, England find themselves behind because they have dropped easy catches and missed simple stumpings, have bowled very poorly when conditions were in their favour and batted poorly.  The declaration had no meaningful affect on that game as Stokes wouldn't have set them much different a target in the 4th innings anyway, he would not have batted them out of the game.

At Lords if you take the conditions into account then they should have been out of site by the end of day two, not starting the second innings 91 behind, Australia have simply been better.

CF11JamTart
37 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

From what I’m ready down here, the coverage has been pretty negative. Read Martin Samuel in the Times today, slating England for deflecting blame for everything. Liew in the Guardian has been hammering them too

That's what it's looking like. 

Apart from a few folk like J. Agnew, England aren't getting much sympathy. 

Hiding behind the stumping and the Bazball ethos. 

Aye OK boys, just as long as there's a good team spirit and you're enjoying your rock'n'roll cricket, that's all that matters. 

England could have been 2-0, but instead they are 0-2.

Aus aren't that much better. But they only need to be slightly better five times and it's 0-5.

Malinga the Swinga
31 minutes ago, Sydney said:

He's not even the best player in the England team. 

He might, now and again, be one of most destructive batsmen in a second innings chase, but he ain't nowhere near best player in world.

Malinga the Swinga
41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

India, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan must be pretty shite then. All beaten by this England team. 

Other than Pakistan, rest of wins don't amount to much.

Who won world test championship? Not England.

Who were second in world test championship? Not England.

New Zealand shared away series 1-1.

India beat England in India.

Australia thrashed England in Australia.

Even the West Indies won test series at home against England

The hype over winning v India at home, beating South Africa at home is overdone. They have tended to win home series for ages, as do most test teams. 

Believe what you will, bazball won't change a thing in long term.

Nelly Terraces
16 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

He’s been great all tournament. It makes a huge difference for a nation like Scotland to have a bowler who can bowl at that speed and can get the ball to move - you saw that today when he skittled the Zimbabwe top order. 

One of the perks of working from home is being able to sit and watch the cricket 👌🏻

Yeah mate, he's' been excellent thorughout & it doesn't matter who you're up against, if you can bowl accurately at speeds of up to 90mph you're a bloody good bowler. Realy looking forward to watching tomorrows game. 

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

strange about Tongue, he’s done well

No idea why Tongue has been dropped, he looked far better than Robinson at Lords. Also scratching my head as to why Ali is back in, he's shown very little with either bat or ball.

The Aussies must be delighted at these changes. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
53 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yeah mate, he's' been excellent thorughout & it doesn't matter who you're up against, if you can bowl accurately at speeds of up to 90mph you're a bloody good bowler. Realy looking forward to watching tomorrows game. 

No idea why Tongue has been dropped, he looked far better than Robinson at Lords. Also scratching my head as to why Ali is back in, he's shown very little with either bat or ball.

The Aussies must be delighted at these changes. 

That Robinson ned is a right knob

Sooperstar
3 hours ago, Sydney said:

Ifs, buts and maybes. Australia were better than them in both tests. This was despite England winning the toss both times and having apparently ideal 1st Innings conditions whilst both attacking and defending. 

Australia are better at batting, fielding and bowling. Nae shame in that.

Footballfirst

Here's another odd stumping/run out, this time Matt Prior was the one who wasn't switched on.

Both of those examples you could find 1000s more. Regulation stumpings. The wicket keeper is at the stumps for just such an opportunity, the batsman is never going to expect either to be dead ball, both times batsman have over balanced and the keeper is waiting for that split second.
Find one with a quickie bowling a bouncer to the batsman, batting in his crease, sailing over his head, batsman marks his guard and walks out his crease at the end of the over not looking to gain any sporting advantage. I get it, he's dozy, should have checked with the fielding side, the umpires and all the match officials that everyone agrees the ball is dead, he's out ... on a technicality. Don't kid on it's just a run of the mill stumping though.
Anyway, did get me wondering how many times fast bowlers had got a stumping in the history of Test cricket.
Here is a legitimate contender, any more? :tongue:

Malinga the Swinga

Morning all.

Bad start as Scotland lose toss and have to bat first.

Already 1 down and Netherlands massive advantage in that they know they have 44 overs to get whatever target we set them.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, RobboM said:

Both of those examples you could find 1000s more. Regulation stumpings. The wicket keeper is at the stumps for just such an opportunity, the batsman is never going to expect either to be dead ball, both times batsman have over balanced and the keeper is waiting for that split second.
Find one with a quickie bowling a bouncer to the batsman, batting in his crease, sailing over his head, batsman marks his guard and walks out his crease at the end of the over not looking to gain any sporting advantage. I get it, he's dozy, should have checked with the fielding side, the umpires and all the match officials that everyone agrees the ball is dead, he's out ... on a technicality. Don't kid on it's just a run of the mill stumping though.
Anyway, did get me wondering how many times fast bowlers had got a stumping in the history of Test cricket.
Here is a legitimate contender, any more? :tongue:

So what are we saying here? England are just bad losers?

David McCaig

McBride not overly convincing but starting to get some useful runs on the board.

Scotland rebuilding well.

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So what are we saying here? England are just bad losers?

Nonsense .... they're really good at it :tongue:

Scotland on track for a decent score. Then Netherlands have to cope with the Scottish bowlers. 

Netherlands failed to get 214 to beat Sri Lanka last week.