Sky Deals (again 🙈)

jamtartan74

jamtartan74

Hi, contract is up shortly and they are charging a fortune, set to cancel but thought I would see if there are any deals for existing customers that any of you know about?

Sky & BT are robbing *******s. They treat existing customers like shit. You have to basically cancel and hope they phone you back offering you a better deal. 

As others have said you get a better service and save a fortune with IPTV. 

These companies have dug their own grave. 

jamtartan74

Thing is I have got iptv 😂 I just want to keep sky as well for recording and things, my daughter uses things on it and have recordings on it she has kept. They are a pain in the arse robbing *******s. 

1 hour ago, jamtartan74 said:

Thing is I have got iptv 😂 I just want to keep sky as well for recording and things, my daughter uses things on it and have recordings on it she has kept. They are a pain in the arse robbing *******s. 

Use an HDMI capturer to get the recordings off the box. Will take a while to do them all though, and you need to use an HDMI splitter from eBay that decrypts the signal but doesn't re-encrypt.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Use an HDMI capturer to get the recordings off the box. Will take a while to do them all though, and you need to use an HDMI splitter from eBay that decrypts the signal but doesn't re-encrypt.

Think he was meaning the ability to record and user interface rather than just keeping actual recordings. Hard to argue with that to be honest the sky user experience while not without fault is very slick imo. Iptv is light years away. 

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Think he was meaning the ability to record and user interface rather than just keeping actual recordings. Hard to argue with that to be honest the sky user experience while not without fault is very slick imo. Iptv is light years away. 

My iptv has catch up and on demand. Nobody needs to 'record' anything. If you want to keep it the show will likely be on one of a hundred streaming apps like cinema HD. 

The user interface also mimics sky if u want it to.

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

My iptv has catch up and on demand. Nobody needs to 'record' anything. If you want to keep it the show will likely be on one of a hundred streaming apps like cinema HD. 

The user interface also mimics sky if u want it to.

I know all of that mate and I’m not trying to convince anyone otherwise, for me it is miles away. Up to the individual whether it’s worth it or not but for my family, no ****ing chance we could survive happily on iptv. 😂

Thunder and Lightning
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

I know all of that mate and I’m not trying to convince anyone otherwise, for me it is miles away. Up to the individual whether it’s worth it or not but for my family, no ****ing chance we could survive happily on iptv. 😂

Fair comment mate, I think we would never go back. 😂 

7 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Cancel.

If the retentions don’t get back to you get someone else in the household to sign up as a new customer on a new customer deal.

I actually told them that’s what I was doing and they gave me a deal there and then.

• 1 month later...

I moving soon and the best deal I can see is £46 for Sky stream/entertainment /superfast broadband and netflix.

Any advice whether I'm better moving with them or starting as a new customer (I'm currently TV basic only for £22 with a dish but broadband with Virgin) there's no dish at the new place.

Cheers

My contract due soon also and found them fair when I have contacted them. However, I suspect they will try and flog Stream or Glass which whilst sounds good, I just don't' think it will be just as good as proper live TV. Like watching TV via Amazon, catch up etc..

Be good if anyone had any experience of these platforms to pass on their thoughts. For avoidance of doubt have a great IPTV but does not replicate the switching of live channels and recording imo. 

Thunder and Lightning

Iptv 70 for the year. All the pay per view, all the BT sport and viaplay stuff. Hundreds of channels. No brainier. 

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Iptv 70 for the year. All the pay per view, all the BT sport and viaplay stuff. Hundreds of channels. No brainier. 

You still.need wifi though, and you are almost always better getting a combined deal than just paying for Broadband on its own.

Thunder and Lightning
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You still.need wifi though, and you are almost always better getting a combined deal than just paying for Broadband on its own.

Of course you need WiFi. You would. Have that anyway. There is no way at all a full sky package including broadband is a better deal than 70 for the year for iptv. 

• 10 months later...
David McCaig

Bumping this thread up as my 18 month Sky deal has now come to an end and the renewal quote seems extortionate.

I have 1gb broadband, Sports, Cinema, BT Sport, Netflix and UHD and have been quoted £175 as the new amount.

I have phoned to cancel my contract and they didn't move on the £175 figure so have set the notice period running.

What would be a reasonable expectation from the Retention Department when they call?

For comparison Virgin are quoting £110 for effectively the same package and this includes an unlimited data/calls sim which would save another £25 per month.

hughesie27
46 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Bumping this thread up as my 18 month Sky deal has now come to an end and the renewal quote seems extortionate.

I have 1gb broadband, Sports, Cinema, BT Sport, Netflix and UHD and have been quoted £175 as the new amount.

I have phoned to cancel my contract and they didn't move on the £175 figure so have set the notice period running.

What would be a reasonable expectation from the Retention Department when they call?

For comparison Virgin are quoting £110 for effectively the same package and this includes an unlimited data/calls sim which would save another £25 per month.

I pay 90 for that through Virgin. Don't have the SIM though.

David McCaig
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I pay 90 for that through Virgin. Don't have the SIM though.

Cheers,my mobile is sim free so the Virgin offer is a genuine benefit in this case.

The biggest issue with Virgin is that you can only get 3 boxes whereas at present we have a Sky Q box and 4 Sky Minis, so the kids would lose the boxes from their bedrooms!!  They aren't happy about potentially losing Sky Go as well!!

hughesie27
6 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Cheers,my mobile is sim free so the Virgin offer is a genuine benefit in this case.

The biggest issue with Virgin is that you can only get 3 boxes whereas at present we have a Sky Q box and 4 Sky Minis, so the kids would lose the boxes from their bedrooms!!  They aren't happy about potentially losing Sky Go as well!!

Oldest 2 gets thrown out? Its beyond time if you think about it.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Oldest 2 gets thrown out? Its beyond time if you think about it.

the fairest solution 🙂

Thunder and Lightning

Iptv £100

Then just pay your Internet. 

Get it on as may firesticks as you need. 

OnlyTheLonely
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Seeing you can only watch on 2 Sky Mini boxes at a time, there must be some fights in your house.  😁

henryheart

I have a Sky Q box with the general entertainment package, sports and cinema. No phone or internet as part of the package; they match my £23 a month internet deal and I have no interest in singing and dancing mobile phone. My deal is due to expire and I'm currently paying £58.50 going up to £66.50. I phoned and was offered £64.50 but I rejected this and was told that new customers are paying £90 for the same package but to call back a week or so before the deal is due to expire. As always happens, I will do, give the reason for calling as 'thinking of leaving sky', ask to speak to the retention team and see where it goes from there. 

We have always come to an amicable deal so far - I've been a customer for 24 years - but I'm fairly relaxed. We rarely watch Sky Cinema, I'm finding the football coverage increasingly irritating and most of what is on the other channels is available on free-view  If there is no deal then I'll just leave. 

David McCaig
Just now, OnlyTheLonely said:

Seeing you can only watch on 2 Sky Mini boxes at a time, there must be some fights in your house.  😁

Fortunately the kids are 19 and 17 so pretty much nocturnal these days whereas I'm ready for bed by 21:00.

You can watch the main Sky Q box + 2 minis so not too many issues.

My preference is to stay with Sky but not at £175pm when Virgin is £110pm + a further saving of £25 on a mobile sim.

Sooperstar
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Mine was up with Virgin a few weeks ago and I went through their retentions. Same package as you. £80 a month it's costing me.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, henryheart said:

I have a Sky Q box with the general entertainment package, sports and cinema. No phone or internet as part of the package; they match my £23 a month internet deal and I have no interest in singing and dancing mobile phone. My deal is due to expire and I'm currently paying £58.50 going up to £66.50. I phoned and was offered £64.50 but I rejected this and was told that new customers are paying £90 for the same package but to call back a week or so before the deal is due to expire. As always happens, I will do, give the reason for calling as 'thinking of leaving sky', ask to speak to the retention team and see where it goes from there. 

We have always come to an amicable deal so far - I've been a customer for 24 years - but I'm fairly relaxed. We rarely watch Sky Cinema, I'm finding the football coverage increasingly irritating and most of what is on the other channels is available on free-view  If there is no deal then I'll just leave. 

I'm currently at the Mexican stand off stage of giving my notice and waiting for the inevitable call from the retentions dept.

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Mine was up with Virgin a few weeks ago and I went through their retentions. Same package as you. £80 a month it's costing me.

That's a fantastic deal

Tommy Brown
Posted (edited)
On 20/04/2023 at 11:24, jamtartan74 said:

Buy a Freesat box to record/pause.

Tell Sky to ram their service up their arse.

Did the above in 2013. 

IPTV for movies, boxsets and sport

Edited by Tommy Brown

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, David McCaig said:

I'm currently at the Mexican stand off stage of giving my notice and waiting for the inevitable call from the retentions dept.

Best to cut to the chase and avoid the cancellation charade. Just ask to speak to Retentions and avoid discussions with the initial adviser. 

I've done this for the last ten years or so and been upfront about what deal is expected. Every three years, one of the contract expiration periods coincides with their 'Black Friday' where more discounts seem to be available. 

Sooperstar

That's a fantastic deal

I just tell them I'm cancelling and going to Sky and when they ask what deal Sky have offered I make something up. 2 renewals in a row they've given me that kind of deal now.