Kuol and Oda

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

I think I am right in saying they have had zero minutes in the last five games and in those five games we have scored only one goal.

Are Kuol and Oda really that bad that they don’t deserve any opportunities at all when our attack is clearly not working. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• pettigrewsstylist

Is this the warm up act for The Who at Edinburgh Castle?

Edited by ri Alban

BackOfTheNet

I didn’t expect them to start, but I expected at least one of them to come on. Especially with Ginnelly out. I’d rather either of them come on instead of Humphrys between now and the end of the season. Especially Oda, as I see a player in there and he’s ours to develop.

RustyRightPeg

Expected neither to start but expected to see one or both as soon as we went 1-0 down.

First two subs were quite puzzling. 

LochcarronJambo
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I didn’t expect them to start, but I expected at least one of them to come on. Especially with Ginnelly out. I’d rather either of them come on instead of Humphrys between now and the end of the season. Especially Oda, as I see a player in there and he’s ours to develop.

Even if it was just to try something different, it clearly needed that after Hibs scored, yet we got Kio !!! 

Captain Canada

If they're not trusted or good enough to come on, they shouldn't be on the bench. 

I've no idea if they're up to the standard we need. 

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Even if it was just to try something different, it clearly needed that after Hibs scored, yet we got Kio !!! 

Yep.  This modern obsession with substituting  "like for like" midfield players is almost pointless when you need a serious change in the team dynamic during a game.   Kio is nowhere near good enough to play for Hearts anyway.

Its all just ****ed. Its entirely on the players to pick themselves up. 

You can rearrange the chairs, but the ship is still going down. Putting in Kuol and Oda aren't likely to do much because the rest of the team has mentally chucked it. They've given up. Professional pride and the obligation they have to the fans is completely gone. 

You can swap players out, bring in youngsters, use fringe players but the fundamental problem is still there - they've quit. 

Not only that but Aberdeen know 3rd is theirs now and Hibs smell blood. After the split there is more humiliation on the horizon because these cowards can't find it within themselves to work hard. 

We have games against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs & probably Livi, I'm predicting 1 point, if that. If we do somehow manage to get a win, it will be after Aberdeen mathematically secure 3rd. 

I hope player of the year is cancelled, because not one of them deserve it. 

16 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Agreed. I thought both would feature at some stage yesterday. If we're being really honest, Humphrys offers very little. 

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Kiomourtzoglou to be fair did well and better than Halliday did when he came on, got the ball and passed it quickly. But we only used 4 of 5 subs, so one of them could have come on when Humphrys did or when Kiomourtzoglou or Cochrane did - or even instead of Cochrane, who shouldn’t have been brought on to play left midfield.

1 minute ago, OTT said:

You can rearrange the chairs, but the ship is still going down. Putting in Kuol and Oda aren't likely to do much because the rest of the team has mentally chucked it. They've given up. Professional pride and the obligation they have to the fans is completely gone. 

You can swap players out, bring in youngsters, use fringe players but the fundamental problem is still there - they've quit. 

Not only that but Aberdeen know 3rd is theirs now and Hibs smell blood. After the split there is more humiliation on the horizon because these cowards can't find it within themselves to work hard. 

We have games against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs & probably Livi, I'm predicting 1 point, if that. If we do somehow manage to get a win, it will be after Aberdeen mathematically secure 3rd. 

Seems fairly likely we won't win another game this season based on what we're witnessing. That would see us finish 6th. 

What a complete embarrassment that would be. 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Imagine  the message that would send out ! 😮

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Carter said:

Agreed. I thought both would feature at some stage yesterday. If we're being really honest, Humphrys offers very little. 

Humphrys is one of those players that would be playing higher than he is if he could just be arsed half the time. He’s a sick note too. Quality finisher (although has missed sitters too) and can jump for long balls, but not much else. I think Oda could’ve offered some directness and something different Hibs wouldn’t have known what to do with. Maybe he wouldn’t have done much, but we won’t know if we don’t play him.

LochcarronJambo

Quite right Kio is a complete waste of a jersey, ….Naismith cannot be totally blamed straight away in his first game in charge, however, the decision to bring Kio on when we needed a goal & not atleast try Kuol or Oda - gives me the fear about his decision making - terrible substitution in the context of the game 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Kiomourtzoglou to be fair did well and better than Halliday did when he came on, got the ball and passed it quickly. But we only used 4 of 5 subs, so one of them could have come on when Humphrys did or when Kiomourtzoglou or Cochrane did - or even instead of Cochrane, who shouldn’t have been brought on to play left midfield.

Hes a charlatan. I saw him pointing around, making sure he got closer to hibs players when we were in possesion so he couldnt receive. When he did take ball in he just played another nothing ball to nowhere.

Halliday, even when having a stinker, rose and got on end of something to work the keeper.

1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Imagine  the message that would send out ! 😮

Hopefully a message that this club has standards and that we're not going to waste time and money (we now don't have) forking out to fawn over and groom the ego of ****ing losers with absolutely zero professional pride. 

3rd in the palm of our ****ing hand and they ****ed it. Honestly, **** the lot of them. 

Bungalow Bill

I thought we needed to roll the dice yesterday and bring one of them on. I don’t even know what the point of them even being on the bench is right now. 

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Hes a charlatan. I saw him pointing around, making sure he got closer to hibs players when we were in possesion so he couldnt receive. When he did take ball in he just played another nothing ball to nowhere.

Halliday, even when having a stinker, rose and got on end of something to work the keeper.

Can’t agree with that. In his short time on he showed more for the ball than Halliday did and played more forward passes (it seemed). Got stuck in more and showed a bit of urgency.

This “he just points” thing is just one of those JKB myth, pub punditry, group chat things that grows arms and legs and suddenly becomes a thing that people associate with him. Has happened plenty of times in the past when players have been wrongly labelled lazy or chicken hearted. I don’t buy it I’m afraid.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Barney bulge
22 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Genuine question 

can I ask what makes you see “ a player in there “ with oda ? 

obviously he’s not had much of a chance but I honestly don’t think in the minutes he’s had I’ve seen him complete a pass, shoot, take a player on,run at a player, win a tackle or a header,  not a single thing 

I think he’s looked like a fan that’s snuck on the pitch any time he’s had minutes and pretty much put him down to another pony signing.

would love to be proved wrong as he’s on a 3 year deal 

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Hopefully a message that this club has standards and that we're not going to waste time and money (we now don't have) forking out to fawn over and groom the ego of ****ing losers with absolutely zero professional pride. 

3rd in the palm of our ****ing hand and they ****ed it. Honestly, **** the lot of them. 

I would be in support of this just to hear Mikey Stewart and dobber Sutton debate it 🤣

joondalupjambo

Both too lightweight with not the experience we need at the moment.  If folk think these guys are going to solve the bigger problems we have then sorry it will not.  Cameos against Ross Country maybe but only if we are two up and well in control.

I would like to eat my words in the next 6 games but just cannot see it with these two.

Edited by joondalupjambo

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

You're over the top, over the top.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Yesterday was too physical a game for them.  Would have to eaten up.   Probably see them next week.

Oh yeah, because Ross County are pussies and not in any way physical 😆

Would expect both to get decent minutes in place of McKay or Forrest. As someone else posted Oda is our player so makes even more sense to give him a run. Very odd and disappointing from Naisy not to get one of them on in derby. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Can’t agree with that. In his short time on he showed more for the ball than Halliday did and played more forward passes (it seemed). Got stuck in more and showed a bit of urgency.

This “he just points” thing is just one of those JKB myth, pub punditry, group chat things that grows arms and legs and suddenly becomes a thing that people associate with him. Has happened plenty of times in the past when players have been wrongly labelled lazy or chicken hearted. I don’t buy it I’m afraid.

You patronisingly suggest therefore that I didnt see him and havn't watched it repeatedley. I just made it up to agree with the herd. 

Lost count of the number of times he slid over beside a green shirt to close himself off rather than showing, when people were looking to pick a pass.

When he hasn't managed that quick enough and is caught in space in no mans land is the occassions he points to whoever has the ball in the classic, no, no not me mode.

Passenger 1st class.

Passenger , and hiding.

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Genuine question 

can I ask what makes you see “ a player in there “ with oda ? 

obviously he’s not had much of a chance but I honestly don’t think in the minutes he’s had I’ve seen him complete a pass, shoot, take a player on,run at a player, win a tackle or a header,  not a single thing 

I think he’s looked like a fan that’s snuck on the pitch any time he’s had minutes and pretty much put him down to another pony signing.

would love to be proved wrong as he’s on a 3 year deal 

He has shown moments, in particular passing in close proximity (and quick passing too), he’s got pace, he has awareness to make the runs needed and yes he missed a sitter against Livingston but he had the awareness to get to the right position in the first place. Also seems to have close control.

That’s from the glimpses I’ve seen of him. Certainly haven’t seen enough to say he’d be any good. But no one has seen enough to conclude that’s he’s crap - yet so, so many have written him off. Anyone that has is a knee jerk complainer looking for a scapegoat. Because none of us have seen nearly enough to conclude one way or another. But I’ve seen more to say there is a player there than not.

Diadora Van Basten
4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Both too lightweight with not the experience we need at the moment.  If folk think these guys are going to solve the bigger problems we have then sorry it will not.  Cameos against Ross Country maybe but only if we are two up and we'll in control.

I would like to eat my words in the next 6 games but just cannot see it with these two.

I think playing against a defence containing two veterans like Stevenson and Hanlon Kuol’s pace would have been a threat especially towards the end when the game got stretched.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

You patronisingly suggest therefore that I didnt see him and havn't watched it repeatedley. I just made it up to agree with the herd. 

Lost count of the number of times he slid over beside a green shirt to close himself off rather than showing, when people were looking to pick a pass.

When he hasn't managed that quick enough and is caught in space in no mans land is the occassions he points to whoever has the ball in the classic, no, no not me mode.

Passenger 1st class.

Passenger , and hiding.

I’m not being patronising, simply stating that what you’re saying didn’t happen. Not sure why you’re saying it, because it’s popular with the “herd” or you have need for someone to vent at, I dunno. But what you describe did not happen in the slightest. I watched the game too, as did plenty in the ratings thread who believed he had a better game than Halliday did.

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Oh yeah, because Ross County are pussies and not in any way physical 😆

True but we are and home and will take the game to county.  Yesterday was a midfield battle that we shambolically allowed Doyle-Hayes and that prick Newell to win.

Feels like one last sad roll of the dice but I would have them in next week from the start. Pollock as well.

Quite a few of the others in the group don’t even deserve a place on the bench right now.

David McCaig
41 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Expected neither to start but expected to see one or both as soon as we went 1-0 down.

First two subs were quite puzzling. 

Last two subs?

pettigrewsstylist
13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not being patronising, simply stating that what you’re saying didn’t happen. Not sure why you’re saying it, because it’s popular with the “herd” or you have need for someone to vent at, I dunno. But what you describe did not happen in the slightest. I watched the game too, as did plenty in the ratings thread who believed he had a better game than Halliday did.

This “he just points” thing is just one of those JKB myth, pub punditry, group chat things that grows arms and legs and suddenly becomes a thing that people associate with him. 

Own it.

Im out.

37 minutes ago, R9. said:

I’m thinking with Kuol it could be down to paying his wage if he appears. popadom hands had something like that IF we never played him we had to pay his wage from United 

Absolute nonsense.

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

This “he just points” thing is just one of those JKB myth, pub punditry, group chat things that grows arms and legs and suddenly becomes a thing that people associate with him. 

Own it.

Im out.

I do own it. I just don’t think I was being patronising like you do. I think it was a fair analysis of fans that get unnecessarily angry at players they don’t like. I’m not sure which one you fall under, but if you genuinely believe he just hides and points, then you are one of the above.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

...andFulton'sBaggio
23 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Passenger 1st class.

Passenger , and hiding.

100% this. Called it after the Fiorentina home game. Kio is one of the biggest shirkers I've ever seen in a Hearts shirt. Hide, point, hide, point, hide, short pointless pass, hide. Rinse and repeat. He's done far less in all the minutes he's played than Kuol has in the brief cameos he's had - albeit in a different position - yet Kuol can't get a look in. Bizarre!

39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You're over the top, over the top.

Maybe, but I don't think there is anything to celebrate this season. Its one of disaster, failure and missed opportunity brought about entirely by ourselves. I don't think the players that have let everyone down should be getting an evening of awards and ego grooming. 

If there was positives to take into next season, I could see doing it as worth while, but the squad alone requires huge turnover and I just don't see the point. 

pettigrewsstylist
6 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

100% this. Called it after the Fiorentina home game. Kio is one of the biggest shirkers I've ever seen in a Hearts shirt. Hide, point, hide, point, hide, short pointless pass, hide. Rinse and repeat. He's done far less in all the minutes he's played than Kuol has in the brief cameos he's had - albeit in a different position - yet Kuol can't get a look in. Bizarre!

🙄👍

...andFulton'sBaggio
12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I do own it. I just don’t think I was being patronising like you do. I think it was a fair analysis of fans that get unnecessarily angry at players they don’t like. I’m not sure which one you fall under, but if you genuinely believe he just hides and points, then you are one of the above.

Name one thing of consequence that Kio has done in a Hearts shirt. A precise through ball perhaps, or a raking crossfield pass. A last ditch tackle or an effort on goal. A moment where he got the ball and took it on himself to change the flow of the game in a positive way. Something with real impact - a moment where you thought to yourself "I'm so glad THAT guy's on the pitch!"

1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

If they're not trusted or good enough to come on, they shouldn't be on the bench. 

I've no idea if they're up to the standard we need. 

Never likely to find out if they never get on the park

44 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Passenger 1st class.

Passenger , and hiding.

Our whole midfield did this for the majority of the game, probably done it for the majority of the season, hence why we have no options but to play it sideways.

Grant was the only one who occasionally found the space for a pass.

2 minutes ago, R9. said:

Why’s he not playing then 

Okay you win. We brought a January loan in that we wouldn't play because if we did we would have to pay too much. 

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

Name one thing of consequence that Kio has done in a Hearts shirt. A precise through ball perhaps, or a raking crossfield pass. A last ditch tackle or an effort on goal. A moment where he got the ball and took it on himself to change the flow of the game in a positive way. Something with real impact - a moment where you thought to yourself "I'm so glad THAT guy's on the pitch!"

That’s your problem. You expect him to make raking cross field passes, or last ditch tackles (never a good thing defensively that by the way, as Maldini once famously said, it means you’ve made a mistake in the first place) or anything you’ve said. Not all players are impact players. For instance Snodgrass didn’t do any of the things you’ve said either.

Kiomourtzoglou is there to break up play, to mark players, to intercept, to win the ball back and pass it on. Nothing for the highlight reel, but can he very effective. I by no means will say he’s been great this season in the interrupted outings he’s had, but this pish about him pointing and hiding only is simply that, pish.

MarkDevriesScores4

Clearly neither offer enough in training. 2 managers have had a look at them and decided they’re not starting 11 and fairly down the pecking order even as subs. The tiny amount of football I’ve seen them play, they didn’t show anything either.