warm ups and the amount of injuries

Djm1874

Maybe it’s me or how many times this season have our players been injured in the first half or even first 10 minutes! Is the warm up being done properly? michael smith today after what 2 mins!!  Halkett  after 6 mins in zurich. There has been more that i can’t think of but feels ridiculous. 

fabienleclerq

Michael Smith has looked like he's been carrying an injury for ages. I get the feeling the plan was to have natty as first choice and smith back up. Natty hasn't been good enough and it's meant Smith has played more than is ideal.

1 hour ago, Djm1874 said:

Maybe it’s me or how many times this season have our players been injured in the first half or even first 10 minutes! Is the warm up being done properly? michael smith today after what 2 mins!!  Halkett  after 6 mins in zurich. There has been more that i can’t think of but feels ridiculous. 

Probably the fact that we do the same drills pre match every week that are never to match speed. I remember watching Istanbul players set up in formation pre match and ping the ball about in a match like attack to get them ready to go, Instead we play passy and hit crosses into the box

You'd think that professional football players might have a clue how to warm up properly and take personal responsibility for it. Smith is an older player and has been a great servant for hearts. His injury had hee haw to do with the backroom staff or the oriam pitch, the tories, humza, mi5 or space aliens. Shit happens. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Michael Smith has looked like he's been carrying an injury for ages. I get the feeling the plan was to have natty as first choice and smith back up. Natty hasn't been good enough and it's meant Smith has played more than is ideal.

I know you can’t believe RN but he definitely said Smith was 1st choice this season. But then told anyone that would listen that he wanted Patterson. 

We had a lot of injuries under Levein too. Makes you wonder if there is something wrong with our training, fitness or warm up routines. Hamstring injuries alone seem to be reasonably regular right now.

Craig Beattie told a story about when he was at Celtic under Strachan and scoring one week, then finding out he was benched the following game. He was pissed off and half arsed his warm up and ended up tearing something (hamstring possibly). 

How much of this falls on the players? 

1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Probably the fact that we do the same drills pre match every week that are never to match speed. I remember watching Istanbul players set up in formation pre match and ping the ball about in a match like attack to get them ready to go, Instead we play passy and hit crosses into the box

They were a different level, the subs were constantly warming up during the game, ready to be called upon at any time.  Not like us where we sit on a bench for 20 mins then go for a wee jog.

However our warmups pre match are very good, nothing to see here, move on.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Our injuries, and generally speaking recovery times, have been appalling for the last two years at least.

I don’t think any part of the football side of the club is working as it should.

The players need to be repeatedly beasted on Gullane sand dunes until they are fit as.

And they all need appointments with a Sports psychiatrist.

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know you can’t believe RN but he definitely said Smith was 1st choice this season. But then told anyone that would listen that he wanted Patterson. 

I can only assume he's said this on the back of natty not being good enough last year. If his actual plan was smith first choice he's an idiot.

been here before
10 hours ago, Djm1874 said:

So thus far we've established that prior to yesterday there  was one, yesterday makes 2 from about 40 games this season. One of these an already injury prone player who had only recently returned from a previous spell out and the other the oldest player in the squad who is clearly physically in decline and looks to have been carrying an injury for weeks.

Aye it seems the warm ups are an issue.

Do we have the same sports science fitness team as a few seasons back ? Or did Robbie bring his own team ?

Fitness is clearly an issue and was from day one of the season.