Snodgrass

gorgierulesapply88

The White Cockade

If he finishes third playing crap football the mood will be high!

but aye obviously winning and playing attractive football would be far preferable 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Naisys Tackle

• GinRummy

• Sooks

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Tell me when this scenario played out at Hearts?

Tony Ford, Alex McDonald, Sandy Clark, and at countless other clubs obviously 

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

If Naisy gets us 3rd id say he's a shoe in to start next season in situ.

Whats becoming apparent is the board will not accept a poor run of results, no matter what credit you have in the bank.

Hopefully some of the full time slavers on here will sit back and trust the Board to do whats correct for the football club.  I seriously doubt it though.

It’s a fans forum where everybody is entitled to express their opinions.

You can sit back and relax as the Board will pay absolutely no attention to any opinions on here.

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

Tony Ford, Alex McDonald, Sandy Clark, and at countless other clubs obviously 

Alex McDonald was a great appointment.

As for Tony Ford and Sandy Clark were they appointed interim manager before given the job?

Macdonald got the job after losing to Forfar, Clark was caretaker when he left, and was was very briefly caretaker when Jordan was sacked, likewise Ford when Moncur left, in all cases they got the job full time very quickly, within a couple of weeks, which in truth was probably down to a complete lack of finances at that time 

5 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Is this not the Snodgrass thread?

He's away.

Nobody cares anymore.

Luckies1874
23 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You can sit back and relax as the Board will pay absolutely no attention to any opinions on here.

He says it like it's a bad thing. It's become very apparent that the "full time slavers" are on the same wavelength as the board. Feels good :sweeet:

kingantti1874
34 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I agree 100% btw.  But it’s an interesting point but when we appointed Daniel Stendel I think that was sparked by opinion on here .  Don’t think it would happen now but I’m 100% sure it was a factor 

Edited by kingantti1874

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, sadj said:

^ id also say its not people saying he wont get it. Thats a complete misnomer thrown in by you to give an inaccurate representation on what people are saying

It's really not. It's pointing out that people make far too many assumptions on what our club and board will or won't do. Based on little or no information and even fewer facts. 

Dozens telling anyone that will listen that Robbie won't be removed (definitely not before the split) for example. 

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

If SN gets us to third playing good football, the momentum and mood amongst the fans will be high and guaranteed at that point the majority of fans will be more than happy to go with Naismith, we have all seen the movie before.

What movie, and when?

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I forgot to add - AM made it clear (in addition to saying he wants an experienced manager) they're not going to wait until the season is over while they begin their search. So for me, SN will not be getting the job.  Time will tell. 

He specifically said they will be parallel processes.  SN proving his credentials for the job whilst they look at the market. Exactly what should be happening. 

Rick Sanchez
37 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I agree 100% btw.  But it’s an interesting point but when we appointed Daniel Stendel I think that was sparked by opinion on here .  Don’t think it would happen now but I’m 100% sure it was a factor 

It definitely was. Budge fancied trying something different and didn't just pluck Stendel from thin air.

He was all over the socials as well.

StevenNaismith
On 11/04/2023 at 17:11, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Why?

He’s far too slow. SN will want us to play a high intensity game with a big press and Snodgrass can’t play that kinda game. All this talk of Snodgrass being a bad egg is miles off the mark, he’s a top pro who unfortunately has lost his legs. That’s it.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Nah if Naismith saves 3rd and the £6m then the jobs his next season until 3rd looks goosed then (if that happens).  He would be away to another club if he got put back to the youths. 

4 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

We have sacked Robbie because 3rds in real danger regardless of Saturday.  If Naismith saves that then he deserves the chance to lead us next season for me.  

In what way bigger?  He could be a brilliant manager and could build on the hypothetical 3rd.  Wouldn't be good to turn our nose up at that for me incase someone else could do better. 

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

We got European groups because UEFA re-created a third competition, little to do with the OF.

Don't disagree with the second. He has to get third to be considered. How he gets third will determine if he's kept on.

They are fair points but I don’t buy it myself.

You can win a cup in not much less than 7 games. Yep not necessarily all SPL teams but put it this way, if Naismith gets us 3rd and we look better under him but Henning Berg applies for and would take the role who would you choose?

Our board is professional now. We will undertake a proper recruitment process and than have a final short list of 2 or 3 upon whom a decision will be made.

7 games is nothing compared to having won2 leagues as a manager and qualified for Champs league.

Who manages us will all come down to what options we have. It would be a shame if Naismith did well and left, but not if we get a class manager with experience of winning trophies at a decent level and Euro on top of that.

21 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

He’s far too slow. SN will want us to play a high intensity game with a big press and Snodgrass can’t play that kinda game. All this talk of Snodgrass being a bad egg is miles off the mark, he’s a top pro who unfortunately has lost his legs. That’s it.

:raging::Shanks:

The Future's Maroon
3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

He's away.

Nobody cares anymore.

🤣🤣🤣

Shame it's turned out this way because when he first arrived he was strolling it and looked to be a good addition.

No idea what's qwnt on but you could visibly see the disharmony within the team on Saturday, something just wasn't right.

Pete Elliott
7 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

With respect, that’s not true. I know for a fact Snodgrass has been badmouthing the club and causing issues. His professionalism is most definitely questionable.

18 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Which pundits are clued up on Hearts goings on? Michael Stewart to an extent, but he thinks letting Neilson go is a ludicrous decision, so he can’t have been paying that much attention. Can’t think of anyone else involved in Scottish football, who quite frankly are amateur at best and very Glasgow centric. Not sure many could argue with that.

As I say, they waxed lyrical about Snodgrass in the cup game at Hamilton when he was average at best. That’s my point, that not everyone waxing lyrical knew what they were talking about. It’s like they were talking about Snodgrass of 2015 when they were watching 2023 Snodgrass.

You're looking far too deep into it. Journos and pundits (or anyone) don't need to be particularly 'clued up' about Hearts, they just need to open up their eyes and take a non maroon-tinted look at Hearts games and realise Snodgrass played very well in alot of the games. That's it.

I honestly can't recall the Hamilton game you refer to, but it doesn't really matter as there were numerous games he was excellent in.

20 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I first coined the nickname, but stopped using it weeks ago, as it was inappropriate

Rightly so - he has been less Snodric and more Snitchen, recently (Perry Kitchen...).

2 minutes ago, saxondale said:

You're looking far too deep into it. Journos and pundits (or anyone) don't need to be particularly 'clued up' about Hearts, they just need to open up their eyes and take a non maroon-tinted look at Hearts games and realise Snodgrass played very well in alot of the games. That's it.

I honestly can't recall the Hamilton game you refer to, but it doesn't really matter as there were numerous games he was excellent in.

He played well in games early in his spell with us. It’s been more than noticeable thst these good performances have fallen away markedly for some time. 

We_are_the_Hearts
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Good to hear as totally understand the footy bit and was not having the bad egg stuff

RustyRightPeg
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

That’s exactly it. 

He’s a senior pro, with being that figure you can be demanding on your peers. Naismith himself was no different and nobody called him a bad egg. Devlin went on record saying how much he looked up to Snoddy and respected his career.

It’s unfortunate it’s ended this way as his first few games once he was up to speed he was genuinely very good and looked a step above what we were at the time.

36 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Around the St Mirren double header, he got worked out.  And we didn't change.

What got me was how slow his brain seemed to work at times, it was really surprising.  An incident in I think the Killie game, he got the ball, corner of the box, right side, needs a touch and a hit at the far top corner.  He had 5 yards of space to do it.  Bread and butter for Snoddy, in fact for a lad like him, it's the equiv of a one-on-one for a CF.  He dithered, somehow didn't get his shot away and passed it backwards.  It was actually really weird to watch.  When he got the ball, I thought "goal".  And everything he did was quite like this and has been since, what? end Jan?  Not saying he was electric but when Charlie Adam came back up to Dundee, he still managed to dictate games and his delivery etc was still second to none.  We saw glimpses of that from Snoddy, but not enough and I don't put that down to talent, that's mentality.

And as I've said a number of times, and have been saying prior to this week, there has been plenty flak for our other CMs.  Kio, Grant, Cam all had mud slung, but they've had some shift on their hands in there with him frankly.

Hindsight is wonderful.  I love it and change my opinion with its benefit!  But a good manager around the time of the St Mirren, Hibs, Aberdeen wins sees we've not actually controlled the game in the way we would have wanted despite good wins and would work out why.  But Robbie kinda kept with it, changing Snoddy's partners as if they were the issue.  If he had gone 4231 and had Snods anywhere in that 3, I'd have got it.  Or 433, keep Snoddy deepish but have 2 runners in with him in Cam and Grant, or Halliday, I kinda could've got too.  Ish.

To me, and from what I've heard (not on hear I might add!), it sounds very much like Snoddy saw himself doing the Schweinsteiger thing of re-inventing into a classy CDM and he had Robbie convinced he was Jorginho and this is a clever modern fancy way to play.  Draw them in, play around them and we're in, oh and I can do that all by myself cos I'm an EPL player.  "Tell me another story about the EPL please Snoddy, honest, I'll go to bed straight after...."

Seriously, Robbie could look back at listening to the guy and over-utilising him as his biggest downfall.  He's Stendel's Pereira.

Edit: just re-read this, and sometimes black and white seems definite. Not saying Snoddy is a trouble maker, just his presence caused trouble for us on the pitch and Robbie overinvested in the guy.  Favouritism will cause disharmony, especially when it isn't working.  That's all really.  It's just frustrating

Edited by TheBigO

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Around the St Mirren double header, he got worked out.  And we didn't change.

What got me was how slow his brain seemed to work at times, it was really surprising.  An incident in I think the Killie game, he got the ball, corner of the box, right side, needs a touch and a hit at the far top corner.  He had 5 yards of space to do it.  Bread and butter for Snoddy, in fact for a lad like him, it's the equiv of a one-on-one for a CF.  He dithered, somehow didn't get his shot away and passed it backwards.  It was actually really weird to watch.  When he got the ball, I thought "goal".  And everything he did was quite like this and has been since, what? end Jan?  Not saying he was electric but when Charlie Adam came back up to Dundee, he still managed to dictate games and his delivery etc was still second to none.  We saw glimpses of that from Snoddy, but not enough and I don't put that down to talent, that's mentality.

And as I've said a number of times, and have been saying prior to this week, there has been plenty flak for our other CMs.  Kio, Grant, Cam all had mud slung, but they've had some shift on their hands in there with him frankly.

Hindsight is wonderful.  I love it and change my opinion with its benefit!  But a good manager around the time of the St Mirren, Hibs, Aberdeen wins sees we've not actually controlled the game in the way we would have wanted despite good wins and would work out why.  But Robbie kinda kept with it, changing Snoddy's partners as if they were the issue.  If he had gone 4231 and had Snods anywhere in that 3, I'd have got it.  Or 433, keep Snoddy deepish but have 2 runners in with him in Cam and Grant, or Halliday, I kinda could've got too.  Ish.

To me, and from what I've heard (not on hear I might add!), it sounds very much like Snoddy saw himself doing the Schweinsteiger thing of re-inventing into a classy CDM and he had Robbie convinced he was Jorginho and this is a clever modern fancy way to play.  Draw them in, play around them and we're in, oh and I can do that all by myself cos I'm an EPL player.  "Tell me another story about the EPL please Snoddy, honest, I'll go to bed straight after...."

Seriously, Robbie could look back at listening to the guy and over-utilising him as his biggest downfall.  He's Stendel's Pereira.

Edit: just re-read this, and sometimes black and white seems definite. Not saying Snoddy is a trouble maker, just his presence caused trouble for us on the pitch and Robbie overinvested in the guy.  Favouritism will cause disharmony, especially when it isn't working.  That's all really.  It's just frustrating

good post. Should have reverted to a wide midfield role where he could have hurt teams with his excellent delivery after stmirren.  

it’s no coincidence for me that our best performance in this dismal run was Celtic away where we played with high energy players all across the pitch. 

id also play atkinson, he’s no world beater defensively but his energy going forward makes us a better team in my opinion. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

good post. Should have reverted to a wide midfield role where he could have hurt teams with his excellent delivery after stmirren.  

it’s no coincidence for me that our best performance in this dismal run was Celtic away where we played with high energy players all across the pitch. 

id also play atkinson, he’s no world beater defensively but his energy going forward makes us a better team in my opinion. 

Natty is a big toss-up.  He's weak as piss and gets brushed off the ball (and often stays down instead of bouncing up and getting his arse back).  He was off-record described as "soft as shite" to me.

I kinda like him too and think he brings something to us, but there's no denying he needs a lot of toughening up and when we are struggling for straight up strength at CH, I'm not sure he's the option.  You know, if we had Halks inside him (oooooohh!!) then we'd maybe get away with it eh.

Also very aware we don't see training, so I generally find it hard to say such and such should be playing with 100% certainty.  I'd think Naisy will have given more or less clean slate all round eh.  But I guess Forrest or even himself will have pre-made opinions on most players, so let's see I guess.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’d play Atkinson too. Doesn’t deserve half the shit he gets on here. 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, saxondale said:

Which is fine for you to think. For me he’s never had a better than 8/10 in a Hearts shirt and there were game day threads where folk were giving him 9’s and 10’s when he was a 6 or 7 at best.

My point being his reputation seemed to give him an advantage in some eyes, almost as if he started 2 or 3 points ahead of others before a ball was kicked.

All about opinions of course, but if we’re looking over the course of the season I’m not sure he’d even be in my top 10 performers. But according to some he should be right up there, discounting only recent weeks.

9 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

That type of style is likely to find out more of them than just Snodgrass sadly. 

17 minutes ago, Carter said:

That type of style is likely to find out more of them than just Snodgrass sadly. 

Don't expect Stendel type heavy metal though mate.  It'll be about winning the ball back quickly and energy in getting to the ball first.  About competing first and foremost.

I expect our press to be quite controlled in that certain players will be released to press high and hard but a good solid shape held behind them.  So we'll have a front three who are absolute pests (and we have the legs in a number of forwards to do this - Shanks, plus any of Barrie, Gino, Forrest, Kuol, Oda, maye Humps all of whom can run and run).  And maybe Cam, so you have a 4 man press, 5 at times, which allows probably 2 to be around the ball at all times.  But the other 5/6 players are tight and compact.

I don't see it being a high-line, everyone round the ball type mega-nuts thing (which I enjoyed!!).

So basically I guess I'm saying I think we can handle it.  I dont worry about fitness as the guys putting the legwork in are the boys I'd expect to be able to do it.  And also, you can easily sub these boys after 55/60 once they've run themselves out and we have similar on the bench.

All total guesswork, but I think there will be a lot of work on a strong defensive shape, gaps between players and dealing with long balls in the air and in behind.  A strong base to allow the other half of the team to go a bit more smashmouth.  It'll be pretty basic and based all around desire.  I honestly think we DO have that in our ranks as we've shown it before.

I may be setting myself up for a fall, but I have a nice wee feeling Naisy, Frankie and Gordon will have the boys ready.

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Don't expect Stendel type heavy metal though mate.  It'll be about winning the ball back quickly and energy in getting to the ball first.  About competing first and foremost.

I expect our press to be quite controlled in that certain players will be released to press high and hard but a good solid shape held behind them.  So we'll have a front three who are absolute pests (and we have the legs in a number of forwards to do this - Shanks, plus any of Barrie, Gino, Forrest, Kuol, Oda, maye Humps all of whom can run and run).  And maybe Cam, so you have a 4 man press, 5 at times, which allows probably 2 to be around the ball at all times.  But the other 5/6 players are tight and compact.

I don't see it being a high-line, everyone round the ball type mega-nuts thing (which I enjoyed!!).

So basically I guess I'm saying I think we can handle it.  I dont worry about fitness as the guys putting the legwork in are the boys I'd expect to be able to do it.  And also, you can easily sub these boys after 55/60 once they've run themselves out and we have similar on the bench.

All total guesswork, but I think there will be a lot of work on a strong defensive shape, gaps between players and dealing with long balls in the air and in behind.  A strong base to allow the other half of the team to go a bit more smashmouth.  It'll be pretty basic and based all around desire.  I honestly think we DO have that in our ranks as we've shown it before.

I may be setting myself up for a fall, but I have a nice wee feeling Naisy, Frankie and Gordon will have the boys ready.

Zurich game at home (1st half) showed we have the perfect personell to apply the high pressing game and quick counter. (Well, Boyce was maybe the only one that isn’t fully up the intense style)

It’s quite remarkable that we haven’t deployed it more. I can only imagine it’s because the two times we have (Zurich and the 3-4 Celtic game) we’ve lost. So maybe Neilson got scared of deploying it again. But I for one would love to see more of that.

Get your forward players to run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes, knackering defenders in the process, and then replace them with other forwards that can run for days. Ginnelly and Humphrys replaced by Kuol and Oda for example.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Zurich game at home (1st half) showed we have the perfect personell to apply the high pressing game and quick counter. (Well, Boyce was maybe the only one that isn’t fully up the intense style)

It’s quite remarkable that we haven’t deployed it more. I can only imagine it’s because the two times we have (Zurich and the 3-4 Celtic game) we’ve lost. So maybe Neilson got scared of deploying it again. But I for one would love to see more of that.

Get your forward players to run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes, knackering defenders in the process, and then replace them with other forwards that can run for days. Ginnelly and Humphrys replaced by Kuol and Oda for example.

Yup.  It seems very simple doesn't it!! (and we'd all do it if it was, I suppose!!)

Remember how good Cam (and Jorge) were that game against Zurich.  He played a bit deeper than I'd usually want him, but not a thing got by him and his use of the ball was superb, he really stepped up that night.  Kind of the night it all fell apart wasn't it!

52 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’d play Atkinson too. Doesn’t deserve half the shit he gets on here. 

Not sure I'd play him.on Sat , he always strikes me as a bit of a bombscare under pressure and I think the Derby could be to high pressured for him especially away from home. 

Wouldn't be aversed to going with him and Cochrane at fullback against Ross County though. 

Ex member of the SaS

Natty in the ozzy squad seem to me like he is better than he has shown here. Maybe due to lack of games/confidence.

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, ramrod said:

Not sure I'd play him.on Sat , he always strikes me as a bit of a bombscare under pressure and I think the Derby could be to high pressured for him especially away from home. 

Wouldn't be aversed to going with him and Cochrane at fullback against Ross County though. 

Play a guy as a defender, that cant defend. Not for me at this venue or this moment.

Smith has to start for me. If our CHs were looking dependable then it might be different.

Atkinson needs some defensive coaching one on one. There is no reason he could not become a really decent option at WB as he has plenty attributes to do so. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He was told not to let the door hit his arse on way out, unfortunately he was too slow and now has a red mark on his botty

35 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Play a guy as a defender, that cant defend. Not for me at this venue or this moment.

Smith has to start for me. If our CHs were looking dependable then it might be different.

Atkinson needs some defensive coaching one on one. There is no reason he could not become a really decent option at WB as he has plenty attributes to do so. 

If only he had a manager that played in his position...

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

He was told not to let the door hit his arse on way out, unfortunately he was too slow and now has a red mark on his botty

Did he Yale out? 😂

MarkDevriesScores4
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decisive

“Only got good things to say about him”

but I want him nowhere near the team 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

“Only got good things to say about him”

but I want him nowhere near the team 

...If he is not going to be playing....

Lithuanian fax anyone 🧐😅

Howdy Doody Jambo

SN not affraid to make though decision's to benefit the team for the better as how he wants to play, impressive 

For me, our most complete performance this season was Motherwell away (the 0:3 game back in September). I’ve no idea if certain players have been the problem recently, or the manager, or several factors together. But I know this team is capable of some of the best football I’ve seen. 
This was the team and formation: 

FBE05900-CBA6-48EC-BEF5-B134AF795612.png

upgotheheads
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decisive

"The decision was made"  Making difficult decisions is what good managers do. I had begun to wonder if Robbie's failures since the turn of the year were more about not wanting to drop senior players like Smith and Snodgrass, while being happy to drop the likes of Atkinson and Devlin, who were much younger. Atkinson has the kind of pace and athleticism that we clearly lacked down the right side and I remember Devlin being dropped a few weeks ago for no apparent reason after he'd had a good game the previous week.

StevenNaismith
3 minutes ago, Heart&soul said:

For me, our most complete performance this season was Motherwell away (the 0:3 game back in September). I’ve no idea if certain players have been the problem recently, or the manager, or several factors together. But I know this team is capable of some of the best football I’ve seen. 
This was the team and formation: 

FBE05900-CBA6-48EC-BEF5-B134AF795612.png

Were you at that game? We could’ve and probably should’ve lost that game about 6-3.

• Selkirkhmfc1874 changed the title to Bellend picture of the day