Edinburgh Evening News

red21

Why has this paper gone so downhill - I used to pick up a copy regularly and thought it was usually OK. Had a look at a copy I picked up the train today and some of the reporting/writing in it was terrible.

Is it just me becoming more cynical and questioning in me old age - or has its standards slipped?

skotskosparta
Why has this paper gone so downhill - I used to pick up a copy regularly and thought it was usually OK. Had a look at a copy I picked up the train today and some of the reporting/writing in it was terrible.

Is it just me becoming more cynical and questioning in me old age - or has its standards slipped?

Got to agree, the paper is crap now, too much advertising and not enough quality reports. Been going down hill since the death of the Pink!!

Denny Crane
Got to agree, the paper is crap now, too much advertising and not enough quality reports. Been going down hill since the death of the Pink!!

Which tells you who indeed control's most of the UK's written press. Hugh Cudlipp must be spinning.

Miller Jambo 60

Ever since the size was reduced to popular paper it has been shat.

clowns like hardie spouting pash about the hobos does my head in .

Ginga anderson pretends to be a jambo which he isnt.

No its well down the toilet.

It's editorial policy is rabidly pro leith vermin, and has been for quite some time now. Consequently it's no surprise it's not even fit for wiping one's erse with or wrapping a fish supper in. I glance at the on line version from time to time, but wouldn't stick my hand in my pocket to buy the rhag.

Evening Green - Edinburgh's disgrace. :mad:

Patrick Bateman

Its a trend amongst a lot of papers in the last several years, due to decreased circulation as a direct consequence of the internet.

Why pay 35pence for a shoddy paper? Similarly, why pay ?1.20 for a Sunday paper when virtually all of that information can be obtained online for free? It doesn't make sense.

It's editorial policy is rabidly pro leith vermin, and has been for quite some time now. Consequently it's no surprise it's not even fit for wiping one's erse with or wrapping a fish supper in. I glance at the on line version from time to time, but wouldn't stick my hand in my pocket to buy the rhag.

Evening Green - Edinburgh's disgrace. :mad:

Downhill ever since the infamous Evening News Scam circa 1990ish

Carl Spackler
Its a trend amongst a lot of papers in the last several years, due to decreased circulation as a direct consequence of the internet.

Why pay 35pence for a shoddy paper? Similarly, why pay ?1.20 for a Sunday paper when virtually all of that information can be obtained online for free? It doesn't make sense.

I agree. It's all based on the fact that paper sales are in decline and most people who actually want to find out the facts on the latest news will look online. The papers are increasingly becoming an entertainment medium instead of real news messangers.

How much of a Premium would you pay for a newspaper with 100% straight-forward reporting of facts based on solid first hand investigative journailism though. No spin, rumours, editorialising, advertising or agendas. Just facts. 20p for a single leaf broadsheet daily?

I had forgotten about that. :) I am now having horrible flashbacks. :sad:

I'm unfamiliar with it - could you explain what happened?

No offence, but I'd prefer to let it lie if it's all the same to you. :sad:

Sawdust Caesar

What scam was this?

Chad Sexington
I'm unfamiliar with it - could you explain what happened?

It's not ringing a bell with me either? :sad:

What happened people?

It's not ringing a bell with me either? :sad:

What happened people?

Given the lack of information coming forward probably not much, if anything.

So tried googling to find out about the "scam" since the secret service wont let on what happened. Must have been huge though since only 2 folk can remember.....

Anyways I found this, since I have been out the country for while i need to find out if this is true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6250394.stm

Surely not? Did anyone stil buy it? And can anyone who DOES buy it can you explain why? If its to line the budgie cage then just get the metro!

FWIW I cant stand the news either. Especially the letters page and the bit where they tell the council to "get it fixed" and show broken slabs and lights that are off.

Had to laugh at the poster who said "my mum always looks at the deaths first" My gran does that too!

Given the lack of information coming forward probably not much, if anything.

Surprised no one remembers this, it was a big story at the time, someone was fleeced big time.

Surprised no one remembers this, it was a big story at the time, someone was fleeced big time.

If it is a matter of record then tell us what it was about then!

Chad Sexington
If it is a matter of record then tell us what it was about then!

I certainly cant remember and I was around at the time.

Having said that, I've smoked a few jazz cigarettes since 1990 and my memories not the best. :wacko:

Fleeced? By the Evening News? Or was the EEN fleeced by someone else?

I've lost all respect for it gradually over the last few years. The tabloid style front pages and poor writing style similar to the sister paper the Scotsmans slipping standards. I now buy neither even if I've got a long bus journey home.

With the sport section, jeez don't get me started. Romanov's not exactly being perfect club owner or media darling, but the lack of support from a local paper, lack of investigative journalism and jazzing up of anti-Hearts stories have made me see this newspapers real agenda. When smaller, and boy they are smaller, teams like Hibs get more coverage then you know that the papers agenda is to push them over us and either that they hire Hibs supporting journalists or both of those reasons. Other reasons could be we don't wine and dine certain journalists to drop in nice things about us in their next article *cough Mr Hardie*.

One other little thing thats annoyed me. On the EEN homepage, you noticed the link to the teams main newspage is now below the Hibs one? We are secondary in the EEN's eyes.

Denny Crane
I've lost all respect for it gradually over the last few years. The tabloid style front pages and poor writing style similar to the sister paper the Scotsmans slipping standards. I now buy neither even if I've got a long bus journey home.

With the sport section, jeez don't get me started. Romanov's not exactly being perfect club owner or media darling, but the lack of support from a local paper, lack of investigative journalism and jazzing up of anti-Hearts stories have made me see this newspapers real agenda. When smaller, and boy they are smaller, teams like Hibs get more coverage then you know that the papers agenda is to push them over us and either that they hire Hibs supporting journalists or both of those reasons. Other reasons could be we don't wine and dine certain journalists to drop in nice things about us in their next article *cough Mr Hardie*.

One other little thing thats annoyed me. On the EEN homepage, you noticed the link to the teams main newspage is now below the Hibs one? We are secondary in the EEN's eyes.

That could be due to Hibs having had (for quite some time I may add) - in my own experience it pains me to add - a more outgoing media friendly press office than our good selves. Even during the course of the Pieman/Deans reign our press office were not exactly on the ball so to speak. Even if something went wrong at Easter Road (a player having his collar felt by plod for example) their press office would still give you something to use unlike our own - again, even pre-Romanov - would batten down the hatches if one of our players banged in a hat-trick. De Vries was kept pretty much sheltered when he slammed in those four goals v Hibs. You'd have thought he'd had a stinker the way our press office handled it.

That could be due to Hibs having had (for quite some time I may add) - in my own experience it pains me to add - a more outgoing media friendly press office than our good selves. Even during the course of the Pieman/Deans reign our press office were not exactly on the ball so to speak. Even if something went wrong at Easter Road (a player having his collar felt by plod for example) their press office would still give you something to use unlike our own - again, even pre-Romanov - would batten down the hatches if one of our players banged in a hat-trick. De Vries was kept pretty much sheltered when he slammed in those four goals v Hibs. You'd have thought he'd had a stinker the way our press office handled it.

Well JLV was man of the match...:dribble:

Forgive me for my repetition. I've posted this before as it's a bit of a "bete noire" with me.

It would seem that the main criterion for having a column in the EEN is being a Hib's supporter:- John Gibson , Margot MacDonald, Stuart Lovell, Grant Stott, Brian Menteith etc., etc.

As has been said by others, objectivity in reporting about Hearts is noticeable by its absence.

Archived