VAR ruling on red cards

Hearts1975

On another note as much as we needed to get Snodgrass off that park today and he should have been substituted long ago, the fact that he exited via 2 yellows and then a red is an absolute shocker and another clanger from the ref 

2nd yellow was never a yellow card in a million years and another clanger from the Muppet wearing the black jersey 

This ruling that VAR can only intervene if it's a straight red card is a complete and utter joke.

The stupid cretins that make these rules up didn't stop to even consider the fact that if 2 yellows were given to a player in the same game, and if at least one of them is given incorrectly down to referee incompetence, then surely it's in their interest to review on Var considering they review straight red cards in the interest of fairness to both teams. 

Player gets sent off - review the decision. Player gets sent off but through 2 yellow cards, don't review. 

How folk are actually paid to come up with these incompetent rule sets is beyond me. I would be even more angry if I thought the red card actually changed the game but sadly I think we could have played another 90mins with 11 players today and not scored. However that isn't the point. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Behave.

Snodgrass had to go. 2 clear yellows. 

image.png.550c09ba5bc0872eabc67a2a6811d267.pngMate, does that look like a yellow card to you 

I watched it back a few times on the highlights and it was never ever a yellow card.

One foot tackle, not 2 footed, one leg tucked in, and he clearly took the ball 

Just because he was piss poor on the field shouldn't mean he gets sent off for something like that, and considering we supposedly have var in place to ensure the integrity of the game is improved 

It's a f......joke 

Scott Leitch
11 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

image.png.550c09ba5bc0872eabc67a2a6811d267.pngMate, does that look like a yellow card to you 

I watched it back a few times on the highlights and it was never ever a yellow card.

Just because he was piss poor on the field shouldn't mean he gets sent off for something like that, and considering we supposedly have var in place to ensure the integrity of the game is improved 

It's a f......joke 

Did Rudi spit at Lennon? A.canera shot is deceiving. It's a second yellow all day long. To be honest it made no difference he was like a man down anyway.

4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

On another note as much as we needed to get Snodgrass off that park today and he should have been substituted long ago, the fact that he exited via 2 yellows and then a red is an absolute shocker and another clanger from the ref 

2nd yellow was never a yellow card in a million years and another clanger from the Muppet wearing the black jersey 

This ruling that VAR can only intervene if it's a straight red card is a complete and utter joke.

The stupid cretins that make these rules up didn't stop to even consider the fact that if 2 yellows were given to a player in the same game, and if at least one of them is given incorrectly down to referee incompetence, then surely it's in their interest to review on Var considering they review straight red cards in the interest of fairness to both teams. 

Player gets sent off - review the decision. Player gets sent off but through 2 yellow cards, don't review. 

How folk are actually paid to come up with these incompetent rule sets is beyond me. I would be even more angry if I thought the red card actually changed the game but sadly I think we could have played another 90mins with 11 players today and not scored. However that isn't the point. 

What if the second yellow is correct, but the fist one wasn’t?   Do we review a decision made so much earlier in the game?

10 minutes ago, Paolo said:

What if the second yellow is correct, but the fist one wasn’t?   Do we review a decision made so much earlier in the game?

Don't see why not mate 

Hence in my previous post I mentioned that it hardly happens in a game that a player gets sent off for 2 yellows, so why not review a decision over another 30 seconds, If and when it happens, if it has the potential to affect the whole game 

I mean, how many times would this actually happen in a game. It would be few or far between considering most games that are played end up with 11 players on each team and on the field of play 

hearts @ heart

Just watched the lowlights on sportscene a d he won the ball.

Never a 2nd yellow. 

The  game was lost before that but never a second yellow. 

2 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Did Rudi spit at Lennon? A.canera shot is deceiving. It's a second yellow all day long. To be honest it made no difference he was like a man down anyway.

Camera shots can be deceiving, I take your point, but like I said, I also watched it back a good few times and for me, it wasn't anywhere near a yellow. 

I also agree with your second point, but that's a separate point entirely 

3 minutes ago, hearts @ heart said:

Just watched the lowlights on sportscene a d he won the ball.

Never a 2nd yellow. 

The  game was lost before that but never a second yellow. 

Agree with that entirely 

2 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Also, if you look at the camera shot, his leg is extended, already contacting the ball and gogic is running behind him with no contact from snodgrass. Therefore it cannot be a yellow card. It just can't. 

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Also, if you look at the camera shot, his leg is extended, already contacting the ball and gogic is running behind him with no contact from snodgrass. Therefore it cannot be a yellow card. It just can't. 

It was pretty close to us and we had a very clear view from the other side, lower section S. Snodgrass got the ball clean as a whistle, exactly as seen in the shot. Not a foul, not a yellow. Didn't really miss him though

Thought he got the ball at the time but not seen any tv replays. If so then it's an unfair decision. However, if he's suspended v Hubs as a result then that's a bonus for us. 

18 minutes ago, RobboM said:

It was pretty close to us and we had a very clear view from the other side, lower section S. Snodgrass got the ball clean as a whistle, exactly as seen in the shot. Not a foul, not a yellow. Didn't really miss him though

Just now, brawlad74 said:

Thought he got the ball at the time but not seen any tv replays. If so then it's an unfair decision. However, if he's suspended v Hubs as a result then that's a bonus for us. 

I reckon that if he hadn't had a mare on the park that this stupid var ruling would have came in for more scrutiny. 

I think there is also an element of folk that think we actually played better without him or fundamentally that it would have had made no difference to the overall result if he had stayed on the park

And sadly, with the performance that was served up, who can really blame anyone, especially those who were at the game, for thinking like that 

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

It's a f......joke 

It’s not a f…… joke.

It’s two yellow cards and he was quite rightly sent off. 

SectionDJambo

The referee was a fair distance away from the incident, with no linesman over there to help him. It was a clear situation where help from VAR would have helped. 

That said, an experienced player should have known that going into a tackle like that whilst already on a yellow card was extremely risky.

Diadora Van Basten

Thought it was a second yellow at the match seeing it back the ball changes direction so think he got a block on it.

Folk saying its a yellow need to see it in isolation. We were pish. Snoddy is an issue.

The ref got that wrong.

Diadora Van Basten
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Folk saying its a yellow need to see it in isolation. We were pish. Snoddy is an issue.

The ref got that wrong.

Also thought we should have had a foul at the first goal for a push. Ref had a clear view of it but waved play on.

heisenberg86

Could see he won the ball cleanly from section P, shambles of a decision but we were losing that game regardless 

51 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It’s not a f…… joke.

What was the second yellow card for ?

It can't have been for player contact as he clearly took the ball.

I'll respect your opinion but I don't agree at all 

25 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The ref got that wrong.

Fully agree in terms of looking at it in isolation 

I should have probably said that in the Op as it's an important point 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

What was the second yellow card for ?

It can't have been for player contact as he clearly took the ball.

I'll respect your opinion but I don't agree at all 

For being an arsehole jumping into a tackle like that while already on a yellow card. Touch and go whether he played the ball or not but if that was O’Hara for example doing the same thing on the other side I’d be screaming for a second booking. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

For being an arsehole jumping into a tackle like that while already on a yellow card. Touch and go whether he played the ball or not but if that was O’Hara for example doing the same thing on the other side I’d be screaming for a second booking. 

Just because your on a yellow card it doesn't mean you wander about the park and not tackle. Christ, we are doing well enough at doing that without VAR being in place 

That's a massive part of introducing VAR to the game so you don't get dodgy decisions or lose players for making fair tackles. Otherwise what's the point of having it. 

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It’s not a f…… joke.

It was as never a second yellow but I’m delighted he is suspended for the Derby!

2 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

This still going on 😂

It's 2 yellows. Stupid challenge to make. 

I wish I'd just shut my mouth to be honest and hadn't fingered the keyboard 

Every thread just ends up angry at the moment and this one probably won't be any different 😐

Scott Leitch
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

I wish I'd just shut my mouth to be honest and hadn't fingered the keyboard 

Every thread just ends up angry at the moment and this one probably won't be any different 😐

We all finger something we regret when we're pished mate.

1 minute ago, Scott Leitch said:

We all finger something we regret when we're pished mate.

😂 

10 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

This still going on 😂

It's 2 yellows. Stupid challenge to make. 

You don’t need to agree with someone else’s opinion. 😂 To post 2 or 3 times telling the person so comes across as a bit weird. Move on with your life 😂

Scott Leitch
19 minutes ago, Fejka said:

You don’t need to agree with someone else’s opinion. 😂 To post 2 or 3 times telling the person so comes across as a bit weird. Move on with your life 😂

Thanks for the advice friend. 

The sending off never affected the game, but from where I was sitting, it looked a good tackle. Ref couldn’t wait to get his cards out.  

pettigrewsstylist
9 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Shankland at Easter road, farsical, both cards.

Boyces beard
41 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

As pish as he was it was not touch and go what so ever, every tv replay and angle shown shows he won the ball clean and with his trailing leg tucked in behind him. Even at the match it was clear the tackle was clean and he took the ball.  

RustyRightPeg

Presuming folk know that VAR couldn’t do anything about the second yellow, aye? 

Boyces beard
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Think that is the OP's point mate.

7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Well it's kind of what the op was on about, he thinks that VAR should be able to do something about it.

Did you read the thread, aye?

8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Shankland at Easter road, farsical, both cards.

It was indeed 

If it hadn't been for the fact that A/ we were pumping them at the time B/ Toby just ran right up the park and stuck it in the net C/ it was right at the end of the game and D/ we would have beat them with 9 men that day ...... It would have been a feckin riot 

It's been an utter disaster since being introduced 

Only in Scotland could they take a supposed full proof system and f... It right up 

Pasquale for King

Harsh second yellow. 
Also If you handle the ball and score the goal is chalked off, the ball definitely touched Mains arm on the way through.

Neither decision was going to change the result though. 
The VAR refs are trying not to change decisions that make refs look bad, which isn’t the point of having the system. 

SM Sheffield

I said this in his contract thread but Snodgrass sliding in on a yellow was completely unnecessary. If you do that you are always giving the referee an opportunity to send you off and even worse it was in an area of the pitch where he did not have to make that kind of challenge. Being a senior pro he should have the nous and footballing intelligence to know that. It was reckless and totally stupid. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Hopefully we don't appeal 

We can’t anyway, not two yellows

18 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Hopefully we don't appeal 

Don't think you can appeal yellows.

I think he won the ball too tbh.

pettigrewsstylist
8 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It was indeed 

If it hadn't been for the fact that A/ we were pumping them at the time B/ Toby just ran right up the park and stuck it in the net C/ it was right at the end of the game and D/ we would have beat them with 9 men that day ...... It would have been a feckin riot 

It's been an utter disaster since being introduced 

Only in Scotland could they take a supposed full proof system and f... It right up 

Luckily we had Hamilton up next tho.

3 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

I said this in his contract thread but Snodgrass sliding in on a yellow was completely unnecessary. If you do that you are always giving the referee an opportunity to send you off and even worse it was in an area of the pitch where he did not have to make that kind of challenge. Being a senior pro he should have the nous and footballing intelligence to know that. It was reckless and totally stupid. 

I get what you are saying but surely with having it in place it no longer means that we have to accept the refs decision and specifically where he has ****ed it up 

It's a quick change to the ruling system but they have this stupid rule where they won't review a sending off based on it being 2 yellows as opposed to a straight red 

If the outcome is the same why review for one and not the other 

That was my initial point of contention 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

He knew he wasn’t catching him in a foot race but even if they could look at it they could say he took the man after getting the ball which is a foul these days and probably a yellow where the ball was on the pitch.

pettigrewsstylist
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Harsh second yellow. 
Also If you handle the ball and score the goal is chalked off, the ball definitely touched Mains arm on the way through.

Neither decision was going to change the result though. 
The VAR refs are trying not to change decisions that make refs look bad, which isn’t the point of having the system. 

They are indeed. In fact i wonder if straight reds will be avoided by refs now, if they can, and just dish a 2nd yellow if option available. Tactical card use. W***er Walker grassed them up, but we all knew.

pettigrewsstylist

Option should exist for restrospective removal of card. Merits outweigh dangers IMO.

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Don't think you can appeal yellows.

I think he won the ball too tbh.

You can't appeal yellows for a sending off is my understanding as well.

Another crazy rule imo considering they now have the technology to at least review the appeals whereas they didn't have it in the past.