Western Australia

ri Alban

Western Australia looking to take all our striking Nurses, Teachers and all other fields to live and work there. 

50% higher pay for most, and great weather.  What's not to like.

Pity I'm an old barsteward , or I'd give it a go.  

Sorry nae link, but it sounds a great chance for the young team to GTF out of dodge.

Any Aussie residents know more about it and can fill us all in properly, thanks. 

You could do the airport shuttle service...don't have an accident though, nobody here to mend you...:wink:

Edited by OBE

John Findlay

I dunno. I've just had a 64yr old oppo and his wife emigrate to Perth in January this year. He has got himself a job.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Western Australia looking to take all our striking Nurses, Teachers and all other fields to live and work there. 

Sorry nae link, but it sounds a great chance for the young team to GTF out of dodge.

Any Aussie residents know more about it and can fill us all in properly, thanks. 

Great opportunity for you, they must need Porters and Janitors plus the fact it would give us all a bit of peace and quite round here!

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

We can all start a crowd fund page and send you there ? As long as you can’t use the internet ? 😎 win / win . 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, allyby said:

Great opportunity for you, they must need Porters and Janitors plus the fact it would give us all a bit of peace and quite round here!

Great minds and all 😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I dunno. I've just had a 64yr old oppo and his wife emigrate to Perth in January this year. He has got himself a job.

What’s an “ Oppo? 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, allyby said:

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

We can all start a crowd fund page and send you there ? As long as you can’t use the internet ? 😎 win / win . 

Oofft, get them Docs polished!

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I,m a leading member of WANK(Western Australia National Krowd) You could come and help us at WANK,At WANK we all pull together, Freedom from Melbourne !

Edited by systemx

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, allyby said:

He would still be on kickback lol.

Lone Striker

At last.....a Brexit opportunity.

th?id=OIP.D4N81fo_cnNNEheWxgK7FAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0

Feather in this gy's cap, surely

Japan Jambo

Perhaps they could fence a bit off and you could do a unilateral declaration of independence? 😁

2 hours ago, allyby said:

Australia nae internet?

38 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

He would still be on kickback lol.

Janitor and porter, suppose that's a bit too much skill for him. 

Edited by ri Alban

22 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Perhaps they could fence a bit off and you could do a unilateral declaration of independence? 😁

Perth the capital. Sounds good.

Wages might be a bit higher but costs are higher too.

Perth is great but it’s very expensive - it’s also the most isolated city in the world.  No cheeky wee weekends away in London or Amsterdam or Dublin etc.  Adelaide’s a four hour flight, Melbourne & Sydney another hour further.  Friends in Perth went skiing in Queenstown NZ - Eight hours in a plane.

I looked into it about 25 years ago and the places they were offering were in tiny little outback towns in the middle of absolutely nowhere.  Maybe different now.

Edited by FWJ

That thing you do
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Theres a caveat to this as someone who got registered professionally in Oz but decided not to go in the end.

WA is huge, sparse and hot. WA does not mean working in Perth. Many professions will find rural posts and incentivise / insist you start there.

I was applying to Queensland and what was offered was 250 miles awsy from the nearest airport in tropical forest.

Yes, once youve done it, you can then have choice, but its bloody hard work and a hard sell for a family.

If folk are getting nursing in Perth, Fremantle Bunbury  or towards the south coast. Do it. Amazing places and potential lifestyle. If the mining community hospital 1500km north of perth in the outback...good luck..

Edited by That thing you do

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Wages might be a bit higher but costs are higher too.

Perth is great but it’s very expensive - it’s also the most isolated city in the world.  No cheeky wee weekends away in London or Amsterdam or Dublin etc.  Adelaide’s a four hour flight, Melbourne & Sydney another hour further.  Friends in Perth went skiing in Queenstown NZ - Eight hours in a plane.

I looked into it about 25 years ago and the places they were offering were in tiny little outback towns in the middle of absolutely nowhere.  Maybe different now.

Still the case apart from exceptional circumstances, like a need or a particular skillset.

33 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Theres a caveat to this as someone who got registered professionally in Oz but decided not to go in the end.

WA is huge, sparse and hot. WA does not mean working in Perth. Many professions will find rural posts and incentivise / insist you start there.

I was applying to Queensland and what was offered was 250 miles awsy from the nearest airport in tropical forest.

Yes, once youve done it, you can then have choice, but its bloody hard work and a hard sell for a family.

If folk are getting nursing in Perth, Fremantle Bunbury  or towards the south coast. Do it. Amazing places and potential lifestyle. If the mining community hospital 1500km north of perth in the outback...good luck..

Some brilliant places North of Perth but they are miles away and pretty isolated, apart from that.

:spoton: 

joondalupjambo

Been there, done it and came back to the best place in the world.  WA is a boom and bust state where if things go well, I e. China keep wanting iron ore for example everyone benefits due to drip down economics.  ( You know the thing the Tory boys talk about all the time.) However when China says nah dinny need much then WA slows right down and things get tough.  That said what a place to live and bring kids up.  We went later in life, 43 and 46 and the plan was stay for a while but come back.  Everything worked to plan.

Trades guys who want to work for themselves, or are in certain trades going need to be careful because WA does not recognise many of the qualifications gained here. When you arrive you need to do top up courses which of course cost.  At the same time you are not earning either at all or the higher salaries.  Then tax is higher, you have to think about private health care, private dental care, even the comprehensive schools have costs you need to pay.  House prices at the moment are through the roof due to the demand.  We sold our house for around 600k dollars and ones in the suburb are now pushing 800k.  The suburbs where houses are cheaper are so far from anything you will need two cars for sure.  Why are WA coming here for labour?  Australia is full of folk but one reason they are here is because other Aussies find Perth too expensive so stay put.  Oh and as has been said above it is very, very isolated so the costs associated withing going anywhere even holidays in the same state are extremely costly.

However all that said and done, and no matter how hard the first couple of years were to get established it was a superb place to live.  The beach lifestyle, the housing, the sporting facilities, the standard of food and drink, the higher quality of stuff in the supermarkets and the more modern, clean surroundings are all hugely attractive.  If I had a young family and a trade I would be there in a heart beat again.

Try looking at a website called Poms in Perth and in that you get a lot of good information.  PM me if you need anything more specific.

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Margaret River is my when-I-win-the-lottery place.

Mine was Eagle Bay, a class level or three up than The River😄

10 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Margaret River is my when-I-win-the-lottery place.

It's braw right enough but let down somewhat by the fact that the tosser Ben Elton lives there.

(At least he did when I was there)

12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Been there, done it and came back to the best place in the world.  WA is a boom and bust state where if things go well, I e. China keep wanting iron ore for example everyone benefits due to drip down economics.  ( You know the thing the Tory boys talk about all the time.) However when China says nah dinny need much then WA slows right down and things get tough.  That said what a place to live and bring kids up.  We went later in life, 43 and 46 and the plan was stay for a while but come back.  Everything worked to plan.

Trades guys who want to work for themselves, or are in certain trades going need to be careful because WA does not recognise many of the qualifications gained here. When you arrive you need to do top up courses which of course cost.  At the same time you are not earning either at all or the higher salaries.  Then tax is higher, you have to think about private health care, private dental care, even the comprehensive schools have costs you need to pay.  House prices at the moment are through the roof due to the demand.  We sold our house for around 600k dollars and ones in the suburb are now pushing 800k.  The suburbs where houses are cheaper are so far from anything you will need two cars for sure.  Why are WA coming here for labour?  Australia is full of folk but one reason they are here is because other Aussies find Perth too expensive so stay put.  Oh and as has been said above it is very, very isolated so the costs associated withing going anywhere even holidays in the same state are extremely costly.

However all that said and done, and no matter how hard the first couple of years were to get established it was a superb place to live.  The beach lifestyle, the housing, the sporting facilities, the standard of food and drink, the higher quality of stuff in the supermarkets and the more modern, clean surroundings are all hugely attractive.  If I had a young family and a trade I would be there in a heart beat again.

Try looking at a website called Poms in Perth and in that you get a lot of good information.  PM me if you need anything more specific.

This is the guy that kens 👍

J.T.F.Robertson

Never been out there but have a cousin (big Hearts' man) and his family live in Rockingham which is around 40 miles south of Perth and absolutely loves it.

They have 2 or 3 hairdressing shops along with a lovely hoose. Lived in Oxgangs before they moved around 15 or so years ago.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, The Gorgie said:

If they need a bin lorry driver im game.

If you a HGV licence they may need big vehicle drivers for the mines or possibly for their road trains.  Never think you are not needed 👍

55 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

If you a HGV licence they may need big vehicle drivers for the mines or possibly for their road trains.  Never think you are not needed 👍

I've got a family member over there that runs a very successful construction company. He has asked me over to work for him before. Not going to lie im a shite bag. My son is 2 next month im not sure I could pull him away from all the family. Not sure I could go out there and not see my mum or dad for years at a time. Would love to experience it but it's a massive change of life. And despite the fact they stress me out most weeks, id miss following the Hearts 😂

joondalupjambo
43 minutes ago, The Gorgie said:

I've got a family member over there that runs a very successful construction company. He has asked me over to work for him before. Not going to lie im a shite bag. My son is 2 next month im not sure I could pull him away from all the family. Not sure I could go out there and not see my mum or dad for years at a time. Would love to experience it but it's a massive change of life. And despite the fact they stress me out most weeks, id miss following the Hearts 😂

Being honest about yourself is part of the journey.  The fear of moving, the missing of family and all you love is all part of what is a massive decision.  It is not like moving home a hundred miles away in Scotland.  WA is 9000 miles away and some folk are there for only weeks before they realise the mistake they have made.  Point is it is not for everyone.  Also the timing has to be right.  And no matter how much you gain financially, how nice a house you have, how big your pool is and how much sun there is can you honestly beat a pint with your mates and going to a derby 😄😄👍

joondalupjambo

I put costs of houses in a post earlier, the 600k and 800k I noted was Aussie dollars which is roughly 1.6 to the pound. Here is the go to website for housing, renting and buying in WA.  Well worth a look even just for the dreams.

www.reiwa.com.au

Edited by joondalupjambo

The only research I've done on Western Australia is on the Girls Out West website, bits of it looks mighty attractive. 

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, graygo said:

It's braw right enough but let down somewhat by the fact that the tosser Ben Elton lives there.

(At least he did when I was there)

When I lived in Perth he was living in Fremantle and he used to drink in Little Creatures.  I suspect that with his wealth he had a place in Margaret River as well perhaps as a Weekender?

25 years ago australia and canada were both looked at as quality places to live now they are both dystopian hellholes unless you can find the right spot way out the way in a quiet area 

3 minutes ago, Masonic said:

25 years ago australia and canada were both looked at as quality places to live now they are both dystopian hellholes unless you can find the right spot way out the way in a quiet area 

Dystopian hellholes? What nonsense. 

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Private dental care isn't a problem, I'm terrified of dentists and don't go near them.

See them pics of gum disease you see on fag packets now, thats my teeth.  Had a wee drink this afternoon then a snooze and my shoogly front tooth had vanished when I woke. Searched the couch and floor for it with no returns. In the words of Mrs S "it'll come back to bite me on the bum"

8 hours ago, Masonic said:

:rofl:

Guessing you were either drunk or on some sort of drugs when you wrote that. 

Jeez, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

John Gentleman

A lot of younger (mainly) males work FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) in Western Australia's remote Pilbara mining region. It's hot, dusty, isolated and boring -- but the money on offer is brilliant. A lot of them work 3/4 years there, then go home with a big fat wedge of money to buy a house with, or at least a make a hefty deposit. A bit like the rigs in Scotland, I guess, when oil and gas were booming.

Interesting factoid: when I bought my first home here (1984) the full cost (house+land) was about 3.5 times my then annual income. Now, that ratio is about 10 times annual income. The cost of housing here is unreal, though it's been coming down at a fair clip in the last year or so. And finding a decent rental is like trying to win the lottery. The government's looking to bring in 300,000 migrants a year. I've nae feckin idea where they plan to house them all.... 

Captain Sausage

Just been offered a role in Perth. Would have jumped at it had the Mrs not taken a big job in London 3 months ago. Timing is everything!

16 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

When I lived in Perth he was living in Fremantle and he used to drink in Little Creatures.  I suspect that with his wealth he had a place in Margaret River as well perhaps as a Weekender?

Found this while looking.

"Elton, who has split his time between Fremantle and Margaret River for more than 30 years, said the same summit would have been necessary if Labor had won the recent federal election."

But more importantly I also found this. ❤️

Ben Elton is married to Australian saxophonist Sophie Gare. The pair met in 1986 when the comedian toured Down Under with Rik Mayall in their show, 'A Night of Stand Up Comedy'. At the time, Sophie was part of a girl group named The Jam Tarts, who were booked as the comedy duo's support act. 

Selkirk_Jambo
20 hours ago, That thing you do said:

I worked up on a mine site in the Pilbara with the amazing name Woodie Woodie. Absolutely insane experience. Has to be one of the most inhospitable places on the planet but I would jump at the chance to to back. Money was superb and they have to make it as a comfy as possible to get anyone up.  

It's the sort of place you can't really get your head around until you're there. Regular temps of 50+, 400ks from the nearest town of any size, mental wildlife. I was out at the airport one time and thermometer read as 55.3 celsius, which is damned close to the hottest temp ever recorded on the planet. There were massive lizards wandering around called Bungarras but you'd be fairly happy to see them because, if they were there, there was a good chance that they had eaten all the snakes in the area. I guess they missed the massive King Brown which wandered past me one night, nearly causing me to drop some fruit in my loom.

Western Australia in general is a great place, though I was fairly happy to leave in the end. As mentioned above, the wages are great but the cost of living there is staggering and, outside of the main population centres, it's like travelling back in time with some of the attitudes. If you get a good job and settled though, it's got a lot going for it.

14 hours ago, Daktari said:

I'm sure it's lovely, but there's a lot to be said for midges and drizzle......

Sorry but FECK THAT!!!

Unknown user
Just now, jonesy said:

Burn the whole country to the ground and make sure the spiders are dealt with. 

Napalm then, so those ones that hide in the ground and jump at your face get ****ed up too. They can't be the only ones left, we need hot death seeping down, literal scorched earth.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Found this while looking.

"Elton, who has split his time between Fremantle and Margaret River for more than 30 years, said the same summit would have been necessary if Labor had won the recent federal election."

But more importantly I also found this. ❤️

Ben Elton is married to Australian saxophonist Sophie Gare. The pair met in 1986 when the comedian toured Down Under with Rik Mayall in their show, 'A Night of Stand Up Comedy'. At the time, Sophie was part of a girl group named The Jam Tarts, who were booked as the comedy duo's support act. 

Ah thought that would be the tie between the two places, Freo and MR two great places to have homes in.

Never knew about the wife's ties and the JT's link.  Well found.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

A lot of younger (mainly) males work FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) in Western Australia's remote Pilbara mining region. It's hot, dusty, isolated and boring -- but the money on offer is brilliant. A lot of them work 3/4 years there, then go home with a big fat wedge of money to buy a house with, or at least a make a hefty deposit. A bit like the rigs in Scotland, I guess, when oil and gas were booming.

Interesting factoid: when I bought my first home here (1984) the full cost (house+land) was about 3.5 times my then annual income. Now, that ratio is about 10 times annual income. The cost of housing here is unreal, though it's been coming down at a fair clip in the last year or so. And finding a decent rental is like trying to win the lottery. The government's looking to bring in 300,000 migrants a year. I've nae feckin idea where they plan to house them all.... 

Spot on.  I was thinking the Government want to fill all spare land with houses between Butler and Yanchep in the north and then between Secret Harbour and as far as they can to somewhere south of Mandurah.  If they can get folk working then building as you know could be the cheapest option to buy a house.  Mind you it pretty much always was when we were there.  However as you know building and living in a brand new house a good bit from anywhere can be tough.