When giving out your mobile number, how do you say it?

Mr Sifter

Inspired by a conversation on a group chat I’m on (yup, sometimes it gets really rock n roll🤪).  Your mobile is an eleven digit number, how do you say it? (Number below purely made up for illustration purposes)

The correct way is 4 3 4 surely? 0778 451 6226. I’ve always done it this way as it was largely I n keeping with your hoose landline number (3 4).

Got mates insisting it’s 5 3 3. 07784 516 226. They’re wrong. 

Even got a deviant who’s insisting it should be 3 4 2 2. 077 8451 62 26 WTF?!!

Thought it was worthy of debate…very slow news day eh 😳😊

Just now, Locky said:

Always a 5-3-3 formation. The 5-3-3 though is really a 3-3-3 when you think about it, as the 07 is a given in the UK. Simple for everyone.

Between this admission, and the fact you used to be a parking warden…you’re a wrong un Locky. Definately 😋👍🏼

8 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Between this admission, and the fact you used to be a parking warden…you’re a wrong un Locky. Definately 😋👍🏼

:lol: I could provide you more ammo, but I'll save that for another day. Although I'm sure some certain posters will be along to do it for me. :ninja: 

4-3-4  but that's because the last two parts are easier to remember that way, along the lines of 515-2202. I might do it another way with a different number.

jack D and coke

I’ve listened to people reading my own number back to me in 4–3-4 format and I don’t recognise it🤪
5-3-3 is the way civilised people do it. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Inspired by a conversation on a group chat I’m on (yup, sometimes it gets really rock n roll🤪).  Your mobile is an eleven digit number, how do you say it? (Number below purely made up for illustration purposes)

The correct way is 4 3 4 surely? 0778 451 6226. I’ve always done it this way as it was largely I n keeping with your hoose landline number (3 4).

3 3 2 3

I P Knightley

2-3-3-3

The 2 is a given, so get that out the way "07"

Cognitive studies confirm that the average person will find it easier to work with data given in blocks of 3 so, given there are nine numbers that matter to remember, three blocks of three digits are going to sink in easier with most people.

Then, instead of it being a couple of figures that are in their 'thousands', it's three numbers in their hundreds.

One hundred and eighty seven

Nine hundred and sixty six

Four hundred and twenty eight

187 966 428

Easier to commit to memory than

Eighteen thousand, seven hundred and ninety six

Six thousand, four hundred and twenty eight

18796 6428

And then all you goons that include the 07 in the formation? You must be giving your number to some right drongos if they need telt that.

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve listened to people reading my own number back to me in 4–3-4 format and I don’t recognise it🤪

:biglaugh:

Same here - I ask them to repeat it but slowly. And it's my own feckin' number!!

55 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Ignore my response 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Same here . What’s that about ? It’s rather odd . 

5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s how I do it . The “ correct “ way. Hate if people read it back me another way . 

Oh wait I’ve just tried it again and I do it this way 

999 999 999 99 

so mine is 3 3  3 2 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I can't even think of my phone number unless I say it in format 07000 11 22 33 with each number said individually. 

The actual numbers just rattle off very easily in that format. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Always a 5-3-3 formation. The 5-3-3 though is really a 3-3-3 when you think about it, as the 07 is a given in the UK. Simple for everyone.

This was the most :spoton: answer.

26 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

2-3-3-3

Cognitive studies confirm that the average person will find it easier to work with data given in blocks of 3 so, given there are nine numbers that matter to remember, three blocks of three digits are going to sink in easier with most people.

Then, instead of it being a couple of figures that are in their 'thousands', it's three numbers in their hundreds.

Until this one appeared.

And if you're giving it internationally...it'll have to be +44 4 3 3 (if a UK-assigned number).

55 minutes ago, redjambo said:

5-6. For example, 07123 456789.

Anyone who says otherwise is a deviant.

Looking increasingly the case that it's me who is the deviant. :D I assumed most folk did it the same way I do, i.e. 5-6 (I don't get many people giving me their numbers).

I,m a Mobile Base Station Telecoms engineer who has worked on the building,maintaining and repair of the mobile networks since the 90s(still have my original number).

It is 5-3-3 ,close thread!

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

2-3-3-3

187 966 428

18796 6428

And then all you goons that include the 07 in the formation? You must be giving your number to some right drongos if they need telt that.

Is the correct way 👍

Nope - you're all WRONG !!  😉

3-3-2-3 is the future.    2 attacking midfielders just behind the front 3.   

Its the formation I'd want the other person to use when giving me their number - my brain can't cope with most other formations.  😏

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

5-3-3. 
I'm not an animal. 

Hang on a minute, I'm wrong. After saying it to myself all the way back from going to the sandwich shop I realise I actually say 2-3-3-3

5 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Your mates are bang on, anything else is just plain wiggo behaviour!

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

2-3-3-3

187 966 428

18796 6428

:spoton: