Laszlos reign gets off to flat start

Dazo

Scotsmans report.

NEW Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo got his Tynecastle tenure off to an uninspiring start last night as his team drew 1-1 with Irish Premiership part-timers Glentoran in Belfast.

Playing for the Umbro Cup, Glentoran actually won the game on penalties after Saulius Mikoliunas had put Hearts in front, only for the visitors to be pegged back by the right foot of 19-year-old student Ryan Berry late in the game.

But Laszlo insists his own experience of pre-season matches has shown they mean little when a new campaign starts.

He said: "At my last club, we lost all our pre-season games and, when it came round to the league, we won our first six matches in a row. That doesn't mean I go out not to win games ? it just means not to take too much notice of pre-season games.

"It is about trying to get concentration levels and fitness levels higher, and working with different formations. I want the team to be able to play two or three different formations and it will take a little time for them to do that."

Indeed, Laszlo put an early stamp on his new side by sending them out in a somewhat unusual formation. Playing with a 4-2-3-1, the Hungarian showed he at least is not afraid to try something a little different.

Ruben Palazuelos and Eggert Jonsson played in a holding role just in front of the back four with Mikoliunas, Michael Stewart and Andrew Driver ahead of them in the middle of the park. Gary Glen was given the task of finding a way past the home defence on his own.

The new Hearts manager, however, has called for leadership across the team.

Laszlo said: "I want the players to shout more. I have plenty of leaders and experienced players, but they need to talk more."

Just five minutes into Laszlo's reign, the visitors were in front when Mikoliunas turned and chipped into the top corner from 20 yards out, catching goalkeeper Elliott Morris off guard.

While Hearts were dominant, the Belfast side were a decent test and two minutes after his side went behind, Dean Fitzgerald struck the ball just wide.

Hearts were producing some neat football, sliding the ball around the impeccable surface and controlled most of the play. But Laszlo replaced Driver with Kestutis Ivaskevicius, such was the tenacity of some challenges.

Lee Wallace had Hearts' first real opportunity after the break when he followed up a great run down the left flank with a powerful shot which flew wide.

Hearts were guilty of a lapse in concentration after the hour mark, though, when Jason Thomson tried to play the ball across the face of goal, only for David Scullion to steal in unchallenged 12 yards from goal. Thomson's blushes were saved as goalkeeper Anthony Basso came to the rescue with a block.

But on 72 minutes the home side drew level when Berry's long-range drive nestled in the corner of Basso's goal, leaving the game to be decided on penalties, with Craig Sives missing Hearts' final spot-kick.

Glentoran: Morris, Nixon, Ward, Johnny Taylor, Hill, Boyce, Fordyce, Fitzgerald, Neill, Hamilton, Halliday. Subs: James Taylor, Simpson, Scullion, Carson, Berry, McGovern, Bowers, McMenamin, Burrows, Ferguson.

Hearts: Banks, Thomson, Karipidis, Zaliukis, Wallace, Palazuelos, Jonsson, Mikoliunas, Stewart, Driver, Glenn. Subs: Ivaskevicius, Basso, Doherty, Kelly, Screpis, Elliot, Sives.

Hearts' 16-year-old striker Scott Robinson, who became the club's youngest first-team player in April when he came on against Inverness, has been given a three-year professional contract.

Dirk Diggler

Strange as it may sound, Despite the thread title :P, I?m actually pretty happy having read that.

maroonlegions
Strange as it may sound, Despite the thread title :P, I?m actually pretty happy having read that.

,,title thread , what do we expect from the hobosman eh.;) but agree some good points in that report, dominant,neat football.:)

Friendly or not this score was a discgrace!!!

I hope it isnot a sign of things to come

a 19 year old STUDENT scored against us

If its a disgrace for us to draw 1-1 in our first pre season friendly then Imagine what Dundee Utd should be doing to themselves, they may aswell drive the team bus off a bridge losing 2-1 to UCD.

Its a pre-season friendly meant to get match sharpness and fitness back. It was a mix of youth, first team and reserve junk!

Maybe best reserve judgement to a more competitive game like Hull a week befor ethe season starts.

I hope your post is more sarcasm than anything els.

Your as bad as the Hibs fans taking the **** out of us for drawing. Its pre-season - who cares, its a time for testing and tinkering.

Rudolf's Mate

It's not strange at all mate. The report read very well and it looks like Shaba was protecting players (taking off Driver) as the tackles seemed to be flying in!

Anyone jumping off the deepend over this result needs their head examined.

As far as I am concerned. I will be worrying after 5 or 6 games into the new season! Not before!

In the highlights we actually created a lot of chances and the movement in some of the moves looked really good.All in all not to bad for the first pre season gamei would say.

I love the Scotsman's attempts to make it SOUND like a bad result.

Other than the first couple of paragraph's where the journalistic emphasis is on the part time status of our opponents and the fact a 19 yeard old student scored against us..... the actual factual bits i.e the quotes etc are pretty positive.

gowestjambo

[quote=J Anyone jumping off the deepend over this result needs their head examined.

As far as I am concerned. I will be worrying after 5 or 6 games into the new season! Not before!

Great 5 or 6 games before the worrying starts! Remember this squad of players ended last season with one of the clubs most disgraceful results in our history (away defeat to now defunct Gretna!")

Is it any wonder if the same team can not beat another bunch of Irish part timers?

Unless there is an immediate improvement to the team, we wont have to wait long before the need to worry is upon us!

Can't believe people on here are getting so worked up over pre-season games. Remember us setting the heather on fire over in Ireland under Burley? Nope, me neither.

I was in Dublin for George Burley's first game in charge. We had Wyness and Weir up front (until Weir broke his leg) and no Webster as Rangers had tapped him up. If anyone had told me after that game we would have finished the season in second place I would have p!ssed myself laughing.

It seems that after one game our new manager knows what type of player he wants in and what positions need fixed. Can we not just let him get on with it??

The ball will be back in Vlad's court soon no doubt as it will be up to him to get the players in that the manager wants and bin the ones he wants rid off.

Dirk Diggler
Can't believe people on here are getting so worked up over pre-season games.

I can.:o

Remember us setting the heather on fire over in Ireland under Burley? Nope, me neither.

Well how dare you.

How dare you try and compare anything Burley done with anything that is happening this pre season.:mad:

sandy hearts

i thought they played summer football over there?if thats the case theyll be fa more match fit and sharp and its understandable that any top team could be beat by them

Jambof3tornado

I am hoping for a decent performance v dunfy tomorrow night,but the press were always going to make the glentoran game sounnd duff. If we have won 10 nil they would have been useless part timers so we could never win with the papers.:)

Ryan Gosling

We should beat Dunfy comfortably tomorrow.

I mean they have Kevin *****ing Harper playing for them.

LarrysRightFoot

I watched the highlights and it looked like a really good work out for the team. Glentoran are well ahead of us in terms of fitness and sharpness, they have a european game on thursday. We only started using the ball in training on friday or saturday!

Its a friendly for goodness sake. Our first pre-season friendly! Why on earth is anyone getting worked up?

If you watch the highlights you will we played some nice passing football and made a lot of chances. There was a couple of terrible passing along the back four but as I say its only a friendly and as we all know the team is very much a work in progress in term of formations, tactics and personell.

Jimmy McNulty

Just cos he's a student, it doesn't mean he's not a decent player.

Great 5 or 6 games before the worrying starts! Remember this squad of players ended last season with one of the clubs most disgraceful results in our history (away defeat to now defunct Gretna!")

Is it any wonder if the same team can not beat another bunch of Irish part timers?

Unless there is an immediate improvement to the team, we wont have to wait long before the need to worry is upon us!

I can't see us doing very much this season for that very reason, it will take us 5 or 6 games to even properly evaluate the squad, try out new players, systems etc. That's why waiting for a manager until now has been so costly, had we managed to get in someone earlier we could have played around with the team in the last few games.

Anyone hoping for a sudden turnaround and for us to be challenging the OF might end up being disappointed, we will have to be patient and look to rebuilding Hearts.

Steve Heighway..?

Only a Game
I love the Scotsman's attempts to make it SOUND like a bad result.

If you look at it just as a result, it was a bad one.

Perhaps we shouldn't look at it that way then. It was no more than a training session really. Almost the first time they had touched a ball this pre-season.

A new system, a new manager etc etc blah blah blah.

Its good that A. Csaba has identified already where the problems are and B. He's not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes and he's coming out and telling it how it is.

The next stage is for Romanov to back him with what he needs.

Archived