• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Cade

• Ray Gin

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

On itv news a wee lad 8 years old pulled out of rubble . His mum and sister are alive but his dad and brother are dead . Poor wee soul , least he’s alive . 

11 thousand people is tragic as **** I love turkey and the Turkish people are some of the nicest people you’ll ever know. 

On 07/02/2023 at 02:59, Victorian said:

Not sure.  Lateral slip I think.  But apparently the energy was very high at the surface compared to most earthquakes.

WHY WAS IT SO SEVERE?

The East Anatolian Fault is a strike-slip fault.

In those, solid rock plates are pushing up against each other across a vertical fault line, building stress until one finally slips in a horizontal motion, releasing a tremendous amount of strain that can trigger an earthquake.

The San Andreas Fault in California is perhaps the world's most famous strike-slip fault, with scientists warning that a catastrophic quake is long overdue.

Full article https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/why-was-turkey-syria-earthquake-so-bad-2023-02-06/

That thing you do

Terrible situation and heart goes out.

In Mexico, weve had our share of these 1985 2017 2019 being particularly bad and as strong as this one.

The building regulations were changed after 1985 which means new structures are built to withstand these events.

My hope is Turkey starts the same process of building improvement so this cant happen again.

RIP to the victims

19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

WHY WAS IT SO SEVERE?

The East Anatolian Fault is a strike-slip fault.

In those, solid rock plates are pushing up against each other across a vertical fault line, building stress until one finally slips in a horizontal motion, releasing a tremendous amount of strain that can trigger an earthquake.

The San Andreas Fault in California is perhaps the world's most famous strike-slip fault, with scientists warning that a catastrophic quake is long overdue.

Full article https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/why-was-turkey-syria-earthquake-so-bad-2023-02-06/

I don't recall ever seeing a major earthquake causing catastrophic building collapse over such a vast area.  The scale is immense.  It may well be partly due to susceptible building construction of course.

I tend to suspect that the daily trajectory of the rising death toll,  allied to the scale of devastation that can't all be searched immediately,  indicates that it has quite a bit further to climb.  I can see this ultimately going north of 40,000 / 50,000.

It's also becoming more and more apparent that the affected region can't be restored very quickly.  The sheer scale of destroyed buildings will surely take many years to rebuild.  A hell of a lot of people will be displaced for a long time or permanently.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't recall ever seeing a major earthquake causing catastrophic building collapse over such a vast area.  The scale is immense.  It may well be partly due to susceptible building construction of course.

I tend to suspect that the daily trajectory of the rising death toll,  allied to the scale of devastation that can't all be searched immediately,  indicates that it has quite a bit further to climb.  I can see this ultimately going north of 40,000 / 50,000.

It's also becoming more and more apparent that the affected region can't be restored very quickly.  The sheer scale of destroyed buildings will surely take many years to rebuild.  A hell of a lot of people will be displaced for a long time or permanently.

I have been reading that there were building regulations stipulating earthquake resistance, but the regulations are either laxly enforced or in many cases not at all.

I doubt many more survivors will be found it being winter and all, 72 hours in winter temperatures and perhaps injured is something many will succumb to. I expect there are as you say many thousands more still buried. The dogs will find them eventually.

That thing you do
24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I have been reading that there were building regulations stipulating earthquake resistance, but the regulations are either laxly enforced or in many cases not at all.

I doubt many more survivors will be found it being winter and all, 72 hours in winter temperatures and perhaps injured is something many will succumb to. I expect there are as you say many thousands more still buried. The dogs will find them eventually.

Yep. Same as 85 in Mexico. Corruption and corner cutting and no enforcement of regulations. They will be forced to rethink given the magnitude of this. And I agree, these towns will take years to put bsck together and in meantime, peopke will likely leave and many wont return.

14 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Yep. Same as 85 in Mexico. Corruption and corner cutting and no enforcement of regulations. They will be forced to rethink given the magnitude of this. And I agree, these towns will take years to put bsck together and in meantime, peopke will likely leave and many wont return.

To be true I don't know if you would expect much to be still standing after a quake of such magnitude even if the buildings had met regulatory standard. But looking at damage photos some of these big buildings look to have almost disintegrated.

Perhaps even if it's going to come down something within regulatory standard may go in a more survivable manner than just pancaking right down to the ground..

That thing you do
18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

To be true I don't know if you would expect much to be still standing after a quake of such magnitude even if the buildings had met regulatory standard. But looking at damage photos some of these big buildings look to have almost disintegrated.

Perhaps even if it's going to come down something within regulatory standard may go in a more survivable manner than just pancaking right down to the ground..

This is the difference

Modern regulated sways. The older stuff is in the dust from collapsing. Theres a collapse shown up close too here in this video.

Historic buildings are shored as well usually.

Of course magnitude, depth, epicentre all play a part and mexico invested in an early warning system which gives 30s to 2mins to get out as well.

The Turkey situation is worse as its a provincial area where regs are ignored 

Huge effort going on here in Didim, passed main mosque yesterday and people everywhere unloading Van's etc.

Over 200 displaced arrived here now.

Heard some of the trapped were phoning for help, awful nightmare.

highlandjambo3
46 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Huge effort going on here in Didim, passed main mosque yesterday and people everywhere unloading Van's etc.

Over 200 displaced arrived here now.

Heard some of the trapped were phoning for help, awful nightmare.

Stay safe, Hope you and your closest are all well…..lots of small steps makes a long journey…….don’t know what else to say….🥲

41 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Stay safe, Hope you and your closest are all well…..lots of small steps makes a long journey…….don’t know what else to say….🥲

Cheers opposite end but we do get tremors at times that shake the buildings.

_128583818_mediaitem128583817.jpg

Thousands of people have offered to adopt the baby girl who was born under the rubble of a collapsed building in north-west Syria, following Monday's earthquake.

When she was rescued, baby Aya - meaning miracle in Arabic - was still connected to her mother by her umbilical cord.

Her mother, father and all four of her siblings died after the quake hit the town of Jindayris. Aya is now in hospital.

Full article https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64588133

Diadora Van Basten

My friend is there as part of his charity he says you can still hear people in the rubble communicating with rescue workers.

3 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

My friend is there as part of his charity he says you can still hear people in the rubble communicating with rescue workers.

I fear at this stage there are still going to be a lot more dead people than survivors in that rubble, the dead are silent.

Edited by JFK-1

That thing you do
On 08/02/2023 at 00:44, JFK-1 said:

Global army of dogs heading for the quake zone, the dogs in the pic are flying out from Mexico city others coming from all over including the UK. Go the dugs.

_128556105_fovsbezaeaaipza-2.jpg

Turkey earthquake: Mexico sends its famed search and rescue dogs https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64553936

Mexicos rescuers go everywhere round the world to support. They are known as the Moles and they crawl through collapsed buildings etc with the Dogs being the super heroes.

They also helped in USA after Hurricane Katrina.

1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Would it be out the question for the FOH to donate a months subscriptions to the Turkey-Syria relief fund?  

Dunno if that’s legally possible considering the money is earmarked for a specific charitable purpose. The club however could. 

On 08/02/2023 at 21:48, dobmisterdobster said:

HAARP was shut down years ago wasn't it?

so they say but theyre all over the place the one in alaska was just the main one people knew about

Edited by Masonic

Poignant before and after pic, the bigger building to the right is still standing. The apartment building to the left has simply crumbled. Inside were 15 families, just 3 survivors.

_128592485_turkey_iskenderun_block_befor

Many buildings in southern Turkey have been wiped out of existence this week, but this is the story of the Orcan apartment block, home to Ceyda and her family alongside the residents of 14 other flats

In the days after the quake, their friends and family gathered round Orcan hoping for the best, and speaking of their loved ones.

Full article https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64597007

We were all set to book a holiday to Antalya for April this weekend. Not too sure now. Doesn't feel right going over there for a jolly with all that devastation not too far away. 

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

We were all set to book a holiday to Antalya for April this weekend. Not too sure now. Doesn't feel right going over there for a jolly with all that devastation not too far away. 

The Turkish economy is wrecked. They'll appreciate any tourism they can get, I'm sure.

51 minutes ago, Norm said:

Every bit of money you spend there will be helping.

Directly supporting the locals may perhaps be better than donating to an international charity.

7 hours ago, Norm said:

The last thing the country needs is folk to stop going on holiday to Turkey.

On 10/02/2023 at 07:10, Jamstomorrow said:

Would it be out the question for the FOH to donate a months subscriptions to the Turkey-Syria relief fund?  

Then you would need to think about donating to every disaster, non starter imo.

Mac_fae_Gillie
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The Turkish economy is wrecked. They'll appreciate any tourism they can get, I'm sure.

Agree helping economy but feels wrong drinking beer, laughing, having good time in a country with so much hurt.

It's absolutely devastating, this is a photo of a man sitting in the rubble of his collapsed apartment block. What's not so clear is he's sitting there holding the hand of his dead daughter whom he dug from the rubble himself. The agony is unimaginable.

4000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&dpr=1&s=no

Adem Altan came across a father holding his dead daughter’s hand – who asked him to take her photo  Full article

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/11/turkey-earthquake-defining-image-adem-altan 

A Syrian mother and her newborn baby are recovering after being rescued from the rubble of her earthquake-hit home twice in a week, a charity says. Dima was seven months pregnant when last Monday's earthquake caused part of her house in Jindayris to fall down.

She suffered minor injuries and later gave birth to a boy, Adnan, at a hospital in Afrin supported by the Syrian American Medical Society (Sams). They returned to the house, only for it to collapse fully three days later.

Full article https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64625033

13 hours ago, Cade said:

They're still somehow pulling living survivors out of the rubble, almost 200 hours after the first quake hit.

Astonishing.

A 5 year old survived 105 hours in the rubble with dead siblings and a dead father around him. I wouldn't have thought one so young could survive anything like that long buried with no food/water and enduring freezing temperatures. His mother was the only other survivor from their household.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64632874