The Who @ Edinburgh Castle in July

Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson

This has always been the band that I wanted to see live and I thought I had missed the boat.

Couldn't believe it when they announced Edinburgh Castle

Got my tickets through O2 priority yesterday :pleasing:

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

This has always been the band that I wanted to see live and I thought I had missed the boat.

Lucky bugger!

I have to queue with the hoi polloi and hope there's some tickets left when I get on tomorrow. How much were the tix?

I thought the boat had been missed when they cancelled the gig in Glasgow a couple of years ago. These gigs are going to be with full orchestra. They use the orchestra for the first part of the set but not for  the encore, which is more My Generation & Substitute etc.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Lucky bugger!

I have to queue with the hoi polloi and hope there's some tickets left when I get on tomorrow. How much were the tix?

I thought the boat had been missed when they cancelled the gig in Glasgow a couple of years ago. These gigs are going to be with full orchestra. They use the orchestra for the first part of the set but not for  the encore, which is more My Generation & Substitute etc.

I paid £220 for 2 tickets, that's with ticket insurance and all fees.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Lucky bugger!

https://www.seetickets.com/event/the-who/edinburgh-castle/2552343?offercode=partners&pre=partner&direct=true

There you go. 

Nucky Thompson
33 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I didn't notice yesterday that UB40 were the supporting band.

I saw them at the Usher hall last May 

Edited by Nucky Thompson

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I might join you. The Who are my favourite band, but I don't know if I want to see them at the age they are. I wish The Jam would reform. Even just for one night.

I have been lucky to have seen The Who in all their guises, and after Entwhistle died that was it for me. Not to say the guys they have brought in are not good enough ,I mean Zak Starkey is a brilliant drummer, it's just not The Who for me, the vibe ect.....still those that are going enjoy.

Diadora Van Basten

I had tickets to see them at the Hydro pre pandemic but it got cancelled.

Not sure if I will go as it’s holiday time.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I might join you. The Who are my favourite band, but I don't know if I want to see them at the age they are. I wish The Jam would reform. Even just for one night.

Seen From The Jam with Bruce Foxton last Friday. Tremendous, you don't even notice it's not Weller singing

Seaside jambo

Seen them in the playhouse (no Keith Moon sadly) loudest noise I have ever experienced 

they were absolutely incredible 

Have a great time 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Weller will never reform The Jam in a million years.

Went to see Bruce Foxton in From The Jam last Friday and they were excellent.

As can be seen from my username, I'm a massive fan of The Orrible Oo. I first saw them in 1975 when I was 15 and I've seen the various line ups many times since. Nothing will match up to seeing the original four, with Moon and Entwistle, (3 times), but they've always been great live in any of the line-ups. I've got tickets for both shows at the Castle, but I'm not really into the orchestra show. It's a wee bit watered down Who, or Who lite. But I get it that Pete and Roger are pushing eighty, and I can't expect the visceral energy and extreme passion of those original line up shows. Still looking forward to it, and thinking about having lunch in the Skyline restaurant at Tynie on the Saturday. Might as well combine two of my passions.

6 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I didn't notice yesterday that UB40 were the supporting band.

I saw them at the Usher hall last May 

Don't think UB40 are playing the Edinburgh dates.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No, Edinburgh support not yet announced. Might be a Scottish act.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I heard it was the Proclaimers. 

Nucky Thompson
50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

47 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Ah well. That would've been a decent support as well

Nucky Thompson
44 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I heard it was the Proclaimers. 

I bloody well hope not :muggy:

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I bloody well hope not :muggy:

They certainly would put folk of.

Seriously is there any particular Scottish band you would like?

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Ah well. That would've been a decent support as well

Think they're a wee bit of a tribute act now. Called something like "Ally Cambell's UB40 " He and his brother fell out majorly some years ago.

Would be nice if they had a young up and coming Scottish act as support. What a gig for a young band that would be.

Nucky Thompson
58 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Seriously is there any particular Scottish band you would like?

I wouldn't mind seeing Simple Minds

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, whodanny said:

Depending on the curfew time for the castle, there may not be a support at. Gigs where they've performed with an orchestra have been in two acts as I mentored earlier. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they went low key for their support. I saw them years ago at Beaulieu Castle in the New Forest and the support act was Pete Townshend's wee brother, Simon, who is second guitar and backing vocals with The Who.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Simple Minds

That’s fair enough.

Anyway it’ll be a fantastic gig.

I thought the price you paid was quite reasonable.

59 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Depending on the curfew time for the castle, there may not be a support at. Gigs where they've performed with an orchestra have been in two acts as I mentored earlier. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they went low key for their support. I saw them years ago at Beaulieu Castle in the New Forest and the support act was Pete Townshend's wee brother, Simon, who is second guitar and backing vocals with The Who.

That's a good point IP. It's quite a long show for the latter day Who, I actually think it's 3 acts. Start with orchestra, middle section just the band without orchestra, then finale with orchestra again. No real intermission though.

I've seen Simon a few times with his band, and solo acoustic at the MacRobert arts center at Stirling University. He played to an audience of about 50/60 that night and was superb. Had a good long chat with him afterwords, he was happy to chat about his guitars and his song writing. I said to him that i've been a fan of The Who since was about twelve, he said "Me too mate, their ****in great 'in't they" I said "Simon, you're in The Who now" and he said he was so lucky and in awe of his brothers song writing. He also said he loved Roger like a brother. Lovely guy.

PS. I was wearing a Hearts lapel badge that night and he asked me what it was. When I explained he said "aw yeah, I've heard of the Hearts, good side 'in't they ?"  Top guy.

Edited by whodanny

Doctor FinnBarr
11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No chance, Buckler hates Weller.

Saw them in 76 at Parkhead supported by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, chapman/Whitney Streetwalkers and a few others...that'll do for me. 

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Saw them in 76 at Parkhead supported by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, chapman/Whitney Streetwalkers and a few others...that'll do for me. 

Was there too Dave. SAHB nearly stole the show. The Who might still be the best thing I ever saw at Darkheid if a certain fitba match hadn't happened in '98.

Would be wonderful to have a support of the quality of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Castle, I saw them several times too. But I doubt it will be that good , if any support.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

More than he loves money?

Yes, must have made what he needs I suppose. I even watched Stiff Little Fingers with Bruce Foxton playing bass

17 hours ago, JWL said:

Seen From The Jam with Bruce Foxton last Friday. Tremendous, you don't even notice it's not Weller singing

Snap 

Excellent 

Only got two of their original line up left I believe. Who are they indeed 😂

Will Be a great concert. 👍👍

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

In fairness, you'll never top that.  Should still be a great evening though.

8 hours ago, whodanny said:

Was there too Dave. SAHB nearly stole the show. The Who might still be the best thing I ever saw at Darkheid if a certain fitba match hadn't happened in '98.

Would be wonderful to have a support of the quality of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Castle, I saw them several times too. But I doubt it will be that good , if any support.

Yip, SAHB we're awesome. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

More than he loves money?

Weller has said it about a thousand times he wouldn't reform under any circumstance.

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, whodanny said:

That's a good point IP. It's quite a long show for the latter day Who, I actually think it's 3 acts. Start with orchestra, middle section just the band without orchestra, then finale with orchestra again. No real intermission though.

I've seen Simon a few times with his band, and solo acoustic at the MacRobert arts center at Stirling University. He played to an audience of about 50/60 that night and was superb. Had a good long chat with him afterwords, he was happy to chat about his guitars and his song writing. I said to him that i've been a fan of The Who since was about twelve, he said "Me too mate, their ****in great 'in't they" I said "Simon, you're in The Who now" and he said he was so lucky and in awe of his brothers song writing. He also said he loved Roger like a brother. Lovely guy.

PS. I was wearing a Hearts lapel badge that night and he asked me what it was. When I explained he said "aw yeah, I've heard of the Hearts, good side 'in't they ?"  Top guy.

Did you ever see Casbah Club?

Simon on guitar and lead vox; Bruce Foxton on bass; Bruce Watson on lead guitar and Mark Brzezicki on drums.

Fairly short-lived project as Bruce Watson (& Mark) was drawn back into doing Big Country tours with Mike Peters (from the Alarm) singing. I saw them a couple of times. Mike Peters was a fan with a mic - it was a joy to watch!

Here's a clever wee Casbah Club ditty paying dues to their backgrounds

3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Weller has said it about a thousand times he wouldn't reform under any circumstance.

People say a lot of things. Especially Paul. I'm sure SLF have a song for his ever changing moral compass. Well someone does. :D

Edited by ri Alban

2 tickets purchased for the Sunday. I'll make an Edinburgh weekend out it with the Mrs.

I wonder if we'll have a home game on the Saturday.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

2 tickets purchased for the Sunday. I'll make an Edinburgh weekend out it with the Mrs.

I wonder if we'll have a home game on the Saturday.

8th of July? That's still pre-season, isn't it?

Maybe we'll have a friendly with Watford who'll no doubt want to make their trip north worthwhile. :D

Perth to Paisley

Daltrey's politics and Townsends 'research' habits put me off.

Saw them in 76 - knew it was finished when Keith Moon walked through his kit sprawling it all over the stage.