Old Pre Season Tournament

richierich

Can anyone remember an old preseason tournament in the early 80's (I think though it could have been late 70's). It was sponsored by a brewery, possibly Dryburghs or similar,

if I remember it was over 2 days, with 2 games on each day, I can remember it was Hearts, Hibs and I'm sure it was Man City, but I can't remember the 4th team,

I remember going when I was a lad, I think it ran for a couple of seasons maybe or probably just one?

has anybody got any details as it's bugging me now,

Johanes de Silentio

Aye - it was at the beginning of the '79/80 see-saw.

We played Coventry, Man City, and some mob from Leith - I'm fairly sure it was crap and poorly attended!

Al.

Johanes de Silentio

Oh - and I'm pretty sure it was sponsored by, ahem, 'Skol' - 'nuff said!

Al.

Aye - it was at the beginning of the '79/80 see-saw.

We played Coventry, Man City, and some mob from Leith - I'm fairly sure it was crap and poorly attended!

Al.

thanks, I remember going, must have been about 10 years old then, not sure why I just remembered it but thanks for that :)

Johanes de Silentio

Oh - and it only lasted one see-saw.

The following see-saw they re-introduced the tiresome early season league/group format of the League Cup, which was also crap and poorly supported! Will they never learn?

Al.

Johanes de Silentio
thanks, I remember going, must have been about 10 years old then, not sure why I just rembered it but thanks for that :)

Nae bother, rich!

It's fairly sad that I know about this, but I too was a fledgling Jambo around this time!

Cheers, rich!

Al.

Nae bother, rich!

It's fairly sad that I know about this, but I too was a fledgling Jambo around this time!

Cheers, rich!

Al.

hehe it's amazing the trivia that sticks with you :)

jambos are go!

Did it not start off as the Dryburgh Cup before it became the Skol cup when Skol took over Dryburgh. BTW you used to get an awesome pint of Skol Lager at the Wheatsheaf near Saughton Park in the 1970s. Just the thing after summer night football at Saughton.

jamboinglasgow

I would love hearts to have a competition like is becoming common with other teams such as the emirtiz cup etc. Maybe an idea when we get the new stand up. Obviously we wont get the top team from european competitions but maybe someone like Lazio or HSV Berlin.

Charlie-Brown

As I can remember at the 1979-80 Skol Cup tournament was Hibs v Hearts & Man City v Coventry with the final and 3rd/4th game played the following day....anyway they put all the 'away' supporters Hearts, Cov & City in the old dunbar end terracing and not surprisingly there was some crowd trouble (it was the 70's & Hibs beating Hearts didn't help) - there was more trouble on the sunday as well although the Hearts crowd was much smaller on the 2nd day - Dad took me & my pals into the enclosure on the second day to avoid the fighting although we saw plenty outside the ground as segregation was virtually non-existant.

Jam Tarts 1874

The tournament was rubbish. Watching back to back pre-season games on the same day wasn't very inspiring. The only interesting thing in this tournament was Coventry's chocolate coloured strip, it was probably the worst strip ever.

Fxxx the SPFL
Can anyone remember an old preseason tournament in the early 80's (I think though it could have been late 70's). It was sponsored by a brewery, possibly Dryburghs or similar,

if I remember it was over 2 days, with 2 games on each day, I can remember it was Hearts, Hibs and I'm sure it was Man City, but I can't remember the 4th team,

I remember going when I was a lad, I think it ran for a couple of seasons maybe or probably just one?

has anybody got any details as it's bugging me now,

The dryburgh cup was purely a scottish competition with only pssibly four teams taking part and I am sure it was to do with the highest scoring teams in the league the previous season, so you could finish down the league but if you were high scoring you qualified, can't remember Hearts ever being in the competiton. !!!!!!

:confused:

Nelly Terraces

Totally bizarre comp, you'd never get away wi now. In other words, could only be thought up in the 70's lol!

Mind goin to the lochend swamp wi my old man for the last round of games. We played Man City 1st, then it was the hobos v Cov. After oor game, the hobos came out to warm up and a few hundred Gorgie stayed behind to abuse them. Best thing was about 3 of their fitbas landed in the Dunbar end, these were kept by the Gorgie who then legged it out the swamp kicking the ba's up Fester Rd apparently!

I had to stay behind wi the old man to watch the vermin in the most dull game of fitba I've ever had the displeasure to witness (plus had to watch it in the reptile end). The old man and a hobo mate of his shared 2 hip flasks of whisky, then he drove home. Acceptable behaviour in the 70's.

Cheers.

Gorgie Rules.

Was this the tournament Davie Cooper scored that fantastic goal in? Where he flicks it over about 3 or 4 players before knocking it in? Misty footage of that one is all that is available I think. But a brilliant goal.

Johanes de Silentio

Actually, was there not a similar thing at the start of the '78/'79 see-saw when we played Glasgow Rangers and West Brom?

I wonder if the games at the start of '79/'80 was a feeble effort at an Edinburgh Derby, cos we were in different divisions at the time?

Whae kens? No me!

Charlie-Brown
Was this the tournament Davie Cooper scored that fantastic goal in? Where he flicks it over about 3 or 4 players before knocking it in? Misty footage of that one is all that is available I think. But a brilliant goal.

That was in the Dryburgh cup final or maybe the Glasgow cup final? It was a great goal though.

Hearts played in the Tennant Caledonian Cup with Rangers, West Brom & somebody else in 1978-79 season and the following year the Skol Cup with Hibs, Coventry & Man City.....there was quite a few of these Brewery sponsored pre-season mini-tournaments at that time.

Archived