Closing the gap

Ked

3 hours ago, TayJamTart said:

Aberdeen's manager was sacked and yet it is feasible that they could attain third place in SPL this season..even with temp Barry Robson still in place. 

Sure I heard Richard Gordon say that on Sportsound the other night! 

It’s not really feasible at all though, is it?

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Naisys Tackle

• Bozi

43 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I understand where you’re coming from but the thread is specifically titled “closing the gap”.  That’s an entirely different meaning to challenging the arse cheeks.  The latter would need a huge cash injection, the former does not, especially with the gap increasing this season.  

“The next level” clearly means different things to different people. 

36 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think most folk understand the difference between closing the gap and taking us to the next level, challenging them might never happen but its good that those people who are in charge want too eventually. 

Oh I agree and I believe that of we keep on the current trajectory, regularly improve the squad, qualify for Europe, reach cup finals (and hopefully win one) then we can realistically start to close that gap a bit.

What gets my goat is those on here who are constantly bashing Nielson and talking about a "next level" which includes splitting the old firm, which at present is simply not realistic

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Oh I agree and I believe that of we keep on the current trajectory, regularly improve the squad, qualify for Europe, reach cup finals (and hopefully win one) then we can realistically start to close that gap a bit.

What gets my goat is those on here who are constantly bashing Nielson and talking about a "next level" which includes splitting the old firm, which at present is simply not realistic

The problem is qualifying for Europe won't be enough after next season to go right into the groups and money that comes with that.  Next level will be actually winning ties to do so and make the momey that way.  That's the only way any gap closes due to them making a lot lot more money annually than us.

4 minutes ago, Bozi said:

It's realistic and it can possibly be done if all the stars align and we don't have cheating referees, a ridiculous league set up and a section of our support that reside in cloud cuckoo land.

Not enjoying Hearts at the moment is ludicrous in the extreme. Going forwards we're doing outstanding. I'm struggling to see why there's this undercurrent of disgruntlement.  

It's not normal. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

The next level is to sometimes compete with teams we aren't favorites to win while using our considerable financial advantage to grow more of a gap between the teams behind us.  Thats personally the next level to me. 

We've finished 3rd twice in ten years. 

We've only finished 3rd twice in a row. once in 30 odd years.

The next level is finishing 3rd consecutively, we are on our way to do this.

If we finish 3rd 4 or 5 times in a row and are stagnating,  talk of replacing the management team that got us there may have merit.

Atm it's just bull shite and agitating that could be destructive if the dafties got their way.

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

We've finished 3rd twice in ten years. 

We've only finished 3rd twice in a row. once in 30 odd years.

The next level is finishing 3rd consecutively, we are on our way to do this.

If we finish 3rd 4 or 5 times in a row and are stagnating,  talk of replacing the management team that got us there may have merit.

Atm it's just bull shite and agitating that could be destructive if the dafties got their way.

Yes I know all of that. 

Everyone has different definitions of next level mate.   We have the finances coming into the club now which means we should always be there or about 3rd from now on. 

I've never once talked about replacing the management team.  Just offering my opinion what the next level is.  Beating teams or even drawing against teams who we arent favorites to win against should be the next step.   

That doesn't mean that I'm unhappy at the moment.  A cup would be lovely.  We should never discard the League Cup ever again in the same way others did when we lost to Killie. 

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Oh I agree and that is exactly what Nielson is doing, he has us on track to do, I'm not sure changing manager will give us the boost that some seem to think 

Agreed. To me the "next level" is UECL knockout stages. The level after that is a famous win against the next Fiorentina we come up against. And then the level after that is worrying the OF.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

No I think they are 👍🏽, which makes it more difficult to work out what the players get. It could be in the accounts but they made me sleepy tbh 🥱😴🤣.,

Understandably!

12 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yes I know all of that. 

Everyone has different definitions of next level mate.   We have the finances coming into the club now which means we should always be there or about 3rd from now on. 

I've never once talked about replacing the management team.  Just offering my opinion what the next level is.  Beating teams or even drawing against teams who we arent favorites to win against should be the next step.   

That doesn't mean that I'm unhappy at the moment.  A cup would be lovely.  We should never discard the League Cup ever again in the same way others did when we lost to Killie. 

TBH finishing fourth or higher in consecutive seasons is still an accomplishment. We've only managed it five times (one of which was three years running) since the last time we won the league.

The downplaying of the league cup loss on here was 100% sour grapes, and I include myself in that. We treat it as unimportant because we can't seem to win it. As Chumbawamba said, we'll be singing when we're winning it.

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

TBH finishing fourth or higher in consecutive seasons is still an accomplishment. We've only managed it five times (one of which was three years running) since the last time we won the league.

The downplaying of the league cup loss on here was 100% sour grapes, and I include myself in that. We treat it as unimportant because we can't seem to win it. As Chumbawamba said, we'll be singing when we're winning it.

It is, of course.  Still be a very good season. Not next level though.   Pump  Celtic in the cup then that will be a massive improvement.   

Totally agree.  :)  Great tune too.

Edited by Robbies Tackle

On 24/02/2023 at 06:56, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agree

think neilson has taken us as far as he can

Yeah? So who needs to be given tens of millions of pounds to win the league? And where does that money come from?

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we were a bit rudderless once KK was injured January 2011, not sure if he would’ve turned around our fortunes with our signings that summer. Harsh sacking though. 
Sergio did well with all those issues. 

I think the moral of the story is you can challenge but you need a strong run of victories to stay in position and a staff room that believe in and drive home that mentality along with having the players. 

I doubt any of us thought Hearts would put in such a good first 25,26 matches the way we did that season but it shows what momentum can do. 

We faltered quite a bit but that probably highlighted the lack of depth in the end.  So, we’re either in a better financial position now or not but there seems a lot of caution among the support, or maybe it’s excuses? 

Edited by Debut 4

We_are_the_Hearts

If Neilson gets third he then has to show he is moving us forward next season, performance and points wise.

If he doesn't get 3rd then we need to invest in a better management team to achieve that.

After all its the club ad Joe that said closing the gap and challenging is the aim, not the fans. How they do that is up to them. No time for sentiment or failing to move forward

13 hours ago, Negan said:

What? 

When someone criticises Neilson or thinks we need a better manager, people ask this tiresome and completely pointless question of who we should get in to replace him....

That is impossible to say as we don't know who is out of contract or out of a job at that time, who would actually be interested in taking the Hearts job and if we could even afford him. Nobody on here knows our budget so it's a complete waste of time asking people who we should get in to a better job. 

Lost count of the amount of times this same daft question gets repeated on here.

And as a reply to your post as well @Bazzas right boot to save me double posting.

Edited by Chimp

10 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I suppose it is an accomplishment, albeit a bit of a hollow one. Its a bit like getting a B in GCSE maths. It’s a pass and it’s Better than a C or below most of your classmates had but the folk with A’s are getting the prizes and the admiration and they’re going to Uni looking down their nose at you 

1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

If Neilson gets third he then has to show he is moving us forward next season, performance and points wise.

If he doesn't get 3rd then we need to invest in a better management team to achieve that.

After all its the club ad Joe that said closing the gap and challenging is the aim, not the fans. How they do that is up to them. No time for sentiment or failing to move forward

Look at the opposition here.

Youve got Hibs who we just beat twice and who are erratic, sometimes  shite, prone to getting beat by bottom 6 teams.Almost invariably follow a good result with a bad one. No one would consider they have a better squad than us

Then you’ve got Aberdeen. Recently humiliated. Can’t find a manager they can settle down with. Thrashed by Hibs and Hearts. In turmoil. squad nowhere near as good as ours

Livingston. A poor quality team who get results because of their pitch and the fact that they have guts and a bit of organisation about them. Squad nowhere near as good as ours.

St Mirren. Low quality getting results through simple organisation and attitude. Squad no where near ours.

Not finishing 3rd, with our squad and our resources would be massive failure on the part of team management. There is no other conclusion you can reach.

This season in particular, assuming we don’t win the cup, not finishing 3rd takes millions of pounds out of an envelope with our name on it and hands it directly to one of the above lesser clubs. To me that’s gross mismanagement and it’s sackable.

Edited by JimmyCant

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, jambmoz said:

The only gap closing is  the one behind us at the moment I'm afraid.

Because we lost one game, really :rofl:

We are looking at the big picture in this thread, not 3 points on any given afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Because we lost one game, really :rofl:

We are looking at the big picture in this thread, not 3 points on any given afternoon.

We’ve won 1 of our last 4 league games, including 2 bad defeats and 3 horrible performances. Not really sure how much of a big picture alarm bell some folk need

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

When someone criticises Neilson or thinks we need a better manager, people ask this tiresome and completely pointless question of who we should get in to replace him....

That is impossible to say as we don't know who is out of contract or out of a job at that time, who would actually be interested in taking the Hearts job and if we could even afford him. Nobody on here knows our budget so it's a complete waste of time asking people who we should get in to a better job. 

Lost count of the amount of times this same daft question gets repeated on here.

And as a reply to your post as well @Bazzas right boot to save me double posting.

I think its a fair question on Neilson, is he a next level manager or coach. As things stand at the moment, when you see mess of the teams that should be competing with us, he is a good safe pair of hands, and there is no doubt he has had his work cut out this season.

Done a very good job getting us this far, maybe its as good as it gets for him, however nobody has a crystal ball, replacing him on a steady upward curve does risk blowing all of that work, equally it risks the chance of real progression.

The problem that we, or any club of our financial standing actually has, is having enough budget to attract a game changing coach. They dont simply want paid, they want a budget that gives them the best chance of being successful.

Since we aren't there yet, best option is "probably" to stick with the coach that is producing the steady upward curve until the line flattens/drops/or finances improve

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I think the moral of the story is you can challenge but you need a strong run of victories to stay in position and a staff room that believe in and drive home that mentality along with having the players. 

I doubt any of us thought Hearts would put in such a good first 25,26 matches the way we did that season but it shows what momentum can do. 

We faltered quite a bit but that probably highlighted the lack of depth in the end.  So, we’re either in a better financial position now or not but there seems a lot of caution among the support, or maybe it’s excuses? 

Im not sure we even started that well, JJ found a formation at ER that got the best out of Temps and Skacel behind KK. 
Some folk don’t understand how much belief means to a team and JJ definitely installed it. 
We definitely couldn’t replace KK, probably a big regret that he played his last game for us against St Johnstone in the cup, loved him and his attitude. 
As for the caution and excuses, I believe theres a split in our fan base of those that are happy enough being 3rd and those who want more, however unreasonable and unrealistic that may be. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, JimmyCant said:

We’ve won 1 of our last 4 league games, including 2 bad defeats and 3 horrible performances. Not really sure how much of a big picture alarm bell some folk need

:facepalm:

You plan for years, football is played over a season, you dont get it, I understand, you live in the present moment, clever people see past that. You would have sacked Neilson after Brora and QoS, clever people saw past these moments and Hearts have thrived for being clever and not panic like thick people

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Likewise it's a complete waste of time wanting him sacked because of the next level stuff.

Yet folk still go on about it.

The same daft question is asked because the daft question of replacing him gets repeated on here.

13 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You plan for years, football is played over a season, you dont get it, I understand, you live in the present moment, clever people see past that. You would have sacked Neilson after Brora and QoS, clever people saw past these moments and Hearts have thrived for being clever and not panic like thick people

Yes it’s played over a season and 4 weeks ago I’d have said 3rd was in the bag. But we’ve dropped off a cliff somehow and it doesn’t look done now. We’ve got Celtic twice in the next 3 games and a MUST win to St Johnstone. The league programme after that looks really hard if we don’t find even average form again. 12 games left and as we are now, I see only two that are banker Hearts wins

I wouldn’t have even employed Neilson again. We can get better than him and we should have done it. I wouldn’t have let him back in the building after Brora and QOS and I don’t see any improvement in his specific abilities as a coach since then. Yes the squad has got better because our resources have got better but this is like giving your granny a Ferrari to drive.

Edited by JimmyCant

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes it’s played over a season and 4 weeks ago I’d have said 3rd was in the bag. But we’ve dropped off a cliff somehow and it doesn’t look done now. We’ve got Celtic twice in the next 3 games and a MUST win to St Johnstone. The league programme after that looks really hard if we don’t find even average form again.

I wouldn’t have even employed Neilson again. We can get better than him and we should have done it. I wouldn’t have let him back in the building after Brora and QOS and I don’t see any improvement in his specific abilities as a coach since then. Yes the squad has got better because our resources have got better but this is like giving your granny a Ferrari to drive.

Thankfully you have zero Infuence on Hearts decision making processes.

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Likewise it's a complete waste of time wanting him sacked because of the next level stuff.

The same daft question is asked because the daft question of replacing him gets repeated on here.

Next level up is a myth that no one can put their finger on to describe.

Going down a level ? Thats easy to describe. It’s scrabbling around 4th 5th and 6th with dross. 

19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

So you're admitting it's a daft question after all. Glad you agree.

59 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Look at the opposition here.

Youve got Hibs who we just beat twice and who are erratic, sometimes  shite, prone to getting beat by bottom 6 teams.Almost invariably follow a good result with a bad one. No one would consider they have a better squad than us

Then you’ve got Aberdeen. Recently humiliated. Can’t find a manager they can settle down with. Thrashed by Hibs and Hearts. In turmoil. squad nowhere near as good as ours

Livingston. A poor quality team who get results because of their pitch and the fact that they have guts and a bit of organisation about them. Squad nowhere near as good as ours.

St Mirren. Low quality getting results through simple organisation and attitude. Squad no where near ours.

Not finishing 3rd, with our squad and our resources would be massive failure on the part of team management. There is no other conclusion you can reach.

This season in particular, assuming we don’t win the cup, not finishing 3rd takes millions of pounds out of an envelope with our name on it and hands it directly to one of the above lesser clubs. To me that’s gross mismanagement and it’s sackable.

Spot on.

Said numerous times we're lucky the rest of the league are poor. With that squad we should absolutely be finishing 3rd, no excuses.  It's no huge achievement considering how bad our closest competitors are. If we were playing well then it's a different story. We aren't and haven't been for most of the season which is why a lot of fans are concerned and questioning the manager.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Some of his biggest fan boys on here wanted Bob sacked after Brora, not very nice calling him or anyone else thick for that really.

Last thing Budge wanted to do was hsve to hire another manager as her choices weren’t very clever, but thankfully she made the right decision to keep him. Savage explained to him that he had used up his last life and another defeat like that couldn’t happen. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

So you're admitting it's a daft question after all. Glad you agree.

It's not a daft question in relation to folk wanting him sacked,  but then as wanting  him sacked is beyond stupid, then discussing his replacement is daft and therefore a daft question. 

Yes, we are in agreement. 

Folk wanting him sacked are daft, therefore the replacement question by extension becomes daft.

If we don't finish 3rd then the board will probably have a decision to make. You would think that after 3rd last season then it has to be 3rd again this season.

The noises from the hierarchy is to be the best of the rest.

I'm confident we will finish 3rd and Robbie will carry on.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not a daft question in relation to folk wanting him sacked,  but then as wanting  him sacked is beyond stupid, then discussing his replacement is daft and therefore a daft question. 

Folk wanting him sacked are daft, therefore the replacement question by extension becomes daft.

I never mentioned anything about being sacked. I was simply responding to the same question that people keep asking over and over whenever someone voices their doubts or have concerns about the job Neilson is doing. I am pointing out that it's tiresome and ridiculous question that can't really be answered due to the reasons I stated.

Even if folk aren't calling for him to be sacked and it's just a criticism you still get the same old cries of "well who would you replace him with then??" 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Some of his biggest fan boys on here wanted Bob sacked after Brora, not very nice calling him or anyone else thick for that really.

Last thing Budge wanted to do was hsve to hire another manager as her choices weren’t very clever, but thankfully she made the right decision to keep him. Savage explained to him that he had used up his last life and another defeat like that couldn’t happen. 

Didn't call anyone thick, what I said, we weren't thick, maybe read things through, there's a good lad :)

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Didn't call anyone thick, what I said, we weren't thick, maybe read things through, there's a good lad :)

You inferred that those that panicked and wanted him sacked were thick, maybe word your posts in a more clever fashion 😜.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who did you want to replace him after Brora and QoS and were you daft?

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Who did you want to replace him after Brora and QoS and were you daft?

Aye,  I  was daft after Brora, for about a week. I had no plan. Ann Kens her onions tho.

QOS was irrelevant in terms of the league. I never got in a state over that or other defeats.

I still say a defeat of  Brora is very much in the sackable set of results category for a Hearts manager, maybe you disagree.

Thankfully the board are more emotionally stable.

As for folk wanting him replaced because  the likes of Motherwell beat us, we aren't improving, can't get to the next level  etc......:rofl:

Just proves that I'm in general -a balanced, results type of chap and no Bob fan like many accuse me of being on here.

I'm capable of change, reflection and growth-  unlike some who have banged the same drum for years, you know any poster like that.......?

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I never mentioned anything about being sacked. I was simply responding to the same question that people keep asking over and over whenever someone voices their doubts or have concerns about the job Neilson is doing. I am pointing out that it's tiresome and ridiculous question that can't really be answered due to the reasons I stated.

Even if folk aren't calling for him to be sacked and it's just a criticism you still get the same old cries of "well who would you replace him with then??" 

The question is only posed to those that want him replaced.

The ridiculous question or statement is wanting him replaced in the first place, this then makes the follow up question daft.

The whole conversation is daft.

Bob is a good manager,  is on for 3x 3rd place finishes out of 3 with us, has dragged us up from the championship twice ad is a PHM.

He also has a nice long contract. 

Guy has lots of style an bottle and isn't getting replaced. 

The question just highlights how daft the debate is, because no one has a reasonable suggestion. 

In the past some if the posters on this very thread have suggested 

Wright, Robinson,  Goodwin,  Ross, Hartley,  McAnn, Johnson,  McInnes .

Next level indeed. 

Likely why. when asked now they shut up, they've talked utter shit in the past.  At least they have learned. 

pSbZMhL_d.jpeg

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye,  I  was daft after Brora, for about a week. I had no plan. Ann Kens her onions tho.

QOS was irrelevant in terms of the league. I never got in a state over that or other defeats.

I still say a defeat of  Brora is very much in the sackable set of results category for a Hearts manager, maybe you disagree.

Thankfully the board are more emotionally stable.

As for folk wanting him replaced because  the likes of Motherwell beat us, we aren't improving, can't get to the next level  etc......:rofl:

Just proves that I'm in general -a balanced, results type of chap and no Bob fan like many accuse me of being on here.

I'm capable of change, reflection and growth-  unlike some who have banged the same drum for years, you know any poster like that.......?

I actually agree with you but when it comes to banging the same drum for years i have to bow to your expertise and lack of understanding of irony.

Naisys Tackle
19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The ridiculous question or statement is wanting him replaced in the first place, this then makes the follow up question daft.

Bob is a good manager,  is on for 3x 3rd place finishes out of 3 with us, has dragged us up from the championship twice ad is a PHM.

The question just highlights how daft the debate is, because no one has a reasonable suggestion. 

Next level indeed. 

Likely why. when asked now they shut up, they've talked utter shit in the past.  At least they have learned. 

pSbZMhL_d.jpeg

That's extremely condescending.  

I'll bite on McInnes just for a laugh.  What poster on this very thread suggested we replace Neilson with him?  If you are getting at me you asked the question what manager outside the old firm has done a better manager than Robbie.  McInness still has and his second place finishes with both us and Rangers in the league back that up.

I don't want a managerial replacement and completely happy how it's going.   I object to you saying I was talking utter shit about it just because you may not agree.  And I'm not shut up over it either.  I still have the same opinion. 

That's if you meant me.  If not bash on ripping other posters and opinions just for the sake of always trying to come across right.

25 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Next level indeed. 

pSbZMhL_d.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣

Come down from the clouds mate.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That's extremely condescending.  

I'll bite on McInnes just for a laugh.  What poster on this very thread suggested we replace Neilson with him?  If you are getting at me you asked the question what manager outside the old firm has done a better manager than Robbie.  McInness still has and his second place finishes with both us and Rangers in the league back that up.

I don't want a managerial replacement and completely happy how it's going.   I object to you saying I was talking utter shit about it just because you may not agree.  And I'm not shut up over it either.  I still have the same opinion. 

That's if you meant me.  If not bash on ripping other posters and opinions just for the sake of always trying to come across right.

All these names  have been suggested in the past, probably why when asked folk can't or won't mention names.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

All these names  have been suggested in the past, probably why when asked folk can't or won't mention names.

Or because of the reasons I explained? Or are you just going to ignore that?

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Who gets the job if Robbie goes, anyone got any decent suggestions? 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I never suggested McIness, so rules me out, fair dos mate.  Sorry for jumping the gun. 

I have named two on this very thread.    All would also depend on availability at the time he hopefully leaves in a few years for an offer he cant refuse. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Or because of the reasons I explained? Or are you just going to ignore that?

I have also followed this on previously too.  Any sensible suggestion just gets completely hounded upon.   

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I have also followed this on previously too.  Any sensible suggestion just gets completely hounded upon.   

Yep, because no manager will ever be better than Neilson according to these people 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

It was genuinely a general question. i wasn't trying to be annoying. Apologies for asking.

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

Its a valid question because its all about opinion.

If its ok for supporters to have the opinion about Robbie getting the bullet then its also ok to have an opinion about who should get the job next.

Whats the difference, both decisions will not be made by supporters.

The argument for getting rid of Robbie would actually be enhanced and worthy of debate if other names where mentioned.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Its a valid question because its all about opinion.

If its ok for supporters to have the opinion about Robbie getting the bullet then its also ok to have an opinion about who should get the job next.

Whats the difference, both decisions will not be made by supporters.

The argument for getting rid of Robbie would actually be enhanced and worthy of debate if other names where mentioned.

If he was to leave tomorrow for whatever reason I would have us go for Steven Shumaker.