What makes a legend?

Henroddy

The phrase has been devalued and reminds me of the joke that in the old days, to be considered a legend you had to something extraordinary like pulling a sword from a stone,  nowadays it's returning from the bar unexpectedly with crisps.

queensferryjambo
4 hours ago, Bickfest said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, although he didn't come on in the final, he was an unused sub and did "lift silverware" in 1998. 

Robbo.jpeg.d27820ec88f171046dac291ffd0e4059.jpegRobbo.jpeg.d27820ec88f171046dac291ffd0e4059.jpeg

Of course he lifted silverware.

Robbo is a legend no matter what. I doubt you will find a single Hearts fan ever who wouldn’t agree this FACT.

Hearts fans would arguably bicker over the odd player being or not being a legend with Robbo there is absolutely no debate 😀

Legend, in my eyes is something/someone that/who will never be forgotten.

Therefore it will always vary from person to person. Someone most folk think are shite may have gone out their way to see someones child at a time in need, or given a shirt to someone and that is memorable and to them they might be a legend.

Then of course there are club legends, which is someone who has left something no one will forget or has given service over a very long period which leaves a legend.

The OP the first line where they said "someone can play over 300 games and people say hes shite" yes right now they do. Give another 20 years after they retire and the fan base will no doubt unanimously say he is a legend. 

I can't even think of anyone who has given that kind of service to a club that is shite apart from Lewis Stevenson. 

Brighton Jambo

For me a legend can be defined in two clear ways (as suggested by others to be fair):

1.  Longevity at the club whilst maintaining an excellent standard and giving many wonderful memories - I.e. Robbo, Mackay, Levein, Colquhoun 

2.  A level of performance over the shorter term where their personal contribution took the club to silverware or unprecedented league performance - i.e. three goals in two cup finals where we lifted the trophy - Rudi. Hatrick in a cup semi final and 2nd in League - Hartley, 

19 hours ago, iantjambo said:

There’s a fine line between ‘cult heroes’ and ‘legends’

Spot on, Ian.

Cult heroes aren’t always great players.

Heroes invariably are.

Cult:  Busby and Brellier.

Legends: Robbo and JC.

Just two examples of each there.