$10 million MLK Statue

Ray Gin

I P Knightley

I don't know the photo that it's supposed to represent and maybe need to see the sculpture from another angle or two but it looks a pile of shite to me. And I'm a noted art critic 😜

Looks like one of those psychological pics you look at then make an interpretation my first thought was 69 

Excuse my ignorance regarding art.

It just looks like lots of other pieces of modern art I have seen around the world. Most of them I couldn't make head nor tail of either.

Edited by John Findlay

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It looks more flopped out to me

Yep, looks like someone trying to heave an enormous flaccid penis over their shoulder.

highlandjambo3
4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Well in Geneva it'd be art;

image.png.2cc8d70ef6931e8a4104a550c37db93a.png

That’s the bit I don’t get 🤷‍♂️…… what’s the point

34 minutes ago, Ked said:

It's actually lovely when you see the picture it relates too.

His wife's face looks so deeply happy.

Probably happy he was with her instead of at it with someone else. 

Are you some sort of elevated human if you stare at shite like that and “get-it” or feel a “connection” or whatever? I just dont get any of it. I remember reading about an “art installation” in the Tate Modern in London. It was a black bin liner with rubbish spilling out of it. The cleaner came along and took it away and dumped it. It was meant to be worth thousands and the “artist” was furious. 
Loadapish! 3 ducks going up the wa’ was real art!!!

Shooter McGavin
9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Are you some sort of elevated human if you stare at shite like that and “get-it” or feel a “connection” or whatever? I just dont get any of it. I remember reading about an “art installation” in the Tate Modern in London. It was a black bin liner with rubbish spilling out of it. The cleaner came along and took it away and dumped it. It was meant to be worth thousands and the “artist” was furious. 

Have to admit, a lot of art to me just seems like pompous guff.

Paintings like this selling for $300 million 😂

A7108FA4-CE89-4F06-8EE7-244947FD11A0.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ked said:

It's actually lovely when you see the picture it relates too.

His wife's face looks so deeply happy.

Indeed - strange that that was the part that was deemed unnecessary...

13 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The bit I've never understood is how, once you get the monicker "artist" applied to you, suddenly everything you do and everything you ever did is then "art" and has value...like when you see the preparatory sketches for a work of art and somehow they have value too as art in their own right...Why? Even if the "art" is aesthetically unappealing... Surely must all be just a con to make money out of purposeless stuff?

22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The bit I've never understood is how, once you get the monicker "artist" applied to you, suddenly everything you do and everything you ever did is then "art" and has value...like when you see the preparatory sketches for a work of art and somehow they have value too as art in their own right...Why? Even if the "art" is aesthetically unappealing... Surely must all be just a con to make money out of purposeless stuff?

https://complyadvantage.com/insights/art-money-laundering/

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It looks like someone holding a jobbie as an offering. Hideous 

I'll admit, if I did a jobby on that scale, I'd be offering it up to the gods.

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'll admit, if I did a jobby on that scale, I'd be offering it up to the gods.

And you'd be banned from drinking Midouri

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I think it's pretty cool but more like £250 cool than £300m cool.

Doesn't really look that hard to do but it probably is.

13 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

:D I was with you until that part.

21 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Well in Geneva it'd be art;

image.png.2cc8d70ef6931e8a4104a550c37db93a.png

20 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

That’s the bit I don’t get 🤷‍♂️…… what’s the point

Broken Chair was created to symbolise opposition to landmines and cluster bombs ahead of the Ottawa Treaty in the 90s.

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Broken Chair was created to symbolise opposition to landmines and cluster bombs ahead of the Ottawa Treaty in the 90s.

Well that’s cleared it up 🤔

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Well that’s cleared it up 🤔

Landmines blow the feet off of children.

On the statue, it's just really badly thought out and executed IMO. From the right viewing angle it looks fine but art and design schools don't teach a theory of situation these days, it's all about the specifics of the artifact itself, and it leads to nonsense like this. (Sorry, I had to take art and architecture theory a few years ago as a requirement and now I have Takes.)

Modern art has become obsessed with "indexes" that point to something that you're supposed to think about. The sculpture is supposed to point to the photograph. So it's not a representation of the Kings, it's a reference to a photograph of a moment in time that's somehow supposed to make you think about the Kings.

I don't think it's somehow disrespectful or obscene, it's just a really shit memorial that's up its own arsehole rather than engaging with Dr. King's outstanding and challenging writings (of which most people know nothing other than the "dream" speech). But then it's just another piece of shit public art in a shit city full of smug dicks who are up their own arseholes, so I suppose in that way it's fitting.

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Thanks Ray, everyday a school day 👍

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

And any chairs that happen to trigger them.

A sculpture of a kid with his foot blown off would be a bit too macabre for public art, doncha think?

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 17/01/2023 at 08:58, John Findlay said:

Excuse my ignorance regarding art.

It just looks like lots of other pieces of modern art I have seen around the world. Most of them I couldn't make head nor tail of either.

A bit of head and some tail is exactly what it looks like

16 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

On the statue, it's just really badly thought out and executed IMO. From the right viewing angle it looks fine but art and design schools don't teach a theory of situation these days, it's all about the specifics of the artifact itself, and it leads to nonsense like this. (Sorry, I had to take art and architecture theory a few years ago as a requirement and now I have Takes.)

Modern art has become obsessed with "indexes" that point to something that you're supposed to think about. The sculpture is supposed to point to the photograph. So it's not a representation of the Kings, it's a reference to a photograph of a moment in time that's somehow supposed to make you think about the Kings.

I don't think it's somehow disrespectful or obscene, it's just a really shit memorial that's up its own arsehole rather than engaging with Dr. King's outstanding and challenging writings (of which most people know nothing other than the "dream" speech). But then it's just another piece of shit public art in a shit city full of smug dicks who are up their own arseholes, so I suppose in that way it's fitting.

Stick your anti-Boston chat right up your Durham NC Led.  Great city and people.

8 hours ago, Gards said:

Stick your anti-Boston chat right up your Durham NC Led.  Great city and people.

I will keep my anti-Boston chat to the very end. You keep your Beantown in your way and I'll slag it in mine.

Absolute steaming pile of arseholes.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I will keep my anti-Boston chat to the very end. You keep your Beantown in your way and I'll slag it in mine.

Absolute steaming pile of arseholes.

Well if they've got you thinking like that, they've done something right in my book