cathro on sky talking bout ronaldo and saudi arabia

Masonic

Thanks for posting. Thought he spoke well and seemed to come across more confident than when he was with us, although that wouldn't be hard.

The criticism he gets is way over the top, we where basically a club starting from scratch when he came in, Robbie skooshing the Championship raised expectations to a ridiculous level for some.

He had no chance from the get go with us imo, treated disgustingly by the media and never given a chance by the supporters.

No, he didn't help himself but he didn't cost us much financially and it was a gamble. Hope he does well in the future.

22 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Thanks for posting. Thought he spoke well and seemed to come across more confident than when he was with us, although that wouldn't be hard.

In his comfort zone as assistant to Nuno but still interested in managing again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/ian-cathro-hearts-journey-part-25739134.amp

henrysmithsgloves
32 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

That voice brings back nightmares.

Same here,,,he should stay over there tickling the camels baws,still not far enough away🤬

33 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The criticism he gets is way over the top, we where basically a club starting from scratch when he came in, Robbie skooshing the Championship raised expectations to a ridiculous level for some.

He had no chance from the get go with us imo, treated disgustingly by the media and never given a chance by the supporters.

No, he didn't help himself but he didn't cost us much financially and it was a gamble. Hope he does well in the future.

Robbie managed almost 18 months in the premiership, including a third place finish, before Cathro came in. 

Now I agree it wasn't as easy it could have been, Robbie had made some mistakes in the summer before he left, but Cathro was abysmal.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Don’t think the players cared for him going by the bonus penalties or whatever it was during the league cup that was the final nail in the coffin for him. 

A long time ago now, and will be part of the making of whatever he becomes. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Take away the goalposts and we are able to compete. We are able to go toe to toe and put in a performance which made the game a game. 

Remember thinking things were looking good after beating Rangers 4-1. Turned out the recruitment in January was absolutely shambolic and it showed fairly quickly. It didn't help losing Paterson for 10 montjs when he was absolutely flying aswell. 

Not a manager but seemingly a great coach. I think he probably suffered with the man management side but his tactics often left a lot to be desired. That 3-1 cup defeat to Hibs in the replay goes down as one of the worst performances I can remember down there and that includes the 6-2! We got off with one that night with it only being a 2 goal margin. Some of his comments were absolutely baffling but I agree with some he was on a hiding to nothing from the press.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

He was inexperienced but for that he shouldn't have gone so far out of his way to disassemble a very successful team just to put in his own vision which, as it turns out, was pretty bad. If he'd retained much of Robbie's structure for the first few months while he got to know the players, we would have been far better off.

Levein stepped into the manager's role when we fired him in large part I think because we were financially in a tight spot with the renovations having just been finished. The Cathro disaster was in many ways the first step towards the eventual catastrophe that ended with Stendel and demotion.

I don't fault him for not being up for the job—he stepped into a role that was too big for him, it happens. I fault him for being so ****ing arrogant in doing so that he trebled the damage he caused.

Our expectations were a bit higher than fighting a relegation battle.

He was an utter disaster and too arrogant to take any help from Levein (according to CL at the shareholders meeting).

Budge should have bulleted him, well before she eventually did.

A_A wehatethehibs

The guy made bizarre comments on a weekly basis hence his “treatment” by the media and fans. He was absolutely out of his depth. It was like watching a 12 year old being asked to play for the first team. No chance. And some of us knew it from day 1 when everyone was frothing over this wonder Mourinho appointment and I was thinking, do we even know if this kid can even manage a fish supper let alone a massive football club? Turned out he couldn’t.

Robbie had left the team in 2nd place with a dog firmly in the race for Europe. It most certainly was not starting from scratch. An absolute dream position for any new manager coming in. Utterly shocking appointment still the worst in my lifetime. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The guy made bizarre comments on a weekly basis hence his “treatment” by the media and fans. He was absolutely out of his depth. It was like watching a 12 year old being asked to play for the first team. No chance. And some of us knew it from day 1 when everyone was frothing over this wonder Mourinho appointment and I was thinking, do we even know if this kid can even manage a fish supper let alone a massive football club? Turned out he couldn’t.

Robbie had left the team in 2nd place with a dog firmly in the race for Europe. It most certainly was not starting from scratch. An absolute dream position for any new manager coming in. Utterly shocking appointment still the worst in my lifetime. 

The media pounced as soon as his feet hit the mat.

Stendal was a worse appointment, Rix was horrendous. The other unpronouncables around the time where equal abominations. Frail etc etc

Maybe your only 10 years old i suppose.

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Stendal was a worse appointment, Rix was horrendous. The other unpronouncables around the time where equal abominations. Frail etc etc

The media simply reported his ramblings very little work was needed by them they could just let his own words loose. Cathro was conclusively worse than all of them names in terms of what he single handedly did to dismantle a perfectly solid foundation. Cathros car crash made Rix record of P19 W9 D6 L4 look like Sir Alex and Stendel at least you could see he had some sort of plan for a way of playing, just did not have the players or the time. Cathro is at the bottom of worst appointments for a large number of us. Total independence from any Mad Vlad chairmanship shambles, the guy sank the club single handedly from a position of real strength and potential 

4 hours ago, Masonic said:

Comes across well. Very different to when he was with us.

Still a toss up between him and Malofeev for our worst manager of all time though.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Take away the goalposts and we are able to compete. We are able to go toe to toe and put in a performance which made the game a game. 

That was it for me. I nearly crashed the car when I heard that. 

It pretty much summed up the guy's lack of practical knowledge. I've no idea if he ever actually played a game himself but that interview ended him for me. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
5 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I remember his first press conference, I was hugely impressed with the way he spoke. I was pretty excited about his appointment at that stage. 

By the time he left, he was an absolute  nervous wreck. He looked haunted and seemed to have aged about ten years. 

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Is that camel toe to camel toe😉

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The media simply reported his ramblings very little work was needed by them they could just let his own words loose. Cathro was conclusively worse than all of them names in terms of what he single handedly did to dismantle a perfectly solid foundation. Cathros car crash made Rix record of P19 W9 D6 L4 look like Sir Alex and Stendel at least you could see he had some sort of plan for a way of playing, just did not have the players or the time. Cathro is at the bottom of worst appointments for a large number of us. Total independence from any Mad Vlad chairmanship shambles, the guy sank the club single handedly from a position of real strength and potential 

Stendel a worse appointment than Cathro?! :laugh:

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

He was an utter disaster and too arrogant to take any help from Levein (according to CL at the shareholders meeting).

The media made such an issue of Levein issuing instructions from the stand. What was loud and clear to me was whatever else was going on Levein wasn't influencing what was going on on the park.  

17 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The media made such an issue of Levein issuing instructions from the stand. What was loud and clear to me was whatever else was going on Levein wasn't influencing what was going on on the park.  

100% correct.

We tried something different the Scottish media were up in arms it was not one of the "regulars" who got the gig.
He was on a hiding to nothing immediately as the press went for the jugular.
Having tried something different it did not work out everyone has moved on from then and you cannot change the past so why constantly bring it up?
for my money it was bold of the club to try something different and the "getting f@**ed by a laptop" is a memory that brings a smile to my face.

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

The Stendel apologetics from one poster in particular who's going very quiet were irritating enough, but in fairness to him he had only a January window to work with. Cathro got a full offseason with two windows and a full preseason training and the team came out looking considerably worse than it had when he'd knocked off. I'm annoyed at Stendel for not doing more to secure survival, but he inherited a team who was falling apart.

For managers with over 10 games in charge, here's how the bottom line of the win percentages stacks up:

Stendel 29% (17G)

Sandy Clark 28% (52G)

Locke 27% (54G)

Cathro 25% (30G)

McGlynn 23% (34G)

Looking at the flip side, here's the top loss percentages in our history, >10 games.

Moncur 51% (60G)

Cathro 50% (30G)

Locke 48% (54G)

Tommy McLean 44% (43G)

James McGhee 42% (54G)

Stendel 41% (17G)

McGlynn 41% (34G)

Note that Cathro is second worst in both categories with a different manager below him in each case. And look at the others. McGlynn inherited the cup winning but league underachieving team that had then been gutted of its stars, and had to deal consistently with looming admin and unpaid players. Locke had the full admin handcuffs on for most of his tenure. Stendel got a team that hadn't won a game in months.

Cathro, on the other hand, got handed a second (effectively narrowly third) place team that was flying high, had a good team spirit, and was cohesive. We could have installed Kitchen and Cowie as player-managers and muddled to 4th. Instead, he shredded the team, brought in terrible recruits, and played them badly. Amidst all of this, by all accounts he refused any advice from Levein, from his players, and from anyone around the club.

Yes, we've had a few stinkers in the last 20 years, but the numbers and the narrative agree—he was quite simply the worst gaffer in our history.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Did he get caught in between though?

Trying to be his own man, but Daly constantly running up to get notes and talks with Levein.

He was the rabbit caught in the headlights when results were failing, he never seemed to react in changing the game.

No apparent man management or leadership skills. Perfect example of being a good coach but not a good manager.

rudi must stay

A very clever man you can see that. Just part of Hearts wonderful history. Yes there were lows but we played some nice stuff under him far nicer than anything we played under Levein, would have kept him

rudi must stay

As for his comments I think he's a shy guy but I think part of that is because he sees the game very differently. At times he wasn't coy with the media, for example saying the game here was built on the first 10 minutes it told the players who were poor pros that we should only complete for the first 10 minutes. He would have learned over time not to say things like that 

A horrendous appointment! However, the guy deserves a lot of respect for the levels he has worked at and his journey. 

A good example of the value of emotional intelligence and people management, seemed to be somewhat lacking in both departments but good luck to the guy.  

part_time_jambo
6 hours ago, brownkg said:

We tried something different the Scottish media were up in arms it was not one of the "regulars" who got the gig.
He was on a hiding to nothing immediately as the press went for the jugular.
Having tried something different it did not work out everyone has moved on from then and you cannot change the past so why constantly bring it up?
for my money it was bold of the club to try something different and the "getting f@**ed by a laptop" is a memory that brings a smile to my face.

I agree. Trying the same thing for the previous 50 or so years hadn't brought much success with regard to winning trophies or challenging for the league. We tried something different that might have changed that, frankly poor, record. It didn't work, we've moved on and things are looking better. I still don't think we will win cartloads of trophies or challenge seriously for the league though.

Always baffled after hearing this guy speaking.... Never quite sure what he's been going on about. Maybe that's the problem?

augusthearts
15 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Comes across well. Very different to when he was with us.

Still a toss up between him and Malofeev for our worst manager of all time though.

Malofeev for me. Absolutely horrendous unfortunately. Funny thing is he had a good pedigree as a manager or at least he had had back in the 80s. Maybe piggy back fights for training worked then. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Best of luck to him. Levein’s set up was a shambles when he came in although suspect he won’t make it as a manager.

• 2 weeks later...
Bazzas right boot
On 02/01/2023 at 03:12, Led Tasso said:

The Stendel apologetics from one poster in particular who's going very quiet were irritating enough, but in fairness to him he had only a January window to work with. Cathro got a full offseason with two windows and a full preseason training and the team came out looking considerably worse than it had when he'd knocked off. I'm annoyed at Stendel for not doing more to secure survival, but he inherited a team who was falling apart.

For managers with over 10 games in charge, here's how the bottom line of the win percentages stacks up:

Stendel 29% (17G)

Sandy Clark 28% (52G)

Locke 27% (54G)

Cathro 25% (30G)

McGlynn 23% (34G)

Looking at the flip side, here's the top loss percentages in our history, >10 games.

Moncur 51% (60G)

Cathro 50% (30G)

Locke 48% (54G)

Tommy McLean 44% (43G)

James McGhee 42% (54G)

Stendel 41% (17G)

McGlynn 41% (34G)

Note that Cathro is second worst in both categories with a different manager below him in each case. And look at the others. McGlynn inherited the cup winning but league underachieving team that had then been gutted of its stars, and had to deal consistently with looming admin and unpaid players. Locke had the full admin handcuffs on for most of his tenure. Stendel got a team that hadn't won a game in months.

Cathro, on the other hand, got handed a second (effectively narrowly third) place team that was flying high, had a good team spirit, and was cohesive. We could have installed Kitchen and Cowie as player-managers and muddled to 4th. Instead, he shredded the team, brought in terrible recruits, and played them badly. Amidst all of this, by all accounts he refused any advice from Levein, from his players, and from anyone around the club.

Yes, we've had a few stinkers in the last 20 years, but the numbers and the narrative agree—he was quite simply the worst gaffer in our history.

Yip, finished below Peterhead iirc on the group stages as well in the lc.

Psychedelicropcircle

His heed looks super imposed onto someone’s shoulders!!

had some media training I’d say