Dissent in China

JFK-1

People having the audacity to demand the end of communist rule? I recall some already tried that at Tiananmen Square, and were slaughtered. Be interesting to see how this new unrest pans out. There was no internet back in 1989 to rally the troops so to speak. It's funny how revolutions can begin, this was reportedly partly inspired by the fact the Chinese are watching the world cup.

And what they're seeing there coming in from the outside world is large crowds unmasked while they are still enduring all manner of strict covid regulations. What a global shift that would be, if they started to implode too. Though it's difficult to envision that actually happening, who knows.

“There is a sign that China was relaxing some points of its zero-Covid policy. But all of a sudden lockdowns came back. And that's why you're seeing this frustration now.”

Protests against China’s "zero-Covid" strategy spread to Shanghai and other cities with crowds chanting "down with the Chinese Communist Party" in the most significant public display of defiance since Tiananmen Square, journalist Emily Feng tells #TimesRadio. 

China at ‘tipping point’ after anti-government protests

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

mind when the epidemiologists on here were saying that zero covid was only failing due to covidiots breaking the rules and not locking down hard enough :(

:lion:

49 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Why is it still rife over there?

One suggestion is their vaccine isn't as effective as Western vaccines. And perhaps they haven't created the facilities we have to deal with infected who experience severe symptoms. Seemingly there's a real fear among some of the population that if you get it you're in deep shit and might die.

I think we have all got over that thought but they're government was apparently instrumental in creating this fear, presumably to justify the severity of the lockdowns etc.

But they're now seeing the outside world at the likes of the world cup and seeing others returning to normality. Why not us? Seems the great firewall of China can't hide everything from them.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

One suggestion is their vaccine isn't as effective as Western vaccines. And perhaps they haven't created the facilities we have to deal with infected who experience severe symptoms. Seemingly there's a real fear among some of the population that if you get it you're in deep shit and might die.

I think we have all got over that thought but they're government was apparently instrumental in creating this fear, presumably to justify the severity of the lockdowns etc.

But they're now seeing the outside world at the likes of the world cup and seeing others returning to normality. Why not us? Seems the great firewall of China can't hide everything from them.

when we were still having our half-assed lockdowns some epidemiologists were posting pictures on here of foam parties and the like from china so presumably at that stage there wasn’t the same fear amongst the Chinese version of joe punter and they believed that zero covid was a sustainable policy

not sure if it actually happened or not but wasn’t there reports of Chinese officials clubbing folks pets to death as part of the covid policy

it is sometimes said that a good indicator of how a country/area treats their citizens is to check out how they treat the animals :(

Captain Lithuania

China is really interesting. If a regime change happened there and they cooperated with the west it would have a huge impact globally. 

I’m not surprised this is happening. I watch two YouTubers laowhy86 and serpentza, they cover this kind of stuff. Highly recommend their videos. 

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

People having the audacity to demand the end of communist rule? I recall some already tried that at Tiananmen Square, and were slaughtered. Be interesting to see how this new unrest pans out. There was no internet back in 1989 to rally the troops so to speak. It's funny how revolutions can begin, this was reportedly partly inspired by the fact the Chinese are watching the world cup.

And what they're seeing there coming in from the outside world is large crowds unmasked while they are still enduring all manner of strict covid regulations. What a global shift that would be, if they started to implode too. Though it's difficult to envision that actually happening, who knows.

“There is a sign that China was relaxing some points of its zero-Covid policy. But all of a sudden lockdowns came back. And that's why you're seeing this frustration now.”

Protests against China’s "zero-Covid" strategy spread to Shanghai and other cities with crowds chanting "down with the Chinese Communist Party" in the most significant public display of defiance since Tiananmen Square, journalist Emily Feng tells #TimesRadio. 

China at ‘tipping point’ after anti-government protests

I think you should worry even more about your own country. Trump wins, the end of the land of the free.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I think you should worry even more about your own country. Trump wins, the end of the land of the free.

Surprised at you Ri, Tacitus called Scotland Land of the free 2000 years ago writing about Calgachus, Merkans really don't have the claim to be land of the free despite their propaganda.

See China are the only country not showing the official feed from FIFA for the World Cup, instead 30 second delay so they can cut any images of the crowd without masks to try and prevent any more frustration

That thing you do

Among the places Ive had the chance to live in, I spent two years in Guangzhou.

It doesnt surprise me that GZ dissented the way it did. Most under 30s there are quite westernised by Chinese standards and have enjoyed this period where Chinese people could travel easier and basically have a consumerist lifestyle as long as you dont question the government.

Xi has returned oppresive practices and younger chinese who are not used to it are revolting and who can blame them.

I really enjoyed Guangzhou as a City. Made alot of good friends, Chinese and foreign and hope GZ continues its fight against the CCP.

Mac_fae_Gillie
On 27/11/2022 at 22:59, henrysmithsgloves said:

Thx to earlier lockdowns very few got Covid so herd immunity is zero, the vaccine is only 70% effective(if even that) though many younger Chinese have had vaccines the uptake by older Chinese is very low getting lower the higher the age older Chinese prefer/trust herbal remedies.

That thing you do
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

See China are the only country not showing the official feed from FIFA for the World Cup, instead 30 second delay so they can cut any images of the crowd without masks to try and prevent any more frustration

I heard they were blurring fans as well because people saw no masks and smelt a winnie the poo shaped rat

On 27/11/2022 at 22:59, henrysmithsgloves said:

It isn't rife.  That's the problem.  They go into full pelt lockdown to suppress any minor uptick of cases.  It's never been able to openly circulate to add natural infection acquired exposure to the immunisations gained from their sub-optimal vaccinations.  Their best vaccine in use is only about 70% effective.  Very low take-up in the elderly.  Overall they have vast numbers of people who are quite susceptible to acute illness and the hospital treatment that would require.  

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

It isn't rife.  That's the problem.  They go into full pelt lockdown to suppress any minor uptick of cases.  It's never been able to openly circulate to add natural infection acquired exposure to the immunisations gained from their sub-optimal vaccinations.  Their best vaccine in use is only about 70% effective.  Very low take-up in the elderly.  Overall they have vast numbers of people who are quite susceptible to acute illness and the hospital treatment that would require.  

I just assumed it was rife due to them locking folk in their homes

News reports showing civilians being forcibly removed from their homes and into mass lockdown/ concentration camp areas 

WTF is going on there ? 

This video discusses the current events and goes into detail on the economic/political war they say China is waging on the west. They're aggressively trying to export their style of governance to other countries.

The video speaks of ways to deal with it including becoming less economically dependent on China in as many areas as possible.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Daft question mate (and not a dig): but do you watch - in their entirety - every video you post? There’s loads of them!

Yes. Not so much watch as listen.