Wilko Johnson

Cade

Had a pretty unique style of playing which was darned hard to copy - for some of us anyway. Great player and band.

I'm sure he'll get a solid sendoff.  

Dick Dastardly
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Had a pretty unique style of playing which was darned hard to copy - for some of us anyway. Great player and band.

I'm sure he'll get a solid sendoff.  

I just watched this last week. He makes it look so simple! 

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I just watched this last week. He makes it look so simple! 

Indeed. Bloody hard to keep it going though.  

Supported Dr Feelgood a few times, unfortunately in the post Wilco period but still a great band.  

While sad news today, it's good that he got such a comparatively long time after his initial prognosis of ten months to live back in about 2012. Fair to say he made the most of it.

RIP Wilco.

I P Knightley

I can't remember how long ago it was that Wilko was at death's door but he subsequently came out with an album (with Roger Daltrey) which they toured. It must have been 10 years ago or more.

RIP, but well fought!

A damned shame. So much mad energy on stage with the classic Dr Feelgood lineup. I remember seeing him in Preservation Hall of all places many years ago, so good in a small venue. 

31 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't remember how long ago it was that Wilko was at death's door but he subsequently came out with an album (with Roger Daltrey) which they toured. It must have been 10 years ago or more.

RIP, but well fought!

January 2013 - He even had a farewell tour! I think there was a reassessment of his condition, and some major surgical intervention but he got another good kick at the ball with playing and touring.

3 minutes ago, Daktari said:

January 2013 - He even had a farewell tour! I think there was a reassessment of his condition, and some major surgical intervention but he got another good kick at the ball with playing and touring.

That's right. He was first diagnosed around 2014 iirc. 

Aye he found some doctor who was offering a highly risky experimental surgery.

This was in 2014.

He got another 8 years of life from volunteering himself for that.

RIP Wilko. Saw some great shows over the years, and still treasure my original vinyl copies of the first two Feelgoods albums. Brilliant player and a nice guy too.

14 minutes ago, whodanny said:

RIP Wilko. Saw some great shows over the years, and still treasure my original vinyl copies of the first two Feelgoods albums. Brilliant player and a nice guy too.

I think my vinyl copy of Stupidity Live might get a spin tonight. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I think my vinyl copy of Stupidity Live might get a spin tonight. 

Turn it up ! 👍

netherleejambo

As my avatar suggests I was a big Feelgoods fan, amazing band to see live. Saw Wilko at the ABC in Glasgow in 2013 which he thought would be hi last ever gig, thankfully it wasn’t. As the great man said, you never know what’s going to happen next. Legend

Nice attempt at a tribute by the BBC playing Heart Of The City over the closing clips of tonight’s match. Sadly they missed the mark as it was recorded a long time after Wilko left the band. Good tune though.