Sweden.

Francis Albert

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I can only imagine you struggle with memory loss and have forgotten about Sturgeons massively ill judged over reaction to Omicron last year. 

Tried to pre-empt Boris and ended up with egg all over her face.

Her and Drakeford are probably the only people that Boris has mad look stupid in the last year :lol:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Nucky Thompson

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Go to the pub but dont stand up and wear your mask when you go to the toilet. 

They just spoke pish for two straight years. 

The biggest scandal and mass fraud in history really . 

Lord Montpelier
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Could probably do with another lockdown to sort the wheat from the chaff, TBH, m'Lord.

Give me a bit of a free run on the A9 for some winter Munros and make trips as far as Newcastle and Manchester feel exciting again.

What did the dafties start calling it when their behavioural scientists worked out the word 'restrictions' wasn't working ? 'Protections', or something like that. Some folk got led up the garden path , and by the looks of it still do, with the nonsence the likes of Sturgeon and Sridhar came out with. 

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It was a total over reaction in most of Europe and looking back, it was fecking laughable

Sturgeon had us still wearing masks a year after England had ditched them :rofl:

People from Edinburgh couldn't go to Midlothian, people from Midlothian couldn't go to East Lothian :cornette_dog:

And people are desperate for Sturgeon and her clowns to have full control :lol:

I’ve not forgot and never will . 

34 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I can only imagine you struggle with memory loss and have forgotten about Sturgeons massively ill judged over reaction to Omicron last year. 

Yes that was her most blatant “ one over Boris “ trick she tried . Ruined businesses and peoples Xmas . Vile . It won’t be forgot 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

A comparison with other Nordic countries which are not really compatible with the more industrialised and urbanised Sweden.  Let alone the rest of Europe. And no one has offended me. And  I am not smouldering with indignation. What is your problem?

Are you really calling Sweden more industrialised than Denmark, Norway and Finland? :D

As for the degree of urbanisation in the Nordic countries, Finland has been more urbanised than Sweden since at least 2011, with both actually below the EU average.

Francis, you just make it all up. You had a bee in your bonnet at the time and you still have it for some reason. I hope you have a trip to the Nordic countries at some point, where I assure you that the Swedes aren't all driving around in Volvos and living in plush cities, while the Danes, Norwegians and Finnish are riding around on reindeer and living in tent villages.

You know people are still texting themselves for covid- right ?

Still taking days off work and going lat flows?

there are still folk wearing masks .

I do think , even without lockdowns the mortality figures would have been the same- just over a shorter time scale.

Everyone has had covid now and has either died or not.

We bought time to roll out the jag,

That is all.

58 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

1_Ulrika-Jonsson.jpg

:D I must admit that if I knew it was just going to be a rehashing of the old Covid thread by the usual moaners, I wouldn't even have opened the thread. I thought it might be about recommendations for places to visit or similar.

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Could probably do with another lockdown to sort the wheat from the chaff, TBH, m'Lord.

Give me a bit of a free run on the A9 for some winter Munros and make trips as far as Newcastle and Manchester feel exciting again.

How many have you bagged so far?

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

You know people are still texting themselves for covid- right ?

Still taking days off work and going lat flows?

there are still folk wearing masks .

I do think , even without lockdowns the mortality figures would have been the same- just over a shorter time scale.

Everyone has had covid now and has either died or not.

We bought time to roll out the jag,

That is all.

It should have been a one nation strategy / approach . Would have cut off the silly games which some leaders played to score points over each other . 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D I must admit that if I knew it was just going to be a rehashing of the old Covid thread by the usual moaners, I wouldn't even have opened the thread. I thought it might be about recommendations for places to visit or similar.

8DA50A3F-1EF0-485A-8D36-7E8B9AF7BE7A.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I haven't looked on the covid thread at all. I've heard about it though... 

Just now, jonesy said:

None this winter so far, as it's still autumn 😜 

Might head across Arrochar way on Friday coming to have a wander about in what will be, as ever when I go solo walking, shitty conditions with enough visibility to see the end of my sleeves.

I meant Munros in total (and we have had winters before in which you could have bagged some). :D I'm thinking of having a go at some as a challenge starting on my 60th. Do you know any good resources that show a possible plan of attack (groupings of Munros that can be done in a day sort of thing)?

My humble opinion is that there was a period from January to early March 2020 when our politicians and the UK  virology experts  were simply not on the same wavelength.    Politicians were very reluctant to even consider imposing  any  restrictions on the public & businesses, so a battle was looming between them and the virology experts once they'd  learned from  colleagues around the world what  this new Covid thing actually was and in what way was it different to previous corona viruses.   

This urgent need for  accurate knowledge about Covid transmission must have played out in all countries - you'd expect all the virology experts around the world  to have shared and understood the same info, so any variation in how country X reacted compared to country Y would most likely be a political decision,  influenced by factors such as size / distribution / culture / lifestyle  of populations.     

Sweden seems pretty different to the UK in those population aspects, imo.

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

None this winter so far, as it's still autumn 😜 

Might head across Arrochar way on Friday coming to have a wander about in what will be, as ever when I go solo walking, shitty conditions with enough visibility to see the end of my sleeves.

Oh god remember the rabid dogs were on to you big time on the covid thread when you said you had   taken your kids out for fresh air but trespassed  against one of Nippys imaginary lines borders in the hills ? 😂😂

Maybe we need a new covid thread , with just “ the highlights “ of it 😂😂😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I’m far more zen now so don’t get too worked up about covid now . It happened . That’s it . Time to move on . 

B22B3B16-D08D-4107-A19F-C3271F1097BA.gif

871472E5-FA0B-428A-9459-29B8D397C5BF.gif

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the problem was at the time of the CL game and cheltenham a lot of the western world did not take it seriously. it was assumed it would be like the swine flu or simliar and basically not affect us. Just look at the opening few pages of the covid thread to see peoples initial reactions to it before lockdown happened

Wait till you get to the bit where people are boasting about travelling 30 miles in November to find a beer garden. 😁

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m far more zen now so don’t get too worked up about covid now . It happened . That’s it . Time to move on . 

B22B3B16-D08D-4107-A19F-C3271F1097BA.gif

871472E5-FA0B-428A-9459-29B8D397C5BF.gif

Mind and humm like the bees 🤣

ColinSmith1255
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I took a lot of flack on here by praising Sweden's approach to the pandemic. Does anyone now think Sweden was wrong and we were right?

Norway is a better comparison for Sweden than the UK.

Sweden has a population of 10.2 million and a covid death total of 20896.

Norway has a population of 5.5 million and a covid death total of 4325.

Norway locked down harder than Sweden and their death rate was substantially lower.

Suggests lockdowns saved lives. Maybe a right wing Swedish government were more interested in money than people staying alive.

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No idea, TBH. A gentleman never counts/discloses his conquests... Been hillwalking since I was about 20, and tend to do half a dozen each year, but then I've had years abroad, too, so no idea.

There are some great multi-Munro days out. Ben Cruachan was one of my most memorable days out, Beinn a'Ghlo was done in shitty conditions, so I probably missed out on some of the best views. The links will take you to Walk Highlands, which will give you all you need to start planning. Having done the northernmost, southernmost and easternmost Munros, I'd like to do the westernmost on the mainland, Ladhar Bheinn. I doff my cap to the completists, but there's no way I could be arsed hunting down and ticking off lists of mountains.

I'm more interested in distance than height these days and have done the WHW and GGW (both in 3 days) in the last couple of years. Tentatively planning to do the Scottish National Trail next year, too before doing the American triple crown once my bairns are finished with high school.

Sweet. Thanks for these links, jonesy. Ben Cruachan has some meaning for me ever since it featured in tales during some research I did on the McIntyre clan so that sounds like one I would love to do.

Edited by redjambo

Dennis Reynolds

I've mentioned before on here that my wife is Swedish and still has family living there. The absolute bat shit assumptions made on here about Sweden during covid are so far off the mark, you would as well talking about Brazil. Far too many folk read something on Twitter/Facebook and take it as absolute gospel. Speaking to actual Swedish people would blow your minds.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What has been said that's so wide if the mark would you say?

Yes I’d like to know that too 

Dennis Reynolds

Bars and Restaurants whilst being allowed to be kept open were under extremely strict guidelines. Maximum number of people allowed at a table, table service only, early closing times, not mixing out with households, outside only for some and if they didn't comply, they were shut and find heavily. At one point there was an 8pm alcohol ban. Masks on all public transport. Strict entry requirements to get past the border. Majority of non-essential places were completely shut. Advised to shop alone. They also have a much higher percentage of people living alone. Flat shares etc aren't really a big thing over here. That's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head. My wife couldn't go back untill she could prove she had had covid or was vaccinated which was around two years after it all started. It was very far from the completely open utopia that's made out.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Bars and Restaurants whilst being allowed to be kept open were under extremely strict guidelines. Maximum number of people allowed at a table, table service only, early closing times, not mixing out with households, outside only for some and if they didn't comply, they were shut and find heavily. At one point there was an 8pm alcohol ban. Masks on all public transport. Strict entry requirements to get past the border. Majority of non-essential places were completely shut. Advised to shop alone. They also have a much higher percentage of people living alone. Flat shares etc aren't really a big thing over here. That's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head. My wife couldn't go back untill she could prove she had had covid or was vaccinated which was around two years after it all started. It was very far from the completely open utopia that's made out.

👍

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I only opened as I was in Malmo ten days ago, bit meh. Being almost cashless would cut down on infections I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Cheers👍

What sort of thundering gobshite would compare two countries with different policies and experiences and conclude "TA-DAAAAAA! Country A was right and Country B made a bollix of it"?  

All you could get from an "analysis" like that would be a couple of data points.

Sweden had a mixture of different approaches that were said to be less restrictive than the UK's. So what?  Ireland was apparently more restrictive than both, and outperformed both in terms of both death rates and economic loss and subsequent recovery.  Germany, the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark and Norway all ended up with lower death rates than Sweden.  Maybe they all pursued the same policies, maybe there was a mix, TBH I've no idea, and I'm not sure anyone else here has either.

Maybe if Scotland could close the border and have full control of our finances, we could have shut the borders when Europe was a mess, brought in our own furlough.  (Mind when Rishi said Scotland can't have it, then London went tits up again, and hey presto, furlough was back on again). Then we could stopped caravaners going back and forward to their caravan sites infecting everyone as they go. 

Scotland's response wasn't the problem, it was Boris, Matt, Rishi and the other Tory filth pissing about shaking hands, banging secretaries, testing their eyes and commiting fraud with tax payers money, instead of shutting the place down. Scotland couldn't use the armed forces either, according to big Ben Wallace.

Sweden runs its own country, Scotland is owned by the English and has to rely on WM. Maybe if we charged the same price for a pint as they do, we'd have less frothers(Cause their dutch courage would be too dear)wanting to be big hardmen shouting at wee folk who wear masks, but surprising don't say a thing to folk who'd make them wish they had Covid. 

Next time, go with the likes of FA and NT. Then our pensioners and disabled would be wiped out and it'd save us a fortune on pensions and disability allowance. Not! 

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It should have been a one nation strategy / approach . Would have cut off the silly games which some leaders played to score points over each other . 

We're not one nation, and I'd rather Boris didn't have any say on covid or anything else  The fat ******* ended up(Supposedly) on life support because of his stupidity.

Edited by ri Alban

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I took a lot of flack on here by praising Sweden's approach to the pandemic. Does anyone now think Sweden was wrong and we were right?

No and you were talking shite about Sweden then and are talking shite about Sweden now. 

You are full of shite.

12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Says the man who follows his team all the way to Europe, doesn't go into the game and falls down a set of stairs on the way back :lol:

Now that's dingbat stupid 

Mine was a one off, you seem to prove yours on a daily basis on here.

12 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

She never ruined my Xmas last year, more fool you if you let her spoil yours although I'm pretty sure she didn't even try.

Nucky Thompson
29 minutes ago, graygo said:

Mine was a one off, you seem to prove yours on a daily basis on here.

One off. Aye ok then :lol:

You're forgetting I was at one of the Kickback nights in the Gorgie suite with you a couple of years back :welldone:

I reckon the most damage from it all will come in the future when a bad virus comes and people think 'fool me twice shame on me' and ignore the 'guidance' on mass.

In the interim, folk on both sides need to let it go. It's done, forget about it and move on.

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You're forgetting I was at one of the Kickback nights in the Gorgie suite with you a couple of years back :welldone:

:jj:

13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And?

Lord Montpelier
53 minutes ago, graygo said:

She never ruined my Xmas last year, more fool you if you let her spoil yours although I'm pretty sure she didn't even try.

Your business was obviously not reliant on festive income. Lucky you. 

19 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Your business was obviously not reliant on festive income. Lucky you. 

Pretty sure things were back to normal last year. They were for me anyway. Lucky me.

Nucky Thompson
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

Pretty sure things were back to normal last year. They were for me anyway. Lucky me.

Sturgeon advised people not to meet up for Christmas parties, so they were all cancelled on the lead up to Christmas.

She locked us down again on the 27th of December. I lost out on hospitality at Tynecastle

The only reason she lifted it again a few weeks later is because England didn't follow suit.

We were still being told to wear masks up until this summer :rofl:

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

E656ED4C-BE81-413D-A611-833A738747AA.jpeg