***Offishul Qatar World Cup 2022 Thread***

Cade

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Semis tend to be decent, finals tend to be rotten

Last one was pretty good, but I think a lot of nervous energy comes into play.

Fear of mistake overrides flair and freedom.

I fear for a very cagey uneventful game. 

Hope I am wrong.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Yes, tonight's commentators were better than last night's, but that's still not necessarily a compliment 

It was night and day.

The main commentator mostly did his job of naming the player on the ball, even if the ball was being played out of defence.

The ITV guy couldn't be bothered doing that. That's what I call skiving. He deserves the sack.

Danny Murphy actually pointed things out that were relevant, about changes in tactics and formations, the impact of that etc, which, crucially, a TV audience might not spot. And his appraisals of players seemed pretty accurate.

By comparison, ITV had two pundits in addition to the commentator. Three people. Why? The inevitable result is that instead of the two essential ingredients of

1. Who the players are

2. Some observations about the shape of the game, and things you might not have noticed

(both of which BBC did well)

On ITV you got three blokes who'd gone to a football match together, mostly expressing their awe about Messi, occasionally bringing in relevant stuff like what a noise the Argie fans make in our posh hotel in the evenings (keeping us awake). Maybe it keeps them awake, but the endless recounting of trivia puts me to sleep. Utterly appalling.

I'd also acknowledge that in other combinations, McCoist generally performs well. But with Whatshisface and the other guy it's football commentary inspired by Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Edited by 4marsbars
added something

7 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The detestable Simon Jordon on TalkSport 10 mins ago stated that he hates France and Argentina, and he's trying to decide which one of them is less of a disease to give him someone to shout on in the final, surely that sort of hate speech can't be right on national radio? 

It was words to that effect but he definitely called both nations "a disease", I only put it on to listen to their pain of being eliminated and to come out with that claptrap is just incredible. 

That kind of nationalist expressions of hatred unfortunately is all too prevalent at international football.

Decrying other nations and desperate for their teams to lose. 

Plenty of it it in contributions here too, which jars when your only here for the football.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s the classic obsession over war and past wars. An entire country that defines itself with past battles. 

So Englishmen hate anyone they've ever been at war with, forever?

That's just about everybody, isn't it? Including themselves.

Pricks.

Edited by Cade

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The detestable Simon Jordon on TalkSport 10 mins ago stated that he hates France and Argentina, and he's trying to decide which one of them is less of a disease to give him someone to shout on in the final, surely that sort of hate speech can't be right on national radio? 

It was words to that effect but he definitely called both nations "a disease", I only put it on to listen to their pain of being eliminated and to come out with that claptrap is just incredible. 

Jordan is an insufferable bore, with a hint of nastiness thrown in.

Combining him with White is the best excuse to turn radio off you could think of.

Malinga the Swinga

Shame Morocco have acted like kids and officially complained to FIFA about referee of semi final.

I thought he was fair enough and Morocco lost because they made mistakes at back as well as failing to take any chances that came their way.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Shame Morocco have acted like kids and officially complained to FIFA about referee of semi final.

I thought he was fair enough and Morocco lost because they made mistakes at back as well as failing to take any chances that came their way.

Just like England. When they got laughed out the tournament.  Absolutely no way England or Morocco were winning the cup. But it's everyone else's fault.  Bad losers never win.👍usually 😀

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Really? I'm struggling to think of any real cause for complaint beyond that potentially harsh booking first half? 

1 minute ago, BlueRiver said:

Really? I'm struggling to think of any real cause for complaint beyond that potentially harsh booking first half? 

Bad losers mate . That all it comes down too . 

Just now, Peteg75 said:

Bad losers mate . That all it comes down too . 

Right shame. Thought they'd carried themselves brilliantly all tournament. Went looking there and apparently 2 clear penalties they're on about?! Can't even remember anything that could be close beyond the incident I mentioned and to call that a clear penalty is a stretch. 

7 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

they are claiming that booking for boufal was a penalty and that one of their players was fouled in the box for another penalty.

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Right shame. Thought they'd carried themselves brilliantly all tournament. Went looking there and apparently 2 clear penalties they're on about?! Can't even remember anything that could be close beyond the incident I mentioned and to call that a clear penalty is a stretch. 

All was good until they lost. Look at the carnage afterwards.   Like England.. all hype ending in failure. Sounds like Scotland.  Except we usually behave 😇

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

they are claiming that booking for boufal was a penalty and that one of their players was fouled in the box for another penalty.

They were kicking the French at every chance. Evens it up I say

2 minutes ago, Peteg75 said:

All was good until they lost. Look at the carnage afterwards.   Like England.. all hype ending in failure. Sounds like Scotland.  Except we usually behave 😇

Very true. We accept we're pish 🤣

Despite rumours, Benzema has seemingly said he's not interested in playing in the final. 

Also have I missed a massive scandal about him? 

28 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Despite rumours, Benzema has seemingly said he's not interested in playing in the final. 

There was that blackmail thing he was involved in

30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Maguire 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Had a very good world cup. 

Not sure I'd have him in the overall best team mind you. He hasn't been good enough to take the place of someone who has maybe played 2 games more at a good level. At this moment in time it's maybe fair enough.

I'd take Acuna out of there, the rest of it looks decent enough.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Homme said:

Not sure I'd have him in the overall best team mind you. He hasn't been good enough to take the place of someone who has maybe played 2 games more at a good level. At this moment in time it's maybe fair enough.

He's been OK. He's made quite a few mistakes but none on the monumental level which have been punished. 

Similar as Porteous' debut for Scotland where some would lead you to believe we had Jaap Stam playing for us. He made lots of silly mistakes in the game but was bailed out each time by his team mates. He made a massive error in the closing stages and did well to put a recovering tackle in. 

There's been several that have out performed Maguire. Varane for starters. 

8 hours ago, Homme said:

Would have Otamendi in there, been surprisingly excellent. And probably the Moroccan left back for Acuna. 

And Bellingham for Ounahi

13 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

He was out of the French team for a long time due to this case. That's why he wasn't involved in the last World Cup.

Saturday 17th December

Losers final. 15:00 GMT. Croatia vs Morocco. BBC1.

5JKoLJ0.png Croatia lost their semi.

sVfDPxQ.png Morocco lost their semi.

Nobody cares about this stupid game, especially when Hearts are playing at the same time.

Edited by Cade

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If France win do they keep the trophy?

No

Germany have won that particular trophy 3 times anyway.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Morocco raging again

They are whinging about feck all - Amrabat should have had a red and a pen awarded in the second half.

Sunday 18th December

This is it!
World Cup Final day is upon us.
Winner goes into the history books and a nation rejoices.

Kick off is at 15:00 GMT and sees Argentina taking on France, broadcast on both BBC1 and ITV1.

8rmI0Ub.png Argentina are looking for their third World Cup title. Messi is looking for the only major trophy that has eluded his illustrious career.
They've had to fight hard to get to the final (literally in the case of their ill-tempered Quarter-Final with The Netherlands). 
They were far from convincing in the group stage and even lost a game they were expected to win, but have grown as the tournament has progressed. They've not really been in total control of any game and always feel vulnerable. But then they do have Messi. 
He's 35 years old now and this is surely his last chance to win the World Cup. There is, as always, massive expectations and pressure to win being heaped on him. Instead of that pressure getting to him and making him tighten up as it has done in the past, it seems that he's not feeling any pressure at all.
He's enjoying his football and not trying too hard, just playing his game and it's working a treat.
He's joint top scorer in this tournament on 5 goals. Maybe he'll get the Golden Boot AND the World Cup.
Julian Alvarez is one goal behind on 4.
Argentina are playing like a proper unified team and not just 10+Messi. 

BvrFpUb.png France are also looking for their third World Cup title, and their 2nd in a row. Didier Deschamps is looking for his own third World Cup trophy (1 as player, 2 as manager).
Like their opponents, they've grown into this tournament, slowly shifting through the gears. They too lost a group game they were expected to win. They too seem to have a vulnerability to them and only have one clean sheet to their name so far. 
They've been missing key players from the start. No Pogba. No Benzema. No Kante. No Kimpembe. No Diaby. But they do still have Griezmann, Giroud and Mbappe.
Griezmann is revelling in his new role as a Midfield Maestro rather than an out-and-out attacking player. He's the guy pulling the strings and making things happen. 
Olivier Giroud is 36 years old. This is surely his last chance to win another World Cup. Some people don't rate him, but that's just because he's an old fashioned, traditional #9.
He's a striker. And that's it. He scores goals. 
He's joint top scorer in this tournament on 5 goals. Maybe he'll get the Golden Boot AND the World Cup.
Kylian Mbappe is one goal behind on 4.
France are playing like a proper unified team and not a random collection of big-name players.

This could be an epic game. I can't pick between the two sides. Both have strengths, both have weaknesses, both have goals in them.
So brace yourself for a 0-0 draw and penalties.

:greggy:

Fozzyonthefence
On 17/12/2022 at 00:59, Homme said:

I thought he looked poor v Senegal.  Didn’t see their game v USA and he had little to do v Wales and Iran.  Both Australian centre backs had better tournaments for starters and only played one game less.  

Argentina XI: Martinez, Molina, Otamendi, Romero, Tagliafico, De Paul, Fernandez, Mac Allister, Di Maria, Alvarez, Messi (c).

France XI: Lloris (c), Kounde, Varane, Upamecano, Hernandez, Tchouameni, Rabiot, Griezmann, Dembele, Mbappe, Giroud.

33 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

As is customary for closing ceremonies, nobody watching has a ****ing clue what is going on.

Some lovely singers no?

Shooter McGavin

Messi wins the holy grail of his career, or Mbappe puts himself one closer to Pele’s World Cup count.

What a final we have here!