Why Olympic Curling Stones Are So Expensive

JFK-1

A single curling stone certified for the Olympics costs over $600. That makes a full set of 16 stones worth $9,600. Since 2006, every stone used in the Olympic Winter Games has come from Kays of Scotland.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A single curling stone certified for the Olympics costs over $600. That makes a full set of 16 stones worth $9,600. Since 2006, every stone used in the Olympic Winter Games has come from Kays of Scotland.

And the curling stone handles are manufactured in Canada. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for posting this, @JFK-1. It was an interesting watch.

Think I want to go there to see the island now. I have seen it from the shore many times but would like to set foot on it. It's around 8 miles out.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Think I want to go there to see the island now. I have seen it from the shore many times but would like to set foot on it. It's around 8 miles out.

It would be a lovely trip, especially if you like nature and wildlife watching, and the knowledge that you're standing on the granite that's used to make curling stones would be quite an experience, I would imagine. You're probably already aware, but you can get boat trips there from Girvan.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It would be a lovely trip, especially if you like nature and wildlife watching, and the knowledge that you're standing on the granite that's used to make curling stones would be quite an experience, I would imagine. You're probably already aware, but you can get boat trips there from Girvan.

He'd probably be too stoned to realise he's standing on the stone that the stones are made of.

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

I wasn't exactly aware of boat trips but suspected as much. Wasn't sure how much of that type of thing might go on given it's a bird sanctuary. And I wont be able to visit anytime soon as i'm in Oklahoma and have been for over 10 years.

Must be impressive close up given it looks so big from the shore.