When Pirates Mistook a Warship for a Cargo Ship

JFK-1

manaliveits105

I recall a story about the pirates high  jacking a Saudi ship and demanding a huge ransom - the Saudis paid up in cash 

However the Saudis knew where the pirates village was and let them take the cash back to the village then sent their air force to blow the village and the cash to smithereens - nae luck .

Cairneyhill Jambo

This was doing the rounds on Facebook a while ago. A US navy boat being attacked. 

They fire off a few warning rounds then just hammer it. 

42 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

This was doing the rounds on Facebook a while ago. A US navy boat being attacked. 

Except it isn’t. It’s an exercise to test the technology of the remote fire guns. 

Dick Dastardly
On 16/10/2022 at 21:38, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I've seen stormtroopers with better aim than that! 

It amazes me that these cargo ships carrying millions worth of goods don’t employ their own army to protect their ships and let half a dozen wee tossers in a rickety old boat take over their ships and demand huge ransom fees.

6 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

It amazes me that these cargo ships carrying millions worth of goods don’t employ their own army to protect their ships and let half a dozen wee tossers in a rickety old boat take over their ships and demand huge ransom fees.

The ship owners don't own the cargo which is likely insured, to a certain extent, by them. Cheaper than having a standing armed force, for most shippers, I imagine. 

manaliveits105

I did a cruise through Suez Canal to Dubai and when we left Israel we had some extra passengers - mercenary security with their “toys” as the Captain put it - when we reached pirate seas the ship sailed in complete darkness with all curtains drawn and outside lights off - for 2 nights you weren’t allowed on open decks in the dark which were patrolled by the security with machine guns - it was interesting . 

13 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The ship owners don't own the cargo which is likely insured, to a certain extent, by them. Cheaper than having a standing armed force, for most shippers, I imagine. 

They frequently do actually, but it's typically private security firms rather than formal military/paramilitary-type security. I've been on ships transiting around the Nigeria/Angola region - better called Pirate Alley to be fair, and we had armed men on the bridge and patrolling the decks. 

32 minutes ago, trotter said:

They frequently do actually, but it's typically private security firms rather than formal military/paramilitary-type security. I've been on ships transiting around the Nigeria/Angola region - better called Pirate Alley to be fair, and we had armed men on the bridge and patrolling the decks. 

👍