What's the greatest decade of music?

ri Alban

• 4 weeks later...
the original dalry llama

90s - Pavement; Yo La Tengo; Liz Phair; Swervedriver; MBV; Lemonheads; Juliana Hatfield; The Breeders; dEUS; Sparklehorse; Wilco; Mazzy Star; Bikini Kill; Built To Spill; Slowdive; Sleater-Kinney; Stereolab; Le Tigre; Silver Jews

On 10/10/2022 at 20:33, frankblack said:

Yeah - have seen that documentary.  Got tix for DM.

Ladytron (more modern) are pretty good in this genre.  Named after a Roxy Music album.   Goldfrapp also (when they do Synth Pop).

I've never heard any of Ladytron's stuff but they're named after a song from Roxy's first album which is superb. Both the song and the album.

21 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I've never heard any of Ladytron's stuff but they're named after a song from Roxy's first album which is superb. Both the song and the album.

I don't really know Roxy's stuff beyond the big hits that you always see on TV.

Here's some Ladytron - a Liverpool synthpop band who have several albums:

I always felt the first song would be great at Tynie!

Edited by frankblack

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't really know Roxy's stuff beyond the big hits that you always see on TV.

Here's some Ladytron - a Liverpool synthpop band who have several albums:

Thanks for posting fb. They sound brilliant. Very 80s synth which I love. 

Roxy's later stuff was smoother and the trendsetter for the 80s. The early stuff is much better and totally different. Try any of their first 5 albums especially For Your Pleasure, the second album. Glorious!

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Roxy's later stuff was smoother and the trendsetter for the 80s. The early stuff is much better and totally different. Try any of their first 5 albums especially For Your Pleasure, the second album. Glorious!

Cheers - they are on my list, although I have a backlog of music to get through as I've been too busy with work recently.

Did catch Robert Plant last night at the Queens Hall with his band Saving Grace.  It was an excellent gig, and the band were all very strong musicians.

Just now, frankblack said:

Cheers - they are on my list, although I have a backlog of music to get through as I've been too busy with work recently.

Did catch Robert Plant last night at the Queens Hall with his band Saving Grace.  It was an excellent gig, and the band were all very strong musicians.

A legend at the Queens Hall! Should've been the Usher Hall. Can't beat great musicianship. Enjoy the music fb.

2 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Roxy Music went downhill and poppy after Eno left.  I saw them at the Odeon in 1974 and the girly adulation for Ferry had started even then. 😎

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

A legend at the Queens Hall! Should've been the Usher Hall. Can't beat great musicianship. Enjoy the music fb.

Cheers & likewise 👍

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Roxy Music went downhill and poppy after Eno left.  I saw them at the Odeon in 1974 and the girly adulation for Ferry had started even then. 😎

I wouldn't say that Stranded, Country Life or Siren are "poppy" albums. Love is the drug isn't even pop. A brilliant, inventive, groundbreaking song but it was a wee bit more commercial than earlier stuff I suppose 😉. Bryan Ferry is a cool dude though!

56 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Also caught Bob at the Queens last night, superb stuff, he still has a great voice. 

The young Edinburgh laddie Jack Butler that was supporting him was unbelievably talented. 

2 hours ago, the original dalry llama said:

90s - Pavement; Yo La Tengo; Liz Phair; Swervedriver; MBV; Lemonheads; Juliana Hatfield; The Breeders; dEUS; Sparklehorse; Wilco; Mazzy Star; Bikini Kill; Built To Spill; Slowdive; Sleater-Kinney; Stereolab; Le Tigre; Silver Jews

Some great shouts there. I still listen to a lot of them on a regular basis. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Also caught Bob at the Queens last night, superb stuff, he still has a great voice. 

Had a ticket to see them there in 2020 but that got cancelled outright.

Very decent setlist and good banter with the crowd.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/saving-grace/2022/the-queens-hall-edinburgh-scotland-5bbe1790.html

The Low cover version was touching as their singer/drummer has tragically been taken by cancer.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

The young Edinburgh laddie Jack Butler that was supporting him was unbelievably talented. 

That wasn't quite my thing but he seemed good at what he was doing.

SectionDJambo

Music seems to me to be something that different people have different tastes on. Much like if you don’t like a certain food but someone else does.

Why some try to ridicule somebody else’s taste in music is a mystery to me. 
I hit my teens in the 60s and still get nostalgic for 60s, 70s and 80s music, but I wouldn’t disregard anyone’s appreciation of the music of today.

Musical eras go back centuries never mind decades. Some people ridicule classical music and yet some contemporary music has copied or used it.

In short, music is a personal experience and just because you like a type of music doesn’t mean others who like something else are wrong.

6 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Music seems to me to be something that different people have different tastes on. Much like if you don’t like a certain food but someone else does.

Why some try to ridicule somebody else’s taste in music is a mystery to me. 
I hit my teens in the 60s and still get nostalgic for 60s, 70s and 80s music, but I wouldn’t disregard anyone’s appreciation of the music of today.

Musical eras go back centuries never mind decades. Some people ridicule classical music and yet some contemporary music has copied or used it.

In short, music is a personal experience and just because you like a type of music doesn’t mean others who like something else are wrong.

I agree, but Status Quo and Dire Straits are torture.