" This England"

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

I thought id give this a watch.  it's on Sky and it's about the Corona virus and its evolution focussing on the UK response to it.

Kenneth Branagh plays Boris Johnson. Yep you heard correctly.  He clearly though that this was a chance to play an almost Shakespearean character like Hamlet or Mcbeth.  At various times throughout the series, he mutters various lines from famous Shakespear plays.  Once you stop laughing at this you can then concentrate more on the other issues in the series. 

It's quite good at portraying the chain of events which led to the first lockdown and its very good at portraying the impact on ordinary people. In particular older adults in nursing or care homes. Some heart-breaking scenes actually. 

I know Branagh has been lambasted for his performance and the dreadful make on his face (looks like he has had a stroke) But he really captures BJ mumbling idiotic persona very well and his voice and mannerisms,

It mostly does feel like a " carry on corona virus" really as some of the other actors playing real people too are just as comical.  The actor Andrew Buchan (handsome guy) play Matt Hancock (not so handsome) and the guy playing Sunak is his spitting image.

OfCourse we dont really know what happened behind number 10 before and during the pandemic but this series is interesting i feel.  Brought back some memories id rather forget really.  

been here before

Took one look at Branagh in that Boris costume and just pissed myself laughing, gave it a swerve as I just couldnt take it seriously at all.

Disappointed this isnt about the Shane Meadows series of dramas. Those were brilliant.

Edited by been here before

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Sky do not get my coin so I'll be taking your word for it!

Well I’m usually very critical of tv programmes and tend to just like quality stuff but I quite like this . Still got 3 episodes of “ Season 1 “ ! Got knows what is meant to happen if there’s a season 2 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, kila said:

Why call it 'This England' and not 'This United Kingdom' I wonder...?

Yes I did wonder that. ! Must be a Shakespeare reference I assume ? 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, superjack said:

I seen a trailer for this last night and thought it looked like it could be good. Will start watching soon.

Seriously if u get passed the impersonations it’s quite gritty . 

On 03/10/2022 at 15:53, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes I did wonder that. ! Must be a Shakespeare reference I assume ? 

Yes, I think you’re correct. 

Nucky Thompson
On 03/10/2022 at 15:51, kila said:

Probably because devolved nations led their own responses to the virus

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

This. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That , and it links it with the numerous Shakespeare lines thrown in at various times by a rambling luvvie Branagh 

Shakespeare’s Richard II

This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,--This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

the posh bit

Probably something to do with Johnson's act of appearing clever to the plebs by quoting posh shite or some Latin gibberish. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Shakespeare’s Richard II

This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,--This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Thanks for that 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Probably something to do with Johnson's act of appearing clever to the plebs by quoting posh shite or some Latin gibberish. 

:cornette_dog:

Nucky Thompson

We could get Jimmy Krankie to play Nicola Sturgeon in the Scottish version of I just copied Boris Johnson 3 weeks later 

Nucky Thompson

But when I tried to get on top of Boris, I ****ed up and made an erse of myself.

Lockdown Boxing Day 2021 :vrface:

Edited by Nucky Thompson

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

But when I tried to get on top of Boris, I ****ed up and made an erse of myself.

Lockdown Boxing Day 2021 :vrface:

Yep. Never forget . 

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep. Never forget . 

You lot don't half talk pish, when it comes to Covid. How much money did the SG siphon off to their mates and how many parties were they having whist telling us to sit in the Hoose. Boris did nothing but abuse the whole UK. If he'd closed the borders whist Europe was in obvious peril, we'd have fecking had less deaths and coped better economy wise. But naw, he was telling everyone it was fine and shaking hands with patients. 

You're right, I'll never forget who tried to help and who didn't, James.

Edited by ri Alban

On 08/10/2022 at 21:26, Nucky Thompson said:

We could get Jimmy Krankie to play Nicola Sturgeon in the Scottish version of I just copied Boris Johnson 3 weeks later 

🤣🤣🤣

il Duce McTarkin
On 08/10/2022 at 20:26, Nucky Thompson said:

:rofl: