Rip Louise Fletcher

JudyJudyJudy

You may not recall the name but I can bet you’ll recall  her greatest Role as Nurse Ratchet in “ One flew over the cuckoos nest “ . It was a stunning performance , I feel she played it so well as it was also quite ambiguous , as her character was a dangerous individual , much more than the inmates , but she was so subtle .

One of the great acting performances in cinema history . 

She never reached the heights of that Oscar winning role but she played some memorable other parts , particularly in 
 “ Star Trek” 

it’s one of several films I can nearly quote line for line watching 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Great as Ratched. One of those characters that got under the skin and she delivered it perfectly. 

RIP.

Edited by indianajones

Had to check who she was in Star Trek. Played that villian character brilliantly, making the watcher (or at least this one) really dislike her.

51LDSRzArmL._AC_.jpg

55 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You may not recall the name but I can bet you’ll recall  her greatest Role as Nurse Ratchet in “ One flew over the cuckoos nest “ . It was a stunning performance , I feel she played it so well as it was also quite ambiguous , as her character was a dangerous individual , much more than the inmates , but she was so subtle .

One of the great acting performances in cinema history . 

She never reached the heights of that Oscar winning role but she played some memorable other parts , particularly in 
 “ Star Trek” 

it’s one of several films I can nearly quote line for line watching 

What a performance, nuanced, intelligent, dangerous. So many levels.

RIP Loiuse.

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Great as Ratched. One of those characters that got under the skin and she delivered it perfectly. 

RIP.

Yes she certainly did. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Had to check who she was in Star Trek. Played that villian character brilliantly, making the watcher (or at least this one) really dislike her.

51LDSRzArmL._AC_.jpg

Ive only read about her role in this online but she seems to have played a nasty piece of work in this too :) 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

RIP Loiuse.

30 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

Probably my favourite film of all time. RIP Louise

its mine too 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

RIP Loiuse.

Yes its a very multi layered performance.  She plays its so well as the character doesn't actually do anything outwith her professional role as a nurse, explicitly but the viewer know Shes no good.  She seems to get a thrill from being the authority figure and being in control. The worse part of her character is she actually believes she is caring for the patients and helping them. She genuinely believes that.  But we aren't fooled. She vindicative and I think sexually repressed and angry about the confines of her sex at a time when women have less power in men, generally within society. She actually very cruel and in an odd way excited in the group scenes as she is acutely aware that some of the patients do not wish to talk about difficult issues, but she goads them too. The scene i posted is probably when her mask slips and Mc Murphy goes ape shit. 

57 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes its a very multi layered performance.  She plays its so well as the character doesn't actually do anything outwith her professional role as a nurse, explicitly but the viewer know Shes no good.  She seems to get a thrill from being the authority figure and being in control. The worse part of her character is she actually believes she is caring for the patients and helping them. She genuinely believes that.  But we aren't fooled. She vindicative and I think sexually repressed and angry about the confines of her sex at a time when women have less power in men, generally within society. She actually very cruel and in an odd way excited in the group scenes as she is acutely aware that some of the patients do not wish to talk about difficult issues, but she goads them too. The scene i posted is probably when her mask slips and Mc Murphy goes ape shit. 

Haven't seen it in years. Difficult subject matter to film but brilliantly produced, directed and acted.

9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Haven't seen it in years. Difficult subject matter to film but brilliantly produced, directed and acted.

I watch it once a year or more. Yes it's a great ensemble piece., Everyone is terrific in it 

26 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

wasn`t it one of the first films to win all the major oscars? well deserved

48_memorable_moment_2.jpg

It was the second . The first was “ it happened one night “ in 1934 . The third was “ the silence of the lambs “ . 

5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It was the second . The first was “ it happened one night “ in 1934 . The third was “ the silence of the lambs “ . 

:thumbsup:

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Watched The Silence of the Lambs again recently. Absolutely top drawer all round.

9 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Watched The Silence of the Lambs again recently. Absolutely top drawer all round.

Yea it really is. Thoroughly deserved the top 5 Oscar’s . It’s probably my favourite film really . Well it’s between that , Cuckoos nest or “ All about Eve “  all superb and watched countless times. It’s hard to believe that Hopkins is only in the film for 22 minutes ! Such is his presence in it . 

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yea it really is. Thoroughly deserved the top 5 Oscar’s . It’s probably my favourite film really . Well it’s between that , Cuckoos nest or “ All about Eve “  all superb and watched countless times. It’s hard to believe that Hopkins is only in the film for 22 minutes ! Such is his presence in it . 

Is that right? Only 22 minutes. Bloody hell.

Totally agree, he has such presence. What kind of mind is swimming behind those cold, blue eyes.

Without looking up the answers, 8 films have been nominated for the 5 main Oscars at the same ceremony and failed to win any of them. Name any of those 8 films.

All About Eve - cracking film, btw.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Without looking up the answers, 8 films have been nominated for the 5 main Oscars at the same ceremony and failed to win any of them. Name any of those 8 films.

All About Eve - cracking film, btw.

That’s a good question . I promise I won’t look it up . I’m putting my thinking head on ! ( I sometimes have one ) im

starting from the 1930s 

Wuthering heights 

Woman of the year 

cat on a hot tin roof 

a star is born 1954 

bonnie and Clyde 

the graduate 

long days journey into night

Anne of a thousand days 

these really are complete guesses.   Educated ones but guesses . 

yes my female pal visited one night and we had a few drinks and nibbles and she was gobsmacked I could say nearly every line 😂 

20 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Is that right? Only 22 minutes. Bloody hell.

Totally agree, he has such presence. What kind of mind is swimming behind those cold, blue eyes.

Yes only 22 minutes . Incredible . 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s a good question . I promise I won’t look it up . I’m putting my thinking head on ! ( I sometimes have one ) im

starting from the 1930s 

Wuthering heights 

Woman of the year 

cat on a hot tin roof 

a star is born 1954 

bonnie and Clyde 

the graduate 

long days journey into night

Anne of a thousand days 

these really are complete guesses.   Educated ones but guesses . 

yes my female pal visited one night and we had a few drinks and nibbles and she was gobsmacked I could say nearly every line 😂 

I didn't know you were educated. ;)

Spot on with Bonnie and Clyde & Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. :thumb: The 1937 A Star is Born was nominated for all 5 but only won Best Screenplay. Mike Nichols won Best Director for the Graduate. All the rest weren't nominated for all 5 main Oscars. If you want to go for the remaining six, go for it. I'm sure Louise won't mind. Actually, as Nurse Ratched, I'm sure she *would* mind.

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I used to live a short bus ride from the location: https://traveloregon.com/things-to-do/attractions/museums/oregon-film-tour-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest/

Would pass the place when going to the shopping centre. Given the nick of the average bus-going punter in the States, it felt, for a few moments as the bus passed, that you were in a scene from the film.

:D Immediately the image came to my mind of Pink Floyd singing "The lunatics are in the bus".

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I didn't know you were educated. ;)

Spot on with Bonnie and Clyde & Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. :thumb: The 1937 A Star is Born was nominated for all 5 but only won Best Screenplay. Mike Nichols won Best Director for the Graduate. All the rest weren't nominated for all 5 main Oscars. If you want to go for the remaining six, go for it. I'm sure Louise won't mind. Actually, as Nurse Ratched, I'm sure she *would* mind.

My thinking behind my choices was around the two lead performances which were probably acclaimed at the time.  Right ill try again.  Its a tough question. 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My thinking behind my choices was around the two lead performances which were probably acclaimed at the time.  Right ill try again.  Its a tough question.

I'm impressed that you got two so far, to be honest. It is indeed a tough question. Let me know if you need any clues.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm impressed that you got two so far, to be honest. It is indeed a tough question. Let me know if you need any clues.

I think ill need some clues 

32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The Rainmaker 

Remains of the day

Ironweed 

Broadcast news 

THis sporting life 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

55 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The Rainmaker 

Remains of the day

Ironweed 

Broadcast news 

THis sporting life 

And you bag a third with The Remains of the Day.

One of the remaining films in the list had the same person nominated in one of the categories as in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

One had a director with the same first name as one of the films you've already got.

One was a biographical film from 1974 with a single name title.

One is the name of a conurbation in eastern USA.

And the last one was a recent 2013 offering that was nominated for 10 Oscars and starred several younger box office stars.

Edited by redjambo

It must be fun for an actor or an actress when your film is nominated for all five major Oscars and wins them all except in your category. It happened to Clarke Gable in Gone With The Wind, Walter Pidgeon in Mrs Miniver, Woody Allen in Annie Hall (as actor - he won Best Director and shared Best Screenplay), and Annette Bening in American Beauty.

One of the remaining films in the list had the same person nominated in one of the categories as in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  

One had a director with the same first name as one of the films you've already got.   

One was a biographical film from 1974 with a single name title.  :Lennie 

One is the name of a conurbation in eastern USA.  

And the last one was a recent 2013 offering that was nominated for 10 Oscars and starred several younger box office stars.  

I have only guessed one 

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It must be fun for an actor or an actress when your film is nominated for all five major Oscars and wins them all except in your category. It happened to Clarke Gable in Gone With The Wind, Walter Pidgeon in Mrs Miniver, Woody Allen in Annie Hall (as actor - he won Best Director and shared Best Screenplay), and Annette Bening in American Beauty.

Or watch your main co stars win an Oscar and you dont.

Vivienne Leigh KIm Stanly and Karl Malden all won and one of Oscars great travesties with not awarding to Mr Brando for " a streetcar named desire" 

image-23-10-21-06-58-8.gif

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

One of the remaining films in the list had the same person nominated in one of the categories as in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Paul Newman - The Hustler

One had a director with the same first name as one of the films you've already got. Arthur Hiller - Love Story

One was a biographical film from 1974 with a single name title.

One is the name of a conurbation in eastern USA.  Atlantic City.

And the last one was a recent 2013 offering that was nominated for 10 Oscars and starred several younger box office stars. American Hustle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Five_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

Vivienne Leigh KIm Stanly and Karl Malden all won and one of Oscars great travesties with not awarding to Mr Brando for " a streetcar named desire" 

I didn't know you were a Brando fan. ;)

millerjames398

Nicholson's line "well aint you just the *****" when she snubs the patients, from watching the baseball game on tv, summed her up perfect😂..brilliant performance..

59 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I kept thinking of Paul Newman in relation to cat on a hot tin roof but couldn’t think another film with another lead actress nomination? Still can’t actually . I’m positive it wasn’t a leading actress nomination . I’ll need to check . The same with love story as Ryan one’ll of Ali McGraw surely weren’t nominated ? I may be wrong 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

58 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just checked that link . I didn’t know Oneal or McGraw got nominated ! Jeszz they are both rank actors 😂😂 ah Piper Laurie ! With Paul Newman . I was thinking along lines of Patricia Oneal in  “ HUD” but she won the award that year .

“ Atlantic city “ with the superb Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon who both lost to Henry Fonda and Hepburn for the awful “ on golden pond” 

I did as Think that Greer Garson might be in there somewhere too . 

I enjoyed that ! Thanks fir making me rack my brain ! 

👍

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

13 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Nicholson's line "well aint you just the *****" when she snubs the patients, from watching the baseball game on tv, summed her up perfect😂..brilliant performance..

Yes anc Ofcourse the moving ending and that music 

Her performance in OFOTCN was excellent, as others have said, that film is full of great performances.  Her Oscar acceptance speech was brilliant and very poignant.  It turns out both her parents were deaf and she ends her speech by paying tribute to them while signing.  I choke every time I watch it, just like I choke every time I watch the final scene of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl5U7nNlkY

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Her performance in OFOTCN was excellent, as others have said, that film is full of great performances.  Her Oscar acceptance speech was brilliant and very poignant.  It turns out both her parents were deaf and she ends her speech by paying tribute to them while signing.  I choke every time I watch it, just like I choke every time I watch the final scene of the movie.

:thumb:

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Yes, it is a moving acceptable speech. 

I watched the end scene this morning and it had me in tears again. It gets me every time.

Its incredibly moving and that music. 

19 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That look that Vivien Leigh gives Marlon Brando would be you 🤣

26 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

That look that Vivien Leigh gives Marlon Brando would be you 🤣

Oh aye !😂