Holiday ideas

yvonnejambo

yvonnejambo

Ok I have worked out I can take a week off in the middle of Aug. Now thinking it would nice to get away for that week but cant decide where or what type of break. I dont have a massive budget and thought about just driving somewhere and stopping at B & Bs, but now think that idea may be more expensive than just getting some last minute package holiday. Any ideas?

chester copperpot
Ok I have worked out I can take a week off in the middle of Aug. Now thinking it would nice to get away for that week but cant decide where or what type of break. I dont have a massive budget and thought about just driving somewhere and stopping at B & Bs, but now think that idea may be more expensive than just getting some last minute package holiday. Any ideas?

I'm just back from Benidorm, and loved every minute of it. I really really dont like packagy touristy places, however really enjoyed Benidorm.

Book seperately though, do not go through a travel agents. Cost me ?1500 for the week for the 4 of us, and I'm going back in September for just over 600 for the 4 of us.

Fly Edinburgh - Alicante - Ryanair. Book bus d from Alicante to Benidorm (easyjet do them). Book hotel's seperately, or even cheaper, apartments.

Griclesfield

try Stockholm, nice place, weather is warm ... flights are uber cheap .....loads to do and see.

its not a sit at the beach holiday but nice and relaxing.

North Berwick Jambo

You can get 2 adult return flights from Edinburgh to Dublin with Ryanair in the middle of August for ?100!

Well worth a wee visit! ;)

Going Out

Adult 3.99 GBP Sun, Aug 10

Flight FR 815 10:25

11:30 Depart

Arrive Edinburgh (EDI)

Dublin (DUB)

Coming Back

Adult 3.99 GBP Fri, Aug 15

Flight FR 812 06:30

07:30 Depart

Arrive Dublin (DUB)

Edinburgh (EDI)

Important Information

All travel is offered in accordance with Ryanair General Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage.

Separate fees apply for airport check-in/checked baggage (15kgs per person/no pooling)/excess baggage/sports/musical/infant equipment - see Terms and Conditions of Travel for further details.

Flight dates, times, routes and passenger names are changeable subject to applicable charges - please see Terms and Conditions of Travel for details.

All fares, airport taxes/fees and charges are non-refundable.

On unused tickets - the only refundable element is the Government Tax, which is subject to a reasonable administration fee.

Important!

I have read and accept Ryanair's terms and conditions, photo ID policy and the above Important Information and I will advise all other passengers travelling as part of this reservation of these conditions.

(Please check box to continue.)

Pricing

Going Out (Web Fare)

2 Adult @ 3.99 GBP 7.98 GBP

Taxes/Fees details 51.02 GBP

Coming Back (Web Fare)

2 Adult @ 3.99 GBP 7.98 GBP

Taxes/Fees details 33.48 GBP

Total Cost of Flight 100.46 GBP

Excluding handling fee (if applicable)

click here for information on handling fees

The Future's Maroon

I was in Salou last year, great for a weeks break - and next to Barcelona which is good for a day trip.

I'm just back from Benidorm, and loved every minute of it. I really really dont like packagy touristy places, however really enjoyed Benidorm.

Book seperately though, do not go through a travel agents. Cost me ?1500 for the week for the 4 of us, and I'm going back in September for just over 600 for the 4 of us.

Fly Edinburgh - Alicante - Ryanair. Book bus d from Alicante to Benidorm (easyjet do them). Book hotel's seperately, or even cheaper, apartments.

I really like Benidorm :D

although that is really expensive... My grandma was able to go onto the flyglobspan website and get deals like monday-friday in the sol pelicanos ?90

we also booked up for new year in Benidorm last year and it was just over ?900 for the three of us for 2 weeks.

but yeah defo think about Benidorm and its going to be lovely and hot in August!

:)

I think my Dad and his partner are taking a trip to Nice from Inverness in August with easyjet. Don't think the flights cost them all that much, although their accommodation is fairly costly. I'm sure there's cheap(er) options though if you are looking for a budget trip.

Captain Lithuania
Thanks im away to look at some of the suggestions. :)

Go up to Achiltibuie, my cousins have lots of B&B's and chalets, I'm sure you could get one there for not much, very relaxing, plenty to do, a fantastic, huge beach, smoke house, hypocondrium, 2 pubs ;), and plenty friendly folk.

yvonnejambo
Go up to Achiltibuie, my cousins have lots of B&B's and chalets, I'm sure you could get one there for not much, very relaxing, plenty to do, a fantastic, huge beach, smoke house, hypocondrium, 2 pubs ;), and plenty friendly folk.

Yeah that would be a change lol, was thinking of venturing a bit further afield :P

Captain Lithuania
Yeah that would be a change lol, was thinking of venturing a bit further afield :P

All the cheepo places like the Canaries, Benidorm, Turkey etc. are far too popular, I wouldn't dream of going to those places.

Nucky Thompson

Don't go to Benidorm, it's like Wester Hailes with sunshine:rolleyes:

try Stockholm, nice place, weather is warm ... flights are uber cheap .....loads to do and see.

And seriously expensive.

I was also going to recommend that as I know the people who run the chalets in Altandhu. Small world.

The beaches are a bit rocky are they not? As in all rocks!

2 pubs, a long way apart but you could drive between them, being sozzled at the wheel doesn't seem to be too much of an issue as long as you steer clear of going over the edge of a cliff.

Brilliant place and gutted I haven't made the Gathering for a couple of years.

I love the Fuaran.

2 pubs, a long way apart but you could drive between them, being sozzled at the wheel doesn't seem to be too much of an issue as long as you steer clear of going over the edge of a cliff.

Drink driving is unacceptable at any time. :mad:

If they indulge in it, I hope they do go off a cliff before they do any damage to any innocent people. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

yvonnejambo
I was also going to recommend that as I know the people who run the chalets in Altandhu. Small world.

The beaches are a bit rocky are they not? As in all rocks!

Brilliant place and gutted I haven't made the Gathering for a couple of years.

I love the Fuaran.

I was up there at the gathering last week, but was a sober one as it was with my work :sad:

Drink driving is unacceptable at any time. :mad:

If they indulge in it, I hope they do go off a cliff before they do any damage to any innocent people. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Quite agree, and I am sure Yvonne is more than sensible to have one at the Summer Isles before making her way to the Fuaran, a far better option.

My mad mate Connor was up for the Gathering, no doubt he was wearing an Iron Maiden T-shirt or something similar and singing Hibs songs with his Dad :wacko:

Lochend Brazil

Me, my wife and our wee girl are just back from York. Fantastic place with alot of history and that I had arrived on the Monday and I had seen a guy with a HMFC jacket on walking along Bootham area about 6ish made it even better.;). Alot of places to eat which are cheap and that we got a B&B right beside the footie stadium which was not a bad price.

Nucky Thompson
Me, my wife and our wee girl are just back from York. Fantastic place with alot of history and that I had arrived on the Monday and I had seen a guy with a HMFC jacket on walking along Bootham area about 6ish made it even better.;). Alot of places to eat which are cheap and that we got a B&B right beside the footie stadium which was not a bad price.
York is a cracking place, I'm down there just about every year. Like you say, there are loads of restaurants and things to do. I can't believe the Railway museum is free:eek:

I was in York yesterday with a fellow Jambo. We saw a young English lad wearing a 'Hibernian FC' hoodie. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Lochend Brazil
York is a cracking place, I'm down there just about every year. Like you say, there are loads of restaurants and things to do. I can't believe the Railway museum is free:eek:

The castle museum is ?7.50 per person.:(

Dusseldorf is lovely,theres a massive sqaure with 260 bars and restaurants

I also really enjoyed Norway the people are really friendly

I was in York yesterday with a fellow Jambo. We saw a young English lad wearing a 'Hibernian FC' hoodie. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Was it Pink :hobofish::hobofish::hobofish::hobofish::107years::107years::107years::P:p

You can get 2 adult return flights from Edinburgh to Dublin with Ryanair in the middle of August for ?100!

She's been already, and anyway it's too expensive and it's always raining in August. :biggrin:

I recommend Lisbon. Rent an apartment near Estoril or Cascais - we got one for the first week of July for about ?325. There are a couple of really nice beaches around there, as well as some decent (if quiet) bars and restaurants. Plus it's only a short train and metro ride into the city to take a break from the sun and do the culture vulture and/or shopping thing.

While Stockholm is an ace place to go, it's not the cheapest.

Denny Crane
While Stockholm is an ace place to go, it's not the cheapest.

True but there are compensations.

I P Knightley
Legoland Windsor.

Oh by Christ, that's an awful place.

Wife and eldest son are not long back from a long weekend in York and they had a marvellous time. They got digs in a place right beside the train station - name of "Bar Convent" or something close. I think it's a proper convent with real nuns and everything!

The city and all its attractions are walkable; there's bus and boat tours; there's a load of museums (railway, castle, Jorvik, dungeons) and it's all a 2 hour hope from Embra (though I realise that the OP is about a 4 hour hope from Embra in the first place!)

blondejamtart
All the cheepo places like the Canaries, Benidorm, Turkey etc. are far too popular, I wouldn't dream of going to those places.

Depends whereabouts you go - I hate the seriously busy, tacky touristy resorts with a vengeance, but I've just returned from my second trip to Turkey and absolutely loved it. So much so, in fact, that I'd seriously consider either buying property there or even moving there altogether. It's still cheaper than Spain and the people are so much friendlier and more welcoming.

Bert Le Clos

Try Eastern Europe, but stay away from the likes of Prague and Warsaw which are becoming more and more like Newcastle/Liverpool with the amount of stag doos.

I stayed in sweden and Stockholm is seriously expensive (Norway is worse!) but we got the ferry to Talin a few times which was ace and very cheap. Heard Latvia was very good too.

yvonnejambo

Im still looking, Turkey is a place i havent been before and some prices are pretty cheap. I just want to go somewhere that aint chav city and only full of nightclubs (going with my 15 year old son). Also dont want somewhere to remote-live like that here!

For the people who have been to Turkey where do you recomend?

blondejamtart
Im still looking, Turkey is a place i havent been before and some prices are pretty cheap. I just want to go somewhere that aint chav city and only full of nightclubs (going with my 15 year old son). Also dont want somewhere to remote-live like that here!

For the people who have been to Turkey where do you recomend?

I'd certainly avoid Marmaris - that's too chavvy for me. We go to Icmeler, which is just across the bay from Marmaris, but much quieter and really pretty. There are loads of other resorts which are supposed to be pretty good too though - I've heard good recommendations about Altkinum, Hisaronu and Olu Deniz, for example.

Remnants of Standards

Agreed!! Never seen so many fights in one concentrated concentration camp. All fun pubs should be burnt to the ground toot sweet. Benidorm that is.

yvonnejambo

Well lots of good help so thanks. I have gone for a week in Torrevieja in south Spain. Anyone been there before? It looks like what Im looking for with plenty of places to visit. I did really fancy Ulys advice from places outside Lisbon and found a great apartment but the flights were not great times or money for when I want go.

So I have managed to get a really nice apartment for a week and flights for both of us (inc baggage and transfers) for.........

?503

:)

Next year i will try Turkey and Lisbon ;)

Don't go to Benidorm, it's like Wester Hailes with sunshine:rolleyes:

Exactly, loads of wee hoors looking for any boaby they can get:dribble:

Archived